z

Young Writers Society

Snowed In

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:58 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"I agree," said Briar, putting her contemplation on pause.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:51 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

"It would be rather nice if we could find anything beyond the bunkers," Nubes said, right after Lasan gave him a nervous glance. "But, in any case, I doubt they are safe to stay near, particularly because we don't know if the creature is still alive or not."

Lasan sighed, staring at the ground. "Yeah," he said. "As long as I can stay warm out there."

"That'd be ideal," Nubes said with a nod.
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

95 Reviews

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:48 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"We could gather materials for a fire from the rubble," Briar suggested offhandedly, "Some of the blankets might not be burned up as well if our luck has turned in the last few minutes."

he/they

299 Reviews

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:42 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Lasan shrugged. "I don't know if there's much of anything left," he said, grimacing as he remembered that also applied to their food (though he still had a few packets in his coat), "But that'd be nice, yeah."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:40 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"It's worth a shot," Ryder agreed. Lust was beginning to suspect that something had happened with him in the time that she'd been gone, but she didn't have the chance to ask for a full story right now.

"I also agree," she said. "Even a little flame is better no fire."

Gluttony gave a nod from beside her, continuing to suck on his finger.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

299 Reviews

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:41 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Walking around the others, Nubes made his way past the hallway's door and out into the room beyond. The door to the staircase was now a crumbled mess leaning against a neighboring wall - not a great sign. If that wasn't enough, the impressively-sized holes, scorch marks, and flickering lights suggested a few of the gas lines had run through this room. No weird smells, strange hisses, or ooze that Nubes could recognize, though.

"Let's get going," Nubes said, as Lasan showed up behind the hallway doorframe. "It doesn't precisely look safe, but we do have a couple of people who can help us navigate our way up."

And that was when the lights, with a few popping and crackling noises, decided to go out. Because of course they would.

95 Reviews

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:54 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Briar stepped instinctually closer to the others, her shoulder brushing against Lust's arm. Her grip tightened on her gun.

"We move slowly," she said, presumably needlessly, "We don't know if that think can see in the dark." Or if it could see at all. That last bit didn't seem important.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:42 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Herobrine nodded in the darkness, momentarily forgetting that no one could see his response.

"That sounds like the best plan," he said. "I can cover the floor with my darkness to make sure we don't fall onto something dangerous - we just have to be careful to avoid the walls for now. I'm not sure I can handle keeping them covered."
mage

queer and here.

299 Reviews

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:40 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

His eyes quickly adjusting to the darkness, Nubes followed Briar's advice and walked slowly through the sea of blues and grays. He navigated around dark spots on the floor, grabbing onto Lasan's scaly paw. And the lizard flinched. Oops; Lasan clearly hadn't adjusted as well as Nubes. Still, it only took a couple seconds for Lasan to figure out what had happened, if the sigh of relief was anything to go by.

"Lasan is a tad wide, but I think we can make it work," Nubes said, staring back at the others. He could just about see the outlines of their faces now, which reassured him a bit. Losing any of his senses, even one that was weaker than others, always threw him off.

95 Reviews

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:51 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Briar was thankful, for once, not to have backup. The only person capable of that job whom she trusted to do it was Queenie, and Queenie would have frozen up in this situation. Kind of like how Briar's instincts were telling her to now.

She forced herself to step carefully forward, flicking on the safety on her gun and reaching ahead to use Nubes as a guide for where she was going.

This was fine. She could do it. It wasn't like this was unlike any of the drills she'd stayed up late doing anyway, though this involved significantly less broken glass, and she had the luxury of shoes. She wasn't even blindfolded.

She took a steadying breath and continued forward. Once there was light, she would be blinded for a moment, so she would have to keep her other senses at attention. If that thing was out there, a moment of blindness could be deadly.

She'd begun to think of it like a game. The kind she and Queenie played around the manor. A strategic game of cat and mouse, both of them armed, neither knowing what the other was armed with. First one to require medical assistance lost.

Briar was good at that game. She could be good at this too.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:06 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Herobrine took a deep breath.

And then he let his darkness cover the floor again, feeling as it spread throughout the hallway. He could make it go farther if he had to, but he would keep it simple for now - he didn't want to overuse his magic when he still wasn't sure of its boundaries.

In the darkness, Gluttony let out a whimper.

The noise was quickly followed by his sister offering soft words of reassurance, too soft for him to pick up on when he was focused on other things.
mage

queer and here.

299 Reviews

Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:37 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Well, feeling Herobrine's darkness creep under Nubes's paws was unsettling enough to raise the fur on the back of the leopard's neck, but the feeling faded away as quickly as it had come.

"Who should take the lead?" the leopard said. "I feel like someone like myself would be much more fragile than, say, a god who can control darkness."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:39 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"I can go first," he offered, understanding the implied request. He slipped past the rest of the group and went to the front of them all, eyes only just now beginning to adjust to how dark the hallway had become.
mage

queer and here.

299 Reviews

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:02 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

"Er, assuming that you can see?" Nubes said, watching as Herobrine slowly moved to the front. "You might be a god, but you look remarkably human - does that impact your senses?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:47 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"It did before," he admitted. "It still does now, unless I change my eyes so I can see better in the darkness. The way my eyes looked before are how they really looked - I can see perfectly fine in the darkness if I don't make them look like a human's."

There was a pause, and Herobrine - realizing keeping his eyes the way they were was useless - carefully removed the contacts he had been wearing all along to reveal perfectly white, glowing eyes.

The hallway easily came into view around him.

And when it did, he saw that Lust and Gluttony were both giving him a curious look.

"God?" Gluttony questioned.

Herobrine nodded. "You missed the conversation earlier," he said. "My real name is Herobrine - Ryder Salvai is an alias. I'm my world's god of darkness and the night."
mage

queer and here.

In any free society, the conflict between social conformity and individual liberty is permanent, unresolvable, and necessary.
— Kathleen Norris