Cut your Cake

by ConverseFireGirl

I'd write a long poem

about how self-harm

shouldn't be encouraged,

but I figured all I had to say

was just seven words.

Blades

are for cutting cake

not skin.

Okay?

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:59 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here for a quick review!!

So first I will just mention that you turned the most common idea ever written and changed it into your own amazing idea... Knives cutting skin... The most common idea ever, but not this poem! This is an amazing poem, just morphing the idea into the opposite of what most people do.

Nitpicks

was just seven words. ---Bolded word should be were

Faving time and style

So that was all I had for nitpicks! This was a wonderful poem!!

I love how you made this so... How do I say this? Unpoetic.. There we go. This was an unpoetic poem.. There were no fancy words nor vivid descriptions. It was simple. But in many cases, simplicity is the best. This was one of them.

I know I have said this many times before in this poem, but you have turned a boring common idea to an original clever idea... And that is why this poem is amazing... Its like you are talking to us in this poem. Talking to me!

I agree. Blades are definitely for cutting cake. :D
~Darth Timmyjake

Thank you, timmyjake! :D I'm glad you liked it (:

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:24 pm
Niraco wrote a review...

When I went into this poem I didn't really know what it was about. Which sparked my interest. 'Cut your Cake', hmm? Could that be about food? Giving up food? After some though about this title (and my hunger growing) I clicked on this poem.

I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. I felt like this should have been longer. Normally I love short poems but this just didn't have enough depth for me to really enjoy it. It was a good poem there just seem to be something missing from it.

This subject matter has been done many times before that it has almost become a cliché in my eyes.

I did like the humour element of this poem:

Blades

are for cutting cake

not skin.

But for me this was lacking in something. I felt that this was a good chance to really delve deep into the subject of self-harm. Or you could have took a subject which is rather hard to talk about and turn it into something which could be address by the use of humour.

Maybe it's just me over thinking a simple nice poem.

All in all it was good I just felt that it would have been great if you went just a little bit further.

Thank you! :D

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:09 pm
BrittanyNicole wrote a review...

Hey,

I really like your poem! It's fantastic. Pompadour is absolutely right. It's short, but it gets your attention right away, with only a few words.

but I figured all I had to say

was just seven words.

Blades

are for cutting cake

not skin.

Okay?
>> I like how you said ' blades are for cake '. True. But what if they consider themselves as something that can vanish as fast as a slice of cake? Like, I think of being used; just there to be there, you know? Not really having any point, other than to be cut down.

But great job altogether on this poem! :)

_Britt_

Hey there, fabulous picture by the way! :) Thank you for the review! :D

Thanks! I love yours too. And you're welcome.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:29 am
Pompadour wrote a review...

This is absolutely brilliant! It's short and to the point, and yet it has this ... depth. You're really good at simplistic poetry, and the message you managed to convey from behind the fibre-glass, brutal truth was just amazing.

It's something quite different from everything about self-harm I've ever read, and yet you talk about the topic in this quirky -- yet completely serious -- manner that just has to leave an effect on the reader! I like how you say "Okay?" at the end of the poem. It has this vexation behind it, this tiredness of the way the world is out to kill itself. Very, very nice.

This isn't much of a review, seeing as I can't really find anything to critique. *peers closely at poem* Hm, I think there should be a comma between "cutting cake" and "skin" though. The lack of a comma there made reading the sentence a bit awkward for me.

That's all I have to say. I think.

Keep up the wondertastic work! Keep writing!

Cheers,

~Pompadour

Thanks, Pompadour, and great work on your work in the Spotlight! :D Thanks for the reviewww :D

Pompadour says...

Aww, thank youu! :D
And no problem!

Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:22 am
Dreamy says...

xD okay, Mam!

P.S. This was amazing.

Thank you! :3

Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:40 am
GreenLight24 says...

That was deep. And immensely profound. Nice job! ;)

Thanks, GreenLight! :D

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:01 pm
Renard wrote a review...

HellO!

This is the most insightful thing I've read all the time I've been on YWS about NOT committing some act of self harm.

You've got it exactly here: Blades are for cutting cake not skin.

The use of the rhetorical question at the end is perfect, because it addresses the reader directly. And i HOPE IT will really make people think.

Great job.

Kudos.

Keep writing

~BSF

Thank you so much! :D

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:53 pm
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...

A poem in a poem! (Somebody needs to write a poem about this!)
On the poemlet.
This was such an amazing contrast, and the equivalent of smacking somebody round the face to bring them to reality. Such a message is purely common sense. Another good thing about this is the originality of this despite the slightly worn out subject.
The outside poem.
Again mimicking the demi-poem with it's bluntness, but seems less sympathetic towards the cutter, almost like telling him off.
And my single recommendation; Change blades to knives.
Hope this helps,
Take That You Fiend!

Thank you for the review! ^_^ It was originally knives but then I realised people use scissor blades and things, so I thought blades was more accurate :) Thank you though! :D

Personally I never use scissors to cut cake...

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:16 pm
deleted5 wrote a review...

Hey there ConverseFireGirl!
I found this to be an interesting poem, I kind of like how you went all simple and to the point with this one instead of using a whole ton of imagery and such. Either poems are both great but this one is more unique and I love the message behind it.
I'm impressed about how you start off the first five lines basically saying that "Plainly..." in a way like someone is talking. Then you proceed to using those seven words which sums up the whole poem in an unique way! I think the first half of the poem really adds to the effect of it!
If I had one thing to improve it would be this: I don't think the "Okay?" at the end is really nessercary as I think the previous three lines sum it up and end it very well already. "Okay?" Seems kind of unnatural to me but it is your opinion!
Overall, very nice poem! *Drops like*

Thanks for the review! :3

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:59 am

Hi There.. I don't really know what to review on since the only thing I had has been pointed out already... So except that, overall your poem is nice. What I like about it is that it's simple and direct, no beating around the bush. You wanted to say something, so you said it. GOOD!
If you need me to review anything else, let me know!
Harshita :)

TinyJarStoredDreams wrote a review...

Hey Tiny here!

I thought this was a sweet kind of silly look on cutting and it made me a bit happy. First time a person who read a poem about depression had felt happy afterwards huh?

Blades

are for cutting cake

not skin.

Okay so after cake there should be a comma

That's all I have to suggest!

I thought this was a cute little poem and I enjoyed it very much!

Spelling: 100%

Grammar: 95%

Poem Flow: 100%

Overall: 98%

Keep writing 8)

MysteryMe says...

Sorry, this isn't much of a review, but I just want to say that I loved this XD. It made me laugh at the end, while at the same time conveying a powerful meaning. Nice job!

If you want something badly, you just gotta believe it's gonna work out.
— Andy, Parks & Rec