The Words You Sing to me

by arianaSarroyo

These are the words that you speak into my heart so many times before.
You tell me I'm beautiful, loved and cherished forever. 

So long ago, I would never have believed a word you said
But those were the words that breathed life into me,
The songs that will never die.

Now I feel at a loss without you right by my side today
Yet I know you're still there because of how much you care
You'd never leave me.

So later on, let's follow the stars and find our way back to each other.
Hand in hand with one another into the heavens. 

babygiggles wrote a review...

Loved it! When i read it i sang it in my head and, well belieive it or not i could picture a famous singer singing that. Very emotional and grown up. Maybe a R 'n' B singer like Beyon'ce singing it with her soulful voice to such emotional lyrics.I rekon it would be a good power ballad . Only bad thing to say is wish it were longer , but other then that it's good. :)

Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:51 am
ChangeTheWorld wrote a review...

I'm trying to review all of them with less than three but the one with two I already reviewed :(
Anyway, here goes again. I'll try my hand at these lyrics then.

These are the words that you speak into my heart so many times before

Okay, this isn't grammatically correct. First off I don't think you need the "into" it sounds better as just "to". But to fix the grammar it should probably be "that you speak to my heart so often" or the other way would be "that you've spoken to my heart so many times before" for if you want to keep the rhyming scheme.

I think that the words "beautiful", "loved", and "cherished" are just okay descriptors. There are so many words that are a. more creative to put there and b. more specific to give the reader/listener insight into what this work means on a more personal level.

you right by my side today

So I feel like all these words are redundant. It will still have the same meaning if you cut them out.

Okay so I may have said this before but I don't understand the rhyming and then not rhyming. It should be consistent right? Again I think it should be longer. I like the idea about the stars and finding their way back though. You do mention how she didn't used to believe the words he said, develop that more. Turn that into something real instead of something briefly mentioned and passed over. Overall it isn't your best work, the idea is a bit overused. Nowadays its hard to find an idea that isn't, SO when you do reuse one you have to do it in a different way. I know you have the talent to do this differently, I just don't see the difference enough yet. Does that make sense.
Keep working though!
With love,
Change

Hannah wrote a review...

Hey there, ariana!
So. I know that lyrics are different from poems in that they're meant for more popular consumption and are heard rather than read over and over. Because of this, using simpler language can be more effective, because then we can understand it the first time we hear it and get the message right away. You played to this idea really well in your writing.

The problem, for me, is that for the first three stanzas, the writing felt empty because those words have been used in similar combinations so often in the history of writing. When you think really hard about it, what special meaning do the words "beautiful", "loved", or "cherished" have? Beauty is different for everyone, and so to be effective, it would have to be specifically described. Love, too, is different for everyone. We all love in different ways, so for it to be effective or vivid, it needs to be defined for this particular situation. Cherished, too. I think you get the idea.

Sorry to say, too, but the next two stanzas are worn out ideas as well. Many people wouldn't believe kind words until they come from someone they can trust in a new way, and the concept of missing someone you love, but trusting they will come back is nothing new. D:

THE GOOD NEWS is that your last stanza is vivid, intriguing, and can be expanded on!

Hand in hand with one another into the heavens.

Stars and heavens, I'll admit, have been referred to time and time again. But for the first time in your poem, we're getting an idea of their specific love. They're the kind of lovers that follow stars to find each other. They're the kind of lovers that walk up off the earth and into the sky with each other. You might not be able to physically apply this to any couples that you know, but it's a metaphor for the kind of love they actually share, and because of that it's great and effective.

If you end up editing this piece, I'd say rework it to focus around that kind of metaphor. If you have any questions or comments, or want to link me to the edited version later, feel absolutely free to PM me~
And above all, please keep writing. :)

ArcticMonkey wrote a review...

Hiya ariana, I shall be your reviewer on this fine review day! :D

I was going to start off by saying I agreed with you in saying it’s a bit sappy, and quite clichéd; but then I thought those feelings can be felt by anyone, so so what if I’ve heard something similar before? I actually thought it was really sweet, and nice to read!
I would however also like to talk about some things you could improve on. I personally am not really a fan of soppy stuff, and I thought this could have done with something slightly different. As in, you put your own spin on the topic. This could be to do with adding in personal associations, or metaphors etc so that it’s more original.

Secondly, I thought this could’ve also done with some more interesting words to build up the imagery on it. I think that would really bring up this piece. As it is quite short, I think the words should be more exciting.

Considering these are lyrics and not a poem, I think you need to think more about the rhythm and metre. Right now, this is something that’s an issue here because I can’t really imagine it with a melody due to the lack of rhythm in it. To watch out for this, you should try reading it aloud (maybe even thinking of a melody for it) so that you can see where and how the words would flow better.

Anyways, I hope this helped! PM me if you ever want another review.

Keep lyricing!
-Arc x

SkyeJane wrote a review...

Hi there Ariana,what a lovely song/poem you have here! You said it was sappy,but I feel like it rings so true that it doesn't come across that way at all.

You said it was a poem in the description but I found that there is such a great rhythm to it that it could easily be put into a song.

There isn't any problem in this poem at all. You managed to pull together something really solid and simple,still keeping it genuine and beautiful in an almost quiet way. There's only one thing that sort of bugged me and that was the first line "words that you speak many times before" seems off to me tense wise where I think that because you said "before", the word "speak" should be in the past tense (spoke). Or, if you really want it to be "speak",you can change that line to make it grammatically correct.

I also love the structure of this poem and how there are two lines in a stanza then two stanzas with three lines and then one with tow lines once again and also how these lines get gradually shorter. I don't know why but it just makes it seem so professional and clean.

You've really done a great job with this and even though it says it's a poem I think it would do just great as a song. Well done.
SkyeJane

attempting foot extraction
— Mea