z

Young Writers Society

The Last Man Standing: Round II

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:18 pm
Lightsong says...

Congratulations! :)
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:17 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

Here we go again~

@AstralHunter, @AdrianMoon, @Auxiira, @Buggiedude2340, @EnderFlash, @Falconer, @Ironspark, @Lavvie, @lostthought, @Messenger, @megsug, @Meandbooks, @Pompadour, @QueenAnne, @Soulkana, @SpiritedWolfe, @TimmyJake, @ThePhoenix, @Tenyo, @Tortwag, @willachilles, @WritingWolf.

Got a long list of characters -- they'll all suffer again. 'Cause you know I love the chaos, and they need fewer friends. ♫
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:20 pm
Pompadour says...

*tags @QueenOfHearts*

*whispers* 'Name change.'
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:20 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@AdrianMoon I really don't relate to the suffering part, But I definitely do love chaos as well.

Thanks for the summoning anyway :D
*Blissful happiness as he slowly finishes next post*
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:15 am
View Likes
OliveDreams says...

TIME IS UP.

Surviving Warriors - 24

Fallen Warriors - 1

Rogues - 4

Deceased - 12

RIP
@willachilles

Awards

The Captain’s Compass - for making it through week VI.
@Arkhaion @AstralHunter @AdrianMoon @Auxiira @Atsmai @Buggiedude2340 @EnderFlash @Flite @Falconer @IronSpark @kayfortnight @Lavvie @Messenger @megsug @Meandbooks @Pompadour @QueenOfHearts @Soulkana @ScarlettFire @SpiritedWolfe @TimmyJake @TriSARAHtops @Tuesday @Tortwag

Outstanding Opening Line Award

Lav woke up to trotting noises and the deep grunts and rustles of the men around them.
- Atsmai

The infirmary's braziers glowed in the dull light, smoke wafting upwards in clearly defined pillars.
- ScarlettFire

’I Love That Line’ Award

It appeared again, closer, wavering and twisting as if it were a ball of glowing gel.
- kayfortnight

It was hard to believe how disgusted a guy could look when he wore his bangs over his right eye.
- Arkhaion

Most Accomplished Challenger

ScarlettFire

Most Beautiful Description

Turbulent winds tore through the air, piercing even the thick furs of the Commander's outfit as he peered into the distance, searching. Raynerus squinted as he struggled to see through the blanket of snow, ice and shimmering blue rays of the sun to catch any glimpse of his niece, Princess Tampeesa, or even her prized tundra bear, Ashura.
- SoulKana

Most Animated Characters

Tortwag

Week VII Commences!

Unbelievably impressed with the work this week! I peeked last night at how many had posted & I thought a lot more of you were goners! Keep going! Things are beginning to get interesting...

“Not all those who wander are lost.” - J. R. R. Tolkien
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:36 am
View Likes
willachilles says...

All I got done this week:

The words or phrases in asterisks are italics...

Spoiler! :
Faith - Chapter Six

“Bow ties *are* cool.” I loved bow ties. Just compare them to normal ties. They look so formal and so fancy. But you didn’t have to be at a fancy dress competition to wear one.

My father was scooping up his last strands of pasta when he said, “That was a great meal…son…son! SON!” His eyes grew open wide, as he stood up. I stood next to him when he whispered, “There’s a man in our backyard.” I turned around. Our eyes locked. And the last thing I remembered before I fell unconscious was him taking out a flamethrower.
Something was stopping my eyes from opening. I felt heat rub across the whole of my right side. I needed to see. I needed to see! I rolled around so my nose was touching the ground. Ahh. Much better. I opened them and then rolled back around to see where I was. I was lying down on the carpet, in the dining room. With a piece of the roof about to fall on top of me.

