z

Young Writers Society

Two possible minor changes to the header?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:15 pm
Nate says...

I'm considering making two small changes to header and would like some input before doing so.

The first is reordering the links so that they are in alphabetical order. This would mean that "About" would become first instead of last, and "Read / Write" would be near the end. At the moment, there is no real logical ordering to the links.

The second is moving the links to above the header instead of below it. The reason for this is simply that, sometimes when you go to click something like "New Private Messages" right below the link menu, you have to move your mouse around unnecessarily because you accidentally opened one of the drop-down menus simply by moving your mouse over it. When this begins to happen multiple times, it can be a nuisance.

To reiterate, these would be just two minor changes. One to introduce logic, and the other to remove a small nuisance.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:44 pm
StellaThomas says...

I always thought you had a system behind the order? Putting "Read/Write" near the end seems a bit odd, to be honest.

Other than that, sure!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

425 Reviews

Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:48 pm
Nate says...

Stella Thomas wrote:I always thought you had a system behind the order? Putting "Read/Write" near the end seems a bit odd, to be honest.

Other than that, sure!

I kinda do. It's supposed to be in order of most important to least important, then by popularity. So while blogs are the most popular section of the site, they're not considered the most important and thus get pushed back. But under that system, Read / Write should come before Community, and Market should be last (along with maybe a few other tweaks). So really, any logic to the ordering is quite loose and inconsistent. But, it's also a very minor thing. I doubt anyone would notice after the first week.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:52 pm
Kamas says...

Yes, I agree with Stella that putting Read/Write near the end is slightly odd.
Since that is where the main focus of the site should. On the writing/reading.

Just a thought.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:04 pm
Sureal says...

I dunno. I quite like the three forum options (Community, Read/Write, Groups) being next to each other. It just sort of makes sense. Moving them apart would make things more confusing than anything, I think.
I wrote the above just for you.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:19 pm
Elinor says...

Eh, I like the way the links are ordered, but I'd be fine with moving it above the header.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 pm
Evi says...

Personally, I like the way things are ordered now (who needs logic?) but I'm all for the idea of links popping up above the header.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:16 pm
Lauren2010 says...

I agree with the masses of the order. It seems logical enough to me as it is. If they were to change, I would probably end up rather annoyed because I'd start opening Blogs instead of Community and all sorts of other ridiculousness.

Though, the moving of the links to above the header would be nice.
Got YWS?

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:04 am
Ranger Hawk says...

I like the order of the links; if you change them, I will panic. ;) Just kidding - but really, I am so used to where they are, it's become habit to me, and I'll end up doing exactly what Lauren said above me.

As for the links being above the header, I love that idea. I'm always accidentally scrolling over them.
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:25 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

I wouldn't mind either. I haven't really experienced any issues with the header thing, but I can see why that would get annoying for some people. :/ As for the alphabetical thing, it is a little chaotic the way it is, and some order would be appreciated.

But...I don't care if it never happens. It's not very important in the grand scheme of all things YWS. :P
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:30 pm
Theodorable says...

I think it would be fine to leave them the way they are right now. I like the order and the nusiance thing is just that, we can get over it. Plus the way it looks right now is perfect. It adds a separation to the page. I think it would look kind of funny.
Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole. -Dean, Supernatural

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:21 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

I think it looks better underneath the header, to be honest. :P It sort of acts like a nice border.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:27 pm
Elinor says...

I just wanted to say that I agree. It forms a nice separation between the header and the site.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

425 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:45 pm
Nate says...

Heh, I always forget how even a minor change can generate comments!

In any case, changed the link menu to alphabetical ordering. For those who worry about Read/Write being near the end, look at where it is in regards to the screen: it's almost smack dab in the center.

I also experimented with moving the link menu above the header, and I liked it since it didn't interfere with the YWS News link menu anymore. But too many minor changes at one time can make it hard for people to get used to it. Instead, I kept the link menu below the header, and moved Market to under the YWS start button. I then added a new link for YWS News that includes all the links from the YWS News link menu.

EDIT
However, I may in the future still move the link menu to above the header. That's how it was on the old YWS, and I kinda like it that way since it doesn't interfere with other links that are below the link menu. The primary reason back then for moving the link menu below the header was to place an ad inside the header, which turned out to be a bad revenue move.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:46 pm
Demeter says...

I actually like the new order! I'm glad you changed it back beneath the header. Looks much better.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
— Thomas Edison