Death's Servant - Chap. 4

by Evander

A/N: This chapter is probably paced poorly and written choppily. Once again, I'm looking for advice on atmosphere! Nothing has been retconned. 

1,043 words

-

Cora landed on Samuel’s backpack, the air knocked out of her lungs from the impact and resounding pain echoing through her body. She gasped, opening her eyes and looking around. Above her was an inky, starry night, stars swirling and blinking — imprinted onto the sky like a ringed coffee stain was a white outline. The portal. The air smelled strongly of petrichor, but she reached her hand out only to brush up against cool, dry grass. She shook her head, coming out of the soft daze and remembering her purpose for entering the underworld.

A familiar voice rang out. “Kid, if you stop crying, then I’ll go find her. I told ya, yeah? I’m friends with Cordelia.”

Romy, Cora thought. Struggling to her feet, she looked around and immediately spotted the silvery light cast by her only friend – and beside it, Lena. Poor, small Lena, curled into a ball and sobbing with half her face pressed into the black gravel. Tears pricked at the corner of Cora’s vision, relieved to see Lena alive and not halfway decaying on the grass.

Without having to think, Cora walked the five paces that it took and found herself by Romy’s side.

She crouched down in front of Lena, waving her hand in front of the girl’s face.

Romy’s voice emerged as a melodic, off-kilter hum. “Speak of an omen, she’s already here. Cheer up!”

Lena’s eyes cracked open and widened as she registered Cora’s presence. There was no time for Cora to dodge out of the way — or to even explain why being touched was a bad idea — as she was suddenly enveloped in a giant, shuddering hug. Lena held on so tight that Cora couldn’t shake her off, although she wasn’t sure if it was even okay to try and shrug off the hug in that instance. Lena must have been alone for over half an hour in a mysterious otherworld.

She could feel the choked sobs reverberating through Lena’s body.

“I’m-I’m so sorry,” Lena cried into the crook of Cora’s neck. “I-I should have went home. You hate me, don’t you? I-I understand if you do— I’ll never do anything like that again, I promise.”

Cora rubbed her hand on Lena’s back, taking cues from when her own mother had done that for her. She had been eight, two weeks before her mother’s death. Drawing forth from childhood memories, she started to shush Lena as a meager way of offering comfort. However, Cora couldn’t shake the awful, encompassing feeling that every moment of comfort she extended to Lena was just another moment that she sucked away from Lena’s life. What organs would fail first? Her liver? Her kidneys? Her heart? Banishing those thoughts, she slowly shrank away as Lena unwrapped herself.

“Are we okay?” Lena asked, wiping the tears on her splotched face away with her wrist.

Cora nodded and signed, “We’re fine.”

“You don’t hate me?”

Romy butt in, her voice the only comfort Cora had known for so long. “Relax, kid. There’s only one person—well, two people in the world—that Cora hates. I’d be surprised if you ever managed to make it to the list.”

Cora didn’t look at Romy for a moment, flitting a glance up at the grand nighttime abyss before the unease doubled in her stomach as she noticed the lack of moon hanging above. “I need to take Lena home. It’s not safe down here.”

Simply shrugging, Romy said, “It is safe down here— the kid’ll be fine. Besides, you need to see Death and get started on your training.”

It was odd to see Romy half-way corporeal, looking as if she could be solid instead of just a wispy, silver shadow of a girl. Her outfit was finally discernible — an oversized, buttoned up denim jacket with striped leggings to complete the look; areas of the jacket and the leggings looked completely scorched, but Romy’s exposed skin looked absolutely unscathed. Cora could also finally see the style of her hair—curled ringlets knotted up with a scrunchie.

Cora shook her head, her own curls bouncing around her face. “No training. Lena needs to go to bed.”

Romy stuck out her tongue. “The kid’ll be fine, Cordelia.”

“Her brother is waiting for us,” Cora interjected, glaring harshly. She wanted to add an aside, bringing up how bad it would be to keep Lena around her. The longer that Lena lurked, the closer she got to Cora — the girl was near coming in for another hug and just sobbing.

Lena cut back into the conversation, sniffling loudly and tugging on Cora’s arm. “Sammy? You got Sammy? Ohno, he’s gonna kill me.”

Cora looked down at the girl who barely came up to her ribs, taking back her arm and crouching down to be at Lena’s level. “Relax. You’ll go back to him.” She glanced down at her watch, wincing as she realized that Samuel would probably be coming through the portal at any moment. Once more stepping away from Lena, she turned to Romy. “We need to get L-E-N-A through the portal before her brother comes down.”

“Her brother will be fine. Now, come on, we have to make our way to the village so you can go see Deat—”

Glancing back at the portal, the knot in Cora’s stomach increased by a tenfold as she watched Samuel fall through the portal, landing on his two feet with cat-like agility. He didn’t waste any time being dazed or upset, instead scanning the terrain and jogging over to Cora and Lena as soon as he saw them. He wore a shirt now, although it probably wouldn’t protect him from the subtle, deathly chill that permeated throughout the landscape.

“SAMMY!” Lena cried, running over to him and jumping into his arms. “I’m so, so, so sorry.”

He caught Lena, staggering backward in the muted green grass and shooting a glare over her shoulder. Cora wasn’t adept at lipreading, but she could tell that he meant, “Explain.”

“I will,” she signed back.

“Dang,” Romy said. “Speak of an omen and they shall appear — shame, though. I think Cora is the only omen with us.”

Carlito wrote a review...

Hey!! About time this chapter was freed from the green room :)

So I'm obviously coming in blind with no context about what's going on here, so I'm looking at this as a part of a greater whole.

I think one thing I'm missing atmosphere wise is a real sense of place. Now, if this place they just fell to has already been described in detail in a previous chapter, then perhaps disregard. But, you describe the sky and the grass, but other than that I have no idea where I am. Even if this place has been described in a previous chapter, if this is a different time of day than when it was last shown, it'd be nice to see how it looks now. Do the characters even know where they are or does the portal dump them in a random area? (I'm guessing they know).

I liked your mix of description/exposition to dialogue. Even though I'm coming in blind I feel like I have a good sense of who each of these characters are and what their personalities are like based on how they carried themselves in this conversation. So well done!

If I'm going to get real nit-picky with the conversation, I started to find myself wondering when the next thing was going to happen. I love a good conversation in fiction, but they're standing in a place I'm unfamiliar with talking and talking and I'm not sure what the plan is or what they're trying to do now. There's a lot of apologizing and forgiveness, which is great, but how are we moving forward from here? (Other than the mention of the training and wanting to just go to bed - I feel ya there! :p)

I'm pretty confident I've read your writing before and I remain impressed with your overall writing skill. I sooooo wish I could have written like this when I was 14 :) You write really dynamic and interesting characters (at least they seem that way to me in this snapshot I got!) and you have a nice clean way of writing that clearly gets the point across while still sounding nice.

I'll leave things there for now. Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like feedback about something I didn't mention! :D

Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:17 pm
Hattable wrote a review...

Adriii--

I'm back again! And openings are difficult! Here's a review!

Above her was an inky starry night, stars swirling and blinking — but, imprinted onto the sky like a ringed coffee stain was a white outline.

I think a comma after “inky” would be appropriate. Another comma after “coffee stain” would also be a good addition, to close up that parenthetical comma break you started with “but, imprinted”.

Comma issues aside, I love the description of the portal up in the underworld sky! Very nice.

The air smelled strongly of petrichor, but she reached her hand out only to brush up against cool but dry grass. She shook her head, coming out of the soft daze and remembering her purpose for entering the underworld.

I'm trying to apply that whole TIPTOP thing here to figure out whether this would work better on its own, or tagged to the rest of the opening paragraph, but I can't work it out. I'm not great at paragraph breaks. Swapping from focus on the portal in the sky to the air of the general area feels like reason enough to change? But the paragraph's focus is mostly the atmosphere of this new realm and has sub-focuses? (Portal, sky, air, etc.) So I'm not sure about a break.

Meanwhile, something I am certain of is that saying “cool but dry” is weird here, and the repetition of “but” is choppy. You might rewrite this as “The air smelled strongly of petrichor, but reaching out her hand, she only brushed cool, dry grass.”

(Nice job sneaking 'petrichor' into the story, though. Great word.)

For some reason I read this in the voice Griffin McElroy does for gerblins, haha. But! It's Romy!!

Starting to stand up, she looked around to immediately spot the silver light that her only friend cast — with that, she saw Lena.

This sentence is rather unfortunate. It's got a lot going on and it could be presented more smoothly. I'd propose writing it more like “Starting to stand up, she looked around and immediately spotted the silvery light cast by her only friend – and beside it, Lena.”

Not much better but I'm trying to avoid putting too much of my own style into it?

You could also start the sentence off with “Pulling herself to her feet” or whatever variation fits best, because “Starting to stand up” feels a little winding to me, but that's just a suggestion.

Tears pricked at the corner of Cora’s vision, relieved to see Lena alive and not halfway decaying onto the grass.

“Decaying onto” implies that she'd sort of... become one with the grass? Or melt and mix into it? Like, I think you may have meant “on the grass”, but “onto” has a different vibe to it, and I'm not entirely sure which you were actually going for.

I'm reading “Speak of an omen” the way one would say “Speak of the devil” and I'm only partially certain that's how you meant it but I love it that way. If you have some other intended meaning with it, then you might wanna figure out how to clarify that, because first thoughts probably go to my example. If it's that, though, then nice!

Romy is kind of nonchalant here, but I suppose she could be a wispy, vaguely oblivious character? Or just sort of accepting of whatever pops up? Like “oh alright we're doing this now”. That kind of fits a ghost. But I'm not here to impose on how you write your characters!-- that's just the sense I get, and if you want her to be different then you might try to make her more surprised at seeing Cora here? And with such convenient timing? haha

Lena’s eyes cracked open and widened as she registered Cora’s existence.

I think “Cora's presence” would sound more natural here.

There was no time for Cora to dodge out of the way — or to even explain why being touched was a bad idea — as she was suddenly enveloped in a giant, shuddering hug.

Aw, poor babby. Aw, poor Cora.

Lena must have been alone for over half-an-hour in a mysterious otherworld.

Oh, you may have asked me about hyphenating this before but seeing context for it, I'm not sure hyphenating is proper. Then again, I'm not great with the rules of hyphenation so take this with a grain of salt.

She had been eight, two weeks before her mother’s death.Drawing forth from childhood memories, she started to shush Lena as a meager way of offering comfort.

Missing a space between these two sentences!

However, Cora couldn’t shake the awful, encompassing feeling of that every moment of comfort she extended to Lena was just another just another awful moment that she sucked away from Lena’s life.

Alright, couple stumbles here. First off, you should knock off the “of” after “encompassing feeling”-- “encompassing feeling that every moment [...]” reads just fine. Secondly, you accidentally typed “just another” two times in a row, haha.

Oh, you've also got “awful” twice which is kinda choppy. I'd suggest swapping the second? Though saying the moments sapped from Lena are awful, in this context, sounds like her life itself is what's awful, as opposed to the sapping being awful.

If you fix those mishaps, though, it's a great sentence!

Banishing those thoughts aside, she slowly shrank away as Lena unwrapped herself.

“Banishing aside” is a weird combination, don't you think? You could say “Pushing aside” but that's kind of lame. “Banishing those thoughts to the outskirts of her mind”? That's wordy, though. I like the use of 'banishing', but you might want to look for a substitute to 'aside'.

“Are we okay?” Lena asked, wiping the tears away on her splotched face with her wrist.

“On her splotched face” should come before “away”. So you could either make it “wiping the tears on her splotched face away with her wrist” or “wiping the splotched tears on her face away with her wrist”.

“Relax, kid. There’s only one person—well, two people in the world that Cora hates.

I feel like a second dash could work after “people” or “world”? (Either would work) But I'm not sure if you want that to be a halt to correct before continuing, or just like backspacing and continuing? To me they're kind of different, so the punctuation would make her voice vary depending, but yeah--

It was odd to see Romy half-way corporeal, looking as if she could be solid instead of just a wispy, silver shadow of a girl. Her outfit was finally discernible — an oversized, buttoned up denim jacket with striped leggings to complete the look

I take this sentence to imply that Cora had never really seen Romy in any sort of definable shape before coming to the underworld?

areas of the jacket and the leggings looked completely scorched, but Romy’s exposed skin looked absolutely not-crisped.

