Being A Poet

by popsicles, popsicles

Being a Poet is so awesome and cool,

Being a Poet is learning how to be in school,

Being a Poet is hard work and learn to feel,

What's inside your heart, only that's real,

Being a Poet means thinking about,

Being a Poet, is sharing and caring,

About what's Life, let us hold,

Being a Poet is listening to our Soul,

Somewhere deep between head and Heart,

It makes our scars that we have, whole,

And the dreams that we have, will start,

Being a Poet let us only see,

For me...being a Poet, it's good to be,

Different yeah, that are we,

Maybe we can fall

But being a poet, is better than it, all.

Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:40 pm
AutumnDawn says...

OH MY GOD..... YOU ARE SO RIGHT.... THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS VERY WONDERFUL POEM.
I LOVE BEING A POET. I LOVE THE FACT THAT IN POETRY YOU CAN SAY WHATEVER YOU LIKE. AND THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE GRAMMAR. AND THAT IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TO RYHME
I AM FREE VERSE POET. AND I HAVE BEEN FOR AWHILE

-----
Being a Poet is so awesome and cool,

Being a Poet means thinking about,

Being a Poet, is sharing and caring,

About what's Life, let us hold,

Being a Poet is listening to our Soul,

Somewhere deep between head and Heart,

It makes our scars that we have, whole,
--------

EVERYTHING RIGHT HERE. IS WHY I GET UP EACH MORNING AND WHY I LOVE TO WRITE. AND I AM ALWAYS WRITING.... GOD.... JUST SO PERFECT.... AND SHOULD HAVE LIKE OVER THOUSANDS REVIEWS AND LIKES. IT SHOULD BE POSTED ON BILLBOARDS. ON POSTERS. ON FACEBOOK. IT SHOULD BE THROW INTO THE WORLD OF POETRY. FOR ALL POETS TO UNDERSTAND. AND GO BY. IT SHOULD BE ON EVERY SORT OF MERCHANDISE POSSIABLE. GOD SHOULD JUST BE EVERYWHERE.

PLEASE NEVER STOP WRITING THINGS LIKE THIS. WE NEED STUFF LIKE THIS IN THE WORLD TODAY. TO KEEP ALL OF US POETS HEADS UP AND TO LIVE BY.
THANK-YOU - THANK -YOU-THANK-YOU - THANK -YOU-THANK-YOU - THANK -YOU-THANK-YOU - THANK -YOU
ITS JUST SO PERFECT

Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:40 pm
AutumnDawn wrote a review...

-----
Being a Poet is so awesome and cool,

Being a Poet means thinking about,

Being a Poet, is sharing and caring,

About what's Life, let us hold,

Being a Poet is listening to our Soul,

Somewhere deep between head and Heart,

It makes our scars that we have, whole,
--------

ITS JUST SO PERFECT

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:29 pm
ChocolateCello wrote a review...

Hello! Cello here hoping to give some helpful feedback.

I'll break things down and go line by line.

Being a Poet is so awesome and cool

Being a Poet is learning how to be in school

These lines have a syllable issue here. The first line has fewer syllables than the second line, which throws off the flow of the poem. You should try and either lengthen the first line or shorten the second. (Syllables are one of the harder parts of poetry, but once you get them down, you're good to go :) )
I'd also like to mention that 'Poet' can simply be 'poet' (No capitalization)

Being a Poet is hard work and learn to feel

What's inside your heart, only that's real

The first line here has some grammar mistakes. The 'learn to feel' in context with the rest of the line isn't correct. You start with 'being a poet is...' which suggests that a description is to follow. 'hard work' is a proper description but 'learn to feel' is a command. 'Learning to feel' would be a suitable alternative. If you're trying to imply that both being a poet and learning to feel are hard work, then you need to do some rephrasing. (I'd be happy to help with that if you need- just let me know)

Being a Poet means thinking about

Being a Poet, is sharing and caring

About what's Life, let us hold

Being a Poet is listening to our Soul

Somewhere deep between head and Heart

It makes our scars that we have, whole

And the dreams that we have, will start

Being a Poet let us only see

For me...being a Poet, it's good to be

I'm pulling out a bigger chunk here to talk about rhythm scheme. Rhythm scheme is a hard thing to get down in poetry. There should be a pattern if you're choosing to rhyme.
If you choose the scheme ABAB then you should have a 'line A' followed by a 'line B' followed by a 'line A' followed by a 'line B' etc. The lines with matching letters should rhyme with the other lines holding that letter. There are plenty of rhythm schemes to choose from- it might be fun to do some research on this if you're interesting in learning more about poetry. :)

The second to last line isn't grammatically correct. You're probably looking to chance 'let' to "let's". It might also say 'only us' instead of 'us only'. (This is, assuming I'm getting your point properly)

If you have any questions or need help with anything, feel free to ask! I'm always happy to try and help

Keep up the hard work!
-Cello

popsicles says...

thakyou!

