12+

The Border of Light, One

by MaryEvans

I knew I was in trouble the moment I saw her stroll down the centre aisle headed my way. My head bowed when she approached, and I shifted in my chair to silence the growing desire to flee. I felt her gaze heavy on me when she came to a halt, and for a heartbeat wondered if this was truly the end.

“Mind if I sit here?” she said and I inhaled, subtly, for I realized I had been holding my breath.

“Sure…” I uttered, slipping a single glance at the dozens of other empty tables.

She was testing waters, which meant she wasn’t sure if it was me yet. I wasn’t surprised. After so many lifetimes, even if similar, my appearance was different. My eyes were a warmer, bluer shade of gray, and my hair was a lighter brown. I was shorter too, for my dismay, but you lived with what you were given.

And she… She was just the same. From the tanned hue of her skin, through the depth of her blue eyes and to the glossy black of her hair.

She folded her skirt as she sat into the seat across from me, her gaze lingering for a moment longer than what I would consider harmless. I refused to give her a sign of recognition, leaning back into my chair, all attention fixed on the windows. Her inquisitive eyes, however, remained locked on me in the reflection and my breath stilled despite all conscious attempts to keep it even.

“It’s nice out isn't it.” she said, nodding at the happy people who strolled across the grassy courtyard of the academy under the rare autumn sun.

The weather? She was seriously opening this with the weather?

“I guess…” I said after I plucked the headphones from my ears. Not that I had been following the songs since she entered the cafeteria.

“Too bad it will rain.” she said, her dark blue eyes holding mine.

I didn’t answer. What could I say? I knew what she was getting at perfectly, and I wouldn’t risk slipping up with an ill-thought answer. So I just gazed at her, my feign confusion brief before I looked down to fiddle with my player.

I knew why she was here of course. They were looking for me. I just hadn’t expected them so soon.

It all started few weeks back when I felt something. Something I hadn’t felt in ages. One morning as I walked down the familiar sidewalk, the wind swayed with me, its caress leaving prickling sparks upon my skin. And no, it didn’t just brush past me as I moved, but with me, shifting as I did, rising with my excitement, stirring with my panic, and calming when I told myself it was just another dream.

Only it wasn’t. For it happened again, and again, and soon the feeling I had long forgotten pulsed through me with new familiarity. It almost seemed unreal. How much time had passed. And back then. All those years, lifetimes ago, I never found out what happened. I don’t think anyone did. It just happened. One day it was all normal, and the next we’d lost it. All of our power. It felt as if I had forgotten how to breathe. And for years after, I’d reach out my hand almost upon instinct and hope the wind would stir. Just once. The way it used to. But it never did, and I never forgot, how it had felt. I never forgot, but I grew accustomed to the numbness. And now, everything changed again. It was back, the whole range of sensations, as suddenly as it had gone.

My kind did not believe in deities, but it certainly felt as we were under the whims of one.

And now, that my long held desires had come true, now that the dream became reality, I didn’t really… feel anything. My powers were back and so what? My world had died a long time ago, so what difference did it make? What was I supposed to do with them? Become a professional athlete by exploiting an unfair advantage over the rest of humanity?

Well most of humanity. If I had my powers, others probably did too. As her appearance testified.

It was my fault really. That they had found me. When I had realized my influence over the wind was back, I had firmly decided to do exactly nothing. But just a few days later I awoke with the insatiable itch to learn more about this new situation. Curse my curiosity for it never led me to a good place.

What didn’t help, was that a new kind of feeling carried through the air. Through the wind, the trees, through everything. A kind of silence, when life was always unbelievably noisy. Buzzing, bursting, quieting, then ringing again as the energies swirled around us. Yet, that day, when I walked out onto my balcony, it felt still. The world felt still despite the static of the city. And this new calm, this silence, was unnerving, driving my need to know over the edge.

And so I left extra early that morning, just to jog. Meditate maybe. Listen to the not so natural forests of the local park, for nature always had a way of telling you if something was off. Just run, sniff around, nothing more. And then one thing left to another, and I climbed right up the hill and to the spot where two major energy streams crossed.

