View Likes
LookUpThere says...

I understand. Sorry.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:42 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

TheNewHero, I got upset with you because I had already explained that to you once. Yet, you didn't respond to what I said at all; instead, you went off and posted in several topics how you didn't understand the Facebook Like Button. You chose to ignore me in favor of complaining. That's annoying.

Now, I still don't think you understand. So think of it this way:

When you call someone from your house, is the person you are calling next to you or miles/kilometers away? The latter of course. Yet, you are able to talk to them as if they are standing right next to you.

In effect, using the Facebook Like Button on YWS is like a phone. When you click it, you are dialing Facebook. You are calling Facebook to say, "I like this topic on YWS". So Facebook displays it on your profile. It also responds by saying "[Your name] likes this". Yet, the only people who can hear this conversation are you and Facebook just as if you were on the telephone. Because this is a conversation with Facebook, no one else can hear what you two are saying. That's why you don't really see anyone else liking things on YWS with the Facebook Like Button. Just like they can't hear your conversation, you can't hear their conversations.

And just like the house can't hear your conversation, YWS can't hear your conversation. That conversation between you and Facebook is private.

Now this being Facebook, it will tell you if any of your Facebook friends liked the topic as well. But again, no one else can hear that conversation, including YWS.

Does that make sense? The Facebook Like Button is just one single line of code that acts much like a phone.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:27 pm
View Likes
Evi says...

Nate wrote:Evi, stop using Internet Explorer. Anyhow, fixed.

But quite seriously, dump Internet Explorer ;)

Oh, I know. But the Firefox download says my computer doesn't meet the requirements, and I wanted to wait a bit before getting Chrome to give them time to work out any bugs.

But thanks!
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:08 pm
View Likes
AquaMarine says...

Evi wrote:
Nate wrote:Evi, stop using Internet Explorer. Anyhow, fixed.

But quite seriously, dump Internet Explorer ;)

Oh, I know. But the Firefox download says my computer doesn't meet the requirements, and I wanted to wait a bit before getting Chrome to give them time to work out any bugs.

But thanks!

Chrome is awesome.

As is the like button. :)
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Chrome is awesome; I highly suggest it. Personally, I've come to prefer Firefox more (the "awesome bar" is awesome), but I use Chrome on my laptop since it uses less computing power.

So Evi, don't worry about bugs! If Chrome has any, I haven't seen it. On the other hand, IE has tons of bugs, not to mention gaping security holes. Microsoft has to patch IE every few months because there's always a new team of hackers that found some new way of stealing all your personal information. That doesn't happen with Chrome.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:24 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

(Talking of Chrome's bugs, still won't let me do stuff on YWS sometimes, but it's doing the same to Inkpop another writing site at the moment, so. I just switched to Mozilla).

I'm not sure that I'll use it personally, but it's cool I guess.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun May 02, 2010 1:22 pm
View Likes
Jiggity says...

Chrome is all!
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Sun May 02, 2010 10:56 pm
View Likes
Hannah says...

So what does it show up as when you like something on Facebook, exactly?

Does it say 'Name has liked the story "title" on YWS?' I understand that it's not a link to the topic on YWS, am I correct? Just curious.
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon May 03, 2010 6:19 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Technically it says "So-and-so likes Young Writers Society: [the topic name]", and I've understood that it is a link to that topic, actually.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:56 am
View Likes
LookUpThere says...

Curses. Months late.

TheNewHero, I got upset with you because I had already explained that to you once. Yet, you didn't respond to what I said at all; instead, you went off and posted in several topics how you didn't understand the Facebook Like Button. You chose to ignore me in favor of complaining. That's annoying.

I only recently got to read this. It bugs me worse than anything I've ever read. So here goes, just bothering this post some more, Sorry Nate. I was rude and wrong. It's a privilege to be on this site, not a right. That was not very good what I did there.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:03 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Aw, don't worry about it, Hero. Forgive and forget, right?

Also, this is old! I am moving this to the Archive. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Be led by your talent and not by your self-loathing ... everything beautiful in the world is within you.
— Russell Brand