Language

Orin Nueron, An Introduction

by TimmyJake

Authors note: This is my version of a character study. Let me know what you think!

Orin Nueron wasn’t sure where he actually was. As far as he could tell, he was in a chair. Soiled by long usage, splintered legs and stickers were only a few of the many tortures somebody had forced the chair to endure. He wasn’t going to point fingers at anybody, but he knew there was at least one person who could have created the mess.

Just so happened that the one person was himself.

He shrugged his shoulders and looked at the disaster. Yes, this did look like his house. Overturned tables and chairs, upside down and broken apart. Dirt covered the entire floor like a sooty carpet. Orin tried not to breathe the dust. There were wine and whisky bottles decorating the house in piles. He liked to call them the beginning of his meager collection. The truth stood differently. He was too lazy to deal with them.

Yes, everything was just the way it was supposed to be. Perfect.

At present, he was confused. Memories circulated in his mind of things that had happened the night before, but what was so important? What small detail was he forgetting that would wreck his day if he remembered it later?

Oh—yes. His wine bottle cradled in the nook of his hand was still half-way full. Can’t forget that.

He abandoned his sweet rocking and grasped the neck of the bottle with one solid hand. Rather than drinking the liquor, he inhaled it. The wine dribbled down his white-beard and across his throat, staining his button-up shirt, which was already mottled with different colored stains. One more was barely noticeable in the blend of shades.

After the bottle was empty—which didn’t take very long—he decided to get dressed for the day. He knew that his pajamas were a little dirty from the arduous task of sleeping, so he figured a change of apparel would sharpen things up and prepare him for another busy day.

He slowly pushed himself up, trying to keep steady. The ground started to sway back and forth. Even his wine bottle moved. Orin put out a hand to steady his liquor. There was no way he wanted that precious artifact dropping to the floor—empty or full.

The wine bottle continued to shake in his hand.

Orin decided the floor wasn’t swaying. The entire world shook from an earthquake or something similar. It was the only explanation he could think of. Pacified by that thought, he reluctantly released the bottle from his iron grasp. He needed two hands to walk down through the dining room to his bedroom. The house moved around too much. The dizziness was about to overcome him.

Everything stopped spinning when he came to his door, fumbling for the doorknob. After many unsuccessful attempts, he looked closer and realized that there wasn’t one—merely a hole.

He pushed on the door and it swung open to let himself in.

Through the relentless piles of clothes and wine bottles, he pushed himself, determined to reach the dresser and find a pair of clean clothes.

Orin began to open the top dresser drawer and stopped halfway. Something wasn’t right. He could tell. The entire atmosphere seemed too surreal to be true. Too calm and dreamlike, without any racket to disturb him or anyone else.

Something was definitely wrong.

“Stupid bird!” He yelled as loud as he could so his voice would carry through the room to the one beyond.

“That’s it! You’re dead!” A reply echoed through the empty rooms, drifting back to him. A familiar squawk and an ear-piercing scream followed.

No, everything was fine. And he still wanted to kill that damn parrot.

His hands started to wrap around the worn knobs on the beaten dresser when he noticed something peculiar. He experimentally wiped a finger on the dresser lid, avoiding the peeling paint.

“Somebody has been slacking in his duties around the house,” he said. “Stupid bird doesn’t do anything to help out. Needs to earn its keep.”

He mumbled for a while longer, but his attention was distracted by a pile of clothing towering above his bed—shirts and pants falling off the filthy sheets only to begin another heap on the crusty floor.

Someone has been in here messing with my stuff.” He leaned over and lifted a shirt up with one careful finger, trying to keep the soiled shirt as far away as possible. “It smells, too! Whoever left this pile should do their laundry more often. This is outrageous behavior.”

Orin dropped the shirt and wiped his hands off meticulously, making sure they were perfectly clean. No residue from the dirty shirt was to remain on his fingers. Contaminating them wasn’t an option.

He lifted his shirt and scratched his belly with a contented sigh. “I think I will pick out something special. Something that goes with my hair, maybe.” Orin giggled, but wasn’t sure why. Had he just said something funny?

His drawer held no surprises for him. There were only two items in it—a wrinkled t-shirt and a ripped pair of jeans. Lifting them up, Orin could tell that they hadn’t been cleaned, but merely folded and placed back in the drawer for some reason.

So much for picking out something special.

He changed quickly, eagerly anticipating the day. Yes, there was much to do. Well, at least much to drink.

As Orin passed by the mirror, he stopped for a second to catch his reflection. “Not too shabby,” he said. He scratched his scraggly beard and brushed back his mop of black hair—gangster style.

After belching a few times into his shirt, he grinned at his reflection. “I have to admit, I look really awesome. Look out, girls! Here I come.”

Orin wore a shirt that said, I Define Coolness, but the text was so stained by years of abuse they were barely readable. His pants weren’t nearly as bad to his eyes, but they were inside out. But he didn’t want to fix them because they looked better that way—or at least he thought that.

He picked up his clothes he had just changed out of, holding them at arm’s length. The clothes were thrown onto the pile that someone had started beside his bed.

“After all, my other clothes are down there. Might as well make that the dirty clothes pile,” he muttered, shaking his head.

Someone—he wasn’t sure who yetneeded a talking to in order to straighten things up. It was necessary for the peace and order of the household.

Evander wrote a review...

Raven here!

I must say, I like the story you have here!

He's a very, odd man, I suppose. Blaming everything on someone. From what I have, Orin is the "someone", correct? However, I don't like to point fingers, so...

I love the description you have, the scene was very alive before my eyes. He seems like a very unlikable man, always drinking, trying to get it on with the ladies, telling a bird to shut up... On another note, I found the parrot very amusing. He must be really crazy to want the bird to "earn its keep". Rants: You have a bird as company! Isn't that good enough!?

Just one nitpick.

And he still wanted to kill that damn parrot.

From what I have read, in the English/grammar rule book. You're not allowed to start sentences of with words like and, and but. Just something I would like to point out.

Also, trying to get it on with the girls? What type of girls? Old, young, middle age? Maybe have him describe what they look like, and how they "fawn" over him. That would amusing.

but the text was so stained by years of abuse they were barely readable

Not a real grammar nitpick, just I little personal opinion. I think the word it would fit better than "they". However, I am not completely sure, so feel free to disregard my opinion.

I loved this story and hope to see more. Also, I am sorry my review was so short, I jjust couldn't find much to nitpick on.

Keep on typing,

Raven,

timmyjake says...

Thank you for your wonderful review, Raven! hee-hee The sentence start off? Yeah, I do that occasionally. Someone once told me that you can break English rules as long as you know that you are. :P
But I think I should change that.

Evander says...

Yes, once you know the grammar rules, I guess you can break them. However, you might want to make an authors note explaining that 'This is rule I'm breaking'.

timmyjake says...

Hmmm... good point.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:06 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Heya Timmy!

This is going to be a short review, because I read this before and basically gave you all my feedback already. I just have three little nitpicks here for you... and that's it xD I have to say, this is an extremely well written chapter. I think you managed to bring across his drunkness well, what with him giggling and talking to himself and all. Also, the fact that he acts like someone else is causing all the mess and damage to his house as well is pretty funny. I liked this as a character beginning a lot ^.^ I think we get to learn a lot about him really quickly.

At one point he says he doesn't want the liquor in the bottle to go anywhere, because it's so precious. But then he discards it pretty quickly after that because the whole world starts spinning, and he uses sense, dropping it. I think maybe you should have him hold onto it and fall with the bottle, having it all spill out. Then he isn't holding it anymore, which means you can get on with the story, and we can also see his despair at losing the alcohol. It seems more like something Orin would do. Doing that would also contribute to showing how far his addiction goes.

I think this would work best as a whole sentence, seeing as it is isolated to be a one-liner paragraph. So have an 'it' at the beginning of the sentence there.

Yes, this did look like his house.

Hm, this seems kind of obvious and a bit strange to have in there? At least, I thought so >.> Maybe instead of making it seem like Orin was questioning himself and then confirming it, change it up to sound like he's sure of it? I mean, he has already had a pretty long time of looking around, so I am sure he knows it is his. How about: Underneath all the mess, Orin knew this was actually his house.

Using in makes it seem like he is entering the house. Which can't be possible. Either say 'in the room' or maybe use 'through' instead.

Other than those few things, there really is nothing more to say. My favourite chapter yet ^.^

Deanie x

timmyjake says...

Thank you for this wonderful review, Livvy.
Oh, Oh! I have started writing again! :D

Deanie says...

Yaaay! Go for it ;)

Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:00 am
Renard wrote a review...

Hello. :)

This is definitely a character study, because it is very description orientated.

I dislike your introduction:

Orin Nueron wasn’t sure where he actually was. As far as he could tell, he was in a chair. Soiled by long usage, splintered legs and stickers were only a few of the many tortures somebody had forced the chair to endure.
Personally I think it's too long and you're giving too much away about your character too quickly.

We know his name, his gender, his location, his mental state... etc etc. Basically the whole "story" is explained in the first couple of lines and I feel the exposition could be handled better. Withhold some of the details. Make the reader guess, make them wonder whether the fate of the protagonist is in doubt, because that is what makes readers keep reading.

I did continue reading this work anyway to see where it would develop to:

As it goes on, I feel like you fall off the other end of the extreme and don't give enough detail. Spread out the events at the beginning through the whole of the introduction and the pacing will improve and appear a lot more balanced.

Keep writing. :)

timmyjake says...

Thanks for the review! Very helpful. Will work on those parts you mentioned

GoldFlame wrote a review...

Hey, Timmy! More Legend stuff! :D

Tried reducing its diet, but it didn't slim down. Active voice. I mean, you don't want passive voice, auxiliary verbs, traces of past participle tense, but at the same time, you want variation. Throw in a dependent clause, maybe. An introductory phrase. Fragments are great, too, but they're not bulletproof when redundancy marches along.

In other words, toy with where you're positioning the subject: "He assessed the disaster before him. Not too terrible. Well, at least, he wasn't cleaning it up. Overturned tables and chairs, upside-down, broken apart, dirt and wine bottles carpeting the floor."

I also hyphenated "upside-down" and removed several prepositions. Prepositions are like adverbs in the respect that they don't do much while giving the illusion that they do. And ... transitioning? It's best tying thoughts into one bundle. For instance, mentioning the wine and whiskey bottles. The narrator discusses him trying not to inhale the dirt, which then becomes dust, and suddenly he spots all these bottles among the overturned furniture like they were invisible before. Then calls them a collection in growth, then calls that a lie, then says he's just too lazy to pick them up, but if he's too lazy, they're still a collection, so there's no point. It was clever isolating that bit so you could insert description and expound on it, but when there's no transitioning, the image's weak.

Gosh, I sounded harsh. I loved the paragraph, I really did.

One more thing: the disaster bit. It wasn't referred to before, but the narrator treated it like it was. I tried fixing that, but I don't know if it sounded awkward, so leave it or keep it.

While his voice really shines through here, the paragraph doesn't serve a purpose. It's just reiterating what the previous para implied. There's also redundancy: another "yes."

Memories circulated in his mind of things that had happened the night before, but what was so important?

"In his mind" is unnecessary because it's inferred; memories don't exist outside the mind, unless you wanted to elaborate, using description. The words "things," "that had," "happened," and "was" also feel a little weak. I'd recommend slipping the contractions up a notch, maybe replacing "happened" for "occurred," "things" with something more specific, description maybe, as aforementioned.

What small detail was he forgetting that would wreck his day if he remembered it later?

This feels a little forced, like humor trying to squeeze through a serious tone. I'd recommend editing the words "small," "was," "that would," and "if." Or even breaking things down: "What detail was he forgetting? The one that would wreck his day if he continued forgetting?" That way it's a little subtler, and a little clearer, excluding the phrase "if he remembered it later."

half-way

"Halfway" is a compound word.

Can’t forget that.

I really loved this fragment. It just contributed an unbelievable amount to Orin's character development. Quick grammar thing: past tense—should be "couldn't."

Rather than drinking the liquor, he inhaled it.

Orin's fleshing out really well, and solely through voice, body language, and setting. That's a feat some professionals can't achieve. :D

That italicized word is a bit much, though. "Inhaled" you know's common with describing how someone's ingurgitating something, and italicizing it ... meh. There's a feeling you based this guy off Prince John, or Prince John off him, because they read exactly the same. It's ... I don't know, stale. The typical snide guy who thinks in italics.

to

Going back to what I typed about prepositions. I caught loads of "to" in here. I'm cool with that, but it sounds much cleaner like "continued shaking" than "continued to shake," even if presenting a non-finite verb.

Pacified by that thought, he reluctantly released the bottle from his iron grasp.

This isn't a problem that keeps cropping up throughout the piece, but I thought I'd mention it because it sticks out a bit when it does. Try clipping every unnecessary detail. "Iron grasp"—just an extra adjective and noun. Same with "reluctantly." If he released it slowly, we'd get that it was done reluctantly. The reason I'm saying this is because "reluctantly" clashes with "pacified."

He leaned over and lifted a shirt up with one careful finger, trying to keep the soiled shirt as far away as possible.

The second half's just amazing. I laughed so hard. This Orin guy—wow. Kinda Haymitch-y. And the description's perfect and the details balanced and everything's just ... perfect.

Quick fluency-related thing: used "shirt" twice here, establishing redundancy.

Yup, perfect. I didn't catch any mistakes after that. And on an unrelated note, I'm so ecstatic about the uses of — . It looks really professional now. And the commas after "too"! Gah, thank you.

When I first began reading, things were looking shaky, but then it all cleared up as the story progressed. Orin's a strong character—maybe stereotypical drunk guy, but I like him. And fantastic narrative voice, as usual. I don't need to discuss dialogue or fluency or any of that stuff because with you, they're becoming elementary tools, the way you handle them.

Keep me notified! :D

timmyjake says...

Ohhhh.... An amazing review! I love them allllll... This was beautiful.
I will work on the first half and polish it till the work shines! As for the Haymitchy bit, he isn't quite like himm... and he isn't the stereotypical drunk guy, but he does seem like that. His character will develop throughout this book, and he will do things that will make you wanna kill him
Juss saying. :P
Thanks again!

GoldFlame says...

No problem!

Whoa, I did make a lot of unnecessary assumptions. Sorry about that. It's a character sketch, and he's already interesting; that's a huge feat in itself.

Awesome work. I can't wait for more to be posted! :D

MargoSeuss wrote a review...

Margo here for some reviewing!

I loved the way Orin is described in this sketch. For the purpose of defining a character, you did a fine job. I got both a mental and physical picture of what Orin is like; white trash! You also gave me a great picture of his house. The bird was also a nice touch.

I'm not sure if it is because this is just a character sketch, but I didn't feel like your plot really went anywhere. You began with Orin in his house, waking up after having drank himself to the point of blacking out. Of course, he couldn't remember trashing his own house as he had been extremely intoxicated. This was a great beginning. But I felt like it never went away from that. You mentioned that Orin was preparing for a big day (of drinking) maybe instead of ending that idea as a potential new direction of the plot, you should expand upon it and say something like he has to go to court for something he doesn't remember doing. That is a suggestion that you don't have to use by the way. There were no technical errors that stuck out to me. This, my friend is a very good thing indeed! I really liked this parrot character and think he play a role somehow in this story. Maybe Orin did something illegal one day in his house and the bird is the only one who knows for sure that he did it! That would be interesting.

I'm guessing this piece was experimental, and that you were not focusing too much on the stuff I've mentioned above. I think in terms of character development, you have done a fantastic job. Now, perhaps give the plot a bit of revamping. I see great potential in this piece! Wonderful work! Remember: a good work is never finished! :)

timmyjake says...

Thank you for your review! This isn't a main character, really. Well, he is a big character, but this scene is the one right before he meets the main characters. So this is an introduction.
Thank you fro this amazing review! And you're right. the scene doesn't seem to go anywhere. :/

Once you have people's attention, you have a greater responsibility to tell them something of value.
— Tobias Forge (Ghost B.C.)