The Secret of Tayburn Zoo: 1

by ExOmelas

A/N: I realise this looks abandoned but it's just me trying not to double post in the Green Room

----

The children came every day to the zoo, their iPads and games consoles cast aside at home. As soon as they got there, like clockwork a whole stream of them would burst through the door and run over to the monkey cage. They pressed their faces up against it, the Spectacular Tower of the Tayburn Monkeys. The cage was fairly narrow, but stretched so far into the sky that the children, with their fingers wrapped tightly around the thin black bars, could barely see to the top. They squinted as their gaze drifted accidentally towards the sun, which today beat strongly down on all of them. There were big white dollops of sun cream on the ends of most noses, and it was a good thing parents had insisted on that before leaving the car, because once you saw the monkeys you could never look away again for long enough to put it on.

The monkeys zipped up and down the towering cage, swinging high into the air from ropes, branches, and even each other's tails. At one point, two monkeys sprinted up the side, their fingers and toes slipping into the tiny gaps between bars and springing upwards with perfect accuracy. They turned upside down and walked along the roof into the middle to meet each other using only their feet, then embraced, and dropped.

The children gasped, and clutched each other by the shoulder. But moments before the monkeys would have hit the ground they reached their hands out and grabbed a thick, rough rope. A few swings round in opposite directions, then they were off into the air again, flying just high enough to turn to face each other, then land back down on the rope. Lastly, a bow, followed by literally minutes of applause.

Every day of summer the children flocked from all over the country to see the monkeys of Tayburn. And, once they'd seen all the tricks three times over, and there were many more tricks to come after the Falling Friends, it was time for the frogs. The frogs had elaborate pulley systems for their logs and lily pads, and you got to shout out directions for them to jump from object to object, until they found a path to the other side.

The giraffes played catch, the lion told your future, the penguins taught children to swim, the crocodiles did blind taste testing, and the antelopes competed in the high jump. But somehow nothing compared to the monkeys. It was acrobatics, nothing more. But it was the first time in an excitable eight-year-old's young life where the only word to do it justice was beautiful.

It took a long time for everyone to vacate the zoo at the end of the day. The head zookeeper, Patrick, often had to do circuits of the premises to make sure nobody was sitting in the dark in front of the bat enclosure, transfixed by their wing-semaphore. Tonight he found no lost children searching for their parents, or transfixed teenagers who blushed when they realised how engrossed they'd got in watching the elephants paint their landscapes. It was clearly a trick somehow, and only meant for little kids anyway.

Patrick locked up, but unlike most zookeepers, he locked the door from the inside. This was his home. He breathed deeply in through his nose, but all he could really smell was the sun cream smeared on the door handle. He shrugged - better than rhino dung.

He whistled as he ambled across the wide wooden bridge towards the tropical birds, and smiled as a large toucan joined in. Together, they whistled and sang all the way through the Cheers theme song, eventually earning the applause of a cage of very tired monkeys and some frogs looking up from the pond. Frog applause was strange though. It was rubbery, like someone repeatedly throwing a bouncy-ball at a shoe sole.

With a quick bow to the toucan, Patrick bowed and turned to the monkeys. They were at the other end of the pond from the bridge, their cage ending a few feet before the water. He leaned on the bridge's thick wooden railing, which didn't quite reach his waist, so he had to be careful not to fall in. He'd completely wreck the frogs' pulley system.

"That was a great show today, folks!" he called out.

One of the monkeys vaulted over another's shoulders and propelled herself into the wall of the cage. She clung on as her weight fell backwards in the pendulum swing of momentum. Then, once she came to a stop, she hung lazily from one arm and cupped the other around her mouth.

"Thanks, Pat!"

Hi ExOmelas, I was looking for things to review and found this. Considering how good your other one was I decided Imma try reviwing this one too. So I am going to go fly a kit...correction....go ahead and review this chapter.

First Impression: Wel that was a beautiful hook for the readers at the very end. Works very well. A bit heavy on the description to start things off in this chapter and we don't quite have a main character to follow besides Patrick but it does sound like a really interesting premise.

Anyway let's get to it,

Well that's a great description right there to start things off. Gives quite an amazing picture actually.

Well that's the first time I've heard of something like that. Some really lovely ideas you've presented in this piece.

Well I'm not going to ask how rhino dung might have ended up on that handle at some point for him to be thinking of it when seeing the ice cream..I mean sun cream.

t was rubbery, like someone repeatedly throwing a bouncy-ball at a shoe sole.

I'm not sure if you can describe a sound with a description like that but then I do get what you're trying to say so I supposed it workds well enough.

"Thanks, Pat!"

Lovely ending there. Grabs the readers in right away.

And that's it for that one.

Overall: I love the idea here. I definitely think I made a good decision choosing this to review. The setting is set up pretty nicely and hopefully we shall get more on our main character shortly.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:07 am
Lib says...

Hello hello, Lib passing by! You got a new reader!! In other words I'll be reading your novel!! C:

This is fantasy and I love it already. There's nothing better than talking animals. Not. Kidding. The monkey is amazing. xD Oh and I love your writing style, by the way. ;)

(Also, this means I need to be tagged for future chapters unless this is done.)

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:35 pm
AceDragon wrote a review...

I already love the style. The description of the monkey's act makes you feel like you're standing with the other kids watching and gawking. I do personally wish there was a bit more with the other animals, but given this was just the first part I imagine there is plenty about them later. I would have liked to know a little about what kind of landscapes the elephants paint though, as they live in a zoo. Do they paint from pictures they've seen? Do they paint the zoo? Over all the concept in engrossing and I am eager to read more!

Necromancer14 wrote a review...

hello,

I really like this. It pulls you in and you read it to the end. You get curious about the strange zoo and it's talented animals, and you find yourself wanting to read more.

"The cage was fairly narrow, but stretched so far into the sky that the children..."

This is only a tiny grammar mistake, but you should put an "it" between the "but" and the "stretched." If you don't want to do that, you should remove the comma.

"There were big white dollops of sun cream on the ends of most noses, and it was a good thing parents had insisted on that before leaving the car, because once you saw the monkeys you could never look away again for long enough to put it on."

Haha I like this part; it definitely helps convey the fact about how interesting these monkeys were.

"The children gasped, and clutched each other by the shoulder."

You should put a "they" between the "and" and the "clutched." Or, like I said before, remove the comma.

"or transfixed teenagers who blushed when they realised how engrossed they'd got in watching the elephants paint their landscapes. It was clearly a trick somehow, and only meant for little kids anyway."

I quite liked this part, it was really accurate for teenagers. However, you misspelled "realized." You spelled it with an s instead of a z.

All in all, this was a very interesting beginning. I wasn't expecting the monkey to talk in the end, but when it did, I wasn't that surprised. However, I was curious. How does the monkey talk? Is it enchanted? Is it a secretly transformed human? Is it simply just really smart monkey? I'm guessing the other animals can talk too.

I can't wait to read more!

ExOmelas says...

Oh hey thanks for this! I wasn%u2019t expecting to get any more reviews on something posted so long ago. If you like, I could give you a summary so you could skip to the more recent chapters? No bother if you%u2019d rather not. Also I%u2019m from the UK so it is %u201Crealised%u201D with an s for me :P

Thanks again :D

ExOmelas says...

Those weird % things are what happen when you try to type an apostrophe on mobile xD

You don't have to give me a summary; I like reading!

Mageheart wrote a review...

Hey, Biscuits! As requested, I'm here to review your work. Since I think this is the first work of yours that I'm reviewing, I'll give you a quick explanation of how I write my reviews: I start with a small comments section, where I reply to individual lines of the work. After that, I have an overall comments section where I talk about my thoughts on the chapter.

So let's get to it!

Small Comments

The children came every day to the zoo, their iPads and games consoles cast aside at home.

I like how this first line establishes the time period the story is set in. For some reason, I thought it would be set several decades ago or even a century ago - maybe because the story's basic synopsis reminds me of other stories I've read set in that time?

As soon as they got there, like clockwork a whole stream of them would burst through the door and run over to the monkey cage.

That definitely sounds like what I saw during my last trip to the zoo. :)

There were big white dollops of sun cream on the ends of most noses, and it was a good thing parents had insisted on that before leaving the car, because once you saw the monkeys you could never look away again for long enough to put it on.

I'm not sure why, but I've always loved lines of description like this; it adds more details to the story in a way that isn't just listing off facts. So nice job with that!

These are some pretty cool monkeys! I don't think I've ever seen any monkeys do that before during my trips to the zoo, but something tells me that these monkeys aren't all that they seem~ Or that my local zoo isn't half as impressive as this one.

The giraffes played catch, the lion told your future, the penguins taught children to swim, the crocodiles did blind taste testing, and the antelopes competed in the high jump.

This zoo is definitely sounding increasingly cooler with every new piece of information you reveal. :)

Tonight he found no lost children searching for their parents, or transfixed teenagers who blushed when they realised how engrossed they'd got in watching the elephants paint their landscapes.

I love how you added that the elephants paint landscapes here without mentioning it before; it made even more shocking than it would have been if it it had already come up. Also, I love how you wrote about teenagers - it's so true. You feel silly for liking something "childish" even if that something is as cool as elephant painters.

"Thanks, Pat!"

I knew one of them was going to talk eventually!

Overall Comments

I really loved this first chapter! It definitely got me hooked. My original plan was to just review this chapter unless you requested more reviews, but something tells me I might check out the other chapters in the very near future. <3

Your description is one of your strongest points. Not only does it allow the reader to imagine what's going on - which is always important - it also does so in a unique and interesting way. You wove together description and little bits of worldbuilding, like with the elephant painters and the sunscreen at the monkey cage, and I loved it. I don't use praise description this much, but yours really blew me away.

I do think the chapter could be a little longer, but only so the reader has more of an introduction to Patrick's character. We don't see him interacting with the zoo's visitors, and I feel like that might be a more subtle way to introduce him than having him show up at the very end of the day instead.

After I read through this chapter, I read what you put in a spoiler over in The Crow's Nest. I definitely think this was a great setup for the future plot points to follow, especially with how you revealed that the monkey could talk at the very end instead of earlier on. Knowing that the animals can talk - which probably explains the amazing tricks - makes me wonder how an animal that can't talk is going to fit in with the rest. It almost feels like a novel about having a disability, and I'm really curious to see how you'll handle it.

Thanks for introducing me to such a great story. <3

ExOmelas says...

Thanks for the review Mage! I'm so glad you liked my description - I'm constantly working on balancing having too much and too little xD Happy review day! :D

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:21 am
Oxara wrote a review...

Hey there Biscuits and my god can I just say this short novel is a life saver for my goals of 4 reviews so I fully plan to review 4 chapter of this in the next hour. But anyway onto the review
*side note I going to have to create a new review organizer and my old one is for longer pieces so bare with me a bit

Comments-

They squinted as their gaze drifted accidentally towards the sun, which today beat strongly down on all of them.
This is one example where I am like I WANT MORE IMAGERY. I don't know if its' really possible in third person as I have never written so I can't suggest anything but I was wanting more imagery.

He whistled as he ambled across the wide wooden bridge towards the tropical birds, and smiled as a large toucan joined in.
this almost feel like a change of style. It's where I get really interested in the story when it changes to this almost first person third person style.

Praises-
This is a great short intro. It brings us right into the story and instantly pulls us in with an interesting story.

The third point of view I feel was pretty well done, even if I am not that used to it

The build up to everything, while we knew it was coming, was great!

anyway keep it up

Ox

Hi! So I figured I should at least review the first chapter of this to remind me it's on my list :)

1. Do children really go to the zoo without their phones? I'm intrigued by the world you're building here ;) In all honesty though, I feel like that needs a bit of follow up, some kind of explanation that this zoo is just so fascinating that the children don't feel the need to bring their technology.

2.

Lastly, a bow, followed by literally minutes of applause.
Instead of using the word literally here, you can emphasise the length of applause in a more natural/ descriptive way. It could be 'followed by a stretch of thunderous applause' or 'followed by minutes of loud whoops and appreciative clapping'. The use of literally bothers me a bit because it feels like something we say in speech - it's very vernacular. If the rest of the piece had that kid of vernacular tone then it would fit right in but I'm not feeling that here.

3. Love the little detail of the bat enclosure and the painting elephants! It's very nicely slipped in there and that's a solid paragraph. The other animal's antics are kind of all jumbled together which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's nice to see some more focused details slipped in there as well.

