32%
Basher
68%

Total votes : 25

Reviews: 0
Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:42 pm
View Likes
Guest says...

My uncle who also likes to write told me that there are 2 different types of writers: Swoopers and Bashers.
Swoopers are people who write the entire first draft in a short amount of time(for example a month or 2 to complete a 200 page manuscript: Its just to get it all out in manuscript form); "They Scream through the first draft" was how my uncle put it. A swooper then goes back and adds layers and details.
A Basher on the other hand carefully crafts each chapter and spends weeks on single chapters or sections. They work at a chapter or story until they run out of things to perfect on the first draft.
Both have to edit, though Bashers edit AS they go where Swoopers tend to do all editing at the end.

Me? I'm a Basher. Vote in the poll to see what the majority of the site is!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:46 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

I'm a Swooper, though a lazy one. If that makes sense....
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:52 pm
View Likes
Bobo says...

I'm a basher, mostly because ideas don't come all at once.

Reviews: 3

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:20 am
View Likes
Perra says...

I voted Basher, because I do do some editing as I go and don't rush through things. I also do take time on chapters, mainly because I'm lazy. But I don't think you should edit heavily and shouldn't work to make your first draft your only. I also skip around. So, I'm actually more of an in-between.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:35 am
niteowl says...

I am an extreme Basher. If I notice something I can change as soon as I write it, I do not hesitate to change it, because then I will most likely forget about it later. My "first" drafts have so much editing on them that when I go to revise it I pretty much have to rewrite it cuz there's no room left. And then I get very low Writer's Self-Esteem because I always feel something could be better although I'm not sure what. Seriously, you could say it's the best story/poem/essay in all of history and actually mean it and I still wouldn't be satisfied.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:47 am
View Likes
Zion says...

Im somewhere in between I guess thats why I didnt vote
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:00 am
Elelel says...

I'm a Basher. I perfect EVERYTHING before I allow myself to move on. I sculpture my detail with microscopic tools so to perfect it all perfectly. If I need to work something out before continuing I call a halt in production and work it all out so there are NO flaws and NOTHING of which if someone asked me about it I couldn't go on for three hours just telling the info I wasn't putting into the story about it...
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:20 am
View Likes
Sam says...

Voted Basher...:D
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:58 pm
Nate says...

I like those terms.

Seems like I'm a super-swooper, or maybe I'm a cross between a swooper and a basher. I can never do outlines so what I do is quickly write up the first draft of a manuscript (usually 150 pages worth in a month). Then I go back and completely rewrite the first draft to get the second draft. And then I finally make up an outline, make up character sketches, list main ideas, and then I write the third draft, usually the final draft. Once I did go on to a fifth draft doing this. In the end, it takes me about a year to write a 200 page book (a feat I've only accomplished twice, and poorly so).

I think I'm really a mix...

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:00 pm
Meshugenah says...

Basher, most definately.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:24 pm
View Likes
Cacophony says...

I'm a little bit of both really, but I probably more of a basher. Most of the line editing (i.e fixing typos, getting it to flow better, etc.) I do as I go. However, major changes (i.e adding, deleting, and changing the order of scenes, adding and getting rid of plot elements, consistency checking, etc.) usually wait until the whole thing is finished so that I can see how everything fits together. However, I don't wait until one chapter is perfect before moving on to the next because if I did that I'd never finish anything.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:14 am
View Likes
Skye says...

Since "both" or "a mix" aren't options, I guess I'm with Firestarter as a Lazy Swooper. I don't plan a whole lot, but it takes me a pretty long time to write out a full first draft (2 months per 100 pages). I then go back and add loads and loads of details and description and extra chapters.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:56 pm
View Likes
Tara says...

Basher for me, too. ](*,) :roll: :thumb:
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

Every first draft is perfect, because all a first draft has to do is exist.
— Jane Smiley