Ghostly Alley; Chapter one

by writerkitty

“I have to get out of here,” I muttered as I ran across the dark alley. The sky above was pitch black and the cold wind sent a tingle up my spine. The streetlights weren’t working and my flashlight had no batteries in it. I’m really going to kill Tina when I find her. It’s all her fault!

Her stupid prank went too far this time. I should’ve never asked directions to Katie’s house from her! The anger rising inside me managed to hide the terror for a few minutes. But getting lost in a dark alley at night without any sight of life can be pretty scary.

Tina asked me to use this path as a shortcut, and I was foolish enough to trust her.

The alley was crowded and bright at first, but as I moved on it became dark and abandoned. Thick, high walls stood on either side like giant guards in black armor, a few rats ran across the stony ground narrowly missing my feet. I breathed in slowly; the damp smell invaded my nostrils.

That’s it. I’m going to turn back. I’m not going any further than this.

I shivered as another cold wind blew right past me. Strangely enough, it seemed to whisper something into my year as it brushed past me.  Keep yourself together Meg, it's all in your head.

I told myself and increased my speed. For some weird reason, I just felt that turning back wasn't the best idea. 

Screeeech! 

The ear piercing sound made me stop dead in my tracks. Someone was scraping the walls with a sharp edge  Slowly, I looked over my shoulder. Nothing was there; only the pitch blackness stared at me. 

I let out a deep sigh, my legs began to feel wobbly as I heard the same ear piercing noise again. This time, it came from the floor. "Who...who's there?" I asked, my voice trembling.

'Sssssssshhhhh....she's coming.' A low whisper came from the wall  right next to me.  I backed away from it quickly, accidentally getting tangled in my own feet. I landed on the cold stone floor with a thud., "Who said that?"

My voice was almost a whisper, my throat felt dry as I took in short quick breaths, it was the only sound that echoed through the dark alley for a few seconds.

Die...die...die...

The eerie whisper met my ears again. This time it just came from nowhere! My heart skipped as I struggled to get up, my whole body felt numb by the coldness and the fear that kept on increasing. 

"Leave me alone"I choked, running though the alley as fast as I can, "I just want to get out of here."

The walls on either side of me had dark stains on them, maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me, but it looked a lot like blood. 

I came to a halt, grasping hold of the front part of my hoodie, I almost felt my heartbeat. My face was covered with sweat. The strange voices were gone, at least for now. 

Before I could even calm myself down, an extremely cold hand grasped hold of my shoulder. A jolt of pain shot through my body as the long sharp fingers tightened its grip on my aching shoulder. 

I tried my best to make a run for it, but I was feeling too shaky and weak. I turned my head quickly to see my attacker. 

A  face, completely white with only two deep black holes in place of eyes met mine. A scream escaped my lips, but the figure disappeared into thin air before I was able to do anything else. 

I felt dizzy, I leaned against on of  the walls taking  deep breaths, only to discover that the hunch I made earlier was right, the walls were stained with blood. 

The smell of fresh blood made me, even more, dizzier. It smelled like rusted iron. My hand was covered with the sticky red substance. Using all my remaining strength, I backed away from the wall and accidentally bumped into something. 

I turned around quickly because I was pretty sure there was nothing behind me earlier, a jolt of horror shot through my body. A tall, slim lady wearing a long black dress that stretched up to the ground was standing right in front me. Her face was bright white and her eyes were black as coal. Her thin lips looked dried up and cracked. She wetted them with her long pink tongue.

“Well, well, well. Who do we have here?” She said in a deep raspy voice that pierced through my ears.

Her long fingers pulled back a strand straight black hair from her face. “You know it’s not safe for a young girl to wander out alone at this time of the…day.”

“Um,” I took a step back trying to get over the dizzy feeling. “I’m lost…well, I was just going to turn back but there was this..." My throat felt dry and the words didn't come out of my mouth. 

“Turn back?” She snapped taking a step closer. Revealing that her eyes weren’t black, she Didn’t have eyes at all. Two empty sockets were there. And part of her pointy nose was missing. I wanted to throw up, but I managed to hold it back.

“Such fancy clothing, such beautiful eyes,” She whispered. She lowered her head and stared at my clothes. I was wearing a white jumper with normal blue trousers and black sneakers. And now I had stains of blood on them.  My heart skipped at the very sight of the woman, but I tried my best to act calm. 

I took another step back. “Um, I think I should get going. I have to get there before five.” I stared at my watch; it was 9:00 pm. I’m pretty sure that I entered the alley at 6:00. No way I couldn’t have walked for three hours! This was no ordinary Alley, I figured that out a while ago, but something told me that getting out of here won't be that easy.

“I love the darkness, It makes my victims so unhappy.” She said with a sigh and limped towards me.

“Victims…” I repeated, my throat feeling dry.

The weird lady nodded and smiled, I would never forget that wicked smile. Her unnaturally white teeth glistened and two weird whole appeared on either side of her face when she smiled. 

