No Winner Left

by thegirlwhowrites

No Winner Left

In that moment, the clouds went still,
the birds stopped flying,

flowers stopped growing.

The gun, motionless in his hands.

A man, like him, before his eyes
Emotionless gaze,
A body so numb,
That there were no feelings to show.

Both sweaty hands, weapons held close.
Now all that running,
And all that training,
Forgotten like lost promises

Nothing could compare to the weight,
The weight of that gun.
In their hands, their lives,
Their last thoughts: all their cries and laughs

"A monster they've made out of me,"
Both thought, struck with fear,
"A piece in their games.
They've taught me to win, and I shall."

The men's fingers moved together,
The trigger so close.
They look, one last time
At the victory in both eyes.

The game, now with two less pieces
They've defeated them,
The real opponents.

Their game over. No winner left.

Note: I have used a Hunger Games reference by Suzanne Collins in this poem. Honestly, I was very much inspired by the trilogy, the whole concept of being forced into war and then rebelling against the greater authority.I pictured a chess game. The men are the pieces in the game, and 'they' are the ones pushing these soldiers to fight.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:29 pm
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...

Have you seen The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly? This slightly reminds me of the final scene, a trio of cowboys, all faced with the fact if they shoot one the other will shot them. This comparison is in writing style only you understand. Also the hunger games insperation is noticeable. Try to describe the background a little, to give me a small amount of context.
Hope this helps,
Take That You Fiend!

No, I've never seen it... but sounds a lot like what I was aiming for with the poem!

Your welcome! :-)

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:27 am
ocw2021 wrote a review...

This was fantastic! I really enjoyed the mood you've set with this, and yes, it does remind me quite a lot of the Hunger games. I can imagine two tributes standing face to face, and the battle ending this way. I also really enjoy story poems, which I don't usually come across. I'm glad that someone decided to take on something so dark, and turn it into a wonderful story, and then decorate it with nice, poetic phrasing. Also, the ending tied everything together so nicely. Keep writing and producing wonderful work such as this one, sweetheart!

-Olivia

Thank you so much!

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:48 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmyjake to leave you a short review!

I am terrible at writing poetry, honestly. But i will give you my two cents worth, anyway! :D

Some of the lines here just don't seem to flow. I will point them out, even though I can't really do much to help fix them. Here goes!

Both sweaty hands, weapons held close.
Now all that running,
And all that training,
Disappearing for those two men

That stanza didn't flow for me. I think it has something to do with the middle lines...

The only other thing I saw wrong with this was that there were guns in it, which didn't really seem right. This sounds like a hunger games fanfic poem, but there are guns in the games? I don't remember that! Correct me if I am wrong, though!
This was great! I loved how you wrote it, and what it was about. I love the Hunger games!!
~Timmyjake

Hi there :)
You're right with the flow of the poem... I hardly ever write poetry and I'm still practicing. :D I knew it didn't quite beat with a good rhythm... As to that stanza, I tried fixing it! Hope it's better now...
You are not wrong about the guns in the Hunger Games, there are none. I know it seems like a Hunger Games fanfic and I'm honestly unsure myself whether it is or not but I wrote more to answer your question in my reply to defyingravity :)
Thank you for your consideration and Merry Christmas!

timmyjake says...

Awesome now!! You are way better at writing poetry than I am!! I have to rhym it or it just fails horribly. I understand what you meant now! Merry Christmas, too!

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:37 pm
RachelLeeAnn wrote a review...

Rachel here with a review. :)

This a great piece. You created great imagery of two men just standing there, weapons drawn, both summoning the courage to do what they've been trained to do.

As for what defying gravity said about this piece here:

"A monster they've made out of me,"
Both thought, struck with fear,
"A piece in their games.
They've taught me to win, and I shall."

While, yes, 'a piece in their games' is a phrase made famous from the Hunger Games, it is okay to use it, I think. Suzanne Collins was not the first to refer to someone as being a piece in a game. That is a very old and commonly used phrase- it's not exclusive to THG.

This stanza here confused me a bit:
Nothing could compare to the weight,
The weight of that gun.
In their hands, their lives,
flashing like a film, their loves, cries.

"flashing like a film, their loves, cries." What cries? Are their loves crying? If that's the case, then it should be "their loves cry." If it's not that, I'm not really sure what "cries" is doing there.

