z

Young Writers Society

Maths and Maths and Maths all over again.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:58 pm
TwistedMuffins says...

You have no idea how happy I am this forum exists :'D

Q: "Ann and Sarah has 2 boxes of 30 chocolates each. Ann eats 9 chocolates and gives some away to her friends. Sarah gives 3 chocolates away to her friends and eats 4 times as many as Ann has given away. When they compare boxes, each one has the same number of chocolates as the other.

a) How many chocolates did Sarah eat?
b) How many chocolates qere left in each box?"

Such hogs!

Right, so embrassingly enough, I didn't get the answer. My answer ended with Ann = 54 and Sarah = 49, or something like that, which I know is not right. I hate being wrong in math sums! But I did it over and over but I just keep getting stuck.
So, help? :/

Also note: This is 8th grade math sum. Easy for you! Not so much for an 8th grader like myself!

I hate Alice Ma'am *sob* She doesn't even teach well!
If I were to have a super power, it would be to time-travel, so that I could turn back time, and erase your very existence.

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:04 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Sarah ate eight and there are nineteen left in each :D

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:07 pm
TwistedMuffins says...

WHATT?! How come I didn't get that!

How did you do it? Gah! I hate not getting a math sum!
If I were to have a super power, it would be to time-travel, so that I could turn back time, and erase your very existence.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:32 pm
DragonGirl11 says...

Let's try to do this visually:

Red x's = chocolates eaten Blue x's = chocolates given away Black x's = cocolates left over.
Ann's chocolate:
Box 1: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Box 2: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx blue = 1/4 Sarah's red. Black = Ann's black.

Sarah's chocolate:
Box 2: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx red =4xAnn's blue. black = Ann's black.

So, I'll do some thinking-out-loud here... well, typing-as-I-think. This is known as Trial-and-error... Sarah currently has 6 more black x's than Ann. So, the numbers can't be huge. We need to figure out when 4 time a number is also that number plus 6, in order to make all the black x's equal in numbers. Table time! (Y is the number Ann gave away, so 4Y is the number Sarah ate, and Y 6 is just to make sure the leftovers are even.
Y | 4Y | Y 6
1 | 4 | 7 Close, but no banana.
2 | 8 | 8 Got it!
Ann gave 2 away, and Sarah ate 8. (Hey, there's the answer to part a!)

(YWS doesn't do tables well, sorry. I'm also very sorry if my thinking doesn't make much sense.)

Ann's chocolate:
Box 2: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sarah's chocolate:
Box 2: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There are 1,2,3,4.... 19 left in each "Box 1" and both "Box 2" rows are still full of 30. In total, each friend has 49 chocolates left. There's the answer to part b!

Hope I helped you. L:
~*~

"You could look at the raindrops on your window, or you could look through the window and see the rainbow."
~K.C. Oxford

<YWS>

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:58 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

If you prefer doing it algebraically...

Q: "Ann and Sarah has 2 boxes of 30 chocolates each. Ann eats 9 chocolates and gives some away to her friends. Sarah gives 3 chocolates away to her friends and eats 4 times as many as Ann has given away. When they compare boxes, each one has the same number of chocolates as the other.

a) How many chocolates did Sarah eat?
b) How many chocolates qere left in each box

Let x = the amount of chocolates that Ann gives away.

For Ann's box, you start with 60 chocolates (2*30) and she eats 9 and gives an x amount away. So, algebraically, it looks like this:

60 - 9 - x = __

For Sarah's box, she eats four times as much as the chocolates that Ann gives away, so she eats 4x amount of chocolates, since it is 4 times the amount of chocolates that Ann gives away. And she, being the greedy lady she is, only gives away 3. How dare she!

Anyway, this looks like this algebraically:

60 - 4x - 3 = __

Well, from the problem statement, we find out that they have the same amount of chocolates left. So!

60 - 9 - x = 60 - 4x - 3

Solve for x and you get something like this:

3x = 6

Simplify, and you get this:

x = 2

So, remember how we defined x as the amount of chocolates that Ann gives away? Yeah. This helps us, because Sarah ate 4 times as many chocolates as Ann did.

4*x = 4*2 = 8

That's the answer to part a.

Now that we know what x is, we can solve the other guys.

60 - 9 - 2 = 49

60 - 4*2 - 3 = 49

And so, 49 is the answer to part b.

Hope that helps! I find that doing thing algebraically helps me out... other ways just confuse me. Hopefully this doesn't confuse you! O_o

If you have any questions, feel free to bug me! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
— Mitch Hedberg