z

Young Writers Society

Knights of the Green Room Great Hall

Reviews: 1
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:42 am
View Likes
KotGRCommander says...

"Uhm, may I come in? I know this is a little soon to be coming back but I've already--" @DragonWriter22 began to speak.

"No need to be nervous. You're a quick one. Keen eyes that are able to scout out a Green Room beast quite easily. I know you're here for your helmet. I left it on top of the coat rack right beside you." I tipped my hat and winked at the Knight.

"Oh, alright then," She said, looking at the ground. "See you."

"See you in a week or two. I know you'll be back." A grin grew upon my face. My office had become a storage room for gear and an assortment of weapons. I wondered why and then I remembered that my office was the storage closet. Still, the place stretches across enough aisles for me to have a whole room to myself, my desk sitting in the front for convenience.

One Knight left and another came in. This time, it was @Kays dragging her sword against the floor tiles. "Don't scratch up the floors." I laugh.

"Gimme my unicorn."

"Alright, alright. I need to check your log first. This is the big one."

"Of course." Knight Kayla said, blowing a wisp of hair out of her face and pulling out her log.

"And do you know why there are more pages?" I ask her.

"Because there are more monsters?" Kayla glances at the empty faces with a morbid look on her face.

"There are always more monsters. The only time they'll stop coming is when this world ends."

"Like the water cycle?"

"The water cycle is a good example. We need water. It is essential to our existence just as Knights need beasts to slay and new places to journey to."

"Thanks, I needed that." She blows her nose and throws the tissue into the trash can.

"It's what a commander does. Now, go to the Golden Stables and get that unicorn of yours."

"Thanks, Commander!" Kays rushed out of the room with a tear in her eye. Not a tear of sadness, but a tear of understanding. An "OHHHH, I get it now" tear.

Off to new adventures the Knights always go.

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:59 am
View Likes
Steggy says...

I'd like to claim my jeweled chalice!
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:31 am
View Likes
KotGRCommander says...

A Compromised Victory

The morale in the field isn't looking great lately. Knights are tired of waking up every morning to risk their lives, over time their buddies being consumed by Green Room beasts. The office of KotGRCommander is looking empty and the monsters don't seem to stop coming. There's a continuous flow of creatures slipping through the cracks and swallowing civilians and causing havoc.

Knight @Dino however, is having a pretty good day. That is, until a wolf ambushed her from behind.

Rewind. Dino galloped along on her horse at a slow and steady pace. She wasn't in any rush to get home, but she wasn't going to purposefully camp out in those woods if she were able to avoid that.

It was early morning and dawn just broke the sky as the sun began to rise into the air. Serenity danced through the air as a beam of sunlight hit her back. Even though Dino wasn't in battle, she still wore her armor. She certainly didn't enjoy gravity attempting to pull her to the ground but when she took her suit off, she felt light as a feather.

Dino kept looking for a win despite the fact that loot was less common these days. A legendary sword? A book of spells? A new helmet? The Knight didn't care what she got as long as she'd have a use for it.

Then, before Dino was able to react, a shadow darted past her. In a single motion, Knight Dino hopped off of her horse and drew her sword and shield. The creature that bore red eyes and black fur leapt out at her from behind a tree, and that's where we left off.

Play. Dino bashes the Green Room beast that came at her. Soon she identified this to be a wolf, but this isn't a regular species. This wolf was born with teeth that have only the intention to bite. She knocks the beast away, but it isn't long before it's coming back for more. Teeth clenched on her blade, Dino struggles to hold on.

She drops the sword.

The beast attacks.

Before the mouth of the beast can reach any vital areas, Knight Dino draws an arrow from her quiver and lets the wolf have a bite.

In those few seconds that Dino has to win this fight, she picks her sword up and finishes the job. The Knight lets out a sigh of relief and sees a glint in its fur. Without hesitation, Dino pulls out a jeweled chalice. "Ewww."

She wraps up the chalice in an old shirt, planning to clean up the glorified cup and use it eventually. At least I got something to show for this. Dino thought, mounting her horse again.

Dino gets her victory that day, and maybe she doesn't have a sword or a book of spells or a helmet but she hopes she can tell this story over dinner one day with that chalice in hand.

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:29 am
View Likes
ajruby12 says...

A cloaked and dusty figure is lurking in the shadows. Having watched the going ons of the few remaining knights for some time, she finally slips into the light of a lantern.
"It's been a long time..." she murmurs to herself. The last several years of wandering are apparent on her weary face, but she claps the handle of her sword bravely.
"I will strive to conquer the ferocious Green beasts once again." She begins to polish the blade, which was by now worn down by the sands of the desert and sporting scratches from hard-fought battles.

