z

Young Writers Society

another newbie (:

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:30 pm
Chloe says...

Hi, I'm Chloe, as the username suggests :) basically I quite like doing anything creative, I'm into art as well as writing. I'm generally quite a lazy writer (i.e I start things but give up after a while) but I'm hoping being part of this site will help to motivate me. I mainly do poetry, been into poetry since I was small lol.
So yeah, basically I'm looking forward to making some friends on here and developing my writing :)

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:41 pm
Carlito says...

Hey Chloe, welcome to YWS! :D

If you haven't already, I would recommend reading the Rules. It's kind of long and boring but it gives a lot of good info on the site. The two main things to keep in mind are:
-2:1 ratio: for everything you submit for a review, we ask that you review at least two other things first.
-No chat speak: We want to keep this site as sophisticated as possible so try not to talk lIkE tHiS :) Try to use proper grammar and spelling too. (If you're not sure if you've spelled everything right, above the reply window there is a 'check spelling' tab.)

Everyone here is really nice so I don't think you'll have any trouble making friends and even if you don't think you are, you will improve while you're here :)

Now to the really hard questions...
What kind of music do you listen to? Who's your favorite author? What's your favorite kind of cookie? If you were a shoe, what kind of shoe would you be and why? If you could have any superpower, what would you chose and why?

I hope you have a great time here and if you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

5 Reviews

Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:56 pm
Chloe says...

Hi Carly :)

My music taste is extremely mixed, over the last few years with the whole 'growing up' scenario, I went through an awful lot of phases, and now I've come out the other end with a taste that is basically an amalgamation of everything, though I do tend to lean more towards the indie, acoustic, happy, colourful end of the spectrum. I also love disco and club music, anything I can dance and party to really! Also love anything with meaningful lyrics, guess that's the side of me that's interested in coming out...
(gosh that was a long answer)

My favourite author has to be Jodi Picoult, no doubt. I've been reading her books for the last 4 years and they are amazing. Highly recommended to anybody, and I've gotten many a friend into her books. I also love Wilbur Smith, that's probably because I'm really interested in Ancient Egypt and he writes about it so well. There's also James Patterson, who I swear must be psychotic because no 'normal' person could write thrillers quite so covincingly scary as he does.

My favourite kind of cookie is a simple chocolate chip. Sometimes I'm adventurous and even go for white chocolate!

If I were a shoe I would be a sandal because I think they can make an outfit, especially with bright pink nail polish. The only downside to them are the tan lines.

I can't choose one superpower here. It'd either have to be flight or invisibility. Flight simply because I think it would be awesome, and invisibility probably suggests I'm nosy. I just like to know what's going on :)

Wow, this was a very long response! I'm feeling inspired now for some writing :) lols

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:14 pm
Carlito says...

Wow, you're like scarily similar to me :)
I went through some pretty strange musical obsessions, (Cher, to Avril Lavigne, to Evanescence and Nickelback, and now Paramore), but I've also arrived on indie/alternative. Who are some of your favorite bands/singers. I love Imogen Heap, Sufjan Stevens, Rooney and Death Cab. :)
James Patterson is my favorite person on the planet. I can't imagine my life right now without that wonderful, wonderful man :P
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

5 Reviews

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:24 pm
Chloe says...

James Patterson is wonderful but petrifies me. He's such a clever writer but sometimes I wish he wasn't quite so good. I'd lay in bed after reading Kiss The Girls frozen with the prospect of having someone in my walls. It also doesn't help that his books are so gripping that even at night when it's getting dark I still ignore my better judgement and continue reading... damn that man :P

I have a few favourites. I've always liked Panic, The Killers, Scouting For Girls, The Feeling etc. Anything that is generally quite uplifting. I'm also going through a Calvin Harris phase, and The Mile After are just legendary. There are plenty more too :) I like a lot of different artists, and after seeing them live I tend to love them a lot more.

Tell me something about yourself :)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:16 am
Snoink says...

True story!

Once, I was walking and I saw a lost dog sign that said "Chloe." Not knowing how to pronounce the dog's name, but wanting to help, I wandered the streets yelling, "Ch-low" for the better part of the hour.

...yup. :)

The poetry forums are actually really good here, for the most part, so you should get a bunch of constructive critiques. If you need any help, just bug me. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:32 am
WaterVyper says...

Hi Chloe! Hate to barge in on a conversation, but I'm just wondering if you knew about the groups. They are groups that are made for people who like the same things, like Harry Potter, Narnia, music, etcetera. You can join these groups to talk with other people on that subject, and it makes for a very nice atmosphere. Also, people can make their own groups, but there are a certain set of guidelines.

You can read [url=http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic27456.htmlhere[/url] for more information. I don't think we have a group about James Patterson yet. Maybe you could start one. There is a usegroup for Maximum Ride, but I haven't seen one for James Patterson in general.

Anyway, Chloe, it's great to meet you. I hope I can see you around YWS later on. If you need anything, you're free to PM me. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:06 am
Angels-Symphony says...

Hi Chloe ^^ Welcome to YWS :) I'm Shina, another one of those blue-titled people known as greeters. It is my job and my pleasure to greet the newbs of YWS.

Need inspiration? Motivation? Simple! Just go to the contest forum and they'll give you a lot to write about. You should befriend Jon (wisemann211? I don't know the numbers). He sends random poetry contests all the time!

Uh-oh. My tummy is grumblin'. Better get me some food!

Good Luck and Have fun!

-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:22 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

^_^ Welcome to YWS!

(You're the first person I welcome in almost a year! XD)

You sound a lot like my sister, she plays lots of instruments and does lots of art (she actually goes to an art school). Lucky for me and my ego, she doesn't write so I don't have to sit in awe of her writing talent as well as her other talents. =P

I think you've made a good choice coming here. I used to have (still do, actually >_>) the same problem with not finishing anything. But once I got my work out and people gave me feedback I felt really motivated to keep writing. (Just don't pick up my bad habbit of reworking the same chapter over and over until you can't stand it anymore =P)

Someone's already warned you about the 2:1 rule, so I won't bug you about it. But keep in mind that reviewing is also a great way of making friends. Just like you appreciate people looking at your work, people will appreciate you looking at theirs and might even return the favor! Just a tip. :wink:

Again, welcome! If you have any questions or need a friend, feel free to PM me anytime.

^_^ Keek

[Edit]

I forgot your coupon! *gives coupon for one free review* :D
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:05 pm
Chloe(: says...

Hey, my name is Chloe too. Call me that amazing name, or feel free to call me any variation of my username or Chloe.

Chloe is ten on the top baby name list 2008. *high fives*

As Sleeping Valor said above, you made a great choice coming here. Before I came here, my writing was terrible. Horrible, like to the extreme. And that was only about six months ago. Now my writing has improved so much, it's crazy! It's not great but it's so much better!

So that's pretty much all for now. Feel free to PM me if you want me to critique something (I like doing poetry,) or if you have any questions!
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:37 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey Chloe,

Welcome to YWS.

If you need anything, feel free to pm me.

See ya around.

NM
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

If you have a Kuzco in your life and they don't turn into a llama, bail.
— Alan SeaWright