“Just stay away from me!” I screamed as I ran down the alley ignoring all the weird moans and screams coming from either side. I’ve watched plenty of horror movies, but I never thought that I’d have to experience such things.

Adrenaline rushed though my veins as the path got even darker and the moans became louder.

“There’s nowhere to run little girl. If I were you,I’d just end this right now.” An ear piercing whisper made my body tingle.

“No…” a whisper escaped my mouth as I saw a dead end in front of me. No, no, no, why’s there a dead end? 

My body shivered as I saw some figures lying on the ground in front of the dead end. As I got closer, I found out that those weren't just figures. Dead bodies were everywhere... most of them were rotting, and I could see the deep cuts in their faces and body.

The floor was covered with blood and the foul smell or rotting bodies made me gag. 

“I told you,”

I slammed myself against the high brick wall trying to ignore all the rotting bodies around me. The crazy  woman was coming closer and closer. Sweat was pouring down my face and my heart was pounding like crazy.

“My little victim,” The cooed as she pulled out a sharp object, most probably a knife. “It’s time to feel the pain, you're going to join my collection very soon.”

I took in a deep breath. I was petrified. My whole body was cold and shivery. “Let me go! what do you even want from me?” I choked.

“I want to see you suffer,” was the reply. She pointed on of her long, bony fingers towards the corpses. "I'm going to release your soul; you can roam this alley forever little soul"

“Well, yeah that’s a nice idea and all, but I don’t think I want to see that happen.”A voice came out of nowhere.

At first, I thought it was my mind playing tricks on me, but the same voice spoke up again, “Threatening to kill innocent teenagers and kids isn’t nice you know?”

“What?” The ghostly woman hissed. “Who’s there, show yourself?”

I was still petrified, but I managed to look up. The voice was coming a few feet above us.

A shadowy figure of a tall person met my eyes. They seemed to be hanging on the wall using a rope or something.

The crazy woman let out a low giggle. “Ah, another human child…I’ll get to you soon after I kill this one,” she said raising her knife once more to stab me; I closed my eyes tightly, fearing to know what would happen next.

“Aww, But I wanna die first,” The person spoke up again. It was a male voice. Perhaps the voice of a male who’s in his mid-teens.

What? What on earth was this weird person talking about, is he even human? is he trying to save me, or is this all a prank? Is Tina trying to prank me?

Nope, I don’t know who Tina is, but listen…on the count of three, you gotta jump as high as you can, understand?” The boy’s voice echoed inside my head.

My eyes widened with horror. Did he just read my thoughts…and did he just speak telepathically?

First, a weird ghostly lady who’s trying to kill me and now a weird guy who can read my thoughts. It was really too much to bear for a scaredy cat like me. I began to feel dizzy, but the voice spoke up in my mind again, “If you want to live, do as I say. You hear me, you gotta be brave.”

I nodded, trying my best to keep myself together. Staying alive was all that matters. I stared at the creepy woman and then at the sharp knife in her hand. She seemed to be surprised by how brave the boy was. He didn’t seem to be scared at all!

“Well, you old hag, I have something for you. Before you kill the girl, I’m gonna give it to you.” He said to break the silence.

Now’s your chance girl, One,two,three!’ His voice boomed in my head. Using all my remaining strength, I jumped up. I heard a wild scream coming from below and everything began to get blurry…until it all turned pitch black.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:06 pm
ElegantEgt wrote a review...

Hi writerkitty,
This chapter is absolutely amazing! It tells us a whole load of information about what the main character is like, and why she is in the mess that she is in. My only criticism for this is that you might have given too much excitement away in the first chapter. So now you have to be consistent with the dramatic scenes.
I love that you didn't just use one boring adjective to describe for example the crazy woman, and you really though about what you wanted the woman to look like.
I really like this chapter because I can actually visualise the scenario and every little thing happening, and I can imagine myself in the main characters shoes.
Well done for this chapter, please continue!
ElegantEgt

writerkitty says...

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! :)
Chapter two is also there if you're interested. ^_^ Ghostly Alley; Chapter two

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:58 pm
Megrim wrote a review...

Neat start! I was kind of wondering if she WOULD get turned into a ghost, and the story would be about her learning about ghost life and haunting the alley and having ghost problems. But I see she's going to be just fine, which I suppose was always the more likely outcome.

I really like that you started the story right where things start getting interesting. It's not so close to the action that we're confused about all the madness going on, but it does start right before the inciting incident/life-changing moment/whatever you want to call it. A lot of times there's the temptation to, for example, write a whole chapter with her going through a day at school, then she arrives at the alley by the end of ch1 or even 2, and all this stuff begins later. The way you've done it is totally the more appropriate way: get us into the meat and bones of the story as soon as possible.

I did get a little overwhelmed with how much was happening in the alley. It was a bit like--there's this, and that, and these sounds and that sounds, and a presence, and blood, and a person, and another person. Objectively, I don't think there's too much, but the style in which it's thrown at us one piece at a time made me feel like "there's another thing, and ANOTHER thing? and ANOTHER?" Maybe if you could condense those paragraphs down, so it's less spread out?