Little did she know that several Green beasts had followed in her wake, causing their own sets of problems in the kingdom. How long will she remain in this land? No one knows, but for now, Lady Ariana's quest for the greater good has drawn her back to her fellow knights.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." - Ray Bradbury

1231 Reviews

Reviews: 1231
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:01 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Knight Alliyah waves to her fellow Knights and shouts a battle cry, "Ahoy! Happy Review Day!". She approaches the commander with her log and a strange scroll maybe from the ruins of the Knight's Library.... "I think I've completed the reviews required for Main Challenge Four... is there need to declare that, or is this not yet the right time? "

Knight Alliyah unfurls the scroll to display the Green Room reviews that had been bestowed on three fellow Knights: Main Challenge 4 Records
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:05 pm
View Likes
KotGRCommander says...

We welcome back @ajruby12 with joy and gladness! May your reviews strike swift and true against the beasts that lurk within the Green Room, Knight Ariana!

And it is with great pomp and circumstance that we also award @alliyah the great honor of being the first to redeem the Fourth Main Challenge's reward. May many more follow in your diligent footsteps, Knight Alliyah!

*a sneaky Kyll sneakily sneaks up onto the podium to sneakily whisper a sneaky piece of information into the Commander's ear*

And let us not forget the most impressive contributions of @Rydia in restoring the library, for although she has yet to declare her eligibility for the reward, Knight Rydia has handily met the requirements and been bestowed with her spoils accordingly!

Knights! Let us all come together in congratulations and welcome!

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:21 am
View Likes
AkeliaTaske says...

I, Akelia Taske, pledge to be a knight!
Ah oui oui, mon ami, je m'appelle Lafayette!
The Lancelot of the revolutionary set!
I came from afar just to say "Bonsoir!"
Tell the king, “Casse-toi!” Who's the best? C’est moi!

-Lafayette (Hamilton)

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:09 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

LO, was it dusky and humid as @AkeliaTaske entered the Grand Hall of the Castle! Knight Lumi lounged at the banquet table with Knight @Gooseluck and Knight @Kays--all who were alerted to the new presence in the hall. Lumi turned to greet her!

"Welcome to our castle, er..."

"Akelia Taske."

"Have you business here, Akelia Taske?"

A grand grin grew on her glossy green lips. "I, Akelia Taske, pledge to be a knight!"

The KotGR band began playing in the rafters, tooting their trombones and banging their bass drums! "Yes!" cried Lumi! "I hereby declare you Squire Akelia! To become a fully-fledged Knight of the Green Room, return to me with a log of ten green room reviews!" The others joined behind him.

Kays brandished a small pair of daggers. "You'll need these to slay those Green Beasts!"

The three sang together with the band: "Good luck to you, good luck to you! Whatever you do, don't step on Goose...luck."

There was a protracted silence as they realized the error of their sick rhyme. As they huddled together, Akelia had the sense to high-tail it off to the green room.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:39 am
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

If meager folk such as I are accepted here, then I would gladly pledge my allegiance to this guild of Knights.
Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. - The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:58 am
Featherstone says...

We welcome you, Squire Rynn, into our barracks! *raises glass* We wish you good luck on your hunts of the many Green Beasts!
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:39 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Oh, verily, @ChieRynn! We would be glad to have you take up residence in our castle, then see you work your way to your own in the Green Hills of Glory!

--

Lumi cleared his throat before brandishing a pair of knives from his satchel. "Yea I bestow upon thee the Training Knives used by our very own Knight @Hannah! In order to be a fully-fledged knight of flawless fealty, you must return to us with proof of ten slain (reviewed) Green (Room) Beasts (Works). This means you must be the first or second to review the piece! I wish you luck and bounty!"

He pounded his chestplate as the new squire stood. "All hail Squire @ChieRynn!"
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:31 am
ardentlyThieving says...

I, Ardently, wish to become a knight!
“Thus human beings judge of one another, superficially, casually, throwing contempt on one another, with but little reason, and no charity.” - Emmuska Orczy, 'The Scarlet Pimpernel'

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:11 pm
ExOmelas says...

Knight Biscuits was trotting through the meadow, beheading trolls whenever a story she was following published a new chapter one happened to pop up. One day, a particular troll decapitation felt rather momentous. She counted her reviews on her fingers, twenty five times all the way through both hands. And suddenly she realised, she had reached 250 GR reviews victories!

Knight Biscuits would like to claim her chest of gold :)

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:08 pm
View Likes
KotGRCommander says...

The Commander came about the hall, realizing how many notices had been posted since he was last here. Perhaps the vacation to the Britains was not the best decision to make this time of year. Ready to talk to him were three people, each with equally pressing matters, he thought.

Knight Biscuits (@BiscuitsLeGuin) bowed and handed him an IOU claim ticket.
"I was told by Knight Lumi previously, that you would award my Chest of Gold, when you got back from your quest. If you would kindly pay up, I just finish cleaning off a shelf for it to sit on."
"Oh of course Knight Biscuits." He called to a squire. "Fetch this knight a chest of gold."

