Conics Unfortunately: 1

by Ventomology

She bumped into her soon-to-be hero in the ladies’ room, which was a little weird, because this hero turned out to be a siren, and sirens didn’t need to pee and most definitely were not made for earthling toilets. After all, they were practically mermaids; they did their business the way most fish did business.

The siren whapped her ankles with its tail as it flopped along the ground, and honestly the movement looked so lopsided and clumsy that Ellipse would feel like a jerk if she mentioned the whapping, so she just kept washing her hands and tried not to react. She finished her first run-through of the English alphabet song just as the siren slipped into a bathroom stall, and then she heard a peculiar plunking sound, like someone dropping a rock into a lake.

“Deep space,” Ellipse groaned. “Please tell me sirens do not puke up rocks. I just unplugged the toilet in the first stall.” She pulled her hands from the sink and flicked away the excess water, and then, as she reached for the hand dryer, she opened her mouth and sang a series of tentative notes. Hopefully her accent was not too awful.

The siren sang back like a squawky novice clarinetist. It had definitely just puked. That was going to be hecking gross to clean up. Probably. Sighing, Ellipse pulled out her phone and asked the search engine about extraterrestrial emesis habits.

She learned a number of things in the ensuing seconds. One: sirens puked the same way people did, which was smelly and no less disgusting than rocks, but at least meant there would be no clogged toilets or busted sewage pipes. When the acrid stench of acid and seawater and frying oil smacked her nose, Ellipse simply brought up her free hand, pinched her nostrils, and took a deep breath through her mouth.

Two: the siren would want to rest in a saltwater tank soon, though one far less saline than any earthling’s saltwater aquarium, because the salt content in Sirena’s oceans was a solid ten parts per thousand, and Earth oceans were up around thirty-five.

Three: never doubt the strength of a fish’s tail. (Ellipse got whacked again when the siren heaved up round two, and her ankles smarted like the fiery surface of the hecking sun.)

She sang another question at the alien, and it answered back with a moan that sounded like a broken bassoon. That seemed like the siren equivalent of “euagh,” which Ellipse totally got. She would make broken bassoon noises too, if her voice had been pitched low enough.

“Should I call for your party?” Ellipse sang. Obviously, she did not sing the actual English words. They did not match the siren language’s syllable count, and the siren would just wonder what in deep space was wrong with her voice.

“Please,” the siren answered, sounding vaguely better. Ellipse assumed that bass-clarinet with a new, too-hard reed was better than broken bassoon, but she could be wrong. Not every species had the same taste in sounds. “I’m from the Conics.”

The what? Ellipse had not been to school for a while, but she was more than certain that conics were a subject of mathematical study, and not some kind of inspiring ship name. She clucked her tongue and stared at the ceiling, the hand over her nose blocking most of her view, and racked her brain for any words that sounded similar.

“You mean the Fragment?” she asked. That at least sounded sort of like a ship name.

And of course, the siren had meant what it said. “No,” it replied, and then it squawked and shivered, and the flat of its tail slapped against the tiled floor. “I sang Conics, like the field of mathematical study.”

Yes, Ellipse had seen stupider names, but those had been stupid in a the-owner-might-have-been-inebriated way, and not a the-owner-enjoys-the-torture-of-useless-mathematics way. Why anyone would name a spaceship after something as boring as conics, she could not fathom.

And Fathomless would be an awesome ship name, now that she thought about it.

“Fine, fine,” she sang. “Conics. I just wanted to make sure. Now I will go to find them for you.”

The siren vomited again, and Ellipse wished she could plug her ears and her nose at the same time, because the plopping sound was more than enough to get her stomach rolling. She hopped over the alien’s tail and scampered out of the bathroom, and then turned right to find the call station for custodial and restaurant staff.

The Fold Terminal was a zoo, like always. A terrifying hybrid of airport, industrial dock, and actual zoo, it smelled faintly of methane, sweet, cold oxygen, and citrus air freshener. Its floors and airspace were cluttered with feet and long, scaly necks, and swooping sky-born aliens.