“not-crisped” is... fun? Cute way to contrast her skin from her burned clothes? But it's hard to take it seriously. I think just going with “unscathed” or “unburned” would be fine? It's entirely up to you, though. T

here isn't a load of this kind of thing throughout the story, so tossing in quips of it here and there in the prose itself can make your style feel wonky and I'm just trying to help you avoid that, haha. So, like, as much as I might typically enjoy something like this (not-crisped, or other “quips”), it doesn't flow with the rest of the style.

Cora could also finally see the style of her hair, curled ringlets knotted up with a scrunchie.

Comma doesn't feel right here. I'd personally use em-dashes? Or whatever they're called. “Cora could also finally see the style of her hair-- curled ringlets [...]” I tend to use those for breaks where a comma would be improper of a semicolon would be overkill? Like, to me it reads as a pause to clarify, thus working in this context, but I'm not sure how you feel about it here.

“We need to get L-E-N-A through the portal before her brother comes down.”

Can I just say that I love the detail of spelling out names in signed dialogue? I still read them as the names but I love how it works in prose and enhances the sense that the characters are signing.

Glancing back at the portal, the knot in Cora’s stomach increased by a tenfold as she watched as Samuel fall through the portal, landing on his two feet with cat-like agility.

Second “as”, after “watched”, can be removed. It'd benefit the flow, I think.

He wore a shirt, although it probably wouldn’t protect him from the subtle, deathly chill that permeated throughout the landscape.

Maybe add “now” after “He wore a shirt”? Just so it doesn't feel like such an aside and more like a direct reference to his previous shirtlessness.

“Dang,” Romy said. “Speak of an omen and they shall appear — shame, though. I think Cora is only omen with us.”

Right now I'm taking back my previous beat on the “Speak of an omen” thing. I still read it similarly to “Speak of the devil” but even if you don't intend it that way or you have multiple meanings for it, clarification isn't really necessary on it and would probably just bog things down. So! Leave it and ignore that previous beat, lel.

Uhh, note here though-- I think you might've meant “Core is the only omen with us”? If so, you forgot “the”.

And that's all!

Good good chapter. It didn't have as many issues with pacing or flow as you seemed to think in your author's note? It was really good. The pacing may have been a bit quick, but it was also a shorter chapter than usual and if you'd kept us hanging around waiting for Cora to find Lena, it'd probably get dull and feel like filler. Romy is rather abrupt, and her nonchalantness to Cora's sudden appearance could probably use some tweaking, but overall it was a good chapter.

Characters are consistent, too! And yay, we finally met Romy! I like the way she talks, and I hope you have her use some more slang. Oh man, you could have her mix '80s slang with some underworld slang-- that'd be fun.

Anyway, I hope this review has been helpful! If you need clarification on anything, don't hesitate to text me!

Keep up the great work!

- Hatt

Evander says...

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for the review!
And yeah, uhh, Romy definitely does not sound like Griffin's voice for the gerblins.

Okaaay, making those little edits -- you have a good eye for these sort of things, btw.

YES OKAY, so "speak of the devil" is "speak of an omen" in the underworld because... the devil is very much just an earth thing? (Not! going to get into theology.) So, uh, the [spoilers] and the [spoilers] sort of crafted their own variant that worked with their own experiences. So, yes! You read it exactly as I intended!

Okay, so uhh, here's Romy's outline (spoiler info removed).
Lawful good to a fault. She tries to follow the law to the letter, not giving away needed information even when it would be beneficial. She%u2019s slow to judge, slow to trust, slow to everything.

She is very much accepting of whatever pops up, but I'm figuring that's probably due to the nature of her job. Oblivious... isn't what I'm going for, though? She's very much In The Know (and you'll see why soon). So I might have to alter how I write her a little bit.

Not hyphenating half an hour gives me two more words in my word count, so I'll take that. ;)

Oh! Whoops! The repetition of "just another" must have been from when I was transcribing and editing what I recorded, haha.

Basically! Romy was definable in a... wispy outline? But like, fine details such as facial features and clothing style weren't really able to be seen. (You'll find out why!)

Yes! I'll hopefully do some research on some 80s slang! And slang in general to further twist >:]

Thank you so much for you review! I love reading these!

Defeat has its lessons as well as victory.
— Pat Buchanan