The next in the line was @ardentlyThieving, a user wishing to become a knight.
"@LadyLizzLovelace, while you're standing there, would you mind grabbing a set of daggers?"
"I happen to have two on me. Squire Ardently, in order to move up in rank, please return to us with proof of 10 slain Green Room beasts. That's Knight speak for 10 green room reviews. Good luck to you on your quest."

The Commander turned to Lady Lizz now.
"And what brings you back to the Great Hall?"
"I've come to distribute ravens, badges and ravens badges."
"Why are we giving out ravens? I though we were still giving out parrots?"
" If you hadn't nailed 'em to the perch they'd be pushing up the daisies!"
"But they had such a lovely plumage."
"That's besides the point. Now I need 5 ravens and 5 OotR badges. Do I need to write this down for you?"
"Of course not. But I think we're fresh out of OotR badges so I'll have the craftsmen make some more."
"Just roll with the ravens for now then."

A squire soon came back with the requested items, including the supposedly non-existing ravens badges.
"Found this in a box on the bottom of the ale shelf. Not quite sure how they go there."
He started giving them away, while also giving the "I'm watching you" motion to the Commander.
"One for @Kays, one for @BlueAfrica, one for @PrincessInk, one for @BiscuitsLeGuin and one for @FalconryGirl9086 who will be popping up any second to shout-"
Fea jumped out from behind a suit of armor, shouted "HELLO POLLY!", collected her badge and bird, and then slipped back into the shadows.

"Squire Cleese, you know these people too well."
"Unfortunately, yes I do ma'am."

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:02 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

Knight Steggy would like to claim Fellow In Arms for reviewing it might be el niño year from Knight @Lumi!

For The Head of the Wild Boar:

Knight Steggy was galloping on her horse when it started raining. Hard. She tried to find shelter but it seemed fruitless. After several hours of wandering about, Steggy came across a small hut with smoke curling from a stone chimney. Thankful, she went to the hut and left her horse outside tied to a tree nearby. Steggy knocked twice on the door in hopes of finding someone to let her in and out from this rain.

No one had come to the door after several minutes.

Knight Steggy decided it was probably best to just leave and deal with the rain. She rode off but if she had stayed a little longer, Knight Steggy would've been invited inside by a nice old lady who was making some bread. The once dirt roads were slippery and muddy, causing her horse to skid all over the place. Thunder boomed above as Steggy's horse went crazy, almost throwing her off the saddle.

"Calm down, boy. It's okay."

It wasn't okay. Soon, the horse and knight found themselves in the woods. Heavy rain continued to fall and thick droplets of it landed on Steggy's armor. Her horse continued to run, neighing louder and louder each time. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning shot from the sky and hit a tree that then fell in front of where Steggy was riding. Her horse sprung onto its hind legs and Steggy had tried to grab ahold of the reins but again, it was fruitless. She felt heavily into the mud as her horse rode off through the woods. She closed her eyes, in hopes of waking up to nothing like this.

Several minutes passed as Steggy was left in the mud. Pouring rain fell around her and the sounds of thunder boomed around her. While was laying down, a lone boar was also roaming around in the rain. Its big body was covered with thick brown hair and had thick tucks that protruded out of his mouth. He was grunting and sniffing through the reeds and grasses. He caught the smell of Knight Steggy and looked in her direction. He grunted softly and went to check on her body.

Steggy wearily opened her eyes. The sun of rain continued to happen, creating a static almost sound in her ears. The blurry images of trees were all around her. Sitting up, Knight Steggy felt that her arm was sore from falling and there were some scabs on her face. She sighed, rubbing her arm lightly. A rumble came from the left of her. Perhaps it is my horse coming back she thought foolishly. Of course, when she did look, Steggy saw a wild boar running towards her.
Her legs were tangled and couldn't exactly get her up so she attempted to scramble up. The wild boar continued to run rather clumsy towards the knight. Steggy went off the path and through the woods, downhill in the mud. Her armor clanked loudly as she limped. The wild boar was still following after with no stopping soon.

Steggy fell down again but this time into a small stream that was forming due to the amount of rain that was falling. The wild boar was looking down at Steggy from on top of the hill she had just gone down. Regrettably, he also followed her down, sidestepping all the slippery parts. Steggy had woken up again and was welcomed by the snout of the boar in her face. She couldn't scream or else that'll just startle the poor thing and she could potentially die from being stomped on.

Luckily, she had an idea but it was a dirty one. And since minor details exist in one way or another, let's just say Steggy had a boar head that hung on her wall.

So, claiming the head of the wild boar for reviewing art (which I haven't done before and was rather scared that I would mess up). The piece: My Love...
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

Have you met a cow or another large animal?
— Liminality