12+

A Country of Red and Blue

by emilyrebecca

Texas is red, New York is blue.

Zeldin, red,

Hochul, blue.

We are red, we are blue.

But we are also people.

People in a country in debt and despair.

Kids in a country falling to fear.

Children with fire, and so much to burn.

Unguided and unconfided,

So used to the hurt.

Democracy; the rarity.

Flanked by tyranny and theocracy,

in history and now.

Trying to preserve it like dying embers in a fire,

But Mr.Red and Mr.Blue won’t stop soaking it with their crossfire

Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:28 pm
kirchallyson wrote a review...

Hey, Ally here for a review!
As a very political person myself, I absolutely love reading and writing about politics and absolutely fell in love with this poem. In the majority of political writing, people pick one side or the other and they let their own views show in their writing, but this poem doesn't lean one way or the other politically, and I applaud your ability to not show a specific side. I think by not showing a side, this makes the poem relatable to both red and blue sides. This poem really speaks to living in the US today. It touches on children with fire and a country of debt and despair, but people don't seem to be focusing on these serious issues because they are too focused on red versus blue. I love this poem doesn't so much talk about one side or the other, but you are still able to stand up for what you believe in. I couldn't agree with this poem more. Incredible job and keep it up!

Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:30 pm
Saifullah wrote a review...

The history is full of discrimination, unjust and wars. Likewise, the poem addresses diverse issues that we fed up with discrimination, but I want to persuade you this is the part of today's complex world. The western countries especially US in short span of, time is ruled over the world. They provide many opportunities for the masses such as United States, in very chaotic time, but more than it in short time she becomes hub of politics, economics and education. On the contrary, the eastern countries declined fastly especially most of South Asian countries, because of their domestic and external policies. Therefore, the western has been trying their level best for the well being of their people.

Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:54 am
Que wrote a review...

Heya emilyrebecca!

Hope you're having a good day. ^_^ As requested, I'm here to review.

Usually I start off with some specifics and then step back for a bit of an overview. But I do want to start with keeping one thing in mind: making a statement. This is a political poem, and even though you're not necessarily "picking a side," as you said, you are taking a stance! So some of the things I have to comment on are about how that stance comes across in your poem and its strength. :)

Alrighty! so:

Texas is red, New York is blue.

Zeldin, red,

Hogal, blue.

We are red, we are blue.

But we are also people.

Off to a good start! You have a very clear set-up of opposition here, and it's easy to tell what's going on; we know the country and even the context. Red and blue are good stand-ins for the political parties without being as explicit as using the names. :)

I'll admit, I had to do a little research on the people you named! I found Zeldin pretty easily, but no Hogal -- my best guess after a little searching is that it was meant to be Hochul? I was wondering if there was any significance in the states and names you chose, other than a demonstration that people can agree with.

I like the inclusion of specific names, but because the rest of your poem focuses on the red/blue conflict more than a specific state/region/politician conflict, these names don't really resonate with other parts of your poem other than setting up the red vs. blue. Does that make sense?

So one interesting thing you could do, if you meant Hochul, could be "Hochul is blue. Zeldin was red. Blue replaced red" Of course, that's not the best phrasing, but it sort of indicates more of a relationship between the two people other than just opposition -- there's something going on.

So here we've got: these states are red/blue, these politicians are red/blue, we are red/blue. Got it. You've set up clear binaries, and then you overturn them with "But we are also people." I like that you flip the tables, and I think this poem asks for that, but I think you could do it in a stronger way! What about red and blue as opposing ideas don't allow room for the idea of a person? Is a person perhaps more fluid than simple red and blue?

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but asking what makes these ideas different can help you make a stronger entrance into the rest of your poem. What is revolutionary about seeing past the red and blue to the people? You don't have to tell readers directly, but make us feel it.

Kids in a country falling to fear.

Unguided and unconfided,

So used to the hurt.

Democracy; the rarity.

Flanked by tyranny and theocracy,

in history and now.

Alright, and now we come to the second part of your poem. I like the imagery in this part, and I think it's doing a lot of the heavy-lifting in your poem. This is the part that readers relate to and there's clearly a lot of emotion behind it.

I think that to make this even stronger, you can delve into your images more! What do debt, despair, and fear look like? Sound like? Smell like? It's sort of like "show, don't tell" -- let readers see for themselves and they will understand that you're portraying what it looks like to be "so used to the hurt". :)

Also, I'm like that you mention democracy as a "rarity," I think that's a helpful line in getting your point across (especially because democracy is both sides!), but I'm not so sure that "tyranny" and "theocracy" do the same thing -- they're just "flanking" democracy. It doesn't give readers as much of a clear picture of what's going on; it feels a little more like those are almost like buzzwords meant to evoke something. It's just not too evident what they're meant to be doing in the context of the poem.

And now, for the ending! I'm glad that you bring the red and blue back in at the end, and indicate that they are soaking the fire of the nation. This, I think, is your thesis, your stance: that the red and blue conflict is actually hindering the country. (at least, that's my interpretation of your lines)

However, I think that given your slow lead-in, I think that you could make the ending even more impactful. I can see the link between red and blue, because I see it coming up again here, but it's harder to tell what the connection is to the middle part. Are the red and blue causing what happens in the middle part? Or is the middle part just showing what people in between the conflict of red and blue look like/feel like? I understand that they link together, but I'm not quite sure how.

Also, I think the sense of conflict between red and blue is something that is missing from your first few lines. You set up red and blue, but not necessarily a battle between them, and I think you could do more with the opening that would predict the closing and tie things together really nicely.

One final note is that I'm not sure how the "crossfire" can "soak" the "dying embers" unless it's a water gun fight! XD It seemed a little too humorous for the serious tone you're taking on, so you might want to tweak that image a bit.

Overview

So, as an overall comment: I'm bringing it back to taking a stance! You've got this great thesis in the last two lines, and I think now you just need to make sure the rest of your poem is speaking to that same core idea through your imagery! If you were to pretend this was a persuasive poem, to convince someone that yes, Mr. Red and Mr. Blue fighting isn't helping anyone, how would you show your readers? How would you convince them? I think that thinking about things that way might really bring your whole poem together. :)

I think you're playing with really good ideas here and I also love the structure of your poem, starting with opposites and moving into more nuanced issues in real-life, and then zooming back out again. You've done a nice job! And I think it's a sentiment that a lot of people might agree with.

Let me know if you have any questions or if anything was unclear! :) Best of luck with your writing, and have a great day.

-Q

emilyrebecca says...

Thank you for the review!!

First off, "Hogal" was 100% meant to be Hochul, and I can't believe I spelled her name wrong. Also, for context, I wrote this poem in the last few weeks of the NY governor's race between Hochul and Zeldin and it was a hot topic, to say the least. People were generally really nasty to each other and part of that was our very, very controversial (but nearly universally hated) last governor, Cuomo. I wrote the poem to reflect a greater issue, but the situation acted as a bit of a microcosm of a lot of the issues I talked about. I did think about the fact that most people outside of NY would not understand the reference, but only after I posted. I agree with a lot of your comments about expanding on some of the ideas and I apreciate the feedback.

Que says...

Thanks for filling me in on the context! That's neat to know. I think zooming in on that microcosm could be really interesting too. :0

4revgreen wrote a review...

This is a moving and thought-provoking poem about the current political climate in the United States. The use of colour as a metaphor to represent political ideology is a common theme in political discourse, but you expands on this idea by emphasising that, regardless of the divide, all Americans are people facing challenges in their country. The poem emphasises the difficulties of preserving democracy as well as the effects of political polarisation on society. The imagery of children playing with fire, as well as the reference to a country in debt and despair, imply a sense of hopelessness, which is only reinforced by the mention of democracy as a rarity.
The line "Mr. Red and Mr. Blue won't stop soaking it with their crossfire" is a powerful indictment of the political leaders responsible for the country's current state. This poem is a powerful call to action for all Americans, regardless of political affiliation, to band together and work towards a better future.

emilyrebecca says...

Thank you! You really seem to get what I was going for and as a writer that feels very good!

4revgreen says...

I'm glad! I'm sorry I didn't offer much in the way of feedback or constructive criticism, I just really liked the meaning and symbolism behind your words!

RavenNaal wrote a review...

Great poem, loved the theme and its done very well in this writing! You really managed to put the battle of democracy into your poem in a logical and run to read way! My favorite part is the end with Mr. Red and Mr. Blue. It was a good idea to personify the different sides of the U.S. Well done! The only real stop in reading was "in history and now." I would change the in to within, a small change but it makes the poem flow a little better. Overall a great piece! Nice job :)

Also love the pfp

emilyrebecca says...

Thanks, Raven Naal!!

“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables