Young Writers Society

Historically Inaccurate Fantastically Fantastic Contest

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:44 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

Hi there, people of YWS!

Sooo, my writing club (clubs/1819) is holding a contest at the moment. Well, technically, it's holding a few, but only one by me so far. :D

I decided to post it here, too, so that everyone and not just Writer's Club subscribers get a chance to enter. You're welcome! *annoying smile*

Prompt: Write a short story about a figure from history (example: Cleopatra), but be as crazy and wild with it as you can (example: Cleopatra invents a time machine in ancient Egypt and is transported to modern-day Scotland, where she must slay the Loch Ness Monster). Don't worry about it being historically accurate, just have fun! (Unless historically accurate stories are more fun to you.)

Rules: Must be finished and handed in by March 10th, please. Must be rated 16+ or less (i.e., no F-bombs or graphic sex scenes/sexual content, but minor swear words are allowed). Has to be under ten pages (no word limit so long as it does not exceed ten pages). If your story is a full ten pages, it must be broken up into two parts, with each part being five pages.

Exceeding ten pages will mean disqualification.

You can post your story here by copying and pasting it in, but only if it's short. If it's a few pages, you must post it as you normally would, through the Publishing Center, and post the link to it to this forum.

If you don't post a link to it, at the very least PM me so I know you're participating. ;)

If it's short enough to copy and paste here, please do so with the title and spoilers.

First and second place winners will be selected within a week of the contest ending. First place will win:

300 Points and Three Reviews by Me

Second place will be awarded:

100 Points and Two Reviews by Me

Anyone that wants to judge can PM me. Winners will be selected based on creativity, originality, technical flawlessness (a lack of typos/grammar missteps/punctuation problems), character development, and pacing.

You can also post a link to your story on the club forum dedicated to prompts, which can be found HERE: clubs/1819/forum/71975

You should also check that forum out to find other great contests the Writing Club is hosting. :wink:

(Subscribing to the club is in no way necessary to enter this contest, though it is appreciated!)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Have fun! :D
Last edited by deleted30 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:21 pm
deleted30 says...

Come on, guys. The contest is ending Monday the 24th! If you plan on submitting something, now is a really really really good time.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:16 pm
WritingWolf says...

I would be quite interested in participating in this. But I don't have anything that fits the requirements, and do not think I could finish one in time.
If by any chance you decide to extend the deadline I'd love it if you could PM me and let me know. :)
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

Random avatar

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:22 pm
deleted30 says...

@WritingWolf, despite people being interested, we haven't had any submissions so far so I guess I might as well extend the deadline a bit.

Contest now ends March 10th. How does that sound? :)

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:39 pm
WritingWolf says...

Lovely! I'll see if I can get something done by then. :) Now I just need to pick a historical figure...
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:38 pm
Spotswood says...

I thought it ended by the 10th...
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

Random avatar

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:33 am
deleted30 says...

@Spotswood, it ends on the 10th now, but before that it was set to end on the twenty-fourth of February. I changed the date in the opening post to reflect that.

Come on, guys! The deadline is (once again) nearing. Now's a really good time to submit your story. :smt003

Sometimes wisdom came from strange places, even from giant teenaged goldfish.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena