z

Young Writers Society

Some Important Changes Coming...

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:19 pm
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

as pheonix said, thank you nate thank you, this is i think a really good idea, because it seems as if all the new members and some of the old members do is chat, and costing 15 points per post is a good idea, and its really not that hard to get points for reveiwing and critiqueing other peoples works. i think you are on the right track nate, keep it up. just at the top of teh lounge thread or what ever put a a warning that says warning costs 15 points to post or s omthing like that
Last edited by Dargquon Ql'deleodna on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's a B*tch, slap it upside the head.

Dargquon Ql'deleodna: (n) "Dar-qu-on Kel-del-ode-na" something i made up that sounded cool, partially based off of the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden's name style

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:26 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

I don't see why the chatroom needs a point cost.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

375 Reviews

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:43 pm

these ideas are great and i like the change
Last edited by Dargquon Ql'deleodna on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dargquon Ql'deleodna: (n) "Dar-qu-on Kel-del-ode-na" something i made up that sounded cool, partially based off of the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden's name style

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:54 pm
Snoink says...

marching_gurl89 wrote:I do not like this. Because number one I really do not have a lot of time to write and have had writers block for a while. I also never have enough time to review anything because I have a lot of homework and I am lucky if I can spend a good half an hour on here each day.

If you need help, you can always ask. There's many threads on the writing tips forums about combating writer's block, and besides that, most members here would be thrilled if you asked them for ideas for stories.

And you don't have to review, persay. There's the art forum, book reviews, usergroups, writing tips (yes, while you ask for help, you'll instantly get points!), and storybooks, all on top of the literary forums. There's plenty of chance to get points besides critiquing. And, you don't have to spend all your thirty minutes on a critique. If I want to critique something, but don't have enough time, I'll say, "I'm really sorry, but I got to go now. I'll critique this later."

Also, say you do want to be random, but don't have the points. Then there's always the blogs. If you contact enough people, you'll form your own blog ring of sorts. It's not impossible.

There's one problem I have about the fifteen points cost. It's not really even. I would rather have twenty than fifteen. I would prefer ten, if that's possible. I don't know... I have this thing about zeroes. ;)

The chat room should not cost anything.

I really like the number two idea though. A daunting task indeed! Happy coding. :) On it though, I would have my own literary works put down, so I can view recent comments easily. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 67
Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:21 am
The Silent Aviator says...

I'm okay with "My YWS"; but NOT the point reduction system. My knowledge of grammar is lextremely imited, so I can't make very many good, helpful critiques. This is not an exuse for laziness on my part;I got a 70 on my english exam. The only thing I'm writing is still days from completion, so I have little to do here BUT the three random forums.

Don't do this.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:32 am
Snoink says...

Listen, most of the members will help you with any grammar problems you have, myself included. But you have to ask us! Otherwise, we can't help you. Writing forums are designed to help you write better. By coming here, posting your own work and critiquing others, you are helping yourself write better. But you have to write!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:47 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Wow. If you look at where most of my posts reside, it would seem like my disappearance is imminent, no? Thank God this is a test. A test I hope will fail. I'm sorry to be that way, but I haven't had any inspiration in the last 3 months, and school's not helping either. Something is missing in my writing world and I don't know how to get it back. I know, I know, I should post reviews more often, but it seems like I can only review when a) someone wanted me to, and b) I have time. I just don't feel comfortable with reviewing unless someone asks me. I know...I'm just selfish.

And lately I haven't had too much time. A 3-day weekend just ended, and that means extra work. >.< In fact, I NEED to be studying for my Systematic Theology test tomorrow.

I'm gonna lay low for a bit, I suppose.

375 Reviews

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:48 am

The Silent Aviator wrote:I'm okay with "My YWS"; but NOT the point reduction system. My knowledge of grammar is lextremely imited, so I can't make very many good, helpful critiques. This is not an exuse for laziness on my part;I got a 70 on my english exam. The only thing I'm writing is still days from completion, so I have little to do here BUT the three random forums.

Don't do this.

dude dont complain,on the first 9 weeks exam I failed, lol think, my parents spazed out, but yea dont complain ill take a c over and f anyday

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:01 am
Shriek says...

Yay. I like this idea.
Props to Nate and the mods.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:21 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Let's see what you think in a week, okay?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:39 am
Shriek says...

Right.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:36 am
Sam says...

You don't need to be grammatically sound to have a good critique. In fact, the person whose peice you're critiquing probably cares the LEAST about grammar. They want to know what you thought about their characters, setting, plotline, etc. Of course, grammar helps in coherency, but STILL! People claim they can talk to dead people...and we all know how coherent those corpses are...yet John Edwards is still employed. So therefore, review! We don't care about your grammar (well, we do, but that's the least of your worries right now).
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:30 am
Nate says...

It's all done!

To address some of the concerns...
- You can now earn points in nearly all of the forums. The only ones that you cannot are:
The Lounge
Randomness
Entertainment
Writing Activites

Also, depending on which forum it is, the costs are different. For The Lounge and Entertainment, it's 10 points since posts there tend to be substantial. In Randomness and Writing Activites, it's 15 points.

Let the experiment begin!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:41 am
Nate says...

There's gonna be a delay since it's not working right and I'm too tired to fix it at the moment.

As a sidenote, one day I got to go through and redo everything. There's so much junk code in YWS and there's too much code that I put there, but I don't know what it does. Or if I know what it does, I don't know how I made it work...
Last edited by Nate on Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:42 am
Bobo says...

So you can get points everywhere now? That definitely makes it a lot easier to get the points needed.

Everything is a lot of things!
— Hank Green