z

Young Writers Society

What do you wish readers would ask you about?

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:35 pm
View Likes
Hattable says...

In the spirit of LMS, I was wondering: What's something you wish someone would ask you about your story?

Something buried deep down in the lore, or floating around on the surface but still important to you and typically glossed over. Something that you want to talk about, but never have anyone asking about. Do you wish someone would ask about your character's middle name? Your villain's favorite color? Their real motivation? (It can't just be to rule the world, can it?)

Whatever the question (or answer!) this is the thread for you! If you feel so inclined, you can also include how you'd answer the question, but it's not an obligation! All I'm looking for here are those questions.

(Also! Non-LMS projects are totally welcome here too!)

--

Personally, I'd really like for someone to ask me about the alien cultures and planets in my sci-fi story, 'Avery Trent'. Mostly, it'd get my mind going and help me figure a lot of this out because I'm not even sure how I'd answer it at the moment, but sometimes that's also the point of questions we wish we were asked, haha.
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:33 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas says...

In terms of my LMS probably I'd like to be asked about a magic system. Whether it exists, what it's like. I'm worried when I introduce it it's going to be too sudden for readers.

In terms of my other Camp NaNo project I'd like to be asked where the story takes place, if for no other reason than it would give me a chance to talk about Scotland :P I'm keeping it generic so it doesn't feel like a "Scottish" story, but like it's got the word "Tay" in it for a reason xD

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:40 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

SO do we ask about it here as a well? Cuz if so, let 'er fly in the magic @BiscuitsLeGuin

I'd like for people reading my LMS to ask about Malcolm and his upbringing/quarrel with Carris

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:24 pm
View Likes
shaniac says...

I want people who are currently reading my LMS novel to ask me how the club that Patsy and Chloe joined works because I have a sort of general idea of how it works/initiated into the club, but I have separate problems/ideas that steam from that xD
Shaniac starter kit: you must be fond of wind, squeaky shoes, and moldy bread.

You're like the Flash but in reading - @scribbleinks

The hardest thing about growing up is the ground.

141 Reviews

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:40 pm
View Likes
Hattable says...

Oh, @Messenger, if someone feels so inclined they can go ahead and prompt an answer for the question someone else brought up here? So yeah-- I probably should have made that clear in the initial post haha.

So yes, you can ask and Bisc can respond, if she wants to.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:48 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

*cracks knuckles*

Okay, @Hattable, tell us about some alien cultures and planets in Avery Trent.

Tbh I want readers to ask me literally anything about the Chosen Grandma story, because I just want to keep shouting about it and I don't even care what part of the story someone wants to ask about, ASK ME ALL THE QUESTIONS idec I just want to shout about it forever.

Or at least until I actually start my rewrites.

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:53 am
View Likes
Messenger says...

@BlueAfrica can you sum up the chosen grandma in one paragraph without spoiling it?

141 Reviews

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:13 am
View Likes
Hattable says...

nO I didn't mean for you to target mE here D:<

I'm actually caught off-guard right now so I'll have to answer at a later date, haha.

But ya, tell us about the Chosen Grandma, @Blueafrica!! What's her name? jk Serious question, having never read the story so dunno if this was ever covered, what was her life like in her youth?

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:25 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@Messenger I *could* use my pitch, but where's the fun in that? So instead I'm going to answer this with whatever I can write right now instead.

83yo Edna Fisher lives in a nursing home that's probably in Pennsylvania or somewhere, and she hates it there. One day, a wizard comes along and tells her she's the Chosen One, destined to defeat a sorcerer named Redway, who's been killing Knights with his army of dragons. That sounds a lot better than sitting around the nursing home until Edna dies of old age, or possibly boredom - plus, Edna's son died in the Knights' service thirty years ago, so she's only too happy to leave the nursing home to save them. Armed only with her knitting needles, accompanied by her favorite nurse, Edna sets out. But as she searches for Redway, she realizes that the Knights may not be as good - and her son's death not as straightforward - as she thought.

(Plus sub plots and other characters, including Kiernan, everyone's favorite, but those don't go in the almost-a-pitch.)

@Hattable SO OBVIOUSLY because I'm lame and a total pantser, I don't have much of an answer to this. Edna-in-my-head sprang into being as an old lady with no backstory at all, except that I knew she had x number of siblings and x number of nieces and nephews and grand-nieces and grand-nephews and - at this point - great grand-nieces and great grand-nephews and a dead son and a dead baby-daddy.

But I know a little more now. I think she grew up sort of working class. Her father was abusive, her mother ran away with her while pregnant with her younger sister but was found again. Within the next x number of years (probably just a year or so), her father died and things got better. Well, they got better in terms of not being abused, but, you know, it was tough because her mother had two little girls and had to try to work but it was, like, the 1940s, so at least there was work for women while the war was on. Probably they had a little life insurance from dad, too, so at least he was good for something.

I have no clue what Edna's young life was like after that, except that she would have obviously worked hard to help her mother raise her sister and earn money however she could. I can tell you Edna was always fascinated by magic and wouldn't have minded learning how to use it, but she was really too busy trying to help keep the family together.

So that's probably not the backstory you'd expect, because she's so cheerful and happy-go-lucky, but that's the backstory she's got.

I SWEAR THIS STORY IS FUNNY

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:15 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Honestly, I'd just like my reviewers and readers to ask questions because @blueafrica isn't doing a very good job of questioning anything.

It worries me when people don't question motivations, because it comes down to 3 scenarios:
1. i am in some way intimidating and no one wants to question me
2. no one is consistently reading my story
3. no one is interested at all

And really, Delta has a lot of issues, so I'd like someone to point them out.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:21 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@LadyBird scenario 4: your most dedicated reader sucks at doing character motivation in her own stories and thus rarely questions it in other stories

(Also we're not really far enough in the story yet for to start wondering why people do what they do)

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:30 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

@blueafrica yeah it's early but could they at least wonder about the planet some more? I mean find some doubt and make a conspiracy, dudes.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:56 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Lmao @LadyBird I'm so not a conspiracy theorist.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:28 am
View Likes
Mea says...

Okay, so if I'm honest, I really, really want someone to ask me about whether or not the villain (Nadra)'s plan in Mixing Magic would actually work. Because the characters working against her actually make *so* many assumptions about her goals, and then when she actually reveals her goals, they assume a bunch of other things from that that may or may not be correct. The question might be, was she ever a threat? ;) None of this ever comes up in the story itself, unfortunately.

And there is one particular "plot hole", something in the logic of the magic system, that would enable a certain character to, if she really wanted... well, it wouldn't make the ending bittersweet anymore, just sweet. ;) And I'm not sure what to do with that.

For Eos, I wish someone would ask me about the timelines involved in the parallel realities and why most of the realities are so similar, but then why in some of them it's 20 years later than others because hOLY HECK it's complicated but thankfully I think most of it can slide under the surface of the story but I still want to tallllk about it because I have a whole timeline written out and there are many more details I need to solidify. xD Plus some of those questions *will* get answered in-story, but not until book 3.

I also wish someone would ask me about what happened to Dameon in Mexico. Because... I don't actually know. And it's important.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
— Harold Coffin