Heartbeats: Chapter one

by umaima

Chapter 1: Things change

Jack Diamond’s sudden interest in a patient is making his fans suspicious. Has the great doctor found his love or is it just rumors?

Channel change.

Jack Diamond was seen in a bar yesterday and was completely drunk…

Channel change.

Jack Diamond caught crying in the hospital…

“What the hell is this? All channels are talking about you. Do you have any idea how much loss this can bring us in? When will you grow up, Jack? This is it! The bet is off, you are not treating this patient anymore. Do you get that?” Andrew shouts at his small brother, specially stressing on the word ‘not’. Well, he had all the rights to shout on him as Jack hadn't done the best of the things in these few days, this week to be more specific after the bet they had a week ago, to treat this ‘un-treatable’ patient according to Andrew, who had been in their hospital since years.

The bet was simple, if Jack would be able to treat the patient then Andrew will have to ask a girl he has been stalking and crushing on since the fourth grade out and if he loses then Andrew doesn't do it. Jack mainly did this for his brother and there was no way he would back down on this one. At first it was only that but when Jack saw the patient there became more reasons why Jack wanted to treat this patient, she was someone special.

Drew, that’s what Jack called him, was a twenty-seven year old man who was very stubborn(just like his younger brother) and had a businessman like nature. Well unlike his small brother, Drew had over thinking issues. The main reason why he couldn't ask that girl out yet. He had called Jack in the conference room this morning just to come and see the news, wow some nice thing to wake your brother so early for! Jack had thought after seeing the news. Bored by his talk Jack sat on the table fixing his white coat which he wore in a hurry above his blue jeans and black shirt.

Don’t blame him for such an appearance in the hospital, this guy woke him up at 5 in the morning after Jack had barely got any sleep because of the last operation. Drew stood angrily glaring at Jack like he was going to burn him down into ashes by just staring, which would have worked. But hey! He was the one I should be angry on, not vise versa. Jack thought to himself.

“Look. We both know that once I take a decision no one can change it, so why waste time, just get along with it and I can promise you for staying out of the spotlight until I try to fix her” Drew narrowed his eyes at the word ‘fix’ but Jack ignored him. He couldn't possibly think that Jack could use any more of a sensible word while he was still half asleep could he?

“I am not giving you an option here. You are not going to be treating her. Why do you ever care about her so much? She doesn't talk to anyone or look at anyone; damn she doesn’t even walk until it is utterly necessary”

“Exactly, why I want to treat her” Jack replied simply. Lie, a big one. There was more to it than drew could ever imagine. This got Drew angrier and he stomped the table making Jack jerk a little bit. If someone wanted to die soon by a heart attack, do visit the Diamond brothers, specially Drew. He is really good at shocking people, his best specialty. Like good with an extra ‘wow’ in it.

“Others can treat her too, you are not the only doctor here” he shouted at his younger brother. Like shouting would do any effect.

“Others have been treating her from 2 years Drew, 2 YEARS and did you see her condition? If she stay’s like this for one more month she might actually die. She has grown so weak because she rarely eats; she is living the life of a dead person Drew. Hell I don’t even know whether she is breathing or not sometimes and… Wasn't this the reason why you asked me to look into this case before?”

“Yes, but now, I want you to stop. No need to be involved into this, let the others handle it, there are many good doctors here.” Jack groaned and Drew became more furious as he continued speaking ignoring Jack in the best way he could “I don't get it. Why do you care about that bitch so much?” and that’s when Jack punched him. Drew had it coming and he knew that too.

“No one” he paused “No one can call her a bitch and listen up Drew, this hospital belongs to me as much as it belongs to you so I don't give a damn about what you say because one thing is set, I am going to and I will treat her even if I hole comes out of nowhere and sucks me in it.” And saying this he stomped out of the room closing the door with a thud. Okay maybe the last statement wasn't the best but trust me, Jack saying this was like a miracle. He barely gets angry but very unlike himself, when someone says anything about her then there is no edge to his anger. He goes on boiling mood or whatever you call that.

“Satine, that’s what her name is and nobody, expect for me, can ever say her anything like that. Nobody, except for me, can hurt her. Nobody, except for me, can turn her back into what she was and I know that very clearly.” Jack thought to himself, he had always been like this, since the first day they met till now. Possessive, stubborn and a complete idiot, okay maybe the last part is a little incorrect but anyways. Sorrow crossed over his face as he remembered how she was.

“Did you hear about the new transfer student?” I heard a girl say as I entered my high school. It was my first day to senior year and I was as dull as anyone could possibly be. Not really that popular in school but I had liked it that way. Trust me, in my school, you would want to be invisible instead of been popular because what happened with popular kids, you don’t even want to know. But yeah, enmity was always the key.

“Yes, she is so going to beat Jessie. I mean she is so amazing, I am totally voting for her as the prom queen” Yes, right. I rolled me eyes as I walked past them, do these girls have nothing else to do? In the end of the year the prom was healed and from the first day till the last, people spoke about it. Wait let me correct that, ‘girls’ spoke about it. I walked towards my locker and when I reached it, the bell rang. Late to the first class on the first day, that’s me.

As I opened it a girl came beside me and started staring at me. She wore a blue demon jacket on a white strapless shirt and a mini skirt which was torn from down. Her black hair gave her look and extra ‘wow’ and while I took my books out of the locker she caught the locker’s door.

“Hey, my name is Satine and you are?” she asked. There was a great glow is her violet eyes like she was waiting for something in particular to happen. I heard giggling voices as she spoke to me and I could see that she was making her best effort to control her laughter. That time I wondered why.

