z

Young Writers Society

What is your favorite atribute in a charcater?

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:34 am
Explosive_Pen says...

Sarcasm and black humor.
And intelligence and wit. And quirks.
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:36 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I love characters with crazy complexes. God complexes, Napoleon complexes, fear complexes. Bizarre phobias and strange habits.

Yeah. X3
ohmeohmy

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:20 pm
MySunshine says...

Mostly, I enjoy compassion and generally how a character interacts with other people.
But I love wit, sarcasm and all that as well :D
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:16 pm
LydiaB says...

I love sarcastic, harsh, blunt characters who, against all odds, manage to remain the "good guy" throughout the entire story. I also like to have a character who starts out relatively Mary-sue esque (though they have flaws, of course) and is slowly warped by the things that happen over the course of the story. I have two books where this happens and in one of them the character is scarred for life by going through an experience in which she destroys the life of the antagonist by turning her into the very thing she wants to exterminate while in the other the main character slowly turns darker and eventually does what both the "good" and "bad" side want, causing the war that has been going on for millennia to begin all over again.
Is Pat Buchanan the answer to everything in your life? If so, put "Pat Buchanan" in your signature.

If you're looking for a good fantasy story in need of help...
Purple Magic
:D

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:15 pm
Merricat says...

I rarely write them, but I love characters who are genuinely good people -- Rose from New Who, for instance (and the Doctor, but he has a much darker side), or Coraline, or most of Madeleine L'Engle's characters. I think it's really hard to pull off that aura of purity and innocence without making them naive or over-idealized, but the writers that do it successfully are so brilliant.
Merricat, said Constance, would you like a cup of tea?

http://www.notadoor.livejournal.com

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:40 am
Bickazer says...

I really like to write arrogant and acerbic jerks; a bit too much, I think, but it's fun to write people who don't care at all about what society expects of them, and voice their opinions freely. Arrogance is just such a fun trait to write, especially if the character actually has the knowhow/expertise/experience/etc. to back up their boasts, i.e. Dr. House and Dr. Rodney McKay (from Stargate Atlantis).

Weakness is extremely fun to write, too, though; I particularly love characters who try to do good but end up causing more harm than good through their own ineptitude and flaws (a la Gaius Baltar from Battlestar Galactica).
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:37 am
Conrad Rice says...

I like main characters that fail a lot, who have to struggle to get by, just like the rest of us.

Oh, and villains who believe they are doing good things, or who are actually doing good things.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:24 am
lilymoore says...

Definitely has to be a character who is constantly fighting they're greatest weakness and never really over comes it. That and the social anarchist who becomes the hero. I think it really just proves that the worst of us can still make an impact on the world.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:18 am
Fishr says...

I'm sarcastic and it shows throughout my work. It just hits naturally.

Hmm... My favorite atribute...

I'd have to say, it's the ones that make you work for their affection, such as life. Or, the chars that eventually open up to you but it takes time. After a certain point, when you've been with this figment of your imagination long enough, their deepest and most trusted secrets surface. That, is just awesome.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:14 am
MeadowLark says...

I love the witty and humourous characters! They have got to be the best around! But I also like the grumpy old characters. They're just great. Always snapping at the younger people.

I don't mind the klutzy characters or the ones who always seem to get into trouble.

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:41 pm
Dahlia says...

They're quirks and motivations and what propels them forward. They're stories really. I love all my characters, I can't say a specific character trait. I find them all interesting in their own ways.
Do you want a critique by Dahlia? If so, Click here!

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:16 pm
alwaysawriter says...

angels-symphony wrote:I

But I also like the characters that are shy and don't know how to show how they feel so they end up sounded obnoxious and idiotic. xD

Me too. The stories I read generally have dynamic characters so I like dynamic characters.
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

Reviews: 3
Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:54 pm
Moody says...

I like witty and strange characters. It makes the story more interesting if the protagonist has a sense of humor or acts a bit out of the ordinary.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:21 pm
smaur says...

I'm a sucker for tragic characters and downward spirals. Not angst or whiny ones but people who are deeply flawed and (somewhat) well intentioned and find themselves hopelessly spiralling out of control. Seriously awesome.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:19 pm
Icaruss says...

I like characters who want to be good people but can't, because they're human beings.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

You know how hard it is to feel like an extreme falcon-headed combat machine when somebody calls you "chicken man"?
— Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid