z

Young Writers Society

Knights of the Green Room Great Hall

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:49 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

I find myself realizing that I completed my quest and have a certificate for a chest of gold. This'll probably take 5 horses to drag back to my office and after that my noble hunt for a unicorn will start. I'll just unlock the vault and claim one, there shouldn't have to be a big ceremony or fancy posting for this.
Now to get this done before the stable master leaves for the day.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102

766 Reviews

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:21 pm
Brigadier says...

Heck yeah KNIGHT @TheBlueCat, you're killing it. Here's a shield and helmet to protect you while reviewing. Next on the list a horse, which is ten reviews away, so you can ride away from a literary work fabulously and gloriously. Maybe let your hair down and sew a banner while working on this next set.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:32 pm
View Likes
jster02 says...

I wish to become a knight! From this point on, I shall be known as Knight Jster! (Or rather, Squire Jster. Gotta earn my title).
What's the point of success if it makes me miserable?

235 Reviews

Reviews: 235
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:47 pm
inktopus says...

Knight Storm waltzed into the Great Hall with a small smirk and a whole lot a swagger, lugging the trophies from previously slain beasts of the Green Room behind her. Knight Storm's Log

"I believe I have caught up with enough paperwork to officially request my helmet!" she bellowed. Then, she shook her head, mumbling, "And then it's right back to catching up on more paperwork."
insert profound quote here

Formerly Stormcloud

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 pm
Que says...

It seems that I have earned a shield. :)

Querencia's Log
Parlez-vous français?

235 Reviews

Reviews: 235
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:09 pm
inktopus says...

Heavy footsteps echoed in the Great Hall when Knight Storm entered. Her visage was haggard, perhaps even unearthly. "Paperwork," she muttered. "Need horse, armor, lance." Having said those five utterly exhausting words, she collapsed on a pile on the floor, a stack of papers falling from her limp hand: Knight Storm's Log
insert profound quote here

Formerly Stormcloud

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:43 pm
alliyah says...

Knight Alliyah follows her fellow knights Knight Storm and Knight Querencia looking left and right for the Knight's Commander. "Greetings fellow Knights!"

She reaches into the saddle bags upon her trusty steed, "I've traveled afar from the great depths of the Green Room these many moons and carried the banner of this noble group proudly as I've battled alongside my fellow knights, today for my troubles I present my certificate of 200 reviews completed for my Chest of Silver. I hope you find the records all in good and rightful order."

Knight Alliyah kneels and lifts the scroll of review records, scored with more than one ink stain and what looks like a bit of coffee drippings as well.

Knight Alliyah's log
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

Reviews: 1
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:49 pm
View Likes
KotGRCommander says...

You hear a rustling from some long-forgotten utility closet while wandering the halls of the castle. Before you have the opportunity to decide whether you want to
    A) be intrigued and boldly investigate
    B) be intrigued but carefully leave it be
    C) ignore the rustling for the vermin it most likely is
the door to the closet flies open and the Commander topples halfway out, saved from the most ignomious of faceplants only by the presence of @Kyllorac's arms around his waist.

Kyll notices your presence in the hall and freezes, staring.

You stare back.

The impending stare-off spurs Kyll into action and the Resources librarian hurriedly shuffles back into the closet, pulling the Commander upright by the scruff of his noble cape.

The Commander rouses, shakes off the manhandling he just visibly suffered, and glares down at you from the slit in his helmet. "PAY NO HEED TO THE KYLL BEHIND THE PUPP--er--NOT-PUPPET!" he commands in a most booming and inarguable voice.

But you have questions, and the Commander sees this, so with a sigh, the most noble leader of Knights shuffles backwards into the closet, replaced a moment later with a very resigned-looking Kyll and a tired-but-still-superlatively-sassy @LadyLizz.

Seriously. You can feel the sass radiate off the Lady from where you are now carefully standing on the opposite side of the hall. How you wound up there, you're not sure, but it's not important. What is important is how the duo of Knights in front of the closet appear to be gearing up for a proper lecture. Or something.

You suddenly find yourself seated at a desk in front of a whiteboard, LadyLizz seated next to you while Kyll stands behind a podium, shuffling some notecards. A quick glance around reveals rows upon rows of adequately-lit bookshelves, so you can only conclude that you've been magically transported into the bowels of the Knowledge Base, a change of scenery that would be surprising if you didn't know Kyll.