A collection of food chains sat together a short way down the terminal, and there, the chaos of all the mingling species fizzled out. Instead of writhing in a mind-boggling mass of mismatched textures and patterns and colors, everyone sorted themselves neatly into lines according to species. An earthling burger joint produced a line of middle-aged humans in dark, sensible business clothing, though Ellipse did spot a family wearing vibrant t-shirts and a fellow custodian with bright green hair.

Across the hallway stood a line of gato: feline aliens who ran the pigment gamut from deep, blackish blue to snowy white. They didn’t do clothing, which was unusual among intelligent species, but they did wear backpacks, and had taken to lugging around earthling luggage as well. Several gato had their prehensile tails wrapped about the handle of earthling-style carry-on bags.

Ellipse caught a glimpse of bright yellow paint marring the grey cement walls of the terminal, and she quickened her pace. That would have to be the call station or the first aid kit or both, and any of those options would be useful right now. She hurried past the burger joint and the gato equivalent, tuning out the noise and occasional flashing light.

And then, because the universe made the sharing of bad luck its ultimate goal, Ellipse rounded the corner of the gato restaurant’s line and tripped over a kid in a wheelchair.

Actually, she tripped him, and then proceeded to faceplant into the tiled floor. Her foot caught the edge of the wheel, and his chair slipped, and the next thing she knew, she was making out with the floor. The boy in the chair managed—thankfully—to stay upright and seated.

“Oh shoot!” That was him. He sounded halfway between boy and grown-up, like his vocal cords could not just pick scratchy, manly tenor or soft-spoken alto and had opted for both. “I’m really sorry about that! Are you okay?”

Oh, and he spoke English like an American. Gross. The moment Ellipse talked back, he was going to judge her so hard. “I am fine,” she spluttered, face still stuck to the floor. “No harm is done.”

“Are you sure? Can you get up? Do you need help?”

“I am peachy,” she replied, trying to get her hands under her shoulders. “Everything is fine.”

He was quiet for a moment while Ellipse pushed herself onto her hands and knees.

And then he had the gall to muse aloud. “I’ve never heard the space accent before. It’s like Russian and Spanish and Mandarin and Hindi all at once.”

What an asteroid. Ellipse had half a mind to call him something nasty, but she stopped herself. She clenched her jaw and tried to smile, and when her face was no longer dark and angry and wrinkled, she beamed up at the boy and stood up. “Well, that is a lot of what Global Gliss comes from, you know? There are like a bajillion other languages involved too, but people only recognize the big four.”

“I wonder why the early colonists didn’t just use English,” the boy wondered. He smiled up at Ellipse, and she wanted to glower at him.

She did not glower. Instead, she shrugged and kept smiling and took a step toward the yellow box bolted to the wall. Red paint along the front told her it was both a call station and a first aid kit. Score.

“Say,” the boy continued, “you look a lot like that Elliott Bei girl who went missing.”

All heck to boys and conversations. Ellipse quirked an eyebrow and gave the boy a quizzical stare, ready to fire back with a celebrity lookalike, but when she took a long, hard look at his face, she realized she had no comparison.

He was dark and brown, with a strong nose and stronger eyebrows, and his black eyes glittered like space. His hair fluffed out in black waves, unruly as a solar flare.

Ellipse frowned and shook her head. “Do you only speak English?” she asked.

He nodded, still smiling.

“Really? No Hindi or Telugu or Bengali or anything?”

“Nope. My birth parents wanted to teach me, but some stuff happened, and I don’t think I’ll ever get the chance to pick up their first languages.” Still grinning, he rolled his wheelchair back and forth for a moment, as if he were shuffling his feet like a nervous, two-legged boy. A blanket covered his lap, and he stored a briefcase in the space where his legs would have hung over the edge of the seat. Ellipse wondered if he lost his legs and his parents at the same time, but she kept the question off her features.