I spent no more than a minute, feeling through the streams for clues, and that’s why they were here now. That’s why they were looking for me. Because I couldn’t have done a better job of announcing my presence to the world. Or at least to whoever was listening, and I had no doubts they were snooping around for what the other side was doing.

To top it all up, my search had turned up nothing. The streams were normal and flowing with no fluctuations to cause a silence. In fact, they felt better than ever, clearer, smoother, happier. Perhaps it was just me rediscovering my senses.

So, in a way, I had brought this upon myself, and unless I found a way to slip off their radar, I was in for a whole load of trouble.

“So what program are you in?” she spoke and I looked up to blink her way.

“Sorry?”

“Program.” she repeated. “I take it you study here?” Her eyes circled the expanse of the cafeteria.

“Fine arts.” I said. “You?” I added after a moment of awkward silence.

“I’m just visiting.” She tugged a lock of short black hair behind an ear.

Of course she was. “I see.” I said as my gaze trailed past her to take note of the big hand of the clock. “Oh shi-” I almost let slip as I shot up from my seat. Her eyes rose with me, questioning. “Nice meeting you,” I said, “but I gotta run.” I added with a forced smile.

I was so late for class and it was all her fault.

It rained all night that day, with thunders and howling winds that calmed only in the early hours of the morning. I listened through it all for sleep was hard to come by. The few times I did close my eyes I was visited by nightmares until I gave up on rest completely, gaze locking onto the fluorescent stars above. I had made the patterns myself, but after so many sleepless nights their unchanging constellations and artificial glow had become dreary.

With so much going on, I expected to have a lot to think about, plans to come up with, things to recall, but my mind was empty, as empty as the dark sky I could see through the gap between the curtains. Somewhere out there, under the starless gray, a lone bird was trying to break through the veil of silence. Its song was quiet, often fading, but for no more than a moment before resuming, continuing, and as morning approached becoming louder, more cheerful, until it turned into a choir to welcome the newborn sun.

Too bad I couldn't share the birds’ delight.

Groaning, I reached for the clock on my nightstand only to confirm it was way too early for anything. I rolled out of bed anyway, my legs were itching to move.

A blurry image of misery greeted me in the bathroom mirror. The deep dark circles under my eyes had become quite prominent, and my frizzy brown hair was beyond salvation.

I tried to patch things up with a warm drink, though I kept getting the wrong package as I fumbled through the cupboard in the darkness. And then the lights flashed on and I was completely blinded by the splitting pain in my head.

"Why're you standing in the dark?" My mother's voice sounded from the other side of the kitchen.

Why indeed… "Good morning..." I muttered, still squinting to refocus.

Silent in her soft slippers she approached, and I moved aside so she could get her coffee. But instead, she reached to sort through my unruly locks. “Oh honey,” she said, “you’ve got to do something about that hair.”

With a forced smile I gently pushed her hand aside. “You’re up early.” I said as she turned for the cupboard.

“Got a deadline.” Yawning, she fluffed her blond curls and slowly reached for the coffee jar on the top shelf.

Just as the kettle clicked to signal that the water was ready.

“A lot left?”

"Mhm," she struggled with the jar lid, "still have that charity event to cover.” she said dumping a spoonful of instant coffee into her cup. My mother wrote articles for a small local magazine. It wasn’t much, but it kept her busy.

“Good luck with that.” I said and poured the hot water over the teabag before I handed her the kettle.

“Thanks sweety.” she said, her arm coming around my shoulders for a sideways hug. Once the kettle was back into its spot she picked up her coffee and headed for the door.

“Don't be late.” she called out as her pink robe slipped behind the corner.

The faint aroma of the strong black tea brought a weak smile to my face. I inhaled again, letting the steam warm my lungs. With that, I was almost ready to face the day.

Or so I thought until my father walked into the kitchen, morning newspaper in hand. “Finally up?" he said as he fitted himself into his seat.