"Well, class," Kyll begins, setting the notecards down in favor of a long pointing stick-thing (the proper name of which eludes the writer at the moment). "Due to unfortunate circumstances, the Commander has been on an... extended, we'll say, vacation. A vacation that need not have been, had things played out differently.

"You see--" Kyll gestures at the whiteboard where diagrams appear in illustration. "--back when the Knights were first founded, as a lone thread in The Lounge I might add, Knights themselves wrote posts telling of their own fantastic exploits in the perilous reaches of the Green Room. And that was good, for though it was encouraged, such tellings were not required.

"However, a few years down the line, Knights began ceasing the tellings of their exploits, and soon, no Knights spoke colorfully of their journeys to slay rare beasts and capture golden geese. Claimants simply dropped in and provided proof of their conquests to claim their due rewards, which worked, but it quite took the fun out of things for those responsible for the tracking of rewards, and so it became a common practice for the Commander to embellish the rewards ceremony a bit."

LadyLizz leaned forward in her seat and looked at Kyll.

"Okay, a lot. Some of us went farther than others in the decoration department."

LadyLizz leaned back in her chair, placated for the moment.

"Alas, as the number of Knights with the necessary privileges to award recognition upon other fellow Knights dwindled, the burden of decoration grew heavier and heavier, until we reach the present day where there are, at best, three dedicated decorators who are only available part-time, and often quite tired due to the unfortunate trial-generator known as Real Life."

"When Kyll says only some Knights still do it," Lizz pipes up after digging an elbow into your side to snag your attention, "those are the ones generally being wheeled off to the army old folks home."

"Never."

The Lady grins like an alligator. "It's only a matter of time, darling."

Kyll huffs and proceeds to ignore the other senior Knight. "So anyways, what I'm ultimately saying is that the Commander and his dedicated decorators need your help in easing the burden of making the awarding of badges and campaigns into the Green Room fun for everyone, and you can greatly help by trying your hand at taking a more fanciful spin in your claims. That is where a lot of the fun initially resided, back when the Knights of the Green Room was first founded, long before we had our own subforum for Quests, Challenges, and Orders. So give it a try! And spare us poor decorators a lot of work while you're at it."

With the lecture complete, you find yourself once more in the hall where this all started. A quick glance at the clock on the wall reveals the passing of not a minute.

You depart to check upon the progress of the backlog of awards.

---

The COMMANDER returned from his very long vacation, one so long that he had forgotten it was a vacation at all, and was now faced with the mounds of paperwork resting precariously on his desk. At the very top there were a few requests for Knighthood and claiming of badges, and the farther they went down, it became more apparent they were bills or invitations to holiday parties.

One that he pulled out had a small turkey sticker keeping the envelope flap closed and now he truly wondered had long he had been gone.

The logs and reports had been looked after up until a week before the current date, all filled by officers, none of whom made the ceremony grand. The awards were tossed around like darts in the tavern, straight to the point, and only to the point. The COMMANDER looked to the wall where his own awards hung, realizing that he didn't have anything official outside of a title and a post.

This philosophical and questionig moment stretched on until he turned back to the papers so see who had filled them. The usual names popped up, @LadyLizz and @Kyllorac, and rarely deviated from these two. Kyll would be impossible to find this time of day but the Lady would be taking her lunch at Snoink's Cafe, so he set out on a donkey. It wasn't as grand as he would have liked but there were no horses available and a donkey was more suitable for the climb up the mountain.

The Cafe was packed with Knights of differing kingdoms and the Commander had to squeeze between tables to find a path through. He spotted Arthur and his troupe of dancing knights, waving to them as the Vikings one table over chanted "Spam, spam, spam, spam," which annoyed the lunch lady very much.

The Lady Lizz sat almost alone at the bar, the standard, eating her standard sandwich and standard drink. The BB pupper sat next to her, ready to stop any swearing that might happen.

"So you finally woke up, you descendant of a small weapon?"
"I don't understand what that means but I want to know why these reports weren't filled."
"Who are they for?"
He took the papers from his briefcase, which had arrived out of nowhere.
"Squire Jster (@jster02) wished to pledge their service to the Knighthood and was not supplied with training knives. Knight Storm (@stormcloud) came to collect her Helmet, Horse, Armor, and Lance, and is evidently still catching up on her logs. Knight @Querencia has filled enough reviews for a shield and Knight @alliyah came to collect a Chest of Silver."

The Lady put down her sandwich and looked over the reports, while the pupper once again readied himself for the swearing about to happen.

