z

Young Writers Society

The Ashes

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:53 pm
Gazza_14 says...

Firestarter wrote:How is baseball macho?

Baseball most a guy has to wait to hit a ball is a few minutes.

In cricket they can be out under pressure for hours upon end.

In baseball pitchers just throw the ball. There's very little technique. In cricket, bowling is regulated, and requires more skill.

And if you me to throw a cricket ball at your head (bowlers often bounce them up aiming to hit the batsmen's head) and see how macho you are, I wouldn't mind trying.

Cricket is painful. Especially if the ball hits your ribs where they wear no protection.

Bravo! Well said, fellow Brit. And yanks, just face it your sports are far girlier than ours. Just take American Football and Rugby.
Stop. Look. Jive!

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:43 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Theres no technique to throwing a fastball? Oh, so i guess you could throw a 100 mile hour pitch too, huh?

At least our guys dont need shin pads, wussies. And your helmets are like football helmets, cuz i guess you just can't handle it. You have all that space to get that ball in. We have a strike zone, missing that means you suck. And your bats are flat, what the hell is the fun in that? you can hit it any way you want too damn easily. Give em a round bat thats about half as wide, and see how well they do.

And baseball isn't painfull? I've been hit by baseballs a number of times, in the head, neck, ribs and thighs. it freakin hurts dude. Know what you do? Walk it off.

We at least require some skill, its not like bouncing a ball and trying to hit some guy in the head, anyone could do that.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:58 pm
Firestarter says...

Try and do it then. Firstly, I doubt you could bowl a ball out of your hand at 90mph. Secondly, I doubt you could do it straight. Thirdly, the point of cricket is to manipulate the batters to do things they don't want to do, playing stupid shots...there requires S-K-I-L-L.

Because, in baseball, you have like nothing to aim at. In cricket we have a thing called a wicket....you have to aim. Not flex your wrist and just chuck the ball. My gran could do that with her eyes closed.

Your guys don't need shin pads because the ball isn't bouncing on the ground in front of their knees....cricket would be a bit of a pointless game if everyone just went off with broken shins and knees all the time...

They wear helmets because it's called safety, concussion isn't the nicest thing in the world....it doesn't stop it hurting. It just stops it killing people. Anyway, your guys wear helmets...what's the difference??

Cricket requires more skill, baseball overall is a simplified game of cricket.....Cricket came first. In cricket you can be out in in 10 different ways.

Just because it is harder to hit the ball in baseball does not make it harder to play, you might think it's easy to hit a ball with a cricket bat, but no doubt you would be caught on your first try.

And why the hell do half your guys need gloves to catch the ball? In cricket we use our hands. It hurts, but we're not women like baseball players.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree.

And get back to the topic.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:25 pm
Ego says...

How about you both just drop the damn rivalry already!? Both games require skill, some similar and some different, both equally hard to master. okay?

And, just so I'm on topic, go Britain. Congrats to them!
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:34 pm
Muse says...

sheesh...
Bravo England, bravo.
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:19 pm
Midnight says...

Qi, It's a leather ball people get blinded! Get over yourself, they're different sports there's no competiton. What's the point, to me baseball is is an overexcited game of rounders and American football a less violent version of rugby (American footballers wear helmets, those that play rugby don't...see) But it's not like Woah there has be to competiton, I don't not like those sports because they're American I just don't know them as you don't know Cricket.

Anyway back to cricket...

I loved it in the first test at Lourdes when they had just had the bowling Masterclass for the tv viewers at lunch and Flintoff came on and did a great LBW (I think, didn't get a wicket) and you could hear him in his Yorkshite accent to Jones ' been watchin the masterclass' as a joke, made me giggle.
Last edited by Midnight on Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
available

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:47 pm
Snoink says...

Midnight, you are so right. That guy looked CUTE.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:09 pm
Firestarter says...

Flintoff came on and did a great LBW (I think, didn't get a wicket) and you could hear him in his Yorkshite accent to Jones ' been watchin the masterclass' as a joke, made me giggle.

errrr....YORKSHIRE??? what???

That's blasphemy.

Flintoff is from Lancashire born and bred. Sheesh. We had a civil war over this...
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

65 Reviews

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:18 pm
Midnight says...

Oops ok I'm sorry classic Southerner mistake...although I did know he was from Lanchasire I got confused. But surely the accent isn't hugely dissemilar?
available

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:36 pm
Firestarter says...

*mutters under breath*

Ignorant southerners....

It's TOTALLY different.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:06 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

my boyfriend would shut up about it afterwords, it was quite endearing to here him ramble on about it.

I have to give him some credit, me being american and all he actually got me to understand cricket once....I think...

hehehe now I have a new favorite retort...MOOHAHAHAHAHA....(just ignore the evilness...)
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

65 Reviews

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:31 pm
Midnight says...

Oh allright lad I'll go stick my ead in a big umble pie
available

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:05 pm
Firestarter says...

Please go back to your cocktail with its little umbrella and your prawn sandwich.

65 Reviews

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:12 pm
Midnight says...

I think you'll find it will be my pint of bitter and cheese+branston pickle sarnie. No, but seriously I have a lot of family from up North...my mistake.
available

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:57 pm
Elelel says...

YAY!!! Rivalry!

NOTE:
If American vs England argument breaks out, I'm probably going to side with England because cricket is better than baseball.
If Australia vs England argument breaks out, I'm on Australia's side (obviously).
If England vs England argument breaks out, I'm watching from the sidelines.
If any other argument breaks out I'll decide when it happens.

Well, I'm going to say that you guys deserved to win this time, we weren't as good as we could be and you were. Well done.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
— C. Northcote Parkinson