“That is too bad,” she offered. “But maybe if you visit Titan you can find someone to teach you.”

“Hmm. You know, you really do look like Elliott Bei. Are you related?”

Ellipse blinked. “To be honest, I have no idea who this girl is. Is she like an earthling celebrity or something?”

That, apparently, was the wrong thing to say. The boy laughed, and suddenly his glittery eyes were more on the nasty, mischievous, gleaming side, and he licked his lips like a predator going in for the kill. “You haven’t heard of Elliott Bei? But she’s infamous!”

Hecking heckity heck. Ellipse let out a nervous giggle, and her eyes darted around the terminal, searching for an escape route. “Is that so?" she twittered.  "I am afraid I do not get out often. Custodians only make so much money, you know?” She took a step back, and then another, and then she hit a wall of fur.

The boy rolled towards her, that infernal smile still stretched across his chin. “Miss Elliott Bei, I’m afraid we’re going to have to take you in. That incident you had last year with Andra-Media broke a plethora of international-

Ellipse knocked over his wheelchair and bolted into the crowd. She had done nothing wrong.

BrumalHunter wrote a review...

Salutations, Buggie!

You certainly don't need any more reviews on this chapter, but you've been bugging me to review it for more than half a year, so here I finally am! It'll probably take me as long to review it as it took you to write it, but we'll see how things turn out. If the chapters remain more or less this length, I might be able to review them consistently during RevMo (I started doing that for Muster Heroes, but I'll need more than just two hours for those chapters...).

Ah, it is so refreshing reading your humour-filled stories again. I hadn't realised quite how much I missed your writing style. I don't have much to say beyond that I'm enjoying the opening a lot and snickering at it. Sirens are presented as awkward and ungraceful, and that contrast alone makes the scene memorable and funny. It's also interesting that sirens actually speak through singing. It's always presented as something optional to lure sailors to their watery (or rocky) deaths.

...Those three points sound quite... well, painful, though each in a different way. Poor Ellipsis! If she's one of the members of the cleaning staff, then firstly, I commend you for the originality of the character occupation (we don't see enough of these kinds of people), and secondly, I am very interested to see where in the story this makes Ellipsis fit in. It also aids in characterisation, which is always a positive.

I love how Ellipsis cannot believe she understood the siren correctly, yet the siren confirms the interpretation when Ellipsis tries to suggest an alternate one. And her response to that is perfect (the ship name she made up is also excellent). It'll be fun to see the customs of the other aliens, and nude-yet-backpacking cats are as good a follow-up as any.

Your writing skill has certainly improved since the last time I read one of your works, and I'm impressed! Your writing was sophisticated (despite your self-admitted preference for toilet jokes) and your humour enjoyable before, but it nevertheless feels like it has matured. If it's just practice that resulted in this, then that's epic! Whatever the cause may be, congratulations!

The universe definitely has a sense of humour, and making Ellipsis trip over and trip a boy in a wheel chair, faceplant onto the tiled floor, and "make out" with the tripped boy indicates it has quite a decent one at that. (By the way, I think you meant "faceplanted onto", as I have it, as opposed to "into".) Said boy seems rather ignorant to the customs of space travel, and I'm tempted to make a comment on the correlation between that and his American heritage, but I'll paradoxically abstain from doing so. (It's interesting that he's of Indian lineage, though! Good choice.)

Your usage of "heck", "hecks", "hecking", and apparently "heckity" is highly amusing, by the way. And yes, that's worth a paragraph of its own.

Hmm, the chapter ended more suddenly than expected, but it was a good scene and method with which to conclude it! I wonder if Ellipsis really is Elliott Bei, since you could just as easily be taking us for a ride. I'll need to see, I guess.