Finally up? I was always up early. Extra early even to avoid these very encounters.

"Morning." I greeted, stuffing bread into the toaster and hoping the damn thing popped out fast enough.

"How's school?" he asked, his brown eyes scanning the front page.

"Fine." I murmured.

He leaned back, gazing in my general direction. "Enjoying your classes?"

"Yup." I said, still waiting for the toaster. He quiet for a moment, his eyes tracing my every movement from behind his thin-framed glasses as shifted about to make my toast.

No more than a few moments later, breakfast in hands, I strolled for the door. But not fast enough, apparently, for before I reached it, he cleared his throat, gaze pointing to the seat across. Our eyes met in short confrontation, and I walked over, carefully placing my dishes on the table before I slid into the chair.

“I have a friend,” he began, “he needs an assistant.” he said and my fingers froze on the handle of the cup. I looked up, knowing all too well what he was getting at. “It’s a good position,” he continued, “pays well.”

“I’m still studying.” I said.

“You can start part time.” he retorted.

“Look, we’ve talked about this.” Many, many times before.

He gazed at me for a silent moment from under his eyebrows. “Tell me honestly,” he began the well known song, “do you think there’s future in your chosen… occupation."

"If you want me to find a job, I'll get one."

"You don't have to ‘find a job’,” he said calmly, “but such an opportunity doesn't come often. You should take it while you still can.” Didn’t come often indeed. And his friend just happened to have it lying around. With me, no previous experience or skill on office work, heading the list. He sure had nothing to do with all that.

"My answer is no." I said, picking my plate to carry to the sink. Never had I stuffed toast in my mouth, and chugged down hot tea quite so fast.

"You'll like marketing.” He continued, trying to sell his proposition over the sound of running water.

“No, I won’t.” I muttered aware he would hear me.

“You can’t know until you try.” he said. "I'm not asking you to give up art. You can always draw in your free time."

Closing the tap, I turned to face him, arms crossed. "Was that all?"

"I'll talk to my friend. I want you to try the position." he stated.

I frowned, clenching my teeth so that the words swarming my mind wouldn’t make it to my tongue. I had enough issues as it was, and no desire to deal with another senseless quarrel.

Only once the door of my room closed securely behind me, could I relax. I remained there for a brief moment as the fresh touch of air drifted to me from the open window. My skin prickled and the curtains stirred as I released the repressed energy built up in my body. Thankfully before it caused any unfortunate incidents around me. Too much time had passed indeed. I was no better than a newborn, barely able to keep it under control. It would get better, I told myself, eventually…

My mood improved by noon, partially because I was out of the house and as far from him as possible, and partly because I was recruited to help with the student gallery. Arranging the new exhibits had a calming quality to it, though before we got to that, we had to take care of the dirty work, remove the old paintings and prepare the new to hang.

I carefully lifted the painting, fighting with its frame for a short moment before I let it sink back down. The wire had caught on something and the sheer size of the canvas didn’t make my job any easier. Sighting, I gripped at the frame, pushing it up again.

“Hold on,” someone said before the canvas had successfully toppled me, “let me help you with that.” And then the weight of the canvas lifted away and off the hook.

He gently set it to lean against the wall and I mustered a small smile of gratitude when his eyes rose to meet mine. “Thanks.” I said and then internally froze when I saw her standing behind him.

“Hi.” she said cheerfully.

I answered with a guarded, “Hello,” before I ran my eyes over him again. Not too tall, definitely in need of an extra muffin, with dark hair and skin tone that looked almost ghostly next to hers. And that haunting shade of blue eyes. Of course. Wherever she went, he went.

“We met in the cafeteria the other day, remember.” she said and I realized I had been staring for too long.

My gaze drifted her way. “Yes, I remember.” I said with a polite smile I hoped didn't look too blatantly fake. “Sorry there isn’t much to see.” I gestured at our makeshift gallery. Most of the paintings were already down, and the new were yet to arrive. “So,” I said when the awkward silence had dragged for a while, “what leads you here?”

“Well, you know,” she spoke before he could, “looking around.” She was looking at me, her gaze heavy, piercing. I forced my muscles to relax, praying I wouldn’t flinch next time she took a half step. It was hard, impossible even, with the two figures of similar heights, with similar eyes, boring into me, probing, waiting till I slipped up.

And if this wasn’t the highlight of my day…

“Then go ahead,” I said inviting them to our gallery with a wave of my hand. My smile had become so artificial by this point I could feel it in the wrinkles of my cheeks.

“Any of them yours?” he asked, a teasing note to his voice.

“Two.” I said, hoping he would leave it at that. But he just had to ask which. I gave him my best crooked grin. “Why don’t you try and guess.” I said and his brow arched.

Before he could respond with a no doubt witty comeback a classmate popped out of somewhere calling me over with a brooding glance. I managed another fake smile as I excused myself, but the classmate only wanted to tell me a helper was MIA and the new paintings would be delayed. And with that, I was left alone again, with the two of them prowling about me. I was starting to feel like a gazelle with the wild beasts clearly in my sight, but doing nothing, only to make my heart race before the chase had even began.

I knew, of course, that they wouldn’t leave before they got what they came for. Namely me. Or something they wanted from me.

“You strike me as a colourful person,” he said from across, “so something like this?” he pointed at a mess of a colour blob trying to pass for abstract art. Though, to be fair, I couldn’t really judge.

“Nope.” I said lips curving into a genuine smirk. “Better luck next time.”

If his brow was slightly arched before, it was fully up now. He prowled on, hands in pockets, eyes circling the canvases. At least one person off my case. Though I worried about her more. The intent was hidden a little bit too well behind her marble face. And that unwavering stare sent chills down my spine, as it followed me while I moved about to check for loose hooks and generally look busy.

Time had never dragged quite this slow. Not even in the middle ages.

“I’m Rain by the way,” he said not really looking at me as he inspected another painting, “and that’s Maya.” He pointed to her and she waved a small wave.

I answered with a fleeting glance, pretending to be particularly interested in a patch of loose plaster by one of the hanging spots. He was following me now, looking over the canvases as I passed them. “I take it you don't study here either.” I said. He looked up, and then my way from behind the bangs hanging over his eyes.

“Just visiting.” he said with a shrug.

“I see.” Of course he was.

“Don’t I get a hint?” he asked.

A sideways smile curved over my lips. “It’s called After Apocalypse.”

“I don’t see any tags.”

“We took those down first.” my eyes lingered on him with a smirk as I passed him by.

“That’s not much of a hint.” he said, pouting.

“It tells you more than you need to know.” I said. “Try to think creatively.” I added, halting before the next spot.

“So it has to be something,” he said, still following me, “somber?”

“You can say that.” I answered, the smile no longer amused on my face.

“So something like,” he pointed to a canvas across, of a city covered by a mist, with its gray buildings barely a shape over the clouds. The sky above was bright, though it held a hint of eerie red.

“Bingo.” I forced another teasing smile. “See, I knew you had it in you.”

“And the second one?” Maya inquired from behind. I hadn’t even noticed her sneak up on me.

I tossed her a glance over my shoulder. “Somewhere out here.”

But she was looking past me, and at the painting. “Ciel. That’s an interesting signature.”

Oh crap. Stupid, stupid, stupid, so damn stupid. What idiot signed her work with her actual element name. Even if it were in French. Granted, I hadn’t exactly expected them to be looking for me, like ever.

But I contained my internal wince, the poker face remaining intact.“It’s French.” I said. “Nothing sells quite as a painting signed in French.” I could still play the dumb card. And hope my stubbornness alone made them give up on smoking me out. “You two looking to buy something to hang on your wall?” I continued. “We sell cheap.” As cheap as amateurish student paintings went.

She didn’t answer, gazing at me with that knowing half-smile. I wouldn’t give in either, looking her straight in the eyes with not as much as a nervous wrinkle to my forehead. I knew this game well.

