z

Young Writers Society

Plagerism

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:09 pm
Joeducktape says...

Hey! I'm probably incredibly paranoid posting this, but should I worry about my story ideas getting stolen? Has anyone on here ever had that? This may sound kind of self confident, but if someday I want to publish something maybe based on an old story, how can I know that it won't be copied?
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:00 pm
backgroundbob says...

Well; I've have posts of my poems on various websites, so there's a date for when each of them was posted.

If you're really worried (I wouldn't be, but who knows; it could happen) bind a pile of them up into a binder-book and have them date-stamped at the post office. Then it's official, and anyone who tries anything with them after that date can have their ass sued.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:20 pm
Emma says...

Nice idea Bob! ^____^

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:23 pm
*Twilight* says...

Yeah thats a pretty nice plan.
Hire people to crit your work! Get paid to crit other people's work!
The YWS crit shop: forum/viewtopic.php?t=8018

104 Reviews

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:17 pm
Joeducktape says...

That was funny. The only thing I could think of was copywriting, and I was saying to myself, "heck no!" This way I can completely finish my story, then post it on here in pieces. It'll probably be really long when I post it. Thanks, Bob!

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:30 pm
Elizabeth says...

Everything is always copied off of anything anyway. It's the tream called: cliche'.
Mayhaps not exactly alike! But similar!
That's always a case.

By claiming you own something is claiming a bit of something that everybody else has owned.
YOU OWN THE DEAD PEOPLE!

And that is not always generally a good thing. So I wouldn't worry about it. If you do stumble upon somebody who has your exact words without your permission to use them (after your said topic was posted) complain to a moderator.

The president if you must!

And I bid you good noon, I must return to my article about the chickens...

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:12 pm
backgroundbob says...

Err... I think he meant people copying it whole and saying it's theirs :D not people on the site, either.

Though I'm sure Jack would still go beat the papaya juice out of them for us.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:53 pm
Firestarter says...

Yes, yes I would. Us Mancunians are hard, innit.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much. Most people are good-hearted on these sites, and it's very rare that there is someone malicious who comes on just to steal.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:57 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

Like Bob said. That's what my writing teacher always told me. "Just stick it in a box and mail it to yourself."

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:28 am
Bjorn says...

My English teacher(being the head of the department) was told by another, grade 12, English teacher, that she found out a few of the kids in her class plagarized their entire essays(which of course counts towards University marks). And you do that in University, your screwed man. Anyway, don't be too afraid, as people have said, but be wary nonetheless, and remember: it is at your own discression that you post anything.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:27 am
Jiggity says...

Each story you post has a date above it like: posted at Tue Jan 10, 20006 12: 35am. So if someone uses it after that date (as previously mentioned) you always have proof right here. Besides anyway who needs to copy a story is just...pathetic. I mean we make them up! how hard can it be just to use your imagination.
Oh and if I found out someone had copied my work I'd hunt them down and make my namesake proud...ie Jigsaw the serial killer in Saw and Saw 2.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:12 am
Snoink says...

Find some really good critics who are interested in your work, and then send them your work for proofreading. Some of the best mentors for writing I have had were like that... from TYWC! :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:55 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Mailing it to yourself is known as the "Poor Man's Copyright". Cheap, yet effective.

Although if you write a multi-million dollar novel, I'd suggest going down to the copyright office.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

104 Reviews

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:42 pm
Joeducktape says...

The Black Rose wrote:Everything is always copied off of anything anyway. It's the tream called: cliche'.
Mayhaps not exactly alike! But similar!
That's always a case.

By claiming you own something is claiming a bit of something that everybody else has owned.
YOU OWN THE DEAD PEOPLE!

And that is not always generally a good thing. So I wouldn't worry about it. If you do stumble upon somebody who has your exact words without your permission to use them (after your said topic was posted) complain to a moderator.

The president if you must!

And I bid you good noon, I must return to my article about the chickens...

I would like to be one of those dead people. :wink:

It wasn't just the YWS forum I was worried about too, as Bob stated.

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx