z

Young Writers Society

Squills 2/9/13

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:57 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

The thread you've stumbled into is the equivalent of a YWS newspaper, with each post in this thread being a news article. The focus of this paper is to give out a summary on the happenings of YWS at any given day and special features which tell about the new trends in YWS and current events. This feature runs all week long, featuring special coverage during events and certain occasions.

All members are welcome to submit their own news items. Keep in mind that all postings must comply with the YWS rules.

If you're an avid reader and want to pitch in or advertise or a concerned YWSer who wants to comment or ask us, then do so in the office at the Reader's Corner down below.

Reader's Corner
Spoiler! :
Submitting Articles
Submissions will be taken over the span of the day. Tomorrow, this thread will be locked and a new one will take its place. Anyone can post a news article or column as long as the topic is new, fresh, current and about the YWS or writing, art and humanities, is family-friendly and follows YWS rules.

Shameless Plugs
Why not advertise your newly constructed blog, your recent literary submission or your newest thread here at Squills? Just PM AlfredSymon and we can quote your advertisement for you as a shameless plug!

Letters to the Editor
Have any questions, comments or sggestions? Then share them to us please and let it be answer in public for all the readers' ease :D ! Please PM AlfredSymon for any letters for the editor.

Creative Staff
Spoiler! :
Technical Adviser: Griffinkeeper
Editor-in-Chief: AlfredSymon
General Correspondent: SparkofDoubt
Columnist: Clarity
Community Reporter: ShadowVyper
News Reporter: megsug
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

308 Reviews

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:57 pm
AlfredSymon says...

This Week's Star Reviewers
The stars seem aligned this time...

Let's welcome this week's ultimate star reviewers!

Kyllorac
The man who confused us with his/her gender is back in action to take third! His style? All on jotting down of everything he saw, heard and read in the piece which he didn't like. In other words, he's doing one of the best kinds of reviews! Let's give Kyll a pat on the back!

PenguinAttack
Our local Global moderator is taking YWS by storm! And when I say storm, I mean a squall of good ol' reviews for everyone to ponder and consider! Let's congratulate Peng for a job well done!

dogs
Dogs is back to claim YWS's doggiest position, the topmost throne of the Leaderboards! Dogs is no ordinary kind of reviewer since he doesn't only comment, but he tries to give examples and instances to push the author on the right track. Let's give Dogs a round of applause!

And that's the top three for the week. What you need to do next? Take inspiration in the work they've done and get reviewing!

308 Reviews

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:59 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Shameless Plugs

Griffinkeeper wrote:Do you like YWS? Do you find yourself writing stories about the people on YWS? Do you want yourself immortalized in YWS Fan-fiction? If you answered yes to any of the above, then you should join The YWS Fleet.

Squills wrote:It's the month of love again and how should we celebrate it? By interviewing people about love, love and love! Watch out for Squills' February special, Share the Love! Every Mondays to Wednesdays, Sundays and Valentine's Day this February.

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:56 am
View Likes
megsug says...

The Very First YWStival! Coming Soon!

Can you hear the horns? The drums? The cheers?

That would be the YWSival, quickly approaching!

The mods have got a great week planned for us from the 10th, this Sunday, to the 16th. Starting with ‘Post Your Points Away Sunday' to 'Casual Friday’ there will be a day for every kind of YWS-er. There’s a special theme for every day next week, ending in the Grand Finale on Saturday. Get the entire list of themes and their corresponding days here.

However, for you seekers of glory and fame, the fun does not end there! Two rulers will be chosen for each day.

With fun waiting around every corner, this coming week is not the week to miss.

Want updates on how the festivities are going?
Test

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:23 am
View Likes
Shady says...

New Arrivals

Gurveer14 hasn't had a chance to post anything yet.

LearningQuest too has refrained from posting. But I'm sure with a bit of encouragement and a friendly welcome, they'll open right up.

ToxicRabbit is a girl from Virginia who likes pink, and to write poetry. You can read her work here.

TaylorWeasley is a Harry Potter fanatic. Team Griffindor!

zechielava has chosen not to post anything. Go welcome them and encourage interaction!

elliebee is a wise lass. Her first status update commented about how writing sets her mind free. I'm sure we all can agree.

euristatum hasn't had a chance to post anything, but I'm sure once they make some friends, they'll give us wonderful pieces to read.

spottedkit1999 has an interesting profile picture. I'm sure she has an interesting personality to go with it.

link is a friendly lass with lots of enthusiasm. I'm sure many of you can find a friend in her.

None of them chose to post in the Welcome Mat, but you can go welcome them on their profile pages.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

308 Reviews

Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:58 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Share the Love
This month of love, hear tips and experiences from our own YWS writers about writing romance and, well, love itself!

Good evening everybody (morning to those who're in a different time zone)! Here we are in Squills' newest featurette, Share the Love, wherein we can hear from our own YWS writers about the month of hearts!

Do you know who's our current featured member? Why, you're right! It's magpie94! Not only did our guest commended on being a featured one, but she also shared the love by giving in her preferences for romance.

AlfredSymon: Good day, Magpie94, our very lovely featured member!
How do you do?

magpie94: I'm quite well, thanks.

Alf: So, you're featured. Did this surprise you?
Or are you confident that some day you will be?

mag: Oh, it definitely surprised me. I'm kind of new here, and when it happened, I was shocked. My roommate couldn't get me to stop talking about it.

Alf: Wow! So your roomie's a part of YWS, too?
mag: No, she just quietly supports me. She's a math major, and doesn't really like writing. I talk about YWS a lot around her, so she knows how this place is.

Alf: Oh, so you're an English major, I presume?
mag: I am an English major. English education.
I hope to be an editor someday.
But I'm getting a teaching degree just in case.

Alf: Simply lovely! You're hopes and dreams barely differs with ours at YWS
What do you think caused you to be featured?

mag: Well, I leave a lot of reviews, and I always strive to be helpful and nice. A little encouragement goes a long way.

Alf: That is truly right, Mag.
What led you to join the YWS?
Where did you discover the site?

mag: Well, I was trying to find a new writing website home after inkpop went defunct. I stumbled across this site, read some pieces, decided they were good quality, and I signed up.

Alf: Wow, that must mean you're a reader!
If you don't mind me changing the topic, might I ask that you think February is a good time to read romance?

mag: I do read quite a lot. That's the first step to writing well.
Well, I think that anytime is a good time to read romance. We don't need the greeting card industry to tell us that. But I suppose if you wanted to get into the festive spirit, February would be an excellent time for reading romance.

Alf: Yes, spirit is important. In reading love stories, what specific subgenre do you find more appealing?
Teen? Young Adult? Adult? Comedy? Mystery?

I tend to like Young Adult, though I'm rather picky.

Alf: What would you pick up at a bookstore, then?
mag: Well, in particular, I'd pick up a John Green book. He is the master of young adult romantic fiction.

Alf: Really? Well then what key point in those novels of him do you deem important in other literary works?
mag: The way he puts words together is truly beautiful. "My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations" is a quote from his newest novel, The Fault In Our Stars. He's a lovely wordsmith. I appreciate all literature like that.

Alf: So you think that smiting words into poetic lines is perfect for romance, right?
How about poetry? What makes a poetry about love lovely?

mag: Oh, yes. I think it's how the poet focuses so much on that other person. Love poetry is really quite selfless when it's written right.
Alf: Wow. Beautiful

Alf: On choosing the right romance read for February, what do you suggest?
mag: I highly suggest the book I previously mentioned, The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. It's about the love between two teens battling cancer, and what they discover about life along the way.

Alf: Mmm hmm. Got any last words to our readers about romance fiction or poetry, Mag?
mag: Yes. Read as much as you can, then quote it to your sweethearts. Everyone likes that.

Alf: Hahaha! Especially at this time, huh?
Well anyways, that's all for now!
Thanks for the lovely audience Magpie94!
Mag: You're welcome. It was a lovely interview!
Alf: Farefarren, my dear, and continue being a YWS help-out-hero!
mag: bye!

With a goodbye does our show comes to a close today. Ready for reading? I do!

Wait for more of Share the Love at this week's Squills!

"Death is cheap, and so is life, but a reputation is not easily recovered."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi