z

Young Writers Society

"Read / Write" Is Now "Discover Works" (and other changes)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:16 am
View Likes
Nate says...

The header has now been simplified and changed to a great extent. So, be prepared to click in the wrong area for the next week or so as your spatial memory readjusts!

So what specifically has changed?
- All resources links have been moved to the footer.
- All about links have been moved to the footer.
- Groups section is gone. All groups have been converted into Clubs (aka Pages)
- Pages have been renamed to clubs.
- Read / Write changed to Discover Works. I think this sounds better and a little less boring.
- Storybook RPGs added to header. It's the sixth most trafficked area of YWS so it needed a space.
- Submit added to header.

Also, Writing Gooder will be leaving us soon. The blog just never worked out in the end. Instead, it'll be replaced with an official YWS blog here on YWS. Look for that soon.

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:20 am
View Likes
Yuriiko says...

So I see. :D

Thanks, Nate!

But I'm wondering why "Discover Works" is in bold text?
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:24 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

You are too awesome!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:27 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Yuriiko wrote:But I'm wondering why "Discover Works" is in bold text?

Read / Write was originally bolded as a compromise. Some members didn't like it coming sixth in the list of links up top, and worried that it would receive less attention. So to alleviate that concern, it was bolded. Thus, seems only appropriate to continue with the bolding. This way, it helps ease the transition some.

Plus, in the new format, it's highlighted extremely well; there's a very nice symmetry to the links with Discover Works directly in the center.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:43 am
View Likes
Firearris says...

When it comes to the blog on here, will it be kind of like the old YWS Blog you had? :D

Also, I like most of this, but for my personal opinion I don't really like the change to usergroups/pages/clubs. I think it was easier to navigate before in that section. I like the changes otherwise!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:43 am
View Likes
seeminglymeaningless says...

I like the new layout. Far more efficient - didn't even notice how cluttered the tab system was before.
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:17 am
View Likes
Yuriiko says...

Nate wrote:
Yuriiko wrote:But I'm wondering why "Discover Works" is in bold text?

Read / Write was originally bolded as a compromise. Some members didn't like it coming sixth in the list of links up top, and worried that it would receive less attention. So to alleviate that concern, it was bolded. Thus, seems only appropriate to continue with the bolding. This way, it helps ease the transition some.

Plus, in the new format, it's highlighted extremely well; there's a very nice symmetry to the links with Discover Works directly in the center.

Oh. :mrgreen:

Good work, Nate! :smt001

EDIT: Is it just me or the YWS News is completely gone? I'm sorry for asking too many questions. :wink:
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:54 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Yuri- Yep; YWS News had to go. Never drew that much attention.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:26 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

I like the "Discover Works" change, and I feel like it's way easier to spot. I dunno if we cranked up the font or what, but it stands out a lot. It's wonderful, especially since it's a much prettier name. :D

At the footer, the About/Info is directly beneath the Forum section, which reveals a lot of empty space in the footer. I'm not sure if that's in purpose, but it looks like you could theoretically squeeze the About/Info into the same line as the other sections down there (Forum, Writing, and Support Our Sponsors). I dunno if it's worth fixing or not, but I thought it needed a comment. Otherwise, I like the use of the footer. Years ago on the other forum before we made this major switch, I always used the little forum tab at the bottom. I like footers. :D

And like I mentioned before, the switch from groups to pages will probably be great in the long run. In most groups, people don't ever participate in every activity, but they do like to express their interest in that area. It just seems perfect. :)
I make my own policies.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:11 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

Oh dear. Site Map needs updating again.

JabberHut wrote:I'm not sure if that's in purpose, but it looks like you could theoretically squeeze the About/Info into the same line as the other sections down there (Forum, Writing, and Support Our Sponsors). I dunno if it's worth fixing or not, but I thought it needed a comment.

Agreeing. There's a ton of dead space in the footer at the moment that makes it look odd.

But anyway, the navigation bar is so much less cluttered, it is amazing. It's so odd to see the YWS tab so short, though I do wonder where Leaderboards went.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:51 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Thirding Jab's comment.

And Ky-

Leaderboards at right next to "check your stats" at the bottom of the screenshot.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-09-24 at 6.48.29 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-09-24 at 6.48.29 PM.png (22.17 KiB) Viewed 442 times
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:25 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Also! Also! When I browse YWS on my Kindle, it is sooooo much easier to load and everything because of this format. Before, I would have to flip through six pages to get to the content on every page. Now it's just three. Thanks Nate!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:26 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

Regarding the renaming of Pages to Clubs, everything in the Clubs section is still referring them as Pages. I dunno if you plan to keep it that way or if you're going to completely change all "Pages" terms to "Clubs," but I thought I'd point it out just in case. (For instance, terms like "Hot Pages" or "Discover Pages" at the top and directly below Hot Pages is "Discover YWS Pages to connect with others who share your interests." About halfway down is "New Pages" and "My Pages". Below that for some people is "I administrate the following pages (in order of creation):" and to the right is "Random Pages". But besides the navigation bar, there's no mention of Clubs.)
I make my own policies.

Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door.
— Kyle Chandler