z

Young Writers Society

Prologues?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:59 am
Snoink says...

Mmmm... this site is full of them. I don't like them too much and usually skip them, published or not. Perhaps I'm in the minority.

Why do you guys love/hate prologues? Why would you use them?

Discuss!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:55 am
Firestarter says...

Sometimes I think they can be useful for drama; that is, the introduction of something that the reader could sense as an upcoming conflict. For example, in Davi Gemmel's Legend (the only book I can think of with a prologue) he has an ambassador trying to negotiate a peace treaty, only to be killed. So then you know something bad is going to happen after that.

A sense of foreboding perhaps?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:58 am
Myth says...

I also hate prologues and have only used it once in all of my writings.

For Queen of the Harpies I used it to explain who Fred was and why Brenna would be willing to leave her own world to go after him.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:07 am
tinny says...

I like prologues depending on thier use. I was always taught to use them for something that happened before the story, like, oooo *thinks of an example* so, if there was a incident in another place, or a few years before the main story begins, I would use the prolouge for that. Thinking of me, I used it to describe how one of my characters was first found in the desert, and then when I came to chapter one, it was some five years after that, but it was an event that shapes the rest of what happens.

Prolouges I hate are ones that just fill in the background infomation of what's going on and use lots of words. Like Anne McCaffrey. I like her books, but the prolouge just descrobes how people ended up on the planet and they gives a description of the history of what's happened on the planet.

None of which has any relevance at all.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:15 pm
Cassandra says...

I've never written a prologue in my life, but I'm planning on having one for my NaNo. I don't much like prologues either: I tend to just skim through them, unless they actually tell a story, like in Myth's Queen of the Harpies. But we'll see how it goes, eh? ;)
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:23 am
Elelel says...

I don't mind them. I tend to use them sometimes, depending if I think they'd benefit.

Sometimes you just need something that occured before the story actually started explained as it happens. Particularly if you see no way that the characters are going to be able to explain it to the readers (since they probably won't find out all the details themselves), really don't want to dump a huge load of info half way through the story, and a flashback would be inappropriate. If you see what I mean. That's the reason for the prologue for my upcoming NaNo.

I think Jack's got some good points about drama.

I really don't have anything against them. ALthough the ones that don't make sense until you've actually read the book can be rather annoying.

Not trying to be argumentive, but I am curious, so ...

How can you hate a prologue because it's a prologue? Isn't it basically just a chapter that doesn't really fit with the others?

If I called a prologue Chapter 1, would you start reading it and think "that really ought to be a prologue" and not read the rest because it's just a prologue in disguise?
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:14 am
Sam says...

I'd agree with that, El- I'm using one for my NaNo just because it doesn't fit in with the rest of the story (it tells the story of the narrator).

Drama is good, but only if it has relevance or symbolism with the rest of the story.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:51 pm
lexy says...

definitely in drama.... you can use them there really effectively.... they can go on a bit though can't they...... hmmm
*flees*
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself. - Peter O'Toole

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:20 pm
Goldenheart says...

I'm not sure whether I like prologues or not. I use them, though.

In my estimation, (I am BY NO MEANS an expert!) Prologues are a legal place for information dumps and bits that don't fit in with the book, as practically EVERYBODY has already said.

Say, if you want to start off your book with an enormous bang, but need to establish some things first, (Which may lower the speed of the big scene,) you can explain everything in the prologue, without needing to explain during or after it. Exposition weighs you down something terrible sometimes.
I've the odd habit of making my prologues into poetry.
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:11 pm
Writersdomain says...

I like prologues, especially when they include symbolic language or poetry, but I really hate them when they are massive information dumps. I like them much better when they are coupled with a first chapter and not left to stand alone.
Most of the time, I use them to create a mood before the story, or to be symbolic of a major dichotomy within the story itself. Prologues are fun. :wink:
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:41 am
Alteran says...

Sometimes i like them but i dont use them. I think They're good if the story really needs background info for the eader to understand whats happening.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:01 am
Via says...

Haha. I don't really like reading them unless the pages are numbered for them (something about accomplishing something while reading it), but I usually skip them. However, I love to write them.

Does that make me a hypocrit? *nods*
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:46 am
Trident says...

I'm done with prologues! Writing them anyway. Reading them can be arduous as well.

I'm done with trying for the almighty novel for a while in any case. I'm focusing on short stories mostly now, so prologues are rarely an issue.
Perception is everything.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Meep says...

It depends on the type of prologue. One on hand, you have the prologue to The Lord of the Rings, which is about a million miles long and contains no important plot information, as far as I can see. Those, I skip.
On the other hand, there's the prologue to Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale, which is short [s]and sweet[/s] and helps set up where the story is going in only a page or three. Those, I read.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

For in everything it is no easy task to find the middle ... anyone can get angry—that is easy—or give or spend money; but to do this to the right person, to the right extent, at the right time, with the right motive, and in the right way, that is not for everyone, nor is it easy; wherefore goodness is both rare and laudable and noble.
— Aristotle