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:40 am
woahhitherepal wrote a review...

Hello I'm here to review your poem a bit.
okay so just going right into it.
there are a few flow problems and spelling errors.
I don't know if you used repetition on purpose or not but to me (please don't hate me when I say this) it seems kind of childish. I reminds me of one of the poems i would have read in around 5-6th grade as a demonstration on how to write poetry. I'm sorry if that seems rude.
then there are a few lines I feel don't really go (here comes some of the spelling mistakes too)

"Being a Poet is hard work and leanr to feel"
with the first two lines and then the following lines I personally do not think that this fits at all. then "leanr" did you me learn?

"Being a Poet means thinking about"
thinking about.
thinking about what?
you didn't finish your sentence. I would absolutely love if you invited the rest of your sentence to the party I'm sure it feels left out.

"Being a Poet, is sharing and caring

About what's Life, let us hold"
now the first line of this one is good but the second line is what got to me.
let us hold what? all these sentences want to come to the party and you're leaving them home. please bring them along I bet they're good pals.

now that I'm done being a Negative Nancy, I will tell you the things that I like about it.
I really like the general idea of this poem. its very nice actually. so

"What's inside your heart, only that's real"
this line I really like, because it's true.
sometimes our head doesn't know and that's okay.

"It makes our scars that we have, whole"
Again same concept. I like this line because it's true.
writing is one of my only creative outlets besides the music I create.
It's really a beautiful and underrated thing that not everyone understands.
but I'm glad you do enough to create such a good poem.
all it needs is a little editing and it'll all be honky dory.
keep up the good work my fren.
I look forward to see more from you
have a lovely day (:
>Adrian

popsicles says...

thanks fkr the review!

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:00 pm
Hijinks wrote a review...

Hi there popsicles! As I said already, welcome to the YWS!!!

I'm whatchamacallit - or, as most people know me, whatcha - and I tend to stick to reviewing poetry.

With introductions aside, onto the review!

First of all, a general rule of poetry - too much repetition tends to make words lose their meaning, so to speak. Have you ever tried saying a word over and over? If you do, you might notice it starts to sound like nonsense and lose its meaning. The same (to some extent) goes for poetry.

So you'll notice you repeat 'being a poet' is repeated quite a bit. You could change it around, like,

''being a poet is so awesome and cool,
writing the script is learned in school, ''
etc.

I understand that English isn't your first language, so here's a tip about poetry.
There are 'strong' words and 'weak' words. Think of, words that adults use (strong) and words that kids use (weak), or something like that.

'Awesome', 'cool', and other words like that are sometimes thought of as weak.
Other words, like 'magnificent' or 'fierce' are more strong. However, English not being your mother tongue, it will probably be hard to tell those apart at first. I would definitely find that hard in a language, like, say, French.

So anyway. Onto punctuation.

I've put it in a spoiler (the whole poem, that is) with my suggestions for grammar/punctuation.

Being a Poet is so awesome and coolcomma
Being a Poet is learning how to be in schoolperiod <- I think you mean 'how to be a poet is learned in school, however not quite sure :D
Being a Poet is hard work and leanr comma <- change to learning to feel
What's inside your heart, only that's real <- again, I think you mean 'the stuff that's real'
Being a Poet means thinking about <- in English this is an incomplete sentence. Thinking about ... what?
Being a Poet, is sharing and caringcomma
About what's Life, let us hold period <- I think you mean as the English say, 'what life has in store for us' - basically what's going to happen.
Being a Poet is listening to our Soulcomma
Somewhere deep between head and Heart
It makes our scars that we have, wholedash
And the dreams that we have, will startperiod
Being a Poet let us only see <- Not sure exactly what this is supposed to mean. However, correct grammar would be 'being a poet lets us see'.
For me...being a Poet, it's good to be <- 'it's a good thing to be

Whew. That may seem like a lot, but I love the actual contents of the poem! Being a poet I really agree with some of the stuff you are writing about in this poem. :)

Last but not least, rhyming.

