Most School Aged Children Have Imaginary Friends

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:56 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Most School Aged Children Have Imaginary Friends
By Alison McCook

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Approximately 65 percent of young children befriend imaginary companions, and nearly one-third continue to play with them through age 7, new research shows.

Also, although many believe children outgrow imaginary friends early in life, school-aged children were just as likely to have pretend companions as preschool kids.

"It turns out that this is very common," study author Dr. Marjorie Taylor of the University of Oregon in Eugene told Reuters Health.

Taylor explained that imaginary friends can serve as "powerful tools" for young children, helping them deal with boredom, talk about things that are troubling them, and explore whatever issues have emerged in their lives.

Imaginary friends eventually disappear because, as with other toys, children likely lose interest, Taylor noted. However, one German study found that many 14- and 15-year olds write about imaginary friends in diaries, suggesting that the invisible companions stick around for longer than some might imagine, she said.

And even in adulthood, people's lives include traces of imaginary friends -- such as when they become overly interested in characters from books or movies, Taylor said.

Several years ago, Taylor and her colleagues interviewed 152 children 3 and 4 years old and their parents about imaginary friends. An average of 3 years later, they re-contacted the same group of kids, to ask again about imaginary friends.

They found that 65 percent of children said they had at least one imaginary friend at some point in their childhood. Not all companions were human -- some children said their friends were a squirrel, a panther, or a tiny elephant, for instance.

In preschool, girls were more likely to have imaginary friends, but by the age of 7, the trend was as common in boys, the authors report in the journal Developmental Psychology.

In an interview, Taylor explained that different parents react differently to their children's imaginary friends. Some are delighted and encourage the habit, she said, while others worry that it means their children can't make "real" friends.

"We consider it to be healthy," she said.

Children with and without imaginary friends are generally the same, Taylor noted, but she has found that those with pretend companions tend to be better at seeing things from other people's perspective.

More than one-quarter of children had friends their parents did not know about, Taylor said, likely because parents may not realize their children have invisible companions, and perhaps because some children sense their parents would not approve.

More than 40 percent of companions were animals, understandable given that children love animals, Taylor said, and these are often given special qualities.

"If you're a little person, walking down the street, it's nice to have a tiger by your side," Taylor said.

SOURCE: Developmental Psychology, November 2004.

- Reuters
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=7058363

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:10 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

That's really interesting!

Of course, I prefer to call them 'characters' :wink:

Actually, that's how my characters came to be. I'm an only child, and my dad works a lot. I had to entertain myself somehow, so I created a 'few' imaginary brothers and sisters (lol.. a few equals 7 in this case!). I remember also having a few imaginary dogs.. even though I had a real one!

Eventually I created more friends, creating a story along with them. Then I decided to write it down.

I admit, I still have them. Only I do think more along the lines of my story than anything else. It helps me to know my characters very well, which I try to translate into writing. I think part of why I still have them is because I'm still a bored only child lol. I rarely have friends over or go over to other people's houses, and I was pretty insecure in middle school. It's just a habit now, and I found it's kind of a scary, lonely one to let go. I don't think I'm more immature because of them. In fact, people have said that I'm very mature for my age. So I think it's just the result of a very active imagination, and it involves me deeply in my story, so I see no reason to force myself to drop the habit.

By the way, I do know the difference between reality and fantasy. I just find that blurring them together makes life more fun :wink:

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:03 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

I had imaginary friends! I had a whole school full of them when I was little! *looks around, prays that people don't think she's crazy. *

They left a long time ago. But I played games with imaginary characters with my friend in elementary school. We had a bunch of horses. We even had funerals for them! I also found these cards saying when each horse was "born." I threw them out.

Most of my characters were just "imaginary friends" until last year when I decided to put the good ideas down on paper. I still think those are my best characters.

594 Reviews

Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:52 pm
View Likes
Crysi says...

Yay! I'm not alone in thinking they make great characters!!

See? You get to know them completely, and it's much easier to have a lot of detail about them in the story..

