We; An Ode to Writers

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:36 am
phantom_blackfire_wings says...

We,
Who fly higher than the angels.
We,
Whose voice reaches farther than the wolves’ song.
We,
Whose courage is that of a lion.

We,
Whose wishes light up the night sky.
We,
Whose light shines like the sun.
We,
Who face the unknown inside us.
We,

With the pen and the page.
We,
With the words to fill them.
We,
The scribes of the human race.
Last edited by phantom_blackfire_wings on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What are you doing?"
"I've got paint and rollers...water sking"~The Philanthropist

Don't push the Red Button

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:49 am
kris says...

Incredible. Very well thought out indeed. You have touched on a subject that is very sympathetic to those who will read it :P you sly fox.

It reads, very smoothly. I did not have any trouble with the rhythm at all. I only think that the end seems a little flat, in comparison to the very vivid and eloquent use of language before it.

Other than that. FANTABULOUS!

x-kris-x

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:59 pm
Samsal says...

this is nice. i like it, though i thought that it ended suddenly. i expected more for the ending.still it is a very cool poem. :)

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:39 pm
Eimear says...

Hmmm, good concept and idea. A real dash of spirit for your and our passion here. Nice! Although- it seems more like the beginnings of a piece here. There are some things I would add- firstly, even though it's an ode, show us more. Secondly, scrap the repetition of 'we' as I grew tired of reading it and it lost it's punch. Be careful about being overly dramatic about writers as well. You can use more powerful imagery without actually saying 'we are great' if you get my drift. Anyway, good start here- now take it to the next level!

Best wishes,

Eimear xx
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:02 pm
Monki says...

That's really awesome that you had the idea to write an Ode to Writers! I would've never thought of that.

I mean, come on, it's an Ode to Writers! And it's so personal. I feel like it's MADE for me!

Lmao. Great job.

I have no comments other than those. I really loved this.

Need any critiques, PM me!

<3,
Monki
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:27 pm
writ3rindisguis3 says...

Wow, an Ode to us writers! Amazing. I totally loved it!

The ending was kind of abrupt and left me hanging. I think there might be something more you could add to make it end smoothly.

Thanks for thinking outside of the box and writing something different from everyone else.

Becca

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:05 am
LowKey says...

Hallo! :D

phantom_blackfire_wings wrote:We
Who fly higher than the angels
We
Whose voice reaches farther than the wolves’ song
We
Whose courage is that of a lion

We
Whose wishes light up the night sky
We
Whose light shines like the sun
We
Who face the unknown inside us
We

With the pen and the page
We
With the words to fill them
We
The scribes of the human race

Mkay, this is a very, very, very long sentence. When it comes to grammar and punctuation and that sort of thing, you do the same in poems as you do in stories. To help out with this so you don't end up with commas al the end of every line break, take out the line breaks.

So:

We Who fly higher than the angels We Whose voice reaches farther than the wolves’ song We Whose courage is that of a lion We Whose wishes light up the night sky We Whose light shines like the sun We Who face the unknown inside us We With the pen and the page We With the words to fill them We The scribes of the human race

1. Caps.

2. Punctuation

3. Ending.

We, who fly higher than the angels, we, whose voice reaches farther than the wolves’ song, we, whose courage is that of a lion, we, whose wishes light up the night sky, we, whose light shines like the sun, we, who face the unknown inside us, we, with the pen and the page, we, with the words to fill them, we, the scribes of the human race

^^ You see? Much better. But read through it. Notice anything? It's a sentence fragment. A really long sentence fragment.

It reminds me of "We Real Cool" in the wording and rhythm, which is fin. It's just that "We Real Cool" wasn't a sentence fragment, and it had some punctuation. What about you?

The easy fix is to change the last one to "We are the scribes of..."

But the easy way isn't always the best way.You could also do it a different way, with periods instead of commas at the end of each thing. So:

We, who fly higher than the angels. We, whose voice reaches farther than the wolves’ song.

I personally like the second one better, so I'm going to roll with that. You can do what ever you want, though. Your poem.

We,
We.
Whose voice reaches farther than the wolves’ song.
We,
Whose courage is that of a lion.

We,
Whose wishes light up the night sky.
We,
Whose light shines like the sun.
We,
Who face the unknown inside us.
We, [I'm not really a fan of that line break... I liked how the stanzas all stared with 'we'. Maybe move this 'we' down with the next stanza?]

With the pen and the page.
We,
With the words to fill them.
We,
The scribes of the human race.

^^ Easier read.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:28 am
Demeter says...

You're pretty clever, did you know? Dedicating this to us writers. Being so enthusiastic about the idea, we don't really spot any mistakes. Haha. But I liked it, though.

We

Whose wishes light up the night sky

We

Whose light shines like the sun

We

Who face the unknown inside us

We

I like the lonely "we" in the end; it kind of leaves the thought open to Us.

The ending is, indeed, a little abrupt. You could maybe expand the good idea of the poem and make it greater. But nice job, overall.

See you around!
Demeter xx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:22 pm
phantom_blackfire_wings says...

Wow!

Thanks, everyone, for the critiques!

I'll get working on that ending. :)

--
Risa
"What are you doing?"
"I've got paint and rollers...water sking"~The Philanthropist

Don't push the Red Button

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:40 pm
Snoink says...

Hola!

This poem seems a bit too disconnected and underdeveloped to me. Maybe it's just because I hate politics, but it seems like one of those annoying political speeches on TV. "We are this! We are that! We are this and that!" And I'm a horribly weird person, but when I am watching these things, I think, "What's your POINT?" Oh yeah... I love politics.

With that said, I like the first two lines:

We,

I think it's cool. But I want you to expand on this. Instead of just going on an endless circle of WEs, why not develop this thought and compare writers more thoroughly to angels? Maybe, by flying higher than angels, we are more able to touch the face of God and get a glimpse of truth? Maybe, by flying higher than angels, we're actually getting closer to our own destruction. Why are you comparing us writers with angels? There's a lot of ways that you can take this, and by skipping over this, it seems like you're deliberately trying to avoid the interesting subject. Don't. :P Develop your ideas fully and take your time. This can be a lovely poem, but only if you look more deeper into your subject.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases...
— John Keats