z

Young Writers Society

Ending

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:47 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Anyone else have problems with endings?

i.e. You finish a series and are depressed for a few days? Wishing it would just go on forever?

LOTR killed me. Harry Potter, if I ever get around to reading the rest of them, will probably kill me, Narnia did the same, though it was a comforting ending, and so have various other books and TV shows.

What about you folks? Perhaps I'm too attached?
Last edited by Doctor Kitty on Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:59 am
Snoink says...

Hahahaha... smaur would be with you.

I usually skip to the end when I first start reading so I know what happens. *is lame* Endings don't bug me. Crappy endings do.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:19 am
Jiggity says...

Snoinkus you suck! That just recks everything. I'm in agreement Waffles I get far too attached and am usually depressed for a while ahaha, omg when Harry Potter ends I'll just die *cuts self*

No I am not strange! SHUT UP!!

*is totally normal* Yes, I agree. *nods*
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:44 am
Myth says...

I hate getting to the end because I know the rest of the story won't be told to the reader.

I used to skip to the end but that ruined everything else while I was reading, I've stopped now. Sort of.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:47 pm
tinny says...

I'm always really really tempted just to skip to the end. Sometimes books have ikkle previes of the next one coming out, and I usualy end up reading them.

I've never really got the end of a series though hmm. Thinking about graphic novels, I know it would make me sad when they ended.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:47 pm
jearjioe says...

You deffinatly aren't to attached. LOTR killed me too. Same with Narnia. Those series get you sucked int them and when you finish you have nothing to do. When you finish a series or a book, I just want to know what else happens to them during their lives.

Jearjioe

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:31 pm
Sureal says...

Ngh, I hate it when I finish something (it doesn't just have to be a novel - could be a movie or a tv series) and yet I don't feel satisfied... I want to learn more, want the story to carry on.

But then the feeling goes after a day or two, and it's onto the next shiny thing :).
I wrote the above just for you.

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:45 pm
Esmé says...

As a rule I never skip to the end, but if the book is really horrid or I just have enough of it, I do it. Especially on crime stroies. Don't know why, I just hate crime books.
If the ending is mildly stupid, i end up making my own. -And here goes another hour or so staring at the bedroom wall... No, seriously, I do.

P.S. Narnia is soooo boring. No offence meant to anyone who likes the series.
Last edited by Esmé on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:22 am
Elelel says...

It doesn't kill me to finish a series. I'm actually a lot like Snoink in that I will often read the end before I get to it, and that I don't read the story purely for the ending so they don't bug me unless they're crappy.

I know why it doesn't kill me to finish a series.

It's because I can read it again ... and again ... and again ... and again ... and again ... and again ... and again. THen I'll probably get sick of it for a month or so, but then I'll read it again ... and again ... and again ... and again ... and again ... and again ... and again ... and again ...
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:45 am
Swires says...

I dont hate endings at all. I like to finish a story to see how it ends. Then I move on and read another 50 books then I can go back and reread.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:05 pm
Areida says...

I don't like endings. I mean, I can enjoy and appreciate a well-planned and executed ending, but I don't like for books to end. At least not ones I like. It's just too sad.

I was sad when I finished the Narnia books the first time, and reeeally sad the first time I finished the Mark of the Lion series. But I resist change anyway, so there you have it. :P
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

Reviews: 3
Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:14 pm
Genius No.1 says...

Agh! Endings are the worst thing ever invented! You just want the horrible evil that was just conquered to come back so that the story will just keep going on, and on, and on. But I can imagine that after a while the author might run out of interesting things to write about the character, and the series would just end up being stupid, unless they were like the best writer ever! But endings come, and endings go, so eventually I just reread, until I've practically memorized the book(I do that with movies too.)

Endings make me sad...does anyone have a tissue? :cry:

the Genius

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:57 pm
Lilyy03 says...

LOTR killed me. Badly. :cry:
Yeah, generally, when I like a series (or even just one book) that's fairly long, I feel quite sad when I get to the end. It's bittersweet.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:42 am
HeadInTheClouds says...

Yeah, I have trouble with endings. I'm probably the fifth or sixth person that's said this, but LOTR killed me too. I got so depressed after they were over, I just wanted Sauron and all them to come back so the story could keep going. :(
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:36 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

Huh, I don't remember anything special when I finished LOTR. And I've never read Narnia. But I understand how you feel (I think) Back in middle school and high school I read the Animorphs series. Good series, worst series closer you could possibly have (in my opinion). The last book was really good, until the last 20-50 pages (Don't remember exactly where it started going downhill).

In general endings don't bother me. After all, all good things must come to an end. A story that never has an ending anywhere just gets, dull, no matter what's in it. You just gotta enjoy the ride while it lasts. And think about, would you really care what happens next if nothing ever stops happening? It would be an endless journey in which no one would every really achieves anything. where's the fun in that? Then again, I'm also not the kind of person who enjoys knowing every detail about a person's day to day life. That information I can generally fill in on my oen and don't need to see the character do it. After all, once the story's over, it's over. What more do you really need to read?

As for reading endings, I used to do that on rare occasions. However, the ending made almost no sense without the rest of the book, and so was both almost meaningleass and ruined the book a bit.

However, it's ending my own writings that there's a problem. But, that's not what what this thread's about, so I'll stop here.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

The brain is wider than the sky.
— Emily Dickenson