Otherwise: Great job on this piece! I loved it. Very intense. Very powerful imagery. Bravo.

Keep writing; I'd love to see more!

-Rae

Thank you so much Rachel :) I'm a fan of your poetry and I'm being honest when I tell you that when I saw in my notifications that you had reviewed my work I was so nervous!!
Thanks about commenting on the THG reference. I'm happy to hear readers have different views on that. However, I added a note at the end of the poem just in case.
Yeah, I really shoud edit that last line... I knew it made no sense. What I meant to say was in those last few moments of their lives the weight of the gun becomes so big it transforms into the weight of their lives. It creates images in their minds, 'flashing like a flim' all their loves and all their cries... But I really need to rephrase that.

RachelLeeAnn says...

Wow, that means so much to me! Thank you!
And ah, I see! I think that's a great idea there: if you can somehow find a way to portray that, that Stanza could be beautiful!

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:22 pm
Gravity wrote a review...

Okay, so I do have a few nitpicks. Right here

"A monster they've made out of me,"
Both thought, struck with fear,
"A piece in their games.
They've taught me to win, and I shall."

A piece in their games? That's a hunger games reference. I really don't like it when writers use famous and well known lines from other great books. Sorry, it just distracted me. And if you absolutely have to incorporate it, answer me this: a piece in the games of whom? Who is "they"? It almost seems like you just made that reference... to include that monumental line. Which is fine, just explain it.

So the ending and the narrative was very straightforward, that, I loved. I absolutely loved this poem. However, I wish you would elaborate. Why do these two men shoot eachother? Is there a reason their hands are sweaty? Are they nervous about dying, or about the wrath of "they" on someone else? I just would've loved some background info about this situation. Also, there was something in this stanza that bugged me.

Nothing could compare to the weight,
The weight of that gun.
In their hands, their lives,

You didn't rhyme in the rest of the poem, so why did you rhyme here? To me it just kinda stuck out like a sore thumb. To be honest, I loved this stanza despite the rhyme. I loved how you described the weight of the gun, and how the men were so conscious about what they were going to do. So again, I loved this. I thought it was beautifully written, your rhythm was perfect and you described the narrative so well. bravo, and I hope to see more of your writing on YWS!:D

-Gravity

Hi,
I appreciate your criticism, thank you!
You're right, that is a hunger games reference and I think that now I should go back and maybe rephrase it. I was very much inspired by the hunger games with this poem and the whole concept of being forced into war and then rebelling against the greater authority. So, to answer your question. that is what I meant with "them": a greater force pushing the two men into battle.
You are absolutely right, I should at least give credit to Suzanne's work anyways if I don't change that line. Honestly, I almost tried to incorporate the poem around that whole idea. I pictured a chess game. The men are the pieces in that game, and 'they' are the ones pushing these soldiers to fight.
To answer your question as to why they shoot each other, it's like they can read each other's minds, and they are both surrending in this useless war. Hmm.. now that I think about it I probably should have made it more clear in my writing.
Well, about their sweaty hands I just tried to get into the mind o a soldier at war. I immediately can picture fear and nervousness. After all they are both walking into death and I don't think they believe they're ready for it until the very end.
As John Green once said, "Books belong to their readers" so I do think it is a great suggestion to elaborate on the back story; although at the same time this poem now belongs to you and you can explore in your own imagination the 'backround info'. Also, since it's a poem I don't know whether it would be a good idea because I wouldn't want to make it into a short story.
Sorry for having such a long reply, I can't stop writing!
Other than that, thanks for the ovely review!! Happy you liked my writing
About the 'weight of the gun' stanza, with the two words which rhyme do you mean 'lives' and 'cries'? It is true, it doesn't sound quite right and I'll try changing that last line.

No problem. And you took all my comments with grace. I know I can be harsh, I completely understand where you're coming from now. Thanks for being so awesome :)

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:15 pm

NOTE: PLEASE DON'T MIND THE WEIRD PARAGRAPGHING IN THE FIRST STANZA. FOR SOME WEIRD REASON IT WON'T LET ME TAKE OUT THAT SPACE :) THANK YOU.

GET YER EYES AWAY FROM MY EYE SOCKETS >.>
— herbalhour