And then as if salvation from the heavens of redemption the first round of new paintings arrived, along with the teacher, classmates, and helpers and people in general. I had never liked people quite as much as in that very moment.

I turned full attention to my work, trying, hoping I seemed as dumb and ordinary as possible. When I did glance back, eventually, they were gone. A sigh of relief escaped me, though the tension wouldn’t leave. They still didn’t have enough on me. A guess at most. Nothing that would put me in immediate danger. But a guess was more than enough of a reason to keep snooping. I knew how they worked. This was far from over and as much as I didn’t want to participate in this game, I had no intention of losing.

Else I’d have to pack my bags and disappear. Which didn’t seem all that horrible when I returned home to a house full of yelling.

Well not yelling, arguing. But to my tired eardrums it was hell.

I sneaked past the living room, running straight up to my bedroom without as little as a greeting. Even through the closed door I could still hear them. Loud and clear. Courtesy of my recently regained senses, which I still struggled to tune out of. At least it wasn’t as bad as a crowded lunch room. Now that, had almost made me faint the first time.

"Damn it, Helena, you promised!” my father's voice boomed once more. “You know how important this dinner is." he added in a softer voice.

“I’m sorry honey,” my mother said in her most apologetic tone, “I have a deadline. I can’t make it." I could vividly imagine her wide green puppy eyed stare.

"I can’t believe you would do this to me." he uttered.

A few more muffled lines were exchanged and no resolution reached. Why couldn’t he just go alone? It was only a business dinner. Granted one he had been harping on and on about for months, but still... So of course, it wasn’t long before the expected call sounded. I pretended not to hear when he called my name again, pulling the headphones tighter over my ears when his steps neared.

Not a moment later, my door swung open, revealing my father in the threshold. He was still in his suit, minus the necktie, with the sleeves rolled up and the first few buttons of his shirt loosened. Tired, though demanding eyes landed on me from across the room. I peered at him as dumbly innocent as I could, my fingers creeping to the headphones to remove them. The heavy creases on his face relaxed.

"You know the firm is having a dinner," he began, "it seems like your mother can't accompany me." he said jaw ever so lightly tensing. "I hope you don't have anything planned for tomorrow because I want you to come instead."

A small sigh escaped my lips. So many lifetimes later, I still couldn’t escape the plague of political dinners.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:48 am
artemis15sc wrote a review...

Hello, I'm actually finally returning a favor for a review you gave me. Anyway, I'm glad I picked this one up.

I really liked how you hooked me with sentence one be immediately create suspense and tension, that was truly amazing. Overall a strong and intriguing chapter. pretty good chapter one.

The paragraph where you explain about their world and how it was lost and she got her powers back and so what felt a little info-dumpy, and it interrupted the flow of your story. I think you're good to give us all that information after

The nitpicks.

I felt her gaze heavy on me when she came to a halt, and for a heartbeat wondered if this was truly the end.

"Her gaze heavy on me" sounds a little awkward, I think.
The phrase "for a heartbeat" let's us know you're character is thinking, but also takes away the supense. For all we know, this could truly be the end for your character, only "for a heartbeat" tells us your characte ris over it before you even tell us what "it" is. Also, be careful of using words like wondered, desired, think, know, beleive, imagined, or other thought verbs. There an example of telling instead of showing, and not using them will make your writing stronger.
Maybe something along the lines of "I closed my eyes, this may truly be the end..." or something would fix those problems xD.

she said and I inhaled, subtly, for I realized I had been holding my breath.
if she'd been holding he breath wouldn't she need to exhale?

I was shorter too, for my dismay,
Should it be "to my dismay"? This is a legitimate question, as I'm not sure...

my feign confusion brief before I looked down to fiddle with my player.
Another legit question, should it be "feigned" or "fake" instead of feign confusion?

It almost seemed unreal. How much time had passed. And back then.

Something's wrong here. The first two sentences either need to be combined or you need a question mark, and the last one's a fragment.

But instead, she reached to sort through my unruly locks. “Oh honey,” she said, “you’ve got to do something about that hair.”

Remember new dialogue gets a new paragraph.

picking my plate to carry to the sink.
picking up my plate?

“Hi.” she said cheerfully.
be carefully of dialogue tags ending in -Ly. If you can describe how she says it or what her face looks like, exactly what cheerful looks like on this girl, that would be awesome.

I don;t understand why you have her tell us what he said rather than having him say it himself.

Before he could respond with a no doubt witty comeback a classmate popped out of somewhere calling me over with a brooding glance.
Again, I feel like you could flesh this out but just letting this scene happen rather than have your narrator tell us what's happening.

“You strike me as a colorful person,” he said from across,
Across the room?

Always try to be an concise as possible so your story flows, for example something like, "My smile no longer amused" would cut down on words.

Whew, that was long, but hopefully helpful, let me know fi you have any questions!

rawrafied wrote a review...

'Ello~~~! Rawrafied here, representing team Rugido Sol on this fine review day. I'm going to go line by line an pick out anything that catches my eye, okay? :3

First off, your first paragraph is unnecessarily long. And after reading it, I would further express doing so because there seems to be no topic idea to your paragraph. It seems like you're just typing a bunch of stuff as a place filler with no real purpose.

I knew I was in trouble the moment I saw her stroll between the rows of tables heading my way.
This sentence is unclear. I'm assuming you meant to saw that this supposed "her" is heading you way, not the rows of tables. Some commas can help with this around 'between the rows of tables'. Actually, you should do this anyway since it's a preposition of more than three words.

I mean I didn’t know why she was heading my way, but it was doubtlessly her, and her appearance couldn’t lead to anything good for me.
Tense issue. It should be 'don't' instead of 'didn't'. Also, I'm assuming you're using 'I mean' here for dialect reasons, but it seems awkward here. There usually you use this in dialect to clarify something and that would've been fine if you're trying to clarify her not necessarily knowing why she was heading the narrator's way therefore, technically they shouldn't know for certain why they're in trouble. But you don't. You jump topic to the idea of not knowing if it was her or not. Granted, it's a good topic to address at this time, but you need to connect the ideas.

My head bowed as she approached, and I pretended to stretch into my chair
This is impossible. You cannot bow your head and stretch in a chair at the same time. Basic anatomy.

all I could do to silence the growing desire to flee
How does stretching your body overcome this? That's fine if it's a personal thing, since we all have our little nuances. But you need to give us a reason to believe that.

Problem was, if I just left, she’d question my actions, this increasing the chance she recognized me.
The last fragment is making this and in complete sentence with tense problems.

For I suspected she wasn’t really sure who I was yet.
Prepositional phrase, therefore incomplete sentence.

Else she wouldn’t approach me as casually.
Again, prepositions.

“Hey.” she said luring my attention to her warm smile.
Should be a comma after 'hey', not a period because this is has a speech tag.

I'm going to stop here. I feel like your story started to have progress once we hit the dialogue. Not because it was written differently, but because if seemed like the story finally had direction. And you seemed to do a better just of showing the narators awkwardness than you did in the first two paragraphs. I understand you're trying to introduce this whole 'teen-angst' angle at the beginning. But it's so awkwardly formatted. I feel like you're jumbled between trying to write prose and Salinger-esq fiction. Which is fine to challenger yourself thus. But it feels like I'm reading your writing in it's awkward teen phase.

But best of luck. Hope this helped.

MaryEvans says...

Not sure I get what %u201Ctopic idea%u201D is.
And yeah, it's clumsy. I am indeed trying a new style (not agsty teen believe it or nor) and I admit I don't have a full grasp on it yet. (I must disagree about the tense and fragment "issues" though. Most are quite intentional.)
So thank you for the review, though I would have appreciated more on the actual context than the particular style. I will see what I can do with the opening and if it can be shortened.

rawrafied says...

