z

Young Writers Society

2022 NaPo Information Station

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:42 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hello there, Poet! :) Be sure to check out @Birdman's Poetry-Review-Poetry Challenge. Details are below.

Brigadier wrote:
Birdman wrote:https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=404&t=113678

To the fair poetry reviewers of the city of Yewis,

I, Birdman, challenge you to become critical Bards for the next piece of poetry that you review. You can search through the wide expanse of the Green Room for your muse. Or, with National Poetry month afoot, you may be able to request that a friend allow you to take inspiration from their work.

(This meaning that you should write your review of a piece of poetry in whatever style of poetry that you may choose. An extra prize may be given out to those who complete a sonnet though...)

If - if - you complete a review of a work of poetry and you have at least one original stanza of critique (of four lines or more), then I will give you 50 bonus points.

If you've completed a Green Room review, then I'll give you the directions to the Knights of the Great Hall and question why you have not yet joined us.

Submit your completed reviews in the thread below by the end of NaPo (April 30).

The usual rules apply to this joint poetry and review challenge.
1. Spam reviews are not allowed.
--> Your review must have content and your lines of poetry must be related back to your critique of the original work.
2. Plagiarism is frowned upon and will be reported to a moderator.
3. Don't take this challenge too seriously.

Link to original comment

Link to original comment

(And if you want to host your own contest or challenge, there is still time!)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:43 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

I have a question! For the Poetry Jam Badge, does it count if you're in the same pad on two separate days or does it have to be a fresh pad each time to count?

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

1227 Reviews

Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:18 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

@Shady you're in luck! Poetry Jam doesn't expire as normal jam does - so if the pad was shared multiple days and you were there multiple days it can count toward multiple jam jars. ~ Happy Poeting!

1227 Reviews

Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:20 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

We are nearly 2/3rds of the way through National Poetry Month!! How are you feeling? How are things going? What's your favorite poem you've written? Feel free to chat in this thread if you'd like ~ and keep up the great work with your poeting! Still plenty of time to reach your goals and to encourage each other in the threads!

Below is some info about an upcoming poetry discussion opportunity that @Liminality and I are hosting that you should check out! You'll have a chance to brag up one of your poems from the month and let other folks discuss it. :]

Poetry Readers wrote:Later this week you're invited to bring a NaPo poem to have a little discussion session ~ it'll be fun! I hope you can join us. :)

Liminality wrote:Hiya Poetry Readers!

Our next discussion will be a special NaPo edition, where you can bring one NaPo poem of yours with a maximum of 25 lines in length to discuss. The date and time will be :

See you there!

Link to original comment

Link to original comment

1227 Reviews

Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:00 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Poetry Discussion is open! :)

Liminality wrote:Here's the pad! Come join us!
Liminality wrote:Hiya Poetry Readers!

Our next discussion will be a special NaPo edition, where you can bring one NaPo poem of yours with a maximum of 25 lines in length to discuss. The date and time will be :

See you there!

Link to original comment

Link to original comment

1227 Reviews

Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:25 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

HELLO NAPO POETS! WE HAVE ONE WEEK LEFT OF NAPO HOW ARE YOU DOING?

Need a Prompt?
Poem a Week has new ones every couple days ~
More Prompts in This Thread
Need a more random prompt? Collect the first word of every poem you've posted in your NaPo thread so far and write a poem using each of those words in some way. You can change the word slightly like "write"->"wrote" or "read"->"red" but every word must be used in some way. (If you actually use that prompt let me know and I'll give you 50 points for your poetry efforts!)

Can't remember what badges are offered for NaPo?
They're all listed here and now is a great time to start collecting your jam links and comment links and numbering your poems if you haven't already been doing that. :]
And I'd love to highlight the Starter Seed Badge which you can earn by making just 10 unique comments in other poet's NaPo threads ~ great way to encourage everyone to finish their goals in this final countdown and you'll get a nice new badge if you collect your comments too!

1227 Reviews

Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:27 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hey here's a last minute poetry contest for you to participate in if you like!

lliyah wrote:

Last Chance!
NaPo Time Traveler Contest

Calling all poets! We all know NaPo is a little more about getting poetry out than editing poetry ~ but this contest asks you to grab a poem from the past and bring it into the future using your powers of creativity.

Your Challenge: Take the very first NaPo poem from your NaPo thread, and make it into a totally new poem. If you would like, you can even use the first NaPo poem from a previous year! The final poem should be clearly inspired by the first poem, and I'd love if you could even re-use a phrase or line from the original one, but it should also clearly be a new poem.

To Enter: Post a comment with your old and new poem enspoilered below by 8 PM EST April 30. You can submit up to two entries. Please indicate if your poem has mature content.

Judgement Criteria: Poem will be judged by me on 1) Clear link to old poem 2) Use of Creativity 3) Use of Poetic Devices 4) Impact

Prizes: First place will get 300 points + some sort of delightful bird or cat doodle by me.

1227 Reviews

Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:37 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Time to catch that last jam jar!

Just one day or a day and a half of Poetry Month left! There's still time to read each other's threads and leave some love, and truly you are missing out on one of the best parts of NaPo if you're not checking out the other threads. <3

How did poetry month go for you? Achieve all your dreams and goals? If you wrote a poem you're particularly proud of why not post it in the publishing center? (If you make a comment in someone else's thread today I'll even give you 100 poetry points! ~ Just let me know.)

Also my contest is still open Right Here!

1227 Reviews

Sun May 01, 2022 10:39 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

You did it! You all did an incredible job for NaPo this year! Thanks for sharing your poetry, hope you had fun! :]

Now Please remember to claim your badges in the Badge Info Thread (ie. Did you complete 5 poems? 15? 30? did you write 10 comments or attend 5 poetry jams? there's a badge for that!) It is a big help for the moderator team if you claim your badges and number your poems in some way. Feel free to comment in that thread if you have any questions.

(And if you can't get enough poetry, check out the information about May Haiku )

Until next time ~

Only 335 Jam Jars until NaPo! <3

1227 Reviews

Sat May 14, 2022 4:30 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

And that's a wrap!

All badges have been awarded and this year's NaPo Recap has been posted. This year we finished up with approximately 735 poems posted during National Poetry Writing Month! That's incredible!

"I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy..."
— Unnamed Girl from "Mean Girls"