z

Young Writers Society

YWS: Apollo Updates Thread

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:53 pm
View Likes
prolixity says...

Tori, you just have to use code. Here's a link.
She reflected. "I prefer stories about squalor."
"About what?" I said, leaning forward.
"Squalor. I'm extremely interested in squalor."

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:40 pm
View Likes
ToritheMonster says...

Ah, thanks. I am terrible with codes. Too bad they're not embedded in the toolbar anymore.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 pm
misstoria says...

I was just curious if the contests page was coming back at some point?
You are more than the choices that you've made, you are more than the sum of your past mistakes. You are more than the problems you create, You'v been remade.

http://writemeaway.blogspot.com/

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:06 pm
Rydia says...

As far as I'm aware, the contests will be back! It's not a priority though so it may take time, but there's nothing to stop anyone from hosting contests in the lounge until then!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:25 pm
DarknecrosisX says...

I'd just like to ask, is there any possibility that the clubs might return, and if so how much of a priority is it? Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Under guises of jovial chatter;
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:28 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

See this thread for more information!

But the quick answer is yes clubs are returning and they should be here by the end of December.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:58 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Rydia covered the short of contests and clubs, so I'm here to cover the long!

Contests: Contests will return, but they aren't a priority and may not return for quite some time. The earliest there'll be back is February. The latest? 2020.

Clubs: Clubs, on the other hand, will return before the end of this year. They'll be pretty much the same as before, but for those who are unfamiliar with them, here is what the clubs will include:
- A wall for quick comments and status updates
- An info area for a description of the club.
- A forum specific to that club.
- Perhaps a blog?

So, no real changes from before. If anyone has suggestions of stuff to include for clubs, I'm all ears.

425 Reviews

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:51 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Profiles have received a slight, though definitely not insignificant, update. They now display all the vital info, along with a person's followers and who they are following.

Portfolios are the only major missing item, and they'll be back sometime next week. After that, expect profiles to go through some radical changes.

425 Reviews

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:26 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

View New Posts has been tweaked to include literary works and reviews.

Notifications have been brought back, with two new types on board. The first new type are notifications for when someone replies to your comment on a literary work. The second new type is for when you are mentioned in a comment.

Still a lot of stuff missing, but I think the only major item at this point are portfolios. Clubs are also somewhat of a major item, but they aren't nearly as important. So I guess I'll start working on portfolios tomorrow.

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:21 am
noninjaes says...

Clubs not important! D: Don't tell Griff! :)
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

425 Reviews

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:30 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Haha, I didn't say clubs aren't important! They are, but not as important as portfolios :)

Anyhow, made some updates to searching. First, the default search in the upper right hand corner looks a lot better now when you search for something. There's no longer all those ugly boxes around the search results.

Second, you can now see all posts made by a user when you click on "See user posts" from their profile. Please note, this only includes posts made in the forums. For reviews and literary works, I'll have to build a different search page as those rely on different database tables.

425 Reviews

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:21 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Lots of updates today.

The biggest one was the reintroduction of WriterFeed Pad. Took a while to get it running again, but I managed to set it up such that not only is your YWS account linked with it, but changes to your YWS account are automatically reflect in your WF Pad account. That didn't use to be case.

By the way, the setup YWS has with WF Pad is absolutely unique. I'm kind of debating whether to sell the code that makes it happen as I know there's a lot of people who have tried to accomplish the same, but haven't been able to.

Anyhow, the other updates are mostly small stuff. Official Polls now show on the front page for the first time since YWS 3.0 (i.e., August 2009). On the forums page, you can mark forums as read. And when you get a PM, you get a blue box informing you of that fact.

Also did some big stuff to the backend. Took the time today to optimize the database, and load times should improve slightly as a result.

More updates coming down the pipeline. Stay tuned.

425 Reviews

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:14 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Everything on the homepage is now cached. Since 10% of all pageviews are the homepage, that should lighten server resources by a lot.

425 Reviews

Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:52 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Made some changes to the code that should make the people tab load faster, and should make private messages load much faster. This is particularly true for those who are following a lot of people, and/or those who have a lot of private messages.

For example, if you have 1500+ private messages, the average load time seems to be about 30 seconds on first load. After that, it's a couple seconds, but that first load is tedious. But with the code changes, the load time has now been reduced to just a few seconds.

425 Reviews

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:06 am
View Likes
Nate says...

The 'About' page is now done for profiles. It is also now the default view for non-logged in users.

Additionally, users with no avatars will get a prompt on the front page asking them to get an avatar. New users without a bio or a profile style will also get a prompt asking them to do both.

Poetry is like a bird, it ignores all frontiers.
— Yevgeny Yevtushenko