One technical thing--use of exclamation points in the narrative. I only ever use them in dialogue, and then sparingly. Some famous author or other described it as like laughing at your own joke. If the sentence has enough impact, the reader will get it would the need for the !

And for my last thought, probably one you're not going to be thrilled about... the representation of women in fiction. When you initially didn't specify what gender her saviour's voice was, I was hoping against hope that it was a woman, even though I knew deep down it was going to be a guy. Lo and behold, it was. So we have the terrified, useless girl, getting saved by the knowledgeable (probably handsome) guy, who's going to whisk her off, protect her, teach her the ways of the supernatural, and probably turn into the love interest. I'm sure this is how you envisioned it and you're in love with him and you won't want to change it. But I can't urge you enough to challenge this stereotype. Two options here, that I think could be equally interesting:
1) Female protagonist, rescued by another capable female. Either SHE is the love interest, or there's another guy they meet, part of saviour-female's team/headquarters/whatevs
2) MALE protagonist, rescued by a female.

It's just... augh... this situation... having her rescued by a guy... it makes me cringe, I'm sorry. It's everywhere, EVERYWHERE in fiction. People try and claim female characters are strong just because they're sassy or can punch stuff, but they still ALWAYS seem to depend on men. I really urge you to think about these things and do some soul-searching on the topic (or even better, some research & reading! spreading awareness hooray). Because despite all our advances, female characters are still very regularly portrayed poorly in fiction. As writers we have the power to change that.

writerkitty says...

Thank you so much for the awesome review!! :)

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:28 pm
Sins wrote a review...

Why, hello there :P

I noticed this int he green room, then realised it was something of yours, and was just like omg, I'm so reviewing this. So... voila!

You've got a super interesting set up here, and so far, it's very original. I can't predict what's going to happen next, or what your narrator has gotten herself into, which is definitely a massive bonus. Unpredictability is good, especially in a horror story! I love that you land us straight into the action, and things turn interesting very quickly. You've got a good narrative-dialogue balance, your pace was well controlled, and the general flow of everything was good. The male character is intriguing too; I immediately found myself wondering who the heck he is, and why he's so confident around this creepy woman.

One thing I'd like to see is a bit more of an eerie opening. Considering the nature of the story you've got here, I want it to begin and for me to immediately feel on edge. You create this sort of atmosphere a little, but I really think you could build on it like crazy so that us readers know we're in for something super creepy by the end of the first paragraph. Maybe begin the story with a description, a setting of the scene. Really spice up the creepiness from the get go. Describe to us the eeriness of the night, show us how scared and nervous your narrator is, put us in the situation she's in. As I'm sure you know, the opening of a story is one of the most important parts, so you really do need to grab your readers' attention. Considering this is part of the horror genre, a great way of doing that is setting up the scene and freaking us out before anything scary has even happened!

Something else I have to say is that I'd like to see you introduce us to the creepy lady who wants to murder our narrator a little differently. She appears a little randomly at the moment. Having her appear suddenly and out of nowhere is fine, but if you do that, make sure you creep us out with her description and general existence when she does appear. You give a decent introduction to her, but I just want a bit more. Alternatively, instead of having her suddenly appear, you could create a sort of build up. Just small hints towards the fact something eerie is going on, that your narrator isn't alone in this alleyway. I'm a little biased because I personally prefer a build up of tension, as opposed to scary things appearing from nowhere, but I do genuinely think that way of doing things can often be more effective. Freak us out before we even see this lady, and then when we do see her, make us pee our pants.

Speaking of peeing out pants, I did find that your narrator didn't seem very scared very often. I mean, she was, and you did say she was... but I didn't feel it so much. I think part of it was to do with some somewhat sarcastic(?) comments she made e.g. saying how the holes in her cheeks weren't dimples. It took away a little from the fear factor. I'm a little torn because comments like that add dimension to a character, but I just can't help feeling like in these kinds of situations, people wouldn't really think things like that. They'd kind of just think oh, holy crap, what the hell is happening?! and freak out, y'know? As opposed to be able to make observations such as the holes in this woman's cheeks not being dimples. I'm being crazy picky here, to be fair, but I do think you could amp up how scared your narrator comes across.

Critiques aside, you definitely have something with potential here. I have no idea where you'll take this if you continue writing it, which is a really great thing, and I'm intrigued to find out who exactly this guy is. You know the drill anywho; any questions, comments e.t.c. regarding this review, just let me know and I'll answer/reply to them ASAP :P

Keep writing,

xoxo S(k)ins

writerkitty says...

^_^ Thank you for the awesome review Skins! :P I'll make those changes right away.
Actually, this is the first time I tried to write a horror story. And I did notice that my character didn't seem scared....but I was confused about how to fix that... ^^ Thank you so much for pointing that out and helping me to fix it.

This is review was really helpful just like all your other reviews.
Have an awesome day!

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:08 pm
KaiRyu says...

THIS STORY IS