z

Young Writers Society

Favorite Ancient Civilization

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:27 pm
Brian says...

So what's your favorite ancient civilization, and why?

My favorite is by far Rome, with particular regard to the time of the Roman Republic from about 150 BC to 27 BC (roughly about from the time of the Gracchi Brothers to the beginning of Augustus' reign as Emperor). It's just so interesting to read about, and so many things happened during this time. Rome at that time was very similiar to any developed country today, and there are many parallels to be drawn between the late Roman Republic and the United States today. For one, the political atmosphere is about the same and the international situation is about the same. Another thing... just as Rome had become a major world power, a great and rich empire was rising to east that many thought would challenge it (the Persian Empire). Today, just as the US has become the sole superpower, an enormous country is rising in the east that could challenge it (China). Fortunately enough though, the US has an actual written Constitution whereas Rome's was verbal, so an emperor of the US is not that likely. Of course, it wasn't until after Augustus' death that many realized that all power in Rome was vested in the emperor. So it could be that one day we wake up and suddenly realize that our president is the supreme ruler of the land, seventy years after it actually happened.

I also really love reading about Sumeria; it's fascinating that the Sumerians had indoor plumbing, heating, and invented pretty much everything we have today from roads to government.
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:12 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

this belongs in the lounge... it really does.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:18 pm
Nate says...

QiGuaiGongFu wrote:this belongs in the lounge... it really does.

For now, I'm willing to leave it where it is. The topic is serious discussion for the moment.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:30 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Well, in THAT case:
I'm a fan of the Ancient Japanese, but i think the sumarians are pretty cool too...

*SLAP*
that was my forehead... i just slapped it...

freakin A im a nerd.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:08 pm
niteowl says...

I like ancient Greek mythology, but the Egyptians were cooler in general. They had mummies. And pyramids.

Ok, I've posted, you can go ahead and move it to the Lounge now.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:34 pm
Areida says...

My favourite are the Romans. I am totally fixated with them. My favourite time period would probably have to be the beginnings of Rome (all the Romulus and Remus legends, etc.) and from the time of Augustus Caesar to Domitian (as outlined in Suetonius's Twelve Caesars), roughly 4 BC- AD 80 or so. I'm not really sure about the specific dates.

After the Romans my favourite ancient cultures are the Egyptians and the Greeks...ooh and the Trojans. I'm fascinated by the Trojan war and all the stories it entails.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:38 pm
Ego says...

I'm torn between aneint Greece (for its mythology) and ancient Japan (for the samurai)
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:03 am
dele24 says...

I like the Ancient Romans and Greeks

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:08 am
electricbluemonkey says...

I love Ancient Chinese culture. Ever since we studied it in...6th grade I think it was, I just loved it. Just because all of their emperors have a different way of seeing things (legalism, confucianism, feudalism) and just because they're religion is just so cool.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:15 am
hekategirl says...

I can't pick, their all so intresting in their own way. But, the ones I like the most are the Egyptions, the Greeks, the Romans and the Trojans. Egypt I like for its culture and history, not so much the mythology. The Greeks I like for their mythology and history. The Romans I like for its culture and history. And Trojans are so cool becasue for a long time they thought their wasn't a city Troy at all but low and behold, their was. And of course I like Troy for the Iliad and the Odessey.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:15 am
Sam says...

erm...Romans and Mayans.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:10 am
Elelel says...

Not sure ... I love history, but I don't know if I have a favourite culture. Rome ... too ... don't know. It's interesting, but I don't love it to bits. Never been a big fan of Egypt either. Not Greek. Way too annoyingly serious about subjects like maths. I mean, people believed all sorts of cool and interesting things then, why did they have to try to spoil it all with facts? I'd rather live in blissful ignorance. *mutters about scientists forcing information on people whether they like it or not*. Medieval Europe it pretty interesting, always been fasinated by their seige equipment (someday I will make a mini trebuchet, just you see if I don't...). I quite like the Norse myths and so forth, they appeal to my ... brain I suppose. They are just the sort of things I'd want to believe in if I didn't live with scientfic parents who actually told their children why the sky is blue when we asks *mutters again about science spoiling the minds of young children*.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:12 am
Incandescence says...

The Celtics.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:14 am
Tara says...

No question, Maya and Inca
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:47 am
Shadow Knight says...

Definately the ancient Greeks, love their mythology!
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

See, we could have been called The Shoes.
— Paul McCartney