z

Young Writers Society

Report a site bug

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:26 pm
Angelreader77 says...

I'm not sure if this is a bug but I don't know where to report this so...

I'm using Firefox 17.0.1 and Windows 7. I can't see the CometChat bar. It hasn't been there for the past few days and I thought it was something to do with slow internet and all. It wasn't there today either and I thought my computer was doing something weird.
Then, I visited this page ( viewtopic.php?f=12&t=96158) and bam! CometChat bar appears. Even though I couldn't see the bar the day before I had apparently been online because there were some messages there. But when I went to another page, say back to the Lounge, the chat bar disappeared again. The chat bar doesn't appear on my screen except when I'm on that page. I've tried all pages but the chatbar only appears on that page.

*EDIT: Chatbar appears on this page too! viewtopic.php?f=12&t=96163&start=15 Except it only appears on the 2nd page of that topic. :/
"The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears or the sea." --Isaac Dinesen

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:29 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Everyone ->> The server went down for 1.5 hours today, December 18 from approximately 7:30 am GMT to 9 am GMT. The error was on the part of our hosting provider, but it seems that everything is working fine now.

Angel ->> Sounds like a caching issue maybe. Try holding down shift + F5. That'll tell your browser to refresh everything.

AriaAdams ->> That's a very odd issue, and I'll look into it. Is it possible that you could try it again, and then send me a copy of the comment you were trying to post? Thanks.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:26 pm
crossroads says...

@Nate ~ looks like everything is ok now with my posting on people's walls.. I tried a couple of times and it works normally..
But the notification thing is still there. It looks like this:
http://public.fotki.com/nemo-123/yws/image.html
And there's no such post or reply anywhere on my wall :s

Oh, I forgot.. I'm not on Mac/Lion/Chrome anymore.. Now this is iPad/Safari, so perhaps that's what makes a difference..?
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:34 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Nate,

When in a literary work, if you click the "jump to comments" button on the side, you are redirected to the main literary works page, instead of the comments.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:02 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Griffinkeeper wrote:Nate,

When in a literary work, if you click the "jump to comments" button on the side, you are redirected to the main literary works page, instead of the comments.

Same thing happens when you click the 0 or 1 reviews sorters in the Green Room.
Got YWS?

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:56 pm
Celdover says...

I'm having the same issue with Green Room that Lauren described. This also happens if I try to use the Oldest and Newest sorters.

Using Google Chrome, version 23.0.1271.97 on Windows 7.
Lumi: I hate it when plans require faith in competence.
Jagged: You should know better by now.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:40 am
Kale says...

Temporary workaround to the above:

If your browser allows you to see link URLs when you hover over them, hovering over the links to Oldest, Newest, (and in the left sidebar) All, 0 Reviews, and 1 Reviews will reveal a URL like this:

Code: Select all
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/?WORDS&WORDS

What you'll want to do is copy that text after the question mark for the link you want and type it up (or paste it if you can) after the greenroom.php that's already in your address bar.

Example: I want to see works with only 0 reviews, so I hover over the 0 Reviews link and see the text "?zero&new" at the end of the URL. I then type that "?zero&new" after the greenroom.php to get this URL:

Code: Select all
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/greenroom.php?zero&new

Hitting enter (or the go to button) will bring up the Green Room with only works with 0 reviews from newest to oldest.

You can also mix and match some of the words. For example, "?zero&old" will bring up works with 0 reviews from oldest to newest. The order doesn't matter so long as you don't mix two of the same types (new/old and zero/one are of the same types respectively).
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:44 am
musingsmutterings says...

The same thing happening to AriaAdams is happening to me quite frequently.

425 Reviews

Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:24 am
Nate says...

Thanks all for the reporting the broken links. The issue seems to be fixed now.

What happened is that I added a "base href" tag to the header to make the stylesheets in profiles work (if you look at your address bar, you'll notice that profile urls are much more user-friendly now). Without that tag, stylesheets didn't work in profiles. But apparently with that tag, it broke a lot of links in various areas.

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:51 pm
noninjaes says...

Using chrome and windows 7.
When I try and upload a banner image as a png file, it shows these error messages written in a coding language and the banner ends up just black - no image.
When I upload a jpeg for the banner, it works, but the image is pixelated and of a really low quality even though other programs see it fine. (it is already in the right size.) This second bit was just me derping with my image editor.
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:41 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

Using Chrome, I dunno what version. When I try to upload a banner, this happens

Spoiler! :

Oh and then all of YWS glitches horribly, like text fades on PMs and stuff.

Furthermore, whenever somebody replies to a comment of mine on someone's wall, I get anywhere from double to, like today, 35 notifs for that one comment.

Edit edit edit: it does the notifs thing repeatedly, multiple times, and whenever I try to edit my portfolio, it does this:

Spoiler! :
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

425 Reviews

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:05 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

The uploading of banners with a .png extension works now.

Italian ->> I'll take a look and try to find out what's going on with notifications. On the 502 bad gateway, there's nothing I can do on my end. That's a DNS error.

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:09 pm
View Likes
Karzkin says...

I just submitted a poem, and it was submitted three times. Before you ask, no, it's not because I was impatient and hammered the submit button multiple times :P
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

All Hail the undisputed king of the YWS helicopter game.

425 Reviews

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:13 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Karzkin wrote:I just submitted a poem, and it was submitted three times. Before you ask, no, it's not because I was impatient and hammered the submit button multiple times :P

Deleted the double entries. I'll take a look and see what's causing that because you're not the only one.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:34 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

I do believe this counts as a site-unusable bug.

YWSfrontpagebug1.jpg
YWSfrontpagebug2.jpg

Browsers: IE 9.0.8112 and Google Chrome 23.0.1271

This is visible both logged in and out.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

If I were a girl in a book, this would all be so easy.
— Jo March