Young Writers Society

Some Minor (Though Noticeable) Changes

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:19 am
Nate says...

Made a few changes today:

The Navigation Menu Up Top
This is now in alphabetical order just to provide some logical cohesion to it. Since some were worried that changing the location of one link to one inch to the right somehow made it less important, I have bolded that one link.

Also added "News" to the header and moved "Market" to under the YWS start button. I'm hoping to make News a major section of the site so look for more integration of it into the rest of the site later on.

Fiction Formatting
Changed the formatting for all fiction pieces such that it's now in line with the formatting of all other topics. The one difference kept is the automatic separating of paragraphs. I fine-tuned that aspect of it so hopefully you won't get as many wide gaps between paragraphs anymore.

Poetry Formatting
Like the fiction area, poetry formatting has been changed to line up with the formatting of all other topics. White space is still preserved, and line breaks are now preserved as well in Internet Explorer.

So that's it. Just a few changes! But, here's a list of what I'll be working on in April:

Upcoming Stuff

YWS Novels
Started working on this in early January, and haven't done anything since (some may remember the Teddy Ruxpin series which were my testing topics for this feature).

The way this feature will work is it will automatically compile together all the chapters for your novel in one easy place. You can also upload a book cover, provide a novel synopsis, and get comments on the novel as a whole rather than chapter by chapter. This is and has been essentially complete for quite some time, but it's the finer details I've been dragging on. Look for this to be completed in the next couple weeks.

YWS Newsfeed and Better Profiles
This is going to be a huge change and will be done in stages. But I'm aiming for something similar to Facebook where your guestbook is the most important aspect of your profile. Your guestbook will be a part of your newsfeed, and your newsfeed will display new literary works you posted, new blog entries, etc. You'll also even have the ability to add status updates.

But unlike Facebook (and more like Twitter), we're going to do away with the Friend system in favor of a Follower system. If you follow someone, their new literary works and blog entries will show in your newsfeed, as will their status updates.

In any case, if that all sounds confusing, that's because it is. I haven't fully figured it out yet, and probably won't until I start working on it. But, it's going to be a major change and will probably have a large impact on the way you use YWS. Look for me to start working on it in the next couple weeks, but don't expect it to be fully done for at least a few months.

However, the better profile aspect of it will be done first.

Activity Center
My YWS will be receiving a small makeover soon. It'll display new reviews you have received, new comments to blog entries, and perhaps a few other things. Look for it to be completed quite soon.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:30 am
Elinor says...

You are a god and a visionary.

*likes*

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:25 am
Galerius says...

Nate wrote:Since some were worried that changing the location of one link to one inch to the right somehow made it less important, I have bolded that one link.

Much appreciated.

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:08 am
captain.classy says...

Nate wrote:Since some were worried that changing the location of one link to one inch to the right somehow made it less important, I have bolded that one link.

Guilty. Thanks much.

I'm excited! The new changes will be greatly appreciated.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:05 pm
Blink says...

YWS Novels looks great! As does everything, really - I'm very keen to see the new profiles. =)
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:45 pm
StellaThomas says...

I like it all! I'm excited now.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:54 pm
Writersdomain says...

Sounds wonderful, Nate! Thank you so much!
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:24 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

How does he do it? I mean, come on! :P
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:26 pm
Kamas says...

I dunno Timmy. Sounds absolutely fantastic Nate.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:27 pm
Sins says...

:thud:
I can't wait for the new stuff!
It all sounds really good! Like Knightley said, how do you do it?
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

425 Reviews

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:34 pm
Nate says...

I have help.
Attachments
monkey_computer111.jpg
monkey_computer111.jpg (40.27 KiB) Viewed 399 times

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:38 pm
captain.classy says...

I'm outside... at a garage sale... people are around, and I just laughed out loud. Thanks.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:14 pm
Sins says...

Nate wrote:I have help.

Wow! I didn't know my mother worked for you! :D
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:25 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

Is that the Library of Congress? Are you trying to tell us something?
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

425 Reviews

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:29 pm
Nate says...

Mr.Knightley wrote:Is that the Library of Congress? Are you trying to tell us something?

I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
— Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom