z

Young Writers Society

Badges Review: Good or Bad?

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:45 pm
Squall says...

I also second what Jiggity and Overeasy said earlier. If a new member joins the site, then how are they going to seek help should they need it? If anything, it'll just make the gap between distinguished members and the newer ones even bigger. This is a site that's designed to help people after all.

I also feel that the nomination system is a bit iffy. There are a few people that are getting badges based more on how well known and popular they are rather than their actual work.

I personally would much rather have the former system back. At least people know where to go to should they need help.

And about people leaving YWS because of stress? That's only because they felt that they might of had gotten into trouble for not doing their "roles". There should had been a clear distinction that the roles on YWS were simply volunteery work (they should had known that).

And about people bragging about their position? Firstly, I didn't recall anyone that abused their power of position, and secondly, don't badges have the same potential of causing power trips?

Basically, what's more important? Helping newer members/others on the site or rewarding people for their efforts?
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:54 am
Nate says...

Andy, we've been through all that... quite through. If you want, suggest changes that could improve the current system. But more than 70% of the site voted for the badge system, and I really rather not rehash those debates.

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:09 am
OverEasy says...

I don't want to get rid of the badges at all, but maybe there could be another system that would allow newer members to see who to go to for help. I know there are mods and all that jazz, but sometimes I think the idea of going to the mods can intimidate people at first, especially when they're still learning the site. Maybe even just a "buddy" type thing? Just regular members that have been hanging around for a while and are more then willing to help answer your questions?

Just an idea :)
Life is for living.

425 Reviews

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:13 am
Nate says...

OverEasy wrote:I don't want to get rid of the badges at all, but maybe there could be another system that would allow newer members to see who to go to for help. I know there are mods and all that jazz, but sometimes I think the idea of going to the mods can intimidate people at first, especially when they're still learning the site. Maybe even just a "buddy" type thing? Just regular members that have been hanging around for a while and are more then willing to help answer your questions?

Just an idea :)

I do like that idea a lot. One of the things I'll be doing in the next few month is creating a classifieds section of YWS. That section will replace the Will Review for Food forum while also offering a place for authors to promote their works. There's no reason why I couldn't also allow people to offer help with specific things.

But, I do think a large amount of looking for help from Instructors and JMs has been replaced by the Questions & Answers forum.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:13 am
Rosendorn says...

Didn't Kalyorac suggest something like that? A more official mentor thing, with their own colour.

However, I like the idea of mods being the go-to people. If newer members interact with the mods (You will see them in Q&A often now, plus other forums) then they're less intimidating already. And if everybody's saying that you can go to mods easily and they're more than happy to answer questions, then they seem less big and scary. Also, if you know you have nobody else, you're more likely to swallow your fear and go to them. Or ask a general question, which mods are most likely to answer at one point.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:08 am
Squall says...

Nate wrote:Andy, we've been through all that... quite through. If you want, suggest changes that could improve the current system. But more than 70% of the site voted for the badge system, and I really rather not rehash those debates.

Nate, honestly I have no idea what debates you were talking about, so I apologize if I might of repeated some points that were already mentioned in a thread that I had not seen. I'm not saying that the badge system is bad, I'm just saying that I preferred the former system simply because it makes it easier for newer members to seek help/guidance and that it's a more stable one. In the long run, changing to the badge system hasn't really done much in my eyes.

But if you want suggestions, then here I go. I'm all in for Overeasy's idea, but I'm also thinking about actually promoting YWS as being a site that actually helps people.

I think that you once mentioned that in 'blog comments' and I've been thinking about it. It's not much, but I think you should reconsider the layout of the main page. For example, I don't think "featured works" deserves to occupy quite a considerable portion of the page. I think that space is better suited for advertising things like articles from the knowledge base, site events, squills and the stuff from the "staff picks". I also think that the "new literacy post" section should also be reconsidered.

Consider looking at this site:

http://www.youthline.co.nz/

I think that site makes quite good use of its space. I doubt you would change the layout of the main page, but making vital things like the knowledge base more accessible and "out there" for the average user actually goes a long way.
Last edited by Squall on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:36 am
Jiggity says...

Lol, I wasn't promoting the other system, guys, just saying that my laziness and the placement of the badges has pretty much rendered the process obsolete as I don't check/see them and the whole mousing over them is irritating.

A simple way to correct this I think would be to change the shape/colour/symbol of each badge to reflect what it's talking about.

So, the orange circle and pen can be the standard 1001 posts. And the reviewer circle can be red - and so on, keeping the pen as the central symbol. Or even change that so the Greeter badge is just a smiley face, a reviewer is a scroll, etcetera...

Just a thought.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:59 am
Snoink says...

In general, if somebody has a problem, they usually go to a mod that seems friendly and ask them to do something or they ask something in the questions and answers section... which is quite popular for the newbies now! So don't worry about that so much. :)

I like Jiggity's idea a lot! :D

A simple way to correct this I think would be to change the shape/colour/symbol of each badge to reflect what it's talking about.

So, the orange circle and pen can be the standard 1001 posts. And the reviewer circle can be red - and so on, keeping the pen as the central symbol. Or even change that so the Greeter badge is just a smiley face, a reviewer is a scroll, etcetera...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Nate says...

Snoink is right about the members still finding people to help them out. The Q & A forum has been a huge help in that regard; not just for new members, but for old members as well. And you also gotta keep in mind that half of the Instructors group was inactive; going to one of them for help wouldn't always work.

What all of you have to remember though is that in regards to the badges, I'm not a graphics artist. If one of you can come up with new icons, then awesome. But it's not something I'm going to be able to do. I hate having to repeat this, but YWS is not run by a professional web developer. It's run by me.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:01 am
Snoink says...

All right, I'll fiddle with my tablet some. Maybe I'll come up with something cool! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:40 am
Jiggity says...

We could always hold a contest for best artist/graphic design of new badges, haha, that would get the work done for you, Nate :)
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:08 am
Matt Bellamy says...

I like that idea, Jigs!
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:00 pm
Kale says...

I think a nice feature to add to the badges system would be a review evaluation. At the end of every month or so, those blessed with forumly powers would go through and sample the reviews of the yet badgeless members who were active that month. With regards to reviewing, especially, I think this would be much fairer to those reviewers who aren't as prolific in reviewing as other members but who still give high-quality feedback. While this would require work, with some other criteria (reviewed at least 5 pieces that month; has at least 25 total reviews; etc.) and the help of the mods/volunteers, I think it would be doable, or it could even act as an extension of the nomination system. Maybe a list of qualifying members could be populated and posted each month so that members could go through and nominate members off that list to receive the badges.

/incoherency
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

425 Reviews

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:35 am
Nate says...

I like that idea Kyllorac. Maybe I can come up with a system like that but automated in some manner.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:46 am
Kamas says...

Expanding on Kyllorac's idea and the one of automating it: Why not have an option when a review is posted, if some sees a great review they can click that option. Sort of like the 'like' button but rather a nominate button? It would make things easy and accessible even if that option is only avaible to certain people it would up the nominations because of easy access.

Just a thought.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

As the notifications drift in I stop and wonder. Why do they take so long? Do they have adventures we don't know about? I bet they do. When they come I will ask myself. What amazing adventure has this straggling notification been on? How far did it travel, and why didn't it take me?
— TypoWithoutCoffee