Happiest Things

by popsicles, BrEe

The happiest things in Life,

They let us be,

Powerful and free,

The happiest things inside,

They let us know,

How to use our pride,

The happiest things show,

Up when the hard times are here,

The happiest part in Life....

Is YOU my dear,

Because when we are sad,

And all we do is bother,

Or if we are sometimes mad,

The happiest things can stay,

Close inside our Hearts,

And than, they are not far away,

Know that soon a better time starts,

And all the happiest things you'd,

Ever dreamed about,

You could Live, without any doubt,

Don't be fearful but say it out loud,

Because the happiest things let us be proud.

Mathy wrote a review...

Hi, this is ZeldaIsShiek, here to review another amazing piece of literacy and beat the Werewolves once and for all! For the Witches shall win in the end! But before that happens, I am going to help you improve your writing as a whole and improve you as a Young Writer in the process. Of this I am certain. I like all literacy, regardless of what genre or subject it is falls under. When I review your work, this will become apparent to you. Are you ready? Let's begin the review!

I absolutely LOVE the message behind this poem! It is true that there are many things in life to enjoy, but only the happy things can set us free. This is a very accurate message to send to your readers, and I think that you must be a very astute poet to accurately incorporate this theme into your work. That takes a lot of skill and effort, and that is something that a poet must have in order to succeed at doing what they love. Your work truly is amazing, and I don't really have that much left to say here. I think I'm done with this review, but I'll add more for you!

My favorite lines are the last three because of the rhyme scheme and the clever use of commas. Remember to always enjoy the happy things in life, and be happy for who you are! I hope to review your work again soon. Bye!!!!

-ZeldaIsShiek

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:36 am
LittleLee wrote a review...

LittleLee's here for a review! Let us begin, shall we?
Alright, negatives first - so you do not need to finish reading the review with a sour taste in your mouth!

Look, I know that some poems need a substantial amount of commas, but this really does NOT. Your use of commas fragments the poem quite a lot, rendering the most powerful sentences useless. For example,
"The happiest things show,
Up when the hard times are here"
What IS this? Both of the sentences are fragments. What is the point of that? However, if you remove the comma, making it become
"The happiest things show up
When the hard times are here"
What have i done here? I eliminated the comma, and inserted "up" to the sentence above it. It sounds better, more eloquent. It also makes the two separate sentences have meaning, yes? There are a few other places like this.
The thing is, if you ask me, I would completely remove ALL the commas. Yes, all. It makes the poem so much easier to understand and read. Instead of commas, here and there i would punctuate the stanzas with full stops. Okay, enough of that. Let's move to the next point.
At one point, instead of "then" you wrote "than". This is a common mistake, and there is nothing to be embarrassed about. You could just remember the difference like this : " then" is related to the time, while "than" is a word usually comparing two or more things.

Now, to the positives of the poem.
I think you have really captured the very essence of happiness, and the various words you have used are simple, but artfully merged into the poem, making them beautiful. And the poem itself is really nice to read. Well done!
(I hope my review didn't become too critical!)

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi there popsicles! You commented on one of my pieces so I wanted to return the favor.

I'll be using a Reviewing Method called the "YWS Critique Sandwich" to do my review which is one of the many methods people go about reviewing on the site.

Top Bread: What I liked about the piece
I like to use headings to organize my thoughts here

imagery
I enjoy that you used a few pieces of imagery in order to make your points clearer -- this can be seen in the flying description as well as the mention of the sun. Imagery is a great tool to use in poetry to make points stand out, and connect an emotion or image with the reader. I would love to see you develop this even more in your poem, maybe by adding specifics about the images you've already chosen.

personification
Metaphorical language and poetic devices like personification are one of my favorite parts about poetry. In this one you used the detail of dreams flying and falling, this is a great way to add interest to your piece rather than just saying "sometimes dreams work, sometimes they don't" you took it a step further and made it unique. I think the line "Dreams let us fly and let us fall" was probably my favorite line in the poem.

Meat of the Review: Places where the author can improve upon
This is the part of the review where the most time should be spent, where a reviewer takes specific examples to show suggestions of where the author can make improvement.

rhyme scheme
For me the rhyme scheme was a bit distracting.

Maybe sometimes it doesn't work a

And after all b

Dreams let us fly and let us fall b

We really need them in our Lives c

The sun arrives with a new day d

They come out and want to playd

With us and they let us know e

That the happiest things in Life f

Can let us grow e

So that's a,b,b, c,d,d, e,f,e

I put the rhyme scheme you used under the spoiler, but I think it would have been more effective if it would have ended up abb cdd eff because then at least there would be a discernible pattern -- to fix this, just make the last two lines rhyme. :)

Here are two resources about rhyming:
Marking Up A Poem
Rhyme...all the time!

theme/message/continuity
The biggest area that I would like to see this poem develop in is in continuity of the message. Right now if you follow the line of reasoning the poem makes, it doesn't all quite go together but the message seems sort of wandering or stilted.

I took your poem to mean this:
Sometimes stuff doesn't work out (lines 1-3)
but we should keep trying and dreaming (line 4)
Sometimes stuff does work out and time keeps passing (line 5)
Sometimes the sun [a metaphor for time or dreams?] wants to play with us (line 6-7)
And then the sun/time/dreams tell us about happy things (line 8)
We can grow (line 9)

So the main issues here are the poem has two messages -- one about optimism about dreams and then another message about the power of the sun. The metaphor about the sun (lines 5-9) are probably the weakest part of the poem for me because the speaker never says what the sun is a metaphor for. The line about the sun playing with the speaker seems sort of random, and then the last line isn't connected to the greater theme.

I would mainly suggest thinking about what message you want the poem to say and then condensing the poem to say that -- in other words, take out whatever lines do not contribute or distract from your poem's main theme or message. This will create a poem that has a more impactful and clear message that readers will remember.

Last piece of bread: Closing message about overall impressions
So overall, I think this poem demonstrates a lot of growth from the last piece that I read of yours. I would love to see you develop some of your strengths -- like your personification of dreams or your start of the sun metaphor -- by really delving into these and drawing them out you could create a really strong picture for the reader. I would also like to see the message communicated in a clearer more direct way so that as a reader I can get a better picture of what you're communicating.

Best of luck in your future writing, and please let me know if you have any questions about my review at all!

~alliyah

popsicles says...

Hey there, thank you I have edit my poem a little bit :D

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:39 pm
woahhitherepal wrote a review...

Hello I'm here to review your poem a little (:
Alrighty, so. you have already improved quite a bit!
in fact this is a very good poem. there are still a few flow problems so let us dig into that.

"You know that after all"
in this line I personally think that you should remove the "You know".

"At night and sometimes at day"
this line needs to be replaced completely, it basically ruins the flow of the first 4 lines and then the remaining 4 lines afterwards. maybe try rewording it to have make a little more sense.

otherwise there was nothing else about this poem that I disliked.
this poem was extremely good and I look forward to seeing more from you (:
have a good day and an uLTRA sPOOky haLLoWEeN
>Adrian

popsicles says...

Hahaha thanks!

seeing this tag and going "oh what's this? :)" then getting slapped in the face with shady's good grammar is the worst thing that's ever happened to me
— SilverNight