z

Young Writers Society

On Writing Books

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:00 pm
Mighty Aphrodite says...

Since this is a writing forum, this may be a stupid question. But oh well! lol. I just wanted to ask, 'cause I got to wondering about it.

How many people want to write and publish a book one day? Who's already written one? Did it take a long time? What was hard about it?

If you haven't written one, but you want to and you've tried, why did you stop? What was the hardest part about going on?

Hopefully we can figure it out, and make writing books easier on all of us. :D If THAT'S possible...lol.
"lovers alone wear sunlight." -e e cummings

"A well-behaved woman rarely makes history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody."
-Mark Twain

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:03 pm
Myth says...

There is one short short I will definitely try to get published no matter how long it takes. Its a historical piece based in my local area so most of it is easy to write.

I've always wanted to write, apart from art its the only thing I'm good at and enjoy.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:39 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I definately want to get a book published in my life time. I'm actually hoping that it will be my day job eventually. I've wanted to be a novelist since before I can remember. We'll see how it all plays out.

I've written the first draft of a book and I'm currently revising it.

The hardest part was getting through the opening chapters and then the next hardest part was getting through the middle chapters. It takes a lot to work on it every day when all you want to do is skip ahead to the exciting parts.

The writing took about seven months, but I've been editing for about six months and I'm still no where near finishing.

I think the best thing to remember when trying to write a book, is just to keep at it. There are going to be parts that you just don't want to write, but you have to to get to the next piece.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:57 pm
Cassandra says...

I would absolutely LOVE to be published some day.

I have a novel in progress at the moment...I've been trying to get some outlining done which, funny enough, makes the writing easier, becaues I know what's coming next. Who would've thought? ;) But I'm fairly pleased at how it's coming along.

The hardest part for me, though I've never finished a whole novel, is just knowing what to write next, or where the story is going next. At the moment, this has been solved by outlining.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:13 pm
Firestarter says...

The thing with me is, I would absolutely love to be published, and it's be my dream since I was about 7 or 8, but I've realised during that time a few things:

1) It's highly unlikely that I'll be published. I have some talent in writing, but I'm lacking in a lot of areas and I don't write enough to ever do a book properly. I dream about it, but I don't work hard enough to try and achieve that dream.

2) I wouldn't be that bothered if I wasn't published. As long as I can write, and have fun in the process doing that, and enjoy it, and have stories to tell and poems to express, then I won't mind. I'll always yearn for a name with my book on, but really, I wouldn't mind if it didn't ever happen

I've got one novel going now though, that I hope to finish. The furthest I ever got before this was about 30,000 words, before I realised the plot was stupid and I didn't want to write it anymore. Then I got into historical fiction which I love more than anything else (I'm not sure I can go back now), and I've worked out how to outline, and plot and everything. The best thing is noticing myself improve. What I really hope is that, in five years or something, I'll have improved at this same rate and I'll be even better and then maybe, just maybe, publishing might not be so far off.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:33 pm
Snoink says...

Oh, yes! Publishing would be totally sweet. Slightly unrealistic, but still. Sweet.

I'm working on a novel right now and I'm about 75 K words into, which is very encouraging. So now all I have to do is finish it. Gah!

I've written novels before and stopped, mostly because I strayed from my original vision until it became so cliché that I was disgusted and just put it down. I stopped reading, really at that point. Ouch.

Oh well.

Publishing would be awesome. Haven't tried yet, but it would be nice.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:00 am
Rei says...

I've completed four books, and the first draft of my fifth.

I've been working on getting published for a while. For me, really, the hardest part is writing a good query letter.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:28 am
stilltyping says...

Hopefully, someday, I'll have the courage to start a novel. There is something so overwhelming about the idea that has kept me from attempting it. I do have countless plots stored in my memory, though. I'm thinking of stories alomst constantly. If only I could get them onto paper.

It would be lovely, one day, to be published!
///thanks.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:18 am
Sohini says...

i'm working on a novel now and if it's good, my dad says he might get it published. well, he's got three books on ophthalmology and since he knows about publishing i'll get a grand help from him.
publishing has always been my dream!!!
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:00 am
Elelel says...

I've wanted to be a writer since I sat down at age eleven and said to myself "hey, I really don't want a job I have to wake up early and go somewhere in a car or on a bus and sit around working for people all day. Why don't I try and be a writer? Writing is fun. Plus I can sleep in a bit and I can just stay home all day! Yeah! THat's a great idea!".