Rhyming in my world is precise, and important. If you're going to rhyme, stick to a pattern. Generally the rule is, if a poem starts 'abab'
(the cat
sit on
a mat
just beyond)
or 'aabb'
(the cat
on a mat
sits just beyond
a fire that is on)
etc., stays in that pattern. Make sense?
However, you're rhyming mid sentences, every other sentence, every sentence, so forth. Try to regulate that. :P

Oh, and, as DemonGoddess mentioned, stanzas. Break it up into parts. One way would be,

Being a Poet is so awesome and cool
Being a Poet is hard work and leanr to feel

Being a Poet means thinking about
Being a Poet, is sharing and caring
About what's Life, let us hold

Being a Poet is listening to our Soul
Somewhere deep between head and Heart
It makes our scars that we have, whole
And the dreams that we have, will start

Being a Poet let us only see
For me...being a Poet, it's good to be

And that's all there is! Great poem!
If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

~whatchamacallit

popsicles says...

thanks! <3 :D

Hijinks says...

no problem! :P

popsicles says...

:D

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:36 pm
zaminami wrote a review...

Hello popsicles! Welcome to YWS! Kara here for a (hopefully) quick review!

Give me your soul.

With that aside, I'm not the best at poetry but here we go!

Bold = grammar and flow issues.
Italics = suggestions and overall
Strikethrough = remove
Underline = krazy Kara komments.

{I'd l}ove to be

A {p}oet you'll see?

I can clear my mind

And write it down

Everything I find

Inside my head

Do I leave behind

{What is} left?

{These are the} memories

That I hold

And they can not make me cold{.}

Okay, so I saw that English is not your first language. Let me help you with that. Here are a few rules of English grammar and poetry --

1. Never capitalize any nouns unless they are proper - like names - or at the beginning of a sentence.
  2. Read your poem out loud (this is more of a tip, but whatever). Does it flow well? Does it work?
  3. Separate your stanzas so it'll be easier to read. I couldn't figure out where to separate, but you can do that on your own.

If you need any more grammar help or general English help in general, PM me!

Why haven’t you given me your soul yet? --

Kara

This review courtesy of

popsicles says...

Thankyou kind from you!
I go practice now

zaminami says...

yo welcome :D

popsicles says...

YAY hahaa

wordwing says...

English is also not my first language:). Now i know I ain't the only one;)

zaminami says...

oh, that explains a lot wordwing. I'll go easy on you next time.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:17 pm
DeerInBacPac wrote a review...

Hello, E.E here for a possibly quick review and maybe some utter nonsense! So, lets get started! :D
First thing I notice is that the flow is not the best. Yes, I like the poem but it could of been worded better. For instance, "Love to be" could instead be "I would love to be" and to follow that, "a poet can't you see?" Those would make the whole thing flow better. "Do I leave behind" that line is rather confusing me, once again because of the wording. When you go back to fix the poem and when you write other things, make sure you read them out out loud to your self. It really helps! Otherwise, I noticed no other grammar mistakes or spelling ones so that is good.
Now is when I dissect you poem and see if I can't get its meaning right! So, in your poem you are talking about the fact how you would just love to write poems for a living, like Edgar Allen Poe (although his were not very popular with American's, the french LOVED him. Seriously, some had a slight problem), and want to people to know that this is how you express yourself to the world. This, writing, is how you cope and how you can just be yourself! You do not want to leave this part of you behind in the dust, to lose the part that you love. What you want to write you just store for later in your brain, like a photographic memory and the more you do this the more ideas that come and the more you know that no will ever take this part away from you.
Otherwise, I have nothing else to say but I really like the poem, keep up the good world and Happy Halloween!
Also, why not say hi to my lovely friend the Grim Reaper? Heres a tip, he likes hot cocoa!

popsicles says...

thanks for the review, English is not my first language, so I try to imporve me every day, thanks for the tips, cause I needed them to make my work better, I go practice now ;-)

Love: Bree

DeerInBacPac says...

No problem Bree! :mrgreen:

popsicles says...

Well, I have mark my words haha I like this change more in my poem!

You can't fool me! I listen to public radio!
— Squidward Tentacles