As I told Tort, why did I wait so long to start reviewing this? I have many valid reasons, of course, but I nevertheless regret not having started reading this sooner. Well, there's no further reason to vent (not that you did that to begin with), as I'm here now and will finish reading this novel eventually.

I wanted to say some other things after that, but I nearly fell asleep both times, so I'll just finish before I write something incoherent Thanks for the awesome first chapter! I'm looking forward to the others.

~ Hunter

Ventomology says...

Haha listen. The bathroom humor, the OG occupation... later... stuff. It all ties together quite nicely.

ryanmakenna wrote a review...

Wow! Nicely done. First off, I love her name. Ellipse! So creative and inventive, and definitely sci-fi-y.

You did a great job throughout the whole thing showing us the details of the world without dumping information onto us. I love the immediate introduction of different languages and how this particular character is so nonchalant about knowing how to sing Siren--it makes the reader wonder just how many languages she must know. The overall tone of the chapter is also perfect; you give us a great look into who this character is, how her mind works, how she thinks, and what her personality is like; I loved that. Honestly, I'm finding it hard to find any point of criticism!

I look forward to reading many more of the chapters you have posted!

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:19 pm
Carina wrote a review...

Why hello! I'm making it a goal to do at least 4 reviews/week, so I was on the lookout for interesting novels that update daily. Your story caught my eye because, um, sci-fi and humor??!? Count me in!

To be honest, this chapter is written so nicely that I don't actually have real critique to give you, heh. But I can comment on what I liked and the overall content of this chapter.

For starters, I just want to say that you have a natural voice. Your sentences flow smoothly enough that I found myself so engrossed in the story, that I forgot I needed to pay attention to every detail so I can note them in my review. I'm looking forward to the 46+ chapters I'll be reading in the future! (I wonder if I'll ever catch up enough that I'll be reading them right when you post them...)

I also want to applaud you on the wonderful use of humor. There's the obvious humor:

Actually, she tripped him, and then proceeded to faceplant into the tiled floor. Her foot caught the edge of the wheel, and his chair slipped, and the next thing she knew, she was making out with the floor.

...then there's the subtle humor:

Oh, and he spoke English like an American. Gross. ...

What an asteroid. ... “Well, that is a lot of what Global Gliss comes from, you know? There are like a bajillion other languages involved too, but people only recognize the big four.”

Ahh yes, as a fellow American, I can confirm that this stereotype is definitely true, lol. Nice use of using irony and humorous stereotypes to make the story relatable. It's not everyday that readers are able to relate and laugh at a story about a space janitor who works at an alien airport.

I also love how you do descriptions. You give the readers just enough to create a mental image, but not too much that it becomes an overwhelming info-dump. I thought this description was done PERFECTLY:

The only description we didn't get was one of Ellipse, but I'm sure we will get one very soon. Also, I'm not sure if you've done this on purpose, but I noticed that Ellipse and Elliot are similar names, and with the cliffhanger, it sounds like they're now associated with one another. Great and subtle use of foreshadowing.

That's about all I have for now. I'll be reading chapter 2 tomorrow, and I hope it's as good as this one! (Sooooo heckin' looking forward to all the science and alien scenes.)

Cheers,
Carina

Ventomology says...

Hey! Glad you've picked up this story! Conics Unfortunately is part of the Last Man Standing contest, so it updates weekly. If you would like to catch up (and be able to review stuff while it's in the GR), I predict you'll have about 6 months to get there.

I'm glad you liked this chapter! You will get occasional details about Ellipse's looks, but I'm afraid I haven't put together one that's quite as consolidated as the boy's. Hopefully the rest of the novel will live up to the high expectations this chapter set for you.

Thanks so much!
-Buggie

Carina says...

Ahh okay. Good job for making it this far! I hope my reviews will add to your inspiration to pump out more chapters and indeed be the last man standing. :)

On a more unrelated note, I didn't realize you were BuggieDude. I think I remember seeing your username in, like, 2013, but I don't think we've ever talked. Welp, better late than never!

TheSilverFox wrote a review...

x^2/16 + y^2/4 = 1

whoops, sorry. :P

How nice of her to shove over a teen in a wheelchair, even if I doubt he's actually a teen and also I doubt everything else about him. :P

Anyways, it's me, no longer capable of being hit with a pan because I'm actually going back to the start and reviewing. Well, until I say something stupid, which I probably will. Nevertheless, as an introduction, I enjoyed this chapter. The worldbuilding is nice, particularly when it comes to the descriptions of the sirens and some of the other species, the languages of the characters, and the place Ellipse works at. Fortunately, you avoid infodumps altogether, providing nice packets of information that allow me to further understand the story as you string together an interesting plot. Having Ellipse looking the behavior of sirens was an especially nice way of adding details in a sensible fashion (if extremely gross). Too, I like the discussions in the chapter of languages, accents, celebrities, and the differences between species. So, all in all, nice job creating a fascinating world!

Beyond that, I can now see where half of the title comes from (though the title as a whole still mystifies me, I admit), and this basically confirms the question I had about Ellipse. Well, unless she's actually Elliot's sister who swapped names with Elliot and ran off to evade her superstar life while the real Elliot enjoys fame, but Ellipse's hoping that the album fails leads me to doubt this theory. Actually, then again, Ellipse has all the songs of one sister while appearing to ignore the other, so asdfghklj THIS IS THE OPENING CHAPTER, NOT THEORY TIME. also I'm confusing myself.

I suppose, if I have anything to offer as criticism, that I feel like some descriptions are a little lacking. I still don't know what Ellipse looks like, so I can't envision her that easily in my head. The second example is perhaps perfunctory, but there is also the matter of the gatos. Considering gato is the Spanish word for cat, I am now seeing large anthropomorphic cats with varying fur color. Add in the information that you have included and that either says something about my less-than-stable psyche or the possible reactions of the audience. Either way, while it might not be a significant in-story at the moment, it's something that I wouldn't mind clarification for.

And that's about it! I'm sorry if my review isn't helpful or is kind of erratic; this chapter was fun to read, and there's not much I can say as advice or suggestions for improvement. Well done!

P.S.: +1 point for the repeated use of the word hecking. :P

Ventomology says...

Now that you mention it, I don't think I ever gave Ellipse a good physical description. I'm very awful about describing my sort-of-narrating characters. Unless they meet each other. Then I guess the describing happens.

And I really ought to clarify that the gato look like giant cats. I did a bad job with describing them too. When they eventually come back, I'll try to remember to use more action words that imply four-legged-ness.

Anyways, thanks so much for coming back to the beginning! When you post chapter one for your LMS, you absolutely must tag me.

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hey, since the After Watch is looking in pretty good shape, I figured I had time to come all the way back to the start of this and review each chapter.

Nit-picks and nice moments:

I utterly adore your opening paragraph. Perfect amounts each of humour and description.

Ellipse would feel like a jerk

I think it should be "would have felt".

extraterrestrial emesis habits.

I don't know what emesis means, and I don't think readers are guaranteed to. This means I assume it refers to puking, which is what I'm then expecting all the facts to be about, which they don't appear to be. That's just slightly confusing, but hey, maybe I should just use a dictionary :P

like his vocal cords could not just pick scratchy, manly tenor

The flow here doesn't quite work because it sounds at first like the problem with the vocal chords is that they'd couldn't pick scratchy. Because semantically that works as a phrase, my brain immediately thinks that must be what it means, until the pragmatic checker in my head realises that makes no sense and goes onto the rest of the sentence. This all happens in a split second, but it is a little bit jarring.

beamed up at the boy and stood up

Repetition of "up" is also a bit jarring.

Hecking heckity heck.

Heehee, I really like how distinctive Ellipse's inner monologue language is.

Character: I really like Ellipse as a character. She's funny, strong and relatable. I do think however that we need a bit more about what she's doing here in the opening chapter. I know infodumping is a danger, but the opposite can be a problem as well. Even just when talking about the names of ships, she could mention the name of her own ship or something. There are places to work in where she's from and hint at what she's doing that would be very helpful.

Setting: I really like the number of details you have here. It's not too many, not too few, just right. I also really like the setting itself; it seems really fun.

Plot: I think there could be a little more told to us about why she's taking care of the siren. Is that her task, or did she just stumble across it and realise it needed some assistance? The last line is also very intriguing. That seems like a bit of an overcompensation and a very emphatic insistence that she has done nothing wrong suggests she's in denial about something. I am very intrigued to find out what that could be.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

Ventomology says...

Oh my gosh you actually came back I love you.

Given that this piece is part of the Last Man Standing contest, I'm not really going back to fix nitpicks (unless they're typos, because I have an image to maintain), but I will keep explanations in mind as I continue writing!

Thanks so much for coming back to review this. It means a lot!

ExOmelas says...

No worries :D (and fair enough)

*snort*

[quote][/quote]

This is such an American thing to think, too. Omg.

I was going to review that chapter you've got with no reviews from March, but I was supes confused because I hadn't read from the beginning, and now that I've gone back to the beginning, I'm really glad. I'm not big on sci fi - even Douglas Adams is like "man, I wish I could just read these silly comparisons without all the actual sci fi" - but this is really funny and easy to read and I'm enjoying it a lot. I love how Ellipse's main swears are "hecking" and "heckity" and other variations on "heck."

The only thing I was going to note was her weird lack of contractions, but considering this accent she's got and the fact that I'm guessing English isn't her first language, maybe she just wouldn't use them.

Also, I love the gatos and just this idea that even though they don't wear clothes, they love backpacks and human luggage. That's awesome.

You world-building is phenomenal. I really like the fact that not all the aliens are humanoid and that English isn't the magical language to unite all lands like it usually is.

I'll be back on my lunch to read more!
Blue

Featherstone wrote a review...

Hi! Fea here to review!

This piece is funny, relatable, and completely sci-fi, all in one! Nice job! No grammatical or spelling or punctuation errors as far as I could see, so that is a treat.

I like the first paragraph- it's very hooking and reels one in (sry, this is a bad pun. Bad puns are my forte, just like piano. Darn, I did it again! :wink:). However, I feel like the first sentence is a bit of a run-on:

"She bumped into her soon-to-be hero in the ladies’ room, which was a little weird, because this hero turned out to be a siren, and sirens didn’t need to pee and most definitely were not made for earthling toilets."

It's a bit hard to break up, but I'd put a '-' either here:

"She bumped into her soon-to-be hero in the ladies’ room[-] which was a little weird, because this hero turned out to be a siren, and sirens didn’t need to pee and most definitely were not made for earthling toilets."

Or here:

"She bumped into her soon-to-be hero in the ladies’ room, which was a little weird, because this hero turned out to be a siren- and sirens didn’t need to pee and most definitely were not made for earthling toilets."

Or maybe both. Your choice. Or don't take my advice. That may be a good idea. Just saying.

Now, this is where it gets relatable. Yes, it's a siren, but don't we all run into situations where you a) are weirded out, b) not sure what to do, and c) now all the sudden it's really gross. Also, I can see where sirens going to the bathroom in a terrestrial bathroom might be a problem. Lol.

Your description of the airport is great: descriptive but not too lengthy. Short but sweet.

The encounter takes an unexpected turn with the man in the wheelchair. I certainly didn't expect her, a custodian who had to clean up siren puke, to be wanted.

Overall, nice job: story, plot, and structure!

Good writing,

Feather

voiceofdragons wrote a review...

Howdy! Voiceofdragons here saddling up for a review as I read type of dealio!

The first paragraph? Absolute gold. I also live for stories about magical creatures (not that you could tell by the username) but especially mermaids and sirens! Stories about them are severely lacking, in my most humble opinion!!