My bad. I might be using the wrong word, but it's basically a similar principal to the papers you write in school. Where each paragraph has a main idea and you write until you get that idea across. Granted, this is a novel, and you have liberties and I'm not telling you to do it exactly like you format a school paper paragraph. xD It's just something to keep in mind when your paragraphs are getting beefy. Are you rambling or is there a point to all this material? Only you will know for sure. :3

Shady wrote a review...

Hey Ary!

I’m back with your next review, as promised.

I must say that I really love your descriptions. They’re very good, and appeal to the emotions and the senses, rather than the brain, which is wonderful. Bravo.

It was ice, he realized,as his bare foot landed upon the surface before him.
~ Missing commas.

~~~

Alright!

This is really interesting. I adore the descriptions you use. Descriptive writing is my favorite writing, and you execute it beautifully.

I’m a bit confused as to the plot, but not in a bad way. It’s not a “This makes no sense, I’m done reading” it’s more of an awed “Whoa...what?” That makes me read on. It’s quite intriguing, and I am indeed moving on to your next piece very shortly.

This piece is far better than your prologue, and I thought that *that* was quite good. You’re a very talented writer.

~Shady 8)

Omni wrote a review...

Here to review once again!

My name is Omniyus and I will be reviewing this highly anticipated first chapter(by me, of course!) in the same manner as my earlier review on your prologue. Now, I know I am not the best at reviews or nowhere near the most informative, but, hey, I try, and it looks like you need a fresh review here! So, how about it? Okay, then, let us get to work!

Since I see a couple of grammatical problems right at the beginning, I'm gonna do it a little different than I did in the prologue and hopefully a little more informative. Your story will be in quotes, and my notes will be in spoilers! Hope this helps!

He opened his eyes and it took him all the strength he had gathered. It felt as if he had slept forever, his muscles ached with a soft fatigue and his limbs felt numb. His thoughts felt fuzzy and he squinting through the mist he realized was dim lighting to study his surroundings.
You probably should have said "His thoughts felt fuzzy and as he squinted through the mist he realized that it was dim lighting to study his surroundings. After looking at that sentence, that was the best I could do to revise it.

There wasn't much he could see though. Light was streaming in from somewhere, but it only made matters worse glinting off the walls and further obscuring his vision. He hated such semi darkness, it made it impossible to properly distinguish between illusion and reality. The walls glinted, he suddenly realized, and he dropped a hand to the floor near where he was sitting. His fingers traveled across the stone surface and landed upon something cold and slippery, almost like... ice?
you could italicize ice to add more confusion and somewhat more dramatic! It great anyway, but it adds more spice.

He frowned, taking another look around and shuddering at the sudden chill that broke through the fading haze of his mind. Moving was painful, and he waited for a heartbeat before trying again. His limbs felt stiff as he stretched them, and his surroundings only grew colder with time. For a moment it faded out and he realized he had almost fallen asleep again. Anger burned through his neurons and he braced himself to stand. The world span around him but he managed to keep his balance, barely.

It was ice he realized as his bare foot landed upon the surface before him. His brow furrowed. There was a thin coating of the cursed elements covering both floor and walls. It would simply not do, he thought and wished for a fire, but nothing happened.
This part gives me a lot of insight to the direction of the story. I like this sentence in particular. I am completely irritating myself to stop long enough to review!

His features distorted into a frown and a feeling of helplessness seeped into his mind. He felt pathetic having to resort to verbal manifestation, but his lips still mouthed: fire. The chamber filled with light and the newborn flames burst through the icy confines shattering them and leaving the stone clear before fading. Like a whirlpool the energy that had been static for too long stirred and like the steam of the melted ice quickly escaped through the cracks. Unshackled, the accumulated natural force flooded the streams and ever so lightly the world fluttered. Almost in an instant, the pulse faded. The reserve has been massive but the energy spot was too insignificant to have any notable effect upon the world beyond. With nothing holding it back the knot of energy dispersed fully never to stir again at the same spot.

His emerald gaze dropped down to the small metal disk in his hand and he frowned. Was this all that had held the wicked seal in place? He could see it now, in the bright light that seem to come from all around. It was lifeless, a piece of old metal, engraved with a small snowflake. How nostalgic, he thought, his lips curving into an ironic smile and he sunk his thumb into the disk. It shattered in tiny shards of glistering metal and he let them fall.

Like fire, the colour began returning to his face and then hair. Nothing was confining him anymore, nothing sapped his strength and a weary smile of relief painted his features at the realization. Almost instantly he felt the renewing strength filling his drained body. Yes, he was truly awake again, not caught up in a dream too real to dismiss, but too pleasant to be true. This wasn't pleasant at all, he thought gritting his teeth at the cold biting at his feet and took another step towards the light.
I love this paragraph. It gives so much symbolism to how, even early in the story, fire helps him regain his strength and he is much like that small fire. I hope you use this symbolism all throughout your story!

A gust of bone chilling air brushed against his body once he reached the stone frame. He shivered, as his thin linen clothing did nothing to save him from the cold. Clenching his teeth he adjusted his body temperature by force. Only then was he finally able to stand straight. He looked up and was instantly blinded by the endless whiteness of the desert that spread ahead of him. It was indeed a desert, one of snow, oh how he hated the snow.

The brightness of the sun brought no warmth. It only served to peck on his eyes and prevent him from seeing anything but his own feet. He looked up seeing no clouds but a bright blue sky. No, rather, he realized, most of the desert that spread around him was in fact those same clouds. His frown deepened.

There was a dark spot ahead of him he saw now that his eyes adapted to the light. It was a man, he realized, in abundant and rather warm looking clothing. On his back there was a backpack and over him hung odd looking gear. The man pulled at the cloth covering his mouth revealing a wide grin.

"Finally," he said his breath steaming, "you have no idea how long it took me to find you." he added with such pride as if he had been the one who awakened him. He hadn't.

The man spoke again but he wasn't interested in his words. Or rather in their meaning for he did listen to the sound of them. By the way the man twisted his tongue around the syllables he was guessing quite some time had passed since his last awakening.

"Hey are you listening to me?" the man tried to attract his attention.

A spark of fury lit in his emerald eyes. How dared such a weakling address him so casually, and even further call him out? With much effort, he suppressed a thoughtless release of his flame. The much too young earth user was not a reason enough to waste his already scarce force.

The youngling continued to speak, but his words were irrelevant. Instead he gazed across the planes
I think you are meaning plains xD
once more now that he had realized it was a mountain peak. His eyes widened in disbelief. Out there, just by the young earth user stood a girl. She was clad in nothing but a light blue dress, and her slender figure was ghostly against the white background. The relentless wind wildly swayed her long blond hair and tore at the lace hem of her dress, but the chill did not seem to bother her. Judging by the young one's actions, he wasn't aware of her presence at all. A feeling of relief washed over him when her smile greeted him with a familiar hospitality and he realized she had not been a mere illusion of his strained mind by her subtle presence. For a moment a small smile crept upon his face, but he quashed it, facing her instead with polite restraint.

"How... long has it been?" he spoke to her in his mind.

She answered with a sympathetic glance. "Too long." Her voice was familiar and soothing. He almost felt at home again. But he wasn't, and something told him he never would be.

"Shall we?" she said inviting him to follow with a graceful movement of her hand.

He stepped into motion passing by the startled youngling who tried to stop him but only stumbled in his gear. He silently followed her across the increasing steeper dunes of ice and snow. He didn't need a confirmation; he knew it would be a long journey.

He did indeed hate the snow.

I intensely loved reading this piece. I was extremely interested the entire story, and once again, I cannot wait to read the next installation of this piece. I hope this gave you more insight than my prologue review.

Overall I give this piece a 9 out of 10. This was so much better than the prologue, and that is saying something! I cannot wait what is next in store!

Omniyus.

I think the more you understand myths, the more you understand the roots of our culture and the more things will resonate.
— Rick Riordan