z

Young Writers Society

A Publisher Pays You, You Don't Pay A Publisher

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:33 pm
Nate says...

Just remember that a publisher pays you, you don't pay a publisher. If you ever come across a publishing company that says something like, "For $500, we'll do all this for you," then it's a scam and I wouldn't go anywhere near that.

If you do want to see your book in print, use Lulu. I've had a great experience with it and the Literary Journal. If you don't want to, you don't have to pay them a dime except for the purchase of the book itself, which is usually no more than $15. However, for $50, they'll go ahead and handle all the ISBN, copyright, and distribution stuff for you. By distribution, I mean they'll send it to have it posted on almost all major online book stores (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.).

So if you really, really want to see your book in print, go to Lulu or any other site that doesn't make you pay them. If the publisher is asking you to make a deposit, then it's a scam.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:42 pm
Jon says...

I'll try to remember that when, [s]or if[/s], I ever get my novel done! :D

Thanks Nate

Nate = 8)

---Jon---
:D
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:43 pm
Twit says...

But if you don't pay them, what do they get out of it? I'd have thought that a place where you have to pay sounds less suspicious than a place where it's free.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:47 pm
gamechanger10 says...

They get sales profits, etc....or a cut of it, anyway. That's how they get money.
"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -Mark Twain

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:41 pm
Emerson says...

Like Game Changer said, they only make money if you make money. They don't make money off of initially making a contract with you. Same thing for agents. They get a percentage of the books income, and nothing if your books doesn't sale. (I believe?)

So it's nice! Their goal is to make money, and they don't make money unless your book gets sold.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Reviews: 0
Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:57 pm
ldsprincess says...

Do they have a website?
"She's got it out for me but I wear the biggest smile!"
-Misery Buisness by Paramore

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:59 pm
Teague says...

Who, Lulu? Certainly. www.lulu.com

If you're talking about someone else... I dunno. XD

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

Reviews: 0
Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:41 pm
ldsprincess says...

Saint Razorblade wrote:Who, Lulu? Certainly. www.lulu.com

If you're talking about someone else... I dunno. XD

-:pirate3:

lol
Thanks. :)
"She's got it out for me but I wear the biggest smile!"
-Misery Buisness by Paramore

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:52 am
Snoink says...

That's for self-publishing though... getting published is a completely different (and scarier) ballpark.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:02 am
Alteran says...

Some companies will give you an advance on your royalties after you sign the contract.

*caps*

DO NOT SPEND THE ADVANCE!

*End caps*

If your book doesn't sale, most companies make you give back the advance if your book doesn't sale. Part of that whole they don't make money unless you make money thing.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:41 pm
Sureal says...

I'm pretty sure a publisher can't ask for the advance back. After all, the entire point of an advance is that you're getting money up front, regardless of how well your book actually sells.

Are you sure you're not getting confused with the whole 'they won't start paying your royalties until they've made back all the money they gave you in the advance' thing?

(Of course, I could be entirely wrong.)
I wrote the above just for you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:12 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Hmm...thanks. I'll look out for those kinds of companies.

I've considered self-publishing. I'm still unsure, I wouldn't be able to hold down another job with that work.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:52 am
Cade says...

I think it's more rewarding to be actually published...they say a writer's goal is to paper his bathroom with rejection slips.

If you're in high school, this is your opportunity to get legitimate recognition! High school is one of the best times to get money for your writing. I've won almost $600, part of it in a scholarship, through my own efforts submitting to local and national contests. It's very rewarding. And I'm going to finally be published outside of my high school literary magazine...admittedly, in a small Canadian mag, and all I'll be paid is a contributor's copy, but who cares? It's very special.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:39 am
Nate says...

I think Sureal's right; a publisher can't ask for that advance back. But, if you ever get published, read the contract! I'm sure that Adam is right as well and that some publishers write into the contract that they can ask for the advance back.

Anyhow, Snoink is right, this is just for self-publishing, which isn't something I entirely recommend either. Cade hits the bullseye with the rejection slips comment.

In some cases, though, self-publishing may be more appropriate. After all, if you write a book about your family history, chances are that only your family will be interested.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:52 am
Clo says...

Is self-publishing sort of like the last resort for the desperate writer? Will a self-published book never see a bookshelf?

It's amazing how little I know about the world I want to be in...
How am I not myself?

Act in the valley so that you need not fear those who stand on the hill.
— Danish proverb