And that's basically my motivation for getting published. So, it would be great, and I guess it needs to occur for my dream to come about, but really I'm not all that concerned about it just because it's publishing. If that makes sense. I like writing stuff; publishing would be a nice bonus.

I tried NaNoWriMo, and although I was ahead of the schedule with about a week to go, I stopped because my brian sort of died on me. I'd been running on hyper-mode all month. I was starting to go slightly insane.

I think the hardest bit is the big just before the end, but after the halfway mark. It's like, you pass half way and you go "I have to do that much again?" and the excitment of the end hasn't really kicked in and you keep going for a while and then it just becomes too much of a hard slog to get through. I guess.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:28 pm
Esmé says...

Uhm… If math is right the I’ve probably started like five novels. Two of them managed to get into the fiftieth page.

That’s when I stopped writing.

I have no idea why, I just got bored with them. Maybe I had another one of my *cough* brilliant *cough* ideas, and started something new.

Then I end up leaving that and start to feel sorry for myself.

No, I have never finished anything. Not even short stories (I find it impossible to write something short, hehe). -Ha, but I have plans. Dreams.

Yeah! I’ll finish something. Someday.

And I’ll publish it, lol. Yup, it will become a bestseller. Of course. (Who cares that I’m writing in English in Poland, lol? Who cares that I’m not eighteen yet? Who cares that I haven’t the slightest idea of what to do if I want my book published?)

Ah, yes, I have to finish something first…

-elein

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:06 am
xtenx says...

I've always aspired to be published, but I'm not depending on it. I know it's unlikely, but it can't hurt to dream.

Right now I've started writing the first book in a series, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I've just recently hit the 45K mark and am just over halfway done. And I wrote the 45K in about three weeks, which was the quickest I've ever gone. I took a lot of time outlining it, so I know exactly what to write in each chapter, which makes the whole process so much easier.

The recent killer for me has been that I try to write too often. I've been writing so often now that I just want to take a break. I'm not sick of the plot or the characters- I still love the entire concept so much. But it's started to take away from my daily life :lol: I'll be in the middle of class and suddenly I'll have a new idea and I'll completely ignore my professor. It's come to the point where I've realized I'm in college to get a degree and then go into journalism- I'm not here to ignore my professors as I think about my novel. At the end of the day, this is just a hobby for me- it's not going to be my career. It would be nice to see a book of mine in a bookstore, but I like to be realistic about it.

Even now I'd rather be writing in my story, but I told myself to leave it alone for a few days. This is the first thing I've ever written where I've had a problem like this. Normally I have writers block, but this is kind of the opposite.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:25 am
Emerson says...

I would love to be published. The place where I am most hopeful is my short stories. But I haven't worked on my good short stories in quite some time. For some reason, novel length ideas consume me.

I'm working on a novel now, and really if it gets published, lovely, but the fact that I'm posting it is probably making me loose all copyright anyhow. But I've never written, finished, and edited a novel so doing that, at the least would make me happy.

And I do want to become published, It's not like "oh well this is just a hobby" like some have said. Writing is my life. Writing, and reading. I'm thinking about becoming a college professor in either Literature, or creative writing (anywhere in the English field) which may get me better chances of publish, because Professors often times write books about what they teach, and so, if I wanted to write fiction, it might work out nicely.

As for my short stories, I promise myself to go back and edit them into perfection, and then look for magazines to publish them in to at least get something to my name. Anything, is better than nothing. But I have to actually edited them first.... *sigh* and its a perpetual process too, because nothing is ever perfect.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:30 am
Sam says...

Publishing would be great- making a job out of writing in itself would be great.

(This is mainly because I have no organizational skills, working with people in general frazzles me, and besides- actually speaking face-to-face with others interrupts the taking notes on the moles on their lips that I would kill to work into a story someplace.)
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:26 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

I'm currently in the planning stages of a book right now. It's set in a fantasy world and is getting pretty complicated, so i'm working on drawing a map too. I would love to get it published one day, if I ever finish it. :roll:

My dream career is to be a wildlife photographer and a writer at the same time. I know i'd probably be very busy, but it would be really cool.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

"Come quickly, I am drinking the stars!"
— Dom Pérignon