A siren using a bathroom. Hm, that's kinda tricky, something is fishy, that's risky.

Okay this is spot on. I also usually try to ignore other people bumbling around me in public bathrooms in fear of coming off as too awkward or insulting haha.

YOU'RE MIXING SPACE AND SIRENS? I'M LIVING.
Oo, and now we get a name for the main character.

Hm I wonder why they're singing.
Oh it's!! Like tones and linguistics! That's so interesting!!

Ah yes math. This is great.

I really like how you are setting your world so far. And your other aliens.

From "and then, because the universe made the sharing of..." up until "the boy in the wheel chair managed not to all" you had me laughing so kudos to that, ese.

I like the description of wheel chair kid's voice!

"What an asteroid." Hello, this is great.

Oh she's a custodian! This is gold.

How you gonna kick over a boy in a wheel chair, she wrong for that. (I'm laughing though, fam, we both wrong.)

So far I'm into this! Keep up the good work!!

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:22 am
queenofscience wrote a review...

Hi. Wow! This was so cool/interesting/'weird' ( in a good way.) Your characters are interesting. I love the different speices. Your stories tone is very humorous, and the weirdness adds to it. It makes me think of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, or Starbridge (because of the neat ailens. BTW Strabridge is soo good ) or Magonia ( a awesome fanasty book. It's kinda 'weird' but in a good way.) The situation in the bathroom was so funny. I love your word. So cool. Keep it up. I would like to read more.

Ventomology says...

Thanks so much! I'm glad to know people actually think this is funny.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:34 am
Elijah wrote a review...

Hello there!

I am getting back to reviewing wonderful stories who are a bit longer just like my liking, I do not like amazing things to end fast. I hope your story is one of those and we can continue this journey together, I would love to see more.

Your beginning fascinated me. I did not expect it to start in such a comic way, not in the bad matter. I think it is for the best if we just cut the work in parts and discuss each one on its own.

She bumped into her soon-to-be-hero in the ladies’ room, which was a little weird, because this hero turned out to be a siren, and sirens didn’t need to pee and most definitely were not made for earthling toilets. After all, they were practically mermaids; they did their business the way most fish did business.

As I said, I love your start. At least for me it is unpredictable and interesting even if still not fully understood. You tell us right from the beginning what is really going to happen actually, that she is meeting the hero of her dreams. The hero idea is fast blown away by the humorous comments about the sirens. I think it adds a bit of funny factor to the start which I love.

In the first sentence you have the phrase 'soon-to-be-hero'. Some people would not even think of a different way to write that but just spaced out but you have seen it through. The only problem is that it needs to be 'soon-to-be' and 'hero' is all alone word that needs to be one space away.

I know the siren can be taken as the creature it is and be called 'it' or 'the thing'. But in your situation I think it is better to give it the female persona. Anyways, we already know it is a female, you telling us it is happening in the ladies' restroom. Calling her she kind of makes it more ease. Though I can understand if you would not want to do that as the narrative is female as well. The 'it' just makes me see the siren as a sea beast who knows why. And I want to see her as a lady like all of them.

“Deep space,” Ellipse groaned. “Please tell me sirens don’t puke up rocks. I just unplugged the toilet in the first stall.” She pulled her hands from the sink and flicked away the excess water, and then, as she reached for the hand dryer, she opened her mouth and sang a series of tentative notes. Hopefully her accent was not too awful.

I really have nothing else but good to say about this paragraph. The main narrative is serious but still the way she talks makes me laugh even if she seems mad about the situation she is getting into. She also seems like the responsible type, she unplugged the toilet? Maybe it's her duty? Who else would do it if they had the choice.

. One: sirens puked the same way people did, which was smelly and no less disgusting than rocks, but at least meant there would be no clogged toilets or busted sewage pipes. When the acrid stench of acid and seawater and frying oil smacked her nose, Ellipse simply brought up her free hand, pinched her nostrils, and took a deep breath through her mouth.

I think it would look splending if you make those parts with the numbering more catchy to the eyes. Maybe a different font or size of it or just leaving them looking like notes in a notebook and seperate them from each other and/or the rest of the story. You do not start with capitals so it seems more like a note or something more not formal. The topics in the story are still making me laugh in a good way, we are talking about puking still? I do not know, maybe some will not find it that fun like me.

It is still great that you are giving us information even if the topic is a bit silly and unrealistic because the sirens' parts. You give us a bit of what we can expect.

She sang another question at the alien, and it answered back with a moan that sounded like a broken bassoon. That seemed like the siren equivalent of “euagh,” which Ellipse totally got.

I was actually confused at the beginning. I saw you wrote "alien" before I open the story but it started with a siren so I expected that I was wrong about this one and I misread something orgot the wrong story maybe. But now I see this alien is actually our siren I guess? It is an interesting way to call the sea creature but I guess it is not that bad though an alien is something a bit more different but we all know what it is right?

I see the siren as a sea creature coming from the depth of the oceans, living into the waters and coming out to hunt down men. Aliens for me are creatures, mysterious being, who come from another planet, usually pictured green or whatsnot while trying to be friends with humans or kill them and take their planet. So I really can not tell why you use those two to talk about one being. Maybe there is another reason for that.

She would make broken bassoon noises too, if her voice had been pitched low enough.

You do not really need the comma before 'if'. I know that it may seem right when you first look at it. It simply changes if you change the placement of the dependent sentence there.

He could go to the date with her if she was kind enough to call on time.
If she was kind enough to call on time, he could go to the date with her.

Obviously, she did not sing the actual English words.

words of English
but
english words

Ellipse had not been to school for a while, but she was more than certain that conics were a subject of mathematical study, and not some kind of inspiring ship name.

I think 'conics' sounds be 'Conics'. It sounds like something more specified and it really is as we understand further in the story. Each other time, you start it with a capital. It is like a name.

A terrifying hybrid of airport, industrial dock, and actual zoo, it smelled faintly of methane, sweet, cold oxygen, and citrus air freshener.

A lots of commas and it is kind of messed up. I think it is good to seperate the sentences. After 'actual zoo' it seems right to give it a stop. Fullstop or semicolon.

'Sweet' can not be let together in between the commas like that. I hope it is for the oxygen? So it makes some sense for me. I think it may not be for the oxygen, it can not be sweet right? Then what is this 'sweet' for? No need of a comma before 'and citrus'. This is the 'and' for.

Its floors and airspace were cluttered with feet and long, scaly necks, and swooping sky-born aliens.

Sky-born aliens? It is getting fun! But still the same manner with the comma before 'and'.

You do not need the comma after the end of speech.

Same thing for the 'if' problem from earlier. But this time upside down, you need the comma.

Well, if that was not a very long review to make? The ending was a of course the cliffhanger. Even if you explain about many of the people in this environment, I can not tell are they on a different planet, what age is it and what is going on..which I hope to understand next time?

Anyways, nice write and have a good day!

Ventomology says...

Hey! Thanks a ton for giving this piece a shot! It's part of a contest known as the LMS (for Last Man Standing), so I have no doubt you'll be seeing more of this story. It should get a chapter every week.

Anyways, thanks for the tips on the "if" clauses. I didn't even know there were rules for that. For the commas in lists, however, I actually use something called the Oxford comma. There is much debate about it, but using a comma before the "and" in a list is perfectly acceptable.

You'll learn more about the siren later, but I did use 'it' on purpose. I suppose I might switch to the gender-neutral term people use for each other (they/them), but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks again! Hopefully I'll hear from you again next week.
-Ventomology

Elijah says...

Sorry for the maybe too long review and thanks for the reply!

Make your dreams come true. Don't wish for them, work for them.
— Lilly Singh