z

Young Writers Society

Stage ->Writing Fright

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:03 pm
BeingRivy says...

Hi there. I’m BeingRivy,
How are you today? I have some problems with writing something good in my notebook. I want to brainstorm and write something fun, but every time I try to put my pencil on paper, there is my inner audience (inner critics in my brain), saying whateveeeeeeeeer they want!!!!
When I put my pencil on paper, an audience shouts and screams in my brain. Saying lot’s of angry/upset criticism like: I’m not good enough at writing, I’m not good enough at making my parents happy, I’m not good enough at making others happy with what they really want, I want to be a better writer, but no one wants to support me (as in help me hone my writing craft, and help me with how to be more passionate with writing). No one nearby where I live ever wants to support me because I’m the “Bad Guy”. Well I’m NOT A BAD GUY!!! I just want an answer and no one comes to get me.
I just want to write a story without a whole bunch of self doubt and inner critics bothering my gut instinct!
Please help me. how do you do to start writing when inner critics and doubt bugs you? and move forward? Do you write characters or setting? Or dialogue? Or how do you write more interesting And fun? How can you write without you audience and squash those inner critics forever??? I want to be a better writer and better at honing my craft!!!!!
Just please send me a message. From, BeingRivy .

12 Reviews

Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:10 pm
BeingRivy says...

Hello, please respond to my question above. I'm looking for answers, but I'll bet no one can support me all because of me, and no one can listen. Please just come here, and give me an answer. I have ill will of no one arriving in this forum. Like this forum never happened or existed. RESPOND!!! From, @BeingRivy

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:54 pm
Fishr says...

So, write a story about those inner critics. Those cynical voices will be your strength. They are characters demanding attention. So, you better give them their limelight before they do fall silent.

As humans, we exhibit more faults than any other creature on Earth. In fact, you seem to be keenly aware of your own faults, and can do something every person struggles with; you can tell your audience about your flaws. Most cannot do it.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

12 Reviews

Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:19 pm
BeingRivy says...

Thanks for the response @Fishr . But what about other people? On one hand, I'm too scared to write my fears and cynical inner critic stuff on paper. But on the other hand, I guess you do have a point.
Also i wrote this just for you: "Look, I’m so sorry guys. I wasn’t trying to harass people. And I don’t read the rules to much and I don’t even have time to learn what harassment or spam means and what it looks like... I’m lost, and I just feel like I want help. But I’m always invisible. And I just can’t find enough friends to contact me.I am a person with ASD so I’m the monster, and like @Fishr said before you can’t change who you are. The nightmares and harassment you live in will never be changed, to proved that you changed into the worst person ever. This is not a joke people, I’m serious. I just want love in my life not harassment. It’s Like you said, ASD people are blunt! I’m just a retard with no friends. "
I said this because I always have to be the one who ruins everything. Like pms and chats and forums. So why bother? I'm not trying to ruin stuff. I just want help.
Also here are my flaws and they are the obvious ones:
- I have problems with sentences; sentence structures, past tense and present tense.
- I have a bunch of problems with my characters, pacing, and dialogue.
- I have situations with plotting and making it the genre I want to enjoy, and what people want to enjoy and love it like a classic.
- I have trouble keeping a notebook, as in keeping that notebook, writing whatever i want on it, journaling on it, and brainstorming on it.

And remember that phrase, the one with the bees attracting honey instead of vinegar? I get it what you are telling me. I'm so ill-willed that i'm not being kind to myself. And that if I keep this up, I would do more harm instead of good. Please forgive me. I'm trying my best.

What do you really mean by 'blunt'?
From, @BeingRivy .

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:44 am
View Likes
Omni says...

BeingRivy wrote:how do you do to start writing when inner critics and doubt bugs you? and move forward? Do you write characters or setting? Or dialogue? Or how do you write more interesting And fun? How can you write without you audience and squash those inner critics forever??? I want to be a better writer and better at honing my craft!!!!!
Just please send me a message. From, BeingRivy .

Hey there @BeingRivy!

This is an age old question that I guarantee every writer in the history of writers have had to deal with at one point or another. How do we write when we are our own worst critics? How do we write when we hate what we're putting on paper? How do we write past that feeling of no motivation when we see our words?

The simplest answer I can give is... just do it. Just write.

It does not matter what you write, as long as you are writing.

What does that mean? Well, writing takes two things: patience and practice. Your writing will not be good. I think you must accept that and move on. Any contemporary book you have read (so any within the past fifty years) have gone through multiple drafts. That means that what they have written first was not publishing material, or probably wasn't anything even near what the latest draft was about.

You can ask over and over again how you will be able to write if you can't, and the biggest and best answer I can give is that-- you won't if you don't. Just write. Just write. You might hate what you write, you probably will hate what you write, but as long as you're putting something on the paper, you're in a better position than before, when you had nothing written.

You will find that you will be far better at editing a draft than writing it to begin with. You will be better at critiquing something than critiquing a blank document. The hardest part is to get something substantial to than mold into what you want at a later date. We all have our reasons and excuses as to why we shouldn't write or why we can't write. In the end, just writing something is better than writing nothing.

Now that I've said that, I want to move on from the original topic. At the moment, I don't think you're gaining anything from continuously asking how to write if you don't put some practice into it. So, I urge you to put in practice in writing a bit every day!

There's a club here that encourages you to write 22 minutes every day. It doesn't have to be 22 minutes in one setting, just 22 minutes throughout the day. You document it, encourage others, and get trophies for writing daily. The club is 22in22 Support Group. You can also post on your wall what you wrote for that day. Instead of focusing on why you can't write, I think you should focus on when you do write, and encourage yourself when you do!

Happy writing~
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

12 Reviews

Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:00 pm
BeingRivy says...

Hi @Omni,

I’m going to write, I’m actually writing a comic, but I can’t tell you what is it about because people will expect more from me. What if I go viral? And I have to act really fast like a Polaroid camera. That’s why I don’t show my writing to my friends. Because people just want to hear more from me, and when people don’t listen to what I want to say, I have to force them to. It’s out of my control. I can’t help but let them help me. I just want friends but no one listens and I’m not popular enough.

You can also post on your wall what you wrote for that day. Instead of focusing on why you can't write, I think you should focus on when you do write, and encourage yourself when you do!

Can you be more specific? I don’t know what you mean by focusing on when I write. What if people in the YWS want more for me than just writing private journal entries. I just want people to trust me.
I’m also upset, as I keep harassing people I don’t want that. I feel sad that I don’t write enough. I have to do something. But what? I know it’s up to me. And I did start a journal+diary that’s all for myself. But I have to make people like me. What goal of sticking to advice do I start with based on my stories I wrote for YWS???
Send me a message. From, @BeingRivy

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:03 am
Omni says...

@BeingRivy

I think that's awesome that you're deciding to write comics! I think that's a cool genre and I hope to see a comic of yours on the shelves one day ^^

I think you're asking unreasonable questions that have no answer.

What if I go viral? And I have to act really fast like a Polaroid camera.

Worrying about potentially going viral or famous with your writing is like worrying you're going to get eaten by a shark and then struck by lightning. The odds of that happening is so low that there's no point in worrying. Just focus on writing. YWS is a place you can share you writing to get better. Our site is a unique writing site in that it is built around a critique system. The more writing you want to put on the site, the more reviews you must do. Revealing your writing to friends is a deeply personal and vulnerable thing, so I emphasize with you not wanting to do that just yet. However, you can always share your writing here with no worries.

I just want friends but no one listens and I’m not popular enough.

Life isn't a popularity contest. There's a community here on YWS that will accept you with open arms if you give it a chance.

Can you be more specific? I don’t know what you mean by focusing on when I write.

Sure! Right now, it seems you are focusing on worrying about hypotheticals and "what-ifs", aka "What if I go viral?" "What if people expect more from me?" "What if people don't like my writing?" lots of what ifs here. And a lot of it is negative and worrying. Instead of asking yourself a lot of what ifs and stressing yourself over those what ifs, I suggest you encourage yourself to write and applaud and celebrate when you do.

That way, instead of worrying and focusing on what ifs, you are focusing on writing and celebrating what writing you do do, instead of the writing you don't do.

YWS will not ask you to do anything you don't want to do. There are no expectations here. We offer encouragement, guidance, critiques, and community.

I also think you're too focused on getting people to like you. You don't need to. Just focus on writing. This is a writing site, after all. Write a chapter of a story, publish it, write another, get critiques on chapter one and implement them into chapter two.

What goal of sticking to advice do I start with based on my stories I wrote for YWS???

I'm glad you're asking questions on how to keep writing! Keep your mind on this! It's far healthier than the other questions you're asking. As for some advice on creating a habit out of writing:

-As before, I recommend #22in22 Support Group. To get started, simply create a thread to document your daily writing. When you write, put it in the thread and you can get encouragement from your fellow writers and trophies.

-You can also try a Word Crawl. Word Crawls are interactive writing goals. If you like Harry Potter, here's a Harry Potter Word Crawl

-Set personal goals and start writing towards them. You can always just set a general wordcount goal for yourself like 10,000 words.

-Camp NaNo is in April. This is a practice run of NaNoWriMo, where the goal is to write 50000 words in a month. Now, you can always try for an easier goal of 10k, 20k, or others, but there's a huge community surrounding NaNo, even outside of YWS.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

Writing is my soul made tangible on paper.
— bluewaterlily