4.
He breathed deeply in through his nose, but all he could really smell was the sun cream smeared on the door handle. He shrugged - better than rhino dung.
This seems odd to me. Sun cream would have likely worn off by evening when it's closing time so there shouldn't be much still smeared on the door anyway and it seems odder still that it would be smelled over the animal smells of your average zoo.

A nice introduction to some very unusual animals! I think the end of the chapter would be more interesting if we already knew if the animals talk in the presence of the children or not. Maybe there could be a short scene where the children discuss how clever the animals are and if they don't talk one of the more jaded teenagers could say that and then we'd get a nice sense of contrast.

It's a bit short to be a full chapter and I'd have liked to understand better who the main characters are. I get the sense it's the monkeys but no one particular monkey is pulled out until the very end and even then not enough to give her a name or a sense of identity. She's still just a female monkey. And maybe that doesn't matter too much but it's nice to have a sense by the end of the first chapter of who we should be focusing on and interested in.

I expect I'll have a few more thoughts by the next section and hopefully I'll get a decent number of reviews done this month and get back to this in a few weeks.

See you around,

~Heather

ExOmelas says...

Oh thanks! I actually forgot I'd mentioned this to you so thanks so much for remembering haha xD

I have a question for you: I almost labelled this a prologue - do you think that would have made sense? I ended up not doing so because the next chapter follows immediately chronologically on from the end of this one, which made it feel not very prologue-ish. But the generalised omniscient tone of this turns into limited third for the next one so maybe I really should separate them in that way?

Thanks again for the review :D

Rydia says...

I think calling it a prologue could help with both the length and the switch in narrator. It's a little borderline because there's no time switch as you say but a switch in narrator is generally the other reason to prologue something so I'd say yes.

And no prob :)

ExOmelas says...

okay cool :)

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:40 am
WritingPrincess wrote a review...

Hey Bisc!

You asked for reviewers, so here I am. I’m not very experienced at reviewing novels, so sorry about that. Hopefully I’ll be able to review all your chapters! So add me to that list to ping when you post more, because I’ll try to review! Anyway...

The children came every day to the zoo, their iPads and games consoles cast aside at home. As soon as they got there, every day like clockwork a whole stream of them would burst through the door and run over to the monkey cage. Then they pressed their faces up against it, the Spectacular Tower of the Tayburn Monkeys. The cage was fairly narrow, but stretched so far into the sky that the children, with their fingers wrapped tightly around the thin black bars, could barely see to the top.

So I think this opening scene worked well. I like the idea of the children being fascinated by the monkeys, rather than being cooped up inside at home on their electronics.
As Shadow said below, I think the double use of every day makes the first two sentences not flow very well. Maybe you could take out the every day in the middle of the second sentence? I think that might help. It’s obviously up to you though.

They squinted as their gaze drifted accidentally towards the sun, which today beat strongly down on all of them. There were big white dollops of sun cream on the ends of most noses, and it was a good thing parents had insisted on that before leaving the car, because once you saw the monkeys you could never look away again for long enough to put it on.

I like the idea of the big white dollops of sun cream.

Ooh, can I see? Sounds very interesting.

Overall, I really really liked your chapter. I’m definitely going to check out the others. It’s quite short, but it does it’s job: it got me hooked.

Sun cream lathered kids, teenagers who love it much more than they admit... it’s a brilliant first chapter.

You really did write it brilliantly. This is quite a short review, but I can’t really think of much to say.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:01 am
Shady wrote a review...

Heyo Bisc,

I saw your post asking for someone to adopt this novel... and I really can't guarantee that I'll have time to really commit to following this as a faithful reviewer, but I will say that I will attempt to follow? So feel free to add me to the ping list when you post more, and I'll do my best to give a somewhat timely review if I can. Deal? Okay, let's get started...

The children came every day to the zoo, their iPads and games consoles cast aside at home. As soon as they got there, every day like clockwork a whole stream of them would burst through the door and run over to the monkey cage.

Okay so your opening scene. I like the imagery of kids at the zoo rather than at home on their electronics. Beautiful sentiment. These two sentences felt a bit strange as far as flow goes, and I'm really not sure if that's an American vs non-American sort of thing or if it really is an issue, so I thought I'd bring it up and let you decide what to do with it if anything ;)

I think my biggest thing is your placement of the "every day" in both of these sentences. I dunno why but "Every day the children came to the zoo..." sounds more natural to my brain than how you have it written now? I could be wrong on that, but it stood out to me so I thought I'd mention it. Same for the second sentence, for whatever reason my brain doesn't like the "every day" being at the middle, and I almost suggested you put the bit before the comma added on after a comma at the end (like "every day... money cage, as soon...") but of course you don't want to start two sentences in a row the same way. I dunno. Really not that huge of a deal. Just read a little funny :)

Okay, I'm intrigued...

~ ~ ~

Okay! This is an excellent first chapter. Short, sweet, to the point -- but it has me hooked. So many questions. At first I was skeptical of the animals (I mean you can't actually guide a frog through an obstacle course), then I started theorizing that they were robotic, and then suddenly we learn that they're cognizant. It's an excellent progression, really.

I don't like figuring out plot from the get-go, and you did a great job of keeping me guessing about what was going on -- but in a good way. I wasn't confused (which just causes frustration) so great job balancing your intrigue with clarity.

This was quite short so I don't have much to say in terms of plot, yet. But your exposition is beautiful in describing the sun-screen lathered little mongers in the zoo, and even the teenagers who pretended not to love it as much as they actually do. And you did a good job setting up big questions that motivate me to read onward to see more of the story... so I guess that's what I'll do!

If you have any questions about what I said or ever want novel talk, just hit me up! :D

~Shady 8)

ExOmelas says...

Ahhhh you're the best <3 That's a totally fair deal and I'm really really grateful for it ^.^ Thanks so much for this review!

Shady says...

<3

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:15 am
Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! Noelle here to review your awesome novel.

This reminds me of Madagascar. I know no one wants to hear their piece compared to something else, but I feel like I had to say it. Props to you for working with talking animals.

I don't have much to say about this. Your writing is so smooth and I can detect your writing style straight from the beginning. You keep it going strong and I applaud you for that. Sometimes it takes a long time for people to find their style. It's a clean read.

Personally I'm not a fan of the overgeneralized narrator. I don't think that's actually a term used so I'll explain. What I consider an overgeneralized narrator is someone who glosses over the details of the story. Kind of what you have here. We're told about the zoo, all the animals and what they do, and even some of Pat's job. However we don't get into the "real" story. There are kids that I don't know anything about. (I know they aren't important, but for the sake of my point I'll mention them) There are animals I don't know anything about. And then there's Pat who just rolls in at the end. At least there's a bit about him that I learn.

I guess my point is try not to take the safe road. You go through an entire day at this zoo in one chapter. Why not slow it down a bit? Take some time to look around and introduce us to the animals. Maybe the kids could have spent some time with the giraffes and lions too. I get that these monkeys are the special ones, but I wanted to hear more about the other animals. I'm not saying you have to give them all equal attention, of course. That would be monotonous. Maybe just spend a little more time with the ones you do introduce.

Another thing that is lacking is some imagery. You do a great job describing the monkeys and their cage, but there's no information for us about what the zoo itself looks like. We're so focused on the kids and the different exhibits and Pat that we don't have time to just stop and look around. There's a mention of a wooden bridge near the birds. Does it cross over a pond? Is it in the midst of tall oak trees? What about the rest of the zoo? Is it old and worn or newer with smooth pathways? The only thing I have to go off of here is a zoo that I have visited quite a few times. I know that we're not imagining the same zoo. Give us a little bit more to go off of, especially if this is such a special zoo. I want to picture it in my mind.

Overall I'm intrigued by this story. You definitely have me hooked and I can't wait to read more! I love quirky stories like this. I mean that in the best way of course :)

**Noelle**

ExOmelas says...

So, I was for a while considering calling this a prologue. From the next chapter the POV becomes limited to Patrick. Sometimes it's still a little omniscient sounding eg "If you'd asked Patrick what he'd thought about X, he'd probably have said Y," but it follows him around in real time. So this felt separate enough that i was considering that for a while. But then I figured that because there's no time jump between here and the next chapter, then that wouldn't really work?

Thanks for you review in any case! It's awesome to see you around again :D

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:52 am
Pompadour wrote a review...

Hello, Bisc! I haven't reviewed much prose in a long time, so pardon my ambling as I try to find a rhythm to how I tackle this.

That being said, I quite enjoyed the visual scenery in this piece, as well as the general atmosphere you built. I do think the beginning is quite clunky and drawn-out, but the style loosens up and flows much more naturally towards the end of the piece, which is always good. Personally, I found it a bit difficult to get past the beginning, because although you establish the tone very early on, the expository sentences weighed themselves down with unnecessary verbosity.

As soon as they got there, Every day like clockwork a whole stream of them would burst through the door and run over to the monkey cage.

For example, the former half of this sentence is information the reader does not need. Words like 'stream' and 'burst' already imply the immediate, rushing nature of the situation--it does not need prior reinforcement. I also think you could break this sentence up a little more? Because the sentence following this one ('Then they pressed their faces up against it, the Spectacular Tower of the Tayburn Monkeys.') reads awkwardly to me, if only for the reason that it is a difficult visual to picture, but also because the comma as an aside is not really working for me.

Perhaps tweak this to read like this? Although, of course, you may edit as it suits you!

Every day, at [specify some time?], a whole stream of them would burst through the door, like clockwork. Then they would run over to the monkey cage, pressing their faces up against it, that Spectacular Tower of the Tayburn Monkeys.

I'm still finding it difficult to picture how the kids could press their faces against the cage? Because I tend to envision any sort of cage as consisting of rods and the idea of faces pressed against cold metal ... makes me uncomfortable, but also then their noses would poke through the spaces between the bars? Maybe this is just me being picky. I also think you could maybe emphasise the size of the zoo in its entirety? The setting doesn't really give me an idea of scale....

^Also another runaway sentence. Another thing--I found that the first paragraph slogged largely because much of the description reads passively, and it's quite different from the faster-paced, excitable wonderment that the remaining piece runs a circuit through. You don't have to take away any of the description, because it is lovely and sets the scene perfectly, but you could rearrange it and tweak it to read faster. Because my writing tends to be very info-heavy, I try to do this by inserting snippets of action between what already is. Sometimes, action functions better by implying that which blunt narrative simply tells us, and it also makes it easier to visualise certain images.

This is how I would edit (forgive me for taking liberties here, again!):

Big white dollops of sun cream rested atop their noses, having been smeared there after much insistence by worried parents. It didn't matter how old or young you were--once you saw the monkeys, you could never look away again for long enough to care about anything else.

(There are a lot of 'then's and 'and's within your sentences. Usually, I would not find this an issue in terms of flow, but in places where every action is packed to the punch with detail, I find splitting sentences up generally helps. Otherwise, my attention is wont to slide. )

+ The break after the second paragraph, where the camera momentarily shifts toward the children, broke the tension for me. The moment of suspension did not hit me very strongly, primarily because the drop was listed down as an additional note and I did not pay much attention to it as I should have. So initially I was like, 'Oh, the children are awed by the monkey's antics', and not 'Oh no, the monkeys dropped, there's nothing to break their fall'. That only hit me when the narrator went on to mention that the monkeys swung their way out of trouble--and the rope, too, seemed to pop up from nowhere? I'm just struggling to picture this. Maybe restating that the children were tense when the monkeys fell would help? Or even just showing the action as opposed to listing it out would help--perhaps scatter a few adverbs into the mix or reiterate the height of the cage for emphasis. I want to be reeled in more strongly. It's the moment where your reader becomes one in the audience, and it is important because this is both exposition and necessary transition to a wider scene.

(Apologies for the ... extensive ramble. Moving on.)

Perhaps change 'literally' to 'literal'? The former reads awkwardly for me. Also, the phrasing in itself is a bit awkward; I stumbled across this one.

I would love some elaboration on the way the 'tricks' are arranged, perhaps through the audience's reactions, aside from just plain awe? I am curious to know how they would interact with some of the attractions, because zoos tend to be absolutely chaotic--and this one in particular conveniently so.

Quick nitpick--I noticed you replace hyphens with dashes, just thought I'd point that out.

The head zookeeper, Patrick, often had to do circuits of the premises to make sure nobody was sitting in the dark in front of the bat enclosure, transfixed by their wing-semaphore.
[/quote]

I loved this. It tastes so perfectly vivid. I also think this paragraph onwards is your strongest, and Patrick's introduction--the curious detail regarding how he locked the zoo up from the inside--really gripped me. Patrick's viewpoint is comfortable to settle into. He gives off the air of a ringmaster. All in all, I think the build-up is quite spectacular. You distract us so much with the various attractions that the idea of talking animals did not occur to me. It's very clever and I adore it.

I already read the second part, but my brain is foggy with sleep so I think I'll offer criticism on that tomorrow. Thank you for the read! Hopefully this review proves somewhat helpful to you~

Keep it up! Keep writing!

Cheers.

~Pomp x

ExOmelas says...

Hey, Pomp, thank you so much for review! I think the beginning of this chapter is one of those cases where I'm just way more into it than someone reading it xD I will indeed edit it so that it is smoother :P

Blues wrote a review...

Biscuits!

Bit rusty, but hopefully this will be helpful nonetheless!

The giraffes played catch, the lion told your future [...] the crocodiles did blind taste testing

So admittedly I don't think it clicked when I read this the first time that the animals would be talking to do this, because I was very excited by the ending (the animals can SPEAK!). But now I'm wondering, how does the above work? (And I'm not sure what you're going for, but if the lions have to speak to tell the future etc, I'd be inclined to suggest you make that fact more ambiguous until the end of the chapter!)

The children came every day to the zoo, their iPads and games consoles cast aside at home. As soon as they got there, every day like clockwork

Personally, I don't think the opening lines are nearly as attention-grabbing as they could be. Cut to the chase, idk, perhaps rearrange it so the monkeys' awesome acrobatics come first and then mention the streams of excited children coming to watch (children are not the most interesting)? I want my interest to be piqued a little earlier...

...But more generally, I feel like (correct me if I'm wrong!) I should be feeling a sense of childhood wonder, maybe mixed in with excitement and general summery-ness which isn't quite fully developed here. The narrator to me sees the act as just a curiosity - which I think could end up pretty funny if you play that aspect up: the juxtaposition between the narrators almost news-reporter offhandedness and how cool this actually is? I'm not sure if I'm making sense so let me know...

Also wouldn't mind just a couple more sensory details in terms of what one can smell here and there -- I can feel the British summer and I will disappointed if it's not in the UK :P -- but apart from the smell of suncream, there's idk, the way the air just smells warm, or the warmth of the sun on one's skin or even the sound of crickets or something, know what I mean?

Also, few commas missing in places ;)

I hope that was of any help at all? Let me know when you post the next chapter!

~ Blues

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:45 pm
beckiw wrote a review...

The monkeys can talk?? (I mean hey Biscuits!)

So the monkeys talk and the crocodiles do blind taste testing. I love this. Whatever this is I love it. Does everything talk? Is Patrick the only zoo keeper and how long do the animals have to know him before they get to call him Pat?? I am intrigued! Here I was thinking this was your average zoo but nope.

I wonder, when you come back to edit this, if it would be cool to lead with the animals? Just drop us straight into the monkey act for example without orientating us with the children. Obviously I don't know where this story is going to go (so you can ignore me) but it feels like Patrick and the animals are the focal point and that leading with them would be a good way to get the reader into the story.

My other favourite faaavourite bit was the fact that Patrick locks the door from the inside like it's his house. That was a nice character detail and really made me want to know more about him and this zoo he runs. And I just love this sort of setting where it's something so familiar to us and yet it has this twist on it, this other side

Let me know when you post more of this! I'd love to see where it goes <3

ExOmelas says...

Ahhh thank you for the review! You might be right about leading with the animals. Was just my way of sort of like, setting a suspenseful mood because it was leading up to the twist at the end? Idk I'm not married to it. Anyway, I'm going to wait until this is out of the Green Room but I'll let you know after that ^.^

Oh also, could you keep particular tabs on my speed of revealing information? There's a fair bit of backstory and I'm trying to reveal it in a suspenseful way (though I've just hit 8k and I think I've reached the end of it, with what I hope is a dramatic impact), but if I'm putting out too little at a time, or the reveals aren't interesting enough to merit the build-up, I'd like to know.

Thanks again :)

HONK
— The Golden Goose