*Oh crap!* I stood up as fast as I could and ran to...to...where?! There was fire surrounding me. Everywhere I looked - fire. I would have to make a dash to the Boulevard. I looked up and saw the roof slowly peeling off, like an orange peel. *This is it.*

I leaped towards the door and then ran. Ran like I never ever had ran before. Adrenaline ran through my legs, my heart pumping like constant beeping of a heart monitor. Faster and faster and faster and faster, until I thought it would blow up. I squinted my eyes as the wind gushed past me and hit my ears. I felt the heat starting to wade off behind me. I turned around, still running, as I saw what had become of our house.

The modern facade had disappeared and had now turned into an old, rotting, skeleton. The wooden frames which were left were being engulfed by the fire, charcoaled black smears of paint sprinting down them. It was impossibly hard to say that the house was ever more than a single-story, yet if you said that either, people would still laugh. I watched as our house - our only house - burned down to the ground.

I turned back around and stopped walking. Abba was limping his way over to me as I ran to help support him. It was only then when I saw the burn marks he had on his arms and legs.

"Oh my god...what happened to you?! We have to get to a hospital..."

"No...no...I'll be alright...no need for going to a hospital." I sighed. I knew it. He knew it. We both knew what was stopping us - the price. *Oh, we should've moved to Canada...* I tossed those thoughts away and sat Dad down in the car.

"We're going to the hospital to get you all fixed up." I knew what was coming next. We had already experienced it. Hell.
I sat in the hospital hallway, crying. I was asking myself how this happened. Who was that man? How did he get into our house? How did he have a flamethrower?! A nurse came over and asked me if anything was wrong when I quickly wiped my tears and politely replied with a no. Again - everything was wrong.

567 words.

@Meandbooks @ChocolateCello
Do you even YWS?

"Poetry is what happens when your mind stops working, and for a moment all you do is feel."
-ishitadutt

"You have to pretend to sleep before you can ever dream."
-silented1

46 Reviews

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:36 am
willachilles says...

Congrats to all the peeps who made it!
Do you even YWS?

"Poetry is what happens when your mind stops working, and for a moment all you do is feel."
-ishitadutt

-silented1

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:18 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

@willachilles RIP, and thank you!

Also... Wait I got an award?! *reads* "Most Animated Characters"?

Wow. 6 really IS my lucky number. Um... Thanks for whoever thinks my characters are interesting enough for me to actually get an award :D I'll do my best to keep 'em interesting! Hopefully!
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:49 am
Mea says...

@willachilles Shame you couldn't make it. :/ Are you going to stay in as a rogue?
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:00 pm
kayfortnight says...

Thanks to whoever called out my line!

Stay in as a rogue, willachiles!
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

46 Reviews

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:25 am
View Likes
willachilles says...

Okay...I SHALL CONTINUE AS A ROGUE!
Do you even YWS?

-ishitadutt

-silented1

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:27 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

It's that time of week again~

@AstralHunter, @Auxiira, @Atsmai, @EnderFlash, @Falconer, @IronSpark, @Lavvie, @lostthought, @Messenger, @megsug, @Meandbooks, @QueenOfHearts, @Soulkana, @TimmyJake, @ThePhoenix, @Tenyo, @Tortwag.

'Cause we're young and reckless, we'll write for way too long. It'll leave the readers breathless or hating this whole song.

Since it's nearing Review Day, you might not be able to post after Review Day depending on your timezone. So, write those chapters!
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:44 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

oh. darn. uhm, I'm probably going rogue then xD
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

175 Reviews

Reviews: 175
Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:25 pm
Harker says...

Hey, @AdrianMoon ~

I'm fairly sure I submitted my chapter. Do you see it on the thread? If not, sorry. I'll post again. :D
John. Queer guy, writer, fan of stuff.

~ Some men are born in their bodies, others have to fight for it. ~

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:32 pm
Vervain says...

@IronSpark, I think you submitted your chapter in the challenge thread by accident, instead of the submission thread.
stay off the faerie paths

Noelle, you can lead a writer to their computer and give them coffee, but you can't make them write.
— CowLogic