"I can tell you why these reports haven't been filled."
"Why?"
"Because you didn't give me the gosh darn authority to refill the gosh darn badge supplies before you left in the gosh darn wind."
"Then why didn't you go to a higher ranking Knight?"
"None of them have permission you rear end headwear."
"If I give you permission, will you fill them immediately?"
"You already summoned all the people to this place so I might as well."

Lady Lizz took her sword from her scabbard and the badges from her purse.
"I thought you weren't authorized to order them."
"I'm not. I stole them."
"Oh."

The Knights and Squire formed a line, and went through their honors one by one.

"For Squire Jster, I grant a set of Training Knives and officially name them in the eyes of the court. When you have slain ten Green Room Beasts, return to me in the Great Hall with the proof of your conquests.
"For Knight Storm, who has been busy collecting her records and re-ordering them, I grant a Helmet, a Horse, a set of Armor and a Lance. At this time, I ask you to name your horse so that he may accompany you properly with your future quests.
"Knight Querencia, you have just begun your first quests and to protect you on these missions, I give you a helmet, and the hopeful message that you will earn all of your essentials in time."

She dug around in her bag for a small box labeled "Chest of Silver IOU" and handed it to Knight Alliyah.
"You have come so far to reach this point and you have a long ways ahead of you. For your courage and sticking with the program, you have been given
the reward of a Chest of Silver, and the Chest of Gold is right around the bend."

"As always, these badges must be displayed to receive the weapons and rewards from the Quartermaster. If the COMMANDER would care to, now is the time for his official speech."

"Of course my lady. While we have the Knights gathered in this fine establishment, I ask only for one more moment of your time, to transport us all back to the Great Hall."

"That isn't what I mea-"

In a moment the entire crowd was standing in the Great Hall and the Commader was quite proud of himself.

"As I was saying before, now that we're in our official headquarters, I will finally be making a return to YWS and shall return to granting weapons and awards.

The Lady mumbled something under her breath and the pupper barked, telling everyone to turn their attention back to the Commander.

"I thank you all for your cooperation with my officers during this period but ask that more return to colorful descriptions of their quests, to bring life back into the Knighthood and to bring new recruits to our doorsteps."

He fumbled for his sword and then presented it to the sky saying,
"Long live the Green Room and those who protect it."

276 Reviews

Reviews: 276
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:36 am
View Likes
rosette says...

I wish to become a knight!
On earth I long to be like Him

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:52 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Then sally forth, Squire @rosette, and slay Ten Green Beasts. Bring back their heads (or tails, or the least-icky bit of body you don't mind touching--a lock of hair might do if you're seriously squeamish) of those Ten to stand as testimony before the Commander and your Knighthood shall be conferred.

Creative retellings of your adventures are always appreciated.

I see that you have already reserved a spot on the shelves for your log--a most excellent start! It shall make the proving of your claims all the easier for you need only reference the log (via link) in your future declarations.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 pm
View Likes
LakeOfCancer says...

I wish to become a knight! My journey begins!!!!!! :D
If I had known I would die, I would've lived my life...

"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."

~Charlie Brown

766 Reviews

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:03 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Greetings Squire @Lake and welcome to the Knights of the Green Room.

To prepare you for these upcoming battles on the journey to Knighthood, I will give you a shiny set of Training Knives as your weapons for now. Please return to me with logs when you have slain ten beasts of the Green Lands.

I see that you have already set up your log here, but for the ease of all parties involved, I would like to suggest a neater way of keeping them together. We require only the links to your reviews and conquests, as proof of the beasts you have slain, rather than the entire review copied into a post.
This is the coding that we use.

Code: Select all
[spoiler]
[b]For Knighthood[/b]
10. [/spoiler]

Spoiler! :

For Knighthood

And this is all for now, so good luck to you on every path you might walk.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am
LakeOfCancer says...

I have accomplished my quest in slaying 10 beasts of the Green Lands! My proof: Lake's Log

I hope that I will become a Knight of the Green Room with these! :D
If I had known I would die, I would've lived my life...

"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."

~Charlie Brown

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:44 pm
LJF says...

Hello, good Sirs and Ladies, I humbly beseech you to allow me to be accepted into your noble Order.
-Lady LJF
“In order to...apply the teachings of the Aincrad style...keep its secret motto in mind: "stay cool.”-Reki Kawahara
"I’m glad I didn’t die there. I have to go home. I’ve still got things to do.”-Yukako Kabei

ah yes my boiling cheetohs
— tatteredbones