Young Writers Society

Horses! Horses! And... Horses!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:35 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

For a story, I have a character who absolutely is obsessed with horses. His dad was big into horse racing, etc., etc. So... why not study about them?

If you have any information about horses, share it here.

And I would absolutely love it if you had some true stories about your personal involvement with horses! I know we have some riders. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:13 am
View Likes
Fool says...

Well, what do you want to know? Exactly? Horses in general is a large subject.

As for personal involvment?
The heaviest horse will always step on your toe
The soundest horse will throw you at least once
You will soon break your collar bone (or even your nose)
Have bruised buttocks
One horse will hold a grudge against you and bite you at every chance he gets.
The tallest horse will throw you on your back (resulting in a winding and more bruises - possibly a pass out, depending on the height of the horse, 18 hands normally works for me)

Hands? I hear you ask? Hands? the measurement for horses is taken in hands, one hand is four inches, and is measured from the top of the shoulders (also called whithers) to the floor. So 18 hands is 72 inches, or 6ft, a long way to fall.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:50 pm
View Likes
Duskglimmer says...

Personal involvement? it's been a few years since I've been riding, but for me the basics were:

Fat ponies are fat for a reason (they like to stop and try to eat every clump of grass they come to).
If the horse looks big from the ground, you can guarentee it looks even bigger when you're on it's back.
The idea of getting back on a horse after you fall off is harder than it sounds.
Beware of the following parts of the horse: teeth, hooves, rear legs, head, rear end. The safest place to be is in the saddle.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:36 pm
View Likes
nickelpickle says...

Any specific questions can be directed right at me. IT is possibly my favorite subject to talk about and I have trained horses, students and riden probably over a hundred horses in my life. I have many many stories that I could tell, just tell me what area you'd like. I've been exposed to racing as well if you need any help in that area. If you give me idea on breed (type of horse) or the discipline (type of riding), I'm happy to tell you anything you want to know.

I've had truly amazing experiences with multiple horses. One horse was completley wild and would not let anyone get near her except my trainer on occasion. My trainer didn't show up for four days so the task of taking care of this horse fell to me. She was out in the field when I had to go and bring her in. I sat in the field for two and a half hours. Finally, she walked up to me and began nosing me and snorting. I waited a few minutes and then stood up. She let me touch her, which is more than she'd ever done before. I clipped on a lead and she let me bring her in, which is amazing. The next day, she wouldn't let me touch her again. I finally got her into a round pen, which is a big fenced in circle. I had decided to try a join up. In this, you force the horse to keep moving with a lounge whip. Sometimes this needs to be done for ten minutes, sometimes a whole day. After this, the horse will start to twitch it's inside ear and it's mouth will start foaming. Then, if you turn your back on the horse after a few minutes of this, the horse will walk in to you. To test the bond, you can walk or run around the ring and the horse should follow. Anyway, it took me about 5 hours to do this. I did this three days in a row and on the fourth day, she allowed me to ride her bareback. Things just went up from there and she is currently in training, doing amazing.

I have tons more stories to bore you with, just post here or PM me and I'll be happpy to help.
"There's a light at each end of this tunnel,
You shout 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out
And these mistakes you've made, you'll just make them again
If you only try turning around."

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:46 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

As do I...:P

So yeah. Ask away.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:42 pm
View Likes
Araidne says...

Well, I have a miniature horse.(he is really a small pony now)He is a paint named Dustfinger. One of my experiences with Dusty, is when the ferrier comes to vist. Man, he is like a little kid getting a shot! He will hide his head, or bite my pants. And let me tell you, a horse bite hurts!
Out flew the web, and floated wide,
The mirror cracked from side to side.
'The curse has come upon me' cried
The Lady of Shalott

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:23 am
View Likes
Fishr says...

Like Snoink, I could use some help too, since I'm writing in about the 18th century. Horseback and carriages were one way of transportation and it would be awesome for some info.

I would be more interested on how to control the horse itself and the different 'areas' of the equipment, such as saddle, stirrups, reins, ect. Also, if you were to prepare a horse for riding, what steps are involved? I know you wouldn't slap on a saddle and tighten down the buckles. That would be a bad, lol.

So, I'd be very grateful for any help as well.
Thank you.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:49 pm
View Likes
-KayJuran- says...

I'd like some help with this topic as well.

I know a few different words for different horses, and for describing them such as:: mare, gelding, bay, roan, dun etc. I can't remember exactly what each one means though, and I'd love it if anyone could update my list with a few more names, and exact meanings.

I've been on a horse twice, about two years ago. First time was using a saddle and helmet. Second time was bareback, and I thought it was amazing how you could feel the horse's muscles moving. I never would have imagined how high up it was either, or how far apart your legs need to be. It's no wonder people complain about soreness of legs etc. So.. yeah, that's all I can give for personal experience, except to say that having a horse step on your foot *really* hurts! Also, stables can really stink - of horses, hay etc. - and you end up having to swat away flies. It seems riders spend more time looking after the horse than actually riding from what I've seen as well - brushing, washing, cleaning hooves etc.

Fun research topic here! :P
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:04 pm
View Likes
Caligula's Launderette says...

Look who finally found a comp! YEAH! So horses... yeah love 'em, basically what nickle said, so ask away. :D
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:44 pm
View Likes
Araidne says...

any questions on horses, you can ask me too. :P

365 Reviews

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:20 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

If you were to prepare a horse for riding, what steps are involved? I know you wouldn't slap on a saddle and tighten down the buckles. That would be bad, lol.

Also, when you're getting on a horse, would you call it 'mounting?' Just as if you were getting off, it would be called 'dismounting' the horse? I'm wondering if that's correct. ;)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sun May 07, 2006 7:39 am
View Likes
dele24 says...

Yeah, I love horses too.

Yes, you call getting on a horse mounting and you are always supposed mount from the left side. Why? Becasue thats the way its traditionally done. I think it has something to do with the fact that they used to wear swords on their left side so it would get in the way if you mounted from the right side. Anyway, it feels a bit wierd mounting from the right side once you've gotten used to mounting form the left.

Anyway, any other questions just ask :)

365 Reviews

Sun May 07, 2006 4:03 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

Cool. Thank you! And thanks for the tip on which side to mount the horse. :)

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue May 09, 2006 2:57 pm
View Likes
Caligula's Launderette says...

Yes, I do believe the proper term is to dismount a horse. Here are some things I've picked up in my riding experience.

I always keep my hands low on the the horse. Right on the neck. With my hands creating a sort of flat V shape with the bridle under the middle three fingers. But thats just me.

Always check your girth before you get started. Rather easy from the saddle, by leaning over and putting two fingers between the horse and the girth and checking to see if it's loose.

A rider should always been aware of their horse. (no brainer there) Also make friends with the horse but put yourself in a dominent position. It's weird I have done lessons with teenagers where it took me forever to convince them to talk to their horse, pat and scratch it.

Also, tip, when writing about horse, stallions are seldom ridden because of their temperments and their herd mentaliltity.

A person gets used to the way a certain horse 'rides', get on another and the rhymth can be hacked to pieces.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

365 Reviews

Tue May 09, 2006 3:12 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

Awesome! Thank you for the tips but I just have two questions:

What's the bridle again? And what's the girth?

I especially like the tip about stallions. *beams*

"Sometimes even shooting stars find wishes that miss their marks."
— TryHardNinja