Sonnet: What is there to Say?

by Eferhilda

What is there to say, about you my love?
A smile that warms my soul
A presence that makes my heart flutter like a dove
That makes me feel whole
I die without my love to sustain me
Contending with those wanting the attention
I await my turn on bended knee
Glaring with hate at their intentions
But ever still does my love return
Affections kind, gentle and warm
Filling me with desire and feelings of yearn
My heart a blaze and burning as a fierce storm
             For there is not much to say about my love, you see
             For there are no words to describe what my love truly means to me

Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:57 am
RoyalHighness wrote a review...

RoyalHighness has arrived to review!
First of all, welcome to YWS and congrats on making the literary spotlight on your first full day! Wow!

Great usage of enjambment other than the first line. It's hard to keep enjambment consistent, but you did it– and all while writing a sonnet, too!
I'm really impressed with the quality of this sonnet you've got here. It's seriously just well-written from start to finish. Let me see if I can be specific about what I like.
I'm not always a fan of cheesy similes, but you made "flutter like a dove," sound completely normal.
You did a fabulous job with the rhyme scheme. I mean, "attention," and "intention"? That's some serious rhyme talent right there. Lord knows I couldn't do it.
The couplet at the end was really good, but not a dazzling finish. I don't think you particularly need a dazzling finish anyway, since the tone of your poem is pretty mellow, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Overall, I don't know what else I can say! It's just a great poem! I give it eight stars out of ten because it was just that good. Keep writing!

GDrama97 wrote a review...

I liked this poem. This is very well written and I thought that you had a good grasp on the poem writing. You should be careful with your punctuation, spelling and grammar everyone makes mistakes with that even I do it so you are not the only one do not want about that. You created very good imagery which allowed me to picture what was going on that is a sign that your writing wasn't too bad. Nice job. If you fix up the things that myself and others have said then your story will not be good but it will be great. Keep up the good work i cannot wait for what is in store next time.

WritingNinja wrote a review...

I thought you had a lot of great content and feeling in this poem! A sonnet, however, is typically written in four stanzas of four lines (quatrain), and one stanza of two lines (couplet). You have the rhyming scheme down, as well as the format. But for each line, in a sonnet, the lines are typically written in iambic pentameter, which basically means each line has ten syllables. I love your poem, and if you want to make it a sonnet, edit it this way and it will be even better! Keep up the great work!

Morrigan wrote a review...

Hi there! Welcome to YWS!

The truth is, if you want this to be a sonnet, there's going to be quite a bit of rewriting going on. Iambic pentameter is one of the staples of the sonnet, and you don't use it in this poem.

Iambic pentameter is the alternating of stressed and unstressed syllables, in a line with five stressed syllables. That means that you have to have five unstressed syllables, which in turn means that there should be ten syllables in a line, alternating between stressed and unstressed syllables.

A stressed syllable is the one with the most emphasis. For example, my username, magpie, carries the stress in the first syllable. You say MAG-pie, not mag-PIE. It would sound weird! And the pie is the unstressed syllable.

Looking through your poem, you only have one line that has ten syllables in it at all. And that is the first one. Let's start there. First, I'll identify the stresses, then we'll look at how to rework it so it fits into iambic pentameter. The bolded words are stresses.

An iamb starts with an unstressed syllable, so you have a good beginning. However, after there, the meter falls apart. With a bit of rearranging, though, we can get it to the right place. Here's what I came up with: "My love, abbout you, what is there to say?" The syntax feels a little dated, but it's difficult to write in iambic pentameter without it sounding a bit that way. As for the rest of the poem, it's up to you to figure out how to fit it into iambic pentameter.

You can't have feelings of yearn because yearn is a verb. Yearning is the word you're looking for here, though it would mess up the end rhyme.

Make sure that your poem doesn't jump around. It was a little jarring at times because you need transitions between the parts of the poem. First you talk about how your love is lovely, and then you suddenly talk about dying because if your love doesn't love you. Transition a little more.

I'd like to see more metaphor and imagery incorporated into the poem. As it is, it's very abstract. Give us some images to anchor the readers and help them relate.

I hope this review proves useful to you! Happy writing!

ThePatchworkPilgrims wrote a review...

Greetings Eferhilda!
Firstly I would like to welcome you to YWS! May you enjoy every moment on this website!
Anyway, I should stop ranting! Back to the sonnet!
I like the way you utilized the Shakespearean Sonnet so effectively. You created an amazing imagery for which I applaud you!
Your vocabulary and Grammar are satisfactory, and I cannot comment on either without going into a rant phase (I do that quite often)
There is just one spot where you did not entirely stick to the rhyme scheme."Attention//Intentions" I know the two words rhyme when they are either both in singular or both in plural, but when one's in singular and the other in plural, they don't rhyme.
But that something minor.
This was an brilliant sonnet and I am therefore rating it 8.0 out of ten. Remarkable!
Sincerely,
The Wandering Wizard

Eferhilda says...

Thank you for the review. I did follow a "How to" guide when I wrote this to get the format and such right. I see what you mean by attention//intentions. I could probably drop the "s" and it would still flow well.

Lovely piece but I'm not sure about your iambic pentameter, better get someo wiser than I in. I only do iambic pentameter by ear so I can't review it great

Asteria wrote a review...

There is so much I could say about this sonnet, but I'll put it simply: I love the imagery and feeling behind this piece. I can feel what you feel for your love in this piece. I can feel it as though it were my own emotion and as though I desired this person with the same depth you portrayed.

I can feel the relief of your love returning, the way it flows through your veins as the affections are, once more, returned in the physical sense; Not that they weren't felt in your absence from each other, but that the physical connection, the ability to see it first hand without something else in the middle of you two playing messenger...is special.

I can feel the glaring, the anger, toward others who seek the attention of your love. The way you wait there patiently while the others seek to get between you...it was heart-wrenching in its simplicity.

Truly, this sonnet is beautifully written, and I look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

“Hope” is the thing with feathers - That perches in the soul - And sings the tune without the words - And never stops - at all -
— Emily Dickinson