“Jack” I said closing the locker. And then it hit me, I tried to remove my hand of it but couldn’t, she was putting glue on my locker, how mature! Then she burst out laughing and a couple more girls and started to walk off shouting “Pranked!” and I just stood there bewildered. I thought and I laughed at what exactly happened. That day was the first time in my life I got detention for a thing I wasn’t to be blamed on. Yup, that day was the first time I met her.

She was a person like that and he was a person like this.

---------------------

Okay, yes I was writing the story love but than I wanted to write something different and not so common so I sat for 2 weeks thought, thought and thought and than this hit me. Like really, it really ‘HIT’ me XD So people, be free to comment like or review. Comments work too as I would like to know your opinion (it is very important) and then everyone is always welcome to correct my mistakes ;)

Link to CH 2: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=103125

rbt00 says...

Great! Keep Going!

umaima says...

Thankyou :D

manisha wrote a review...

Hi you!
manisha here to review!
I know I should have got to reviewing this as soon as you had decided to name it. Better now then later, I guess :)
Title- Love it!
To the story. Your start is strong and shows some of your good writing style. I like the introduction to the Diamond brothers. Jake seems like a capable doctor. You also through some green light over their relationship.

" wow some nice thing to wake your brother so early for! "
I think this sentence will flow better if put like this-
Wow!Some nice thing to wake your brother so early for!
or
wow,some nice thing to wake your brother so early for!

“Exactly, why I want to treat her”
I do not think there has to be a comma after exactly.

There was more to it than drew could ever imagine.
drew is Drew. Minor typo.

If she stay’s like this for one more month she might actually die.
stay's is stays.

“No one can call her a bitch and listen up Drew
Nothing wrong here. I just think it sounds more firm when you use the word 'will' in place of 'can'

I am going to and I will treat her even if I hole comes out of nowhere and sucks me in it.”
You mean 'even if a hole ..'

“Satine, that’s what her name is and nobody, expect for me, can ever say her anything like that.
You mean "call her anything like that"?

I like the recollection. It should us more about Jake and Satine. I like the plot already!
I'm going to go right now and read the next chapter!

I hope I helped!
<3

-manisha

firefighter says...

I love this . . .

Post Post Post the next chapter fast lol

OliveDreams wrote a review...

Hello :) Here to review your work for review day! I will review as I read or I will get confused. Here goes!

Where you write, "who had been in their hospital since years," - it should be - "Who had been in their hospital for years."

I like the relationship that you have created between the two Diamond brothers. It's serious yet endearing.

I'm getting a little confused with your style of writing. In parts, you can see that you are very talented with descriptions and relationships between characters and then in other sections - you make rushed grammatical errors which don't seem normal lol. I guess it's something you can just fix after you go through your own work with a fine tooth comb.

I love the way you went back in time to show the true nature of the girl. It's clever and well written.

Well done! & I look forward to reading more! I hope this helped.

Olive <3

ArcticMonkey wrote a review...

Hi umaima! Here to review your story :D

Well I just had to review this considering I sort of helped in naming this :P. Anyways, I could tell that there was a lot of emotion being shown through this piece- and that's something that's not found that often with prose, so good on you! (I totally get when an idea like HITS you, it's amazing, right?)

My main critique is that it's all just a bit confusing. I mean the scenes keep on switching and I find myself losing track of the character's. With these things you can't assume the reader know anything, because they don't. So I'd say to firstly give your characters proper introductions, although some people find it annoying to introduce a character with a description of what they look like, it helps us to remember them! And now onto the switching scenes and stuff, I firstly didn't really get where they were to begin with. But then reading it again I understood from it that they're at a hospital. So, why were they in a hospital? This could be explained a bit more too. And then it switches to the italic bit which left me even more confused, nevertheless, I guess the point I'm making here is to introduce new scenes and new characters properly.

Also, I didn't like the giant argument between Jack and Drew here. It sort of overtook the rest of the story, and meant that there were big blocks of dialogue with nothing in between. With these things instead you can say 'they argued some more' (Or something better written :P) rather than showing their whole fight. It's important to show *some* of their fight, but just not all of it.

“What the hell is this? All channels are talking about you. Do you have any idea how much loss this can bring us in? When will you grow up, Jack? This is it! The bet is off, you are not treating this patient anymore. Do you get that?”

This bit of dialogue didn't seem that natural, I mean there are no pauses between it and can you imagine someone saying that. It seems rather scripted. If you're having trouble with dialogue, try listening to other people around you talk.

He was the one I should be angry on

Angry with, not angry on. Minor error! xD

Something I want to mention here to showing and not telling. You've probably heard of this before, but if you haven't, or are still unsure of it, it basically means rather than telling that someone is something, show it. That may not make entire sense, in your story-
Drew had over thinking issues

Rather than just saying this, you could show it in his actions. Does he pace the room before he makes a decision on something?
Similarly here too
He barely gets angry but very unlike himself, when someone says anything about her then there is no edge to his anger. He goes on boiling mood or whatever you call that.

Here is an article about it if you're still feeling unsure.

Overall, this was certainly an emotive piece and a good read, I'm glad you posted this! Improvements would be to make sure that everything is clear that you're writing, and to include not just dialogue, but descriptions of stuff too. I hope this review helped, please feel free to PM me with any questions you have or if you'd like another review.

Just keep writing!
-Arc x

Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:50 pm
SidraKhan says...

:O
You wrote this?? :O X|
I NEED more!@

umaima says...

No sidra my ghost wrote it
I have improved after coming here and WOw excited

Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:24 am
KatyyMayy says...

Ooooo mmmm geee.

I really LOVE THIS.

Please update soon!

Xoxoxos,

Love Katy.

umaima says...

:D

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
— William James