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:17 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

I'm with you too!!! I had a dragon imaginery friend when I was very little. I never really told anyone, because I didn't have many friends, and my little brother and sister took up most of my parents time then. He was really kind and helped me through such horrors as 'first day of school'. I've been writing for as long as I could write, so I'm not sure if there's a conection between imajinery friends and writing for me, but I REALLY began writing quite seriously when I became the 'prey' for bullies, and then my characters morphed into imaginery friends again who kept me company, and fried the bullies in there spare time. Now I have quite a few, most protraying an extreme quality (or not as in some cases eg anger, which my favourite and main character portrays) like kindness, understanding and cheerfulness. I know them like the back of my hand, and it makes writing about them ALOT easier.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:22 pm
View Likes
J. Wilder says...

I never really did the whole imaginary friend thing. Actually in first or second grade or so, I remember practically everybody else I went to school with had an imaginary friend, so I made two up out of conformity. But that only lasted about one or two days at most.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:05 pm
View Likes
Skye says...

I started out with two imaginary friends, twins named Himby and Timby. I left them in Ireland. My next imaginary friend was Tiger. She was human, but always wore Tiger-striped clothes. We used to have dancing contests, and she's the reason I lost my second tooth (don't ask). I also had imaginary horses and I also babysat imaginary children, but I grew bored with them very quickly and soon killed them off. That was another thing, I was never really attatched to them, and I never had any problems leaving them places and killing them.
I now have an imaginary person that lives in my head. He's always making me say and do things I regret later, the little rascal. :wink: (By the way, yes, I am mentally sound.)
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:48 pm
View Likes
Zion says...

lol imaginary friends? that brings back memories of old *sigh* I had an entire elvish council of them, sometimes vizualising the chambers of the council, the walls engraved with sylvan art, the sun shining through the coloured windows, bunch of elves rambling about the future of 'our' nation. I was usually the ambassador of the High ELves, always engaging a conversation with the 'real' Arvandor. Heck, sometimes I still do, he's like a second self of my own being lol
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

594 Reviews

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:39 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

Sometimes I worry about you, Arvy :wink:

Lol I know, I'm not much better.. Just had to rag on you a bit lol :P

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:08 pm
View Likes
Matt Bellamy says...

I had a pig called Podger. He got really cold once and turned blue. Survived though. Moved to France after a while. Aye, I wonder how old Podger's doing these days...
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:26 pm
View Likes
Morran says...

I had a lot of imaginary friends. But I don't remember them very well, for some reason.... >.>;;;; Sometimes I love my memory, sometimes I hate it. Nevertheless, I had imaginary friends, too.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:34 am
View Likes
marching_gurl89 says...

They left a long time ago. But I played games with imaginary characters with my friend in elementary school.
niteowl wrote: We had a bunch of horses. We even had funerals for them! I also found these cards saying when each horse was "born." I threw them out..

I remember that niteowl that was so much fun. Didn't we have them from 3-4or 5th grade.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:41 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Ah, yes those were the days. One horse got colic (but of course he survived) one got stuck on Pluto and we had to go rescue him with the flying horse (I believe her name was Snow White) and they all ended up being related...the me of 3rd grade puts the me now to shame in the weirdness category.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:06 am
View Likes
Perra says...

I didn't have imaginary friends, I had animals. Only animals. Or creatures. Infact, I'd be an animal. Mainly wolf, dog, or horse. And out of those three, wolf was the most-often done. I'd pretend to be a wolf within a wolf pack. We'd fight, hunt, play, sleep. I'd even growl sometimes. Never had names for any of them. I'd also act stories out with my many animal toys(no dolls for me!) Sometimes I might have actually been me and had human friends. Don't remember those times until later on. I haven't incorporated my old imaginary things into my stories, though. My daydreams are what I use. Although, I'm never, ever going to use the wolf in some example of evil or whatever, like so many do. :evil: :x Evil people.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

I was weeping as much for him as her; we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights