Young Writers Society

YWS is on Wikipedia

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:56 am
Nate says...

Check it out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Writers_Society

Okay, so I created it... but, if some members could in and add to or change it, please do so! Wikipedia will probably delete it otherwise.

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:07 am
Boni_Bee says...

That is cool! But...it says it is going to be deleted ^_^???

425 Reviews

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:42 am
Nate says...

Boni_Bee wrote:That is cool! But...it says it is going to be deleted ^_^???

Yep, that's what I was afraid of. So we'll see if it lasts or not, but it'd be very helpful if others went in and edited it. You can change it, add to it, whatever. If I do it, though, it just increases the chances of it getting deleted.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:19 am
Crysi says...

Wikipedia is my lover.

Well, not really. But I use it for everything! We absolutely MUST have a YWS page! *grins* I'll see what I can do.
Love and Light

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:56 am
zelithon says...

"is one of the most successful young writers site on the web"
Yeah well... I am a freak for that kind of stuff. It should be "sites" :D
Last edited by zelithon on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:56 am
Bobo says...

I added my 2 cents. I just don't really know how much we can do to make this not look like an advertisement for the website. Hopefully others can think of ideas.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:09 am
Snoink says...

Awesome. It isn't marked for deletion anymore.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:25 am
Firestarter says...

The link is broken actually on the article, cos the site URL is spelt wrong. I changed it so it works now though.

Otherwise, cool!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

425 Reviews

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:31 pm
Nate says...

Cool!

I think it's going to be deleted though. YWS is indeed non-notable webpage, but maybe since a lot of people have gone and edited it now, they'll think there's an interest in it. Ah well.

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:47 pm
hekategirl says...

It stills says it's considered for deletion, I'll think of something to say...but what...:? hmmm..
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:39 pm
Zion says...

FINALLY! It was bout bloody time id say! :D
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:37 pm
Crysi says...

Does anyone else find it ironic that if you click on "this article's entry" in the warning and then click on the username (TBC) apparently belonging to whoever decided it should be deleted, the guy's profile has a big picture that says, "Big Brother is Watching You" ?
Love and Light

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:53 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Does anyone else understand why this guy's trying to get the entry deleted..? I don't understand the reasons... they're just too complicated!
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

425 Reviews

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:38 am
Nate says...

KayJuran wrote:Does anyone else understand why this guy's trying to get the entry deleted..? I don't understand the reasons... they're just too complicated!

It's because under Wikipedia definitions, YWS is not in any way a notable website. In order to be a notable website, the site has to fulfill one of three things:

1. Have a high site ranking. YWS is apparently the 5.7 millionth most visited site on the web (hey, at least it's numbered!).
2. Be extensively published, independent of the creator, in print. This could mean a small entry in a small writing newsletter, or an article in The Economist.
3. Recieve an award. If YWS ends up getting into the top 100 best writing sites of 2006 in Writers Digest, then it's safe.

As it is, I'm sure as long as enough people show an interest in it, it'll stay. The review period is only five days long, so interest needs only to stay for five days! So far, the wikipedia entry on YWS has recieved more interest than some congressional member entries on wikipedia, so that's good.

425 Reviews

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:25 pm
Nate says...

Well, it ended up being deleted, but the good news is that the decision was split. Three people who moderate wikipedia made the decision, and while two proposed deleting it, one wanted to keep it. I'll have to try again once YWS' Alexa rating improves, which it should. The traffic data is done such that older sites have an edge, so a site like merlyn's pen, which is definitely smaller than YWS, has a much better ranking.

Mudwesterner
— BlueAfrica