z

Young Writers Society

Vulgar Language Reminder

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:38 pm
Nate says...

Rule #2:
2. Keep all comments clean! For stories and poems, one may use vulgar language, but this is not the case with comments. All inappropiate comments will be edited.

There have been two instances recently where members have been banned because of using vulgar language. If you don't agree with the policy, then find another web site. But for those who genuinely would like an explanation, the explanation is this:

Firstly, this is a site for young writers. Our youngest member is 8, and there's quite a few under 14. Secondly, a real writer does not have to resort to vulgar language; remember, the use of vulgarities is the mark of a poor education. Thirdly, I will not let this site become like many others where vulgarities run rampant to the point that they're included in topic titles.

As a sidenote, the two members were banned more so because of how they responded to warnings than because of the language.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:32 pm
Snoink says...

If you find a story or poem where you are tempted to use vulgar language, stop. Ask yourself, "What am I trying to say? Will this help the writer?" Most likely, the answer is no. If you're frustrated with some work, then you're more bound to have that kind of language peep up. The best thing to do, in that case, is wait.

If, after waiting, you still are tempted to swear at the person, then ask another critiquer to look at it. It's better that way. And most likely, if that critiquer is good, he'll be able to pinpoint the problems of that story more precisely than you could have done and without the language.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:32 pm
View Likes
Rei says...

There really is only one time swearing is really necessary, and that's if it's appropriate for the characters to talk that way. It's unfair to say that you should never be allowed to use that kind of language because it means you won't be able to tell stories about many kinds of people.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

425 Reviews

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:04 am
Nate says...

Reichieru wrote:There really is only one time swearing is really necessary, and that's if it's appropriate for the characters to talk that way. It's unfair to say that you should never be allowed to use that kind of language because it means you won't be able to tell stories about many kinds of people.

Not sure if you were referring to Snoink or to me, but I don't want there to be any misconceptions. If you read the rule, it clearly says: "For stories and poems, one may use vulgar language,..."

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:08 am
Elizabeth says...

Does this rule also apply for Blogs? Because, generally, I swear a ton in those... because.... *shrugs* well... it's my blog.

So I was curious to know if THEY counted too... because if they do I'll have to delete my newest entry... *coughs*

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:12 am
Snoink says...

... oh dear, I hope vulgar language is allowed for blogs. Or at least controversial stuff... :?

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

685 Reviews

Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:01 am
Rei says...

I was responding to Snoink.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:10 am
Snoink says...

I said when you find a story or poem. ;) That's when you're commenting.

Writing it is a completely different story.

685 Reviews

Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:08 am
Rei says...

Oops! I really gotta pay more attention. Sometimes I think I might have a minor learning disability because I always miss stuff like that if I read too fast.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:24 am
Crayon says...

I really do dislike it when people just swear without any good reason, ok if you need to do it for your Characters sake do it but dont swear all over the place just cause your p***ed off you'll end up with that as a repuation, theres a giurl here at hostel (I wont name names) and she never stops swearing! its totally gross, her twink fell off the desk and she went mental!
Trying to survive "sweet sixteen."
---
<love> is sweet -suicide- and {[you]} are my LATEST a.t.t.e.m.p.t

425 Reviews

Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:11 pm
Nate says...

The Black Rose wrote:Does this rule also apply for Blogs? Because, generally, I swear a ton in those... because.... *shrugs* well... it's my blog.

So I was curious to know if THEY counted too... because if they do I'll have to delete my newest entry... *coughs*

That's a good question, and something that I haven't give much thought too. But, blogs would fall under the story/poem category since they are kind of stories about one's personal life. Besides, the blogs are personal space; they're set away from the public areas of YWS.

So, the rule does not apply to blogs.

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:54 pm
hekategirl says...

What about having a rating for blogs/blog entries like there is for poems/stories? because for people who really don't to read vulgar content it might be a little useful. Just a thought :D
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:42 am
thegirlwhofateloves says...

:oops: this is me...sorry...my problem is that I write like I talk, but I'll take great care to stop swearing when I post! by the way, does it count if we star out certain letters in certain words? :D
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:30 pm
View Likes
musicroxslife says...

I agreee people shouldn't use this language around people who aren't that old. lol ok i should dumb now.

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
— William Shakespeare