Home » Literary works » Other » General

by swany

.

Wed May 18, 2022 3:46 am
lliyah wrote a review...

In further reflection based on @AriesBookworm's recommendation to dig a little deeper, I'm back with a real review! :)

So I usually have a pretty broad definition of what qualifies as poetry / art, and don't usually think that words are even necessary for something to be poetry. My personal definition is "something that communicates meaning or emotion through linguistic or implied linguistic means." see here for more.

However, I do think some things communicate emotion / narrative / meaning better than other things. As far as meaning for this piece immediate reaction: shock, confusion, skepticism, then upon further reflection, intrigue, rebellion, it almost fits within the genre of "anti-poetry" which is a poetic movement you might enjoy reading more about.

As Aries wrote, to post something through the lit center as "Blank" and for it literally to be blank is subversive in itself, but I am more intrigued by the though that you decided to actually type a period into the text of the piece, so that it isn't actually blank. Was that irony, a mistake, a place-holder? I'm unsure but would like to hear more on your take on that.

In many ways this piece reminds me of @Brigadier's work here which actually has the same word method as you used here. I would similarly interpret your piece to be forcing the reader to have an introspective moment of "what is this".

Small critique - I would have preferred that you had characterized this as art or poetry rather than "other" for one reason being that "other" is the category on YWS people are least likely to read because it doesn't have its own tab on the top, and also "other" is so generic it doesn't add much in terms of framing the piece.

I'd be interested to know more about your process / self-interpretation of this piece and am curious what you'll write in the future. Best of luck!

~alliyah

AriesBookworm wrote a review...

What a beautiful piece of literature. I love the use of visualization. Not only is this literary artwork, but it's also literally artwork. You really encapture the boredom and the small amount of motivation put into this. My friend once wrote a poem about how he lacked motivation and I really see this in your piece of work. This is very unique. Most people wouldn't dare to publish something like this. It just embodies how most humans feel 80% of the time. One tip: Next time, use 0 characters instead of one. If were to use one word to describe this piece of work it would be ___

Thu May 12, 2022 12:14 pm
Kelisot says...

I am not going to lie. But this is an interesting type of literature, I'll say.

Thu May 12, 2022 11:36 am
PaigeFantasy says...

hi, i noticed this in the green room and i suggest unpublishing it, as the person below me had said.

Sat May 07, 2022 12:22 am
lliyah says...

Hi Swany, just checking to see if you posted this piece by accident? Or if it's meant to be a lit piece. - If you posted it by accident you can have one of the moderators unpublish it for you if you like.

Have a great day!

alliyah

I don't think you're truly appreciating this to its true potential.

lliyah says...

Fair point! I'm open to it being poetry, just unsure. :D

If you want something badly, you just gotta believe it's gonna work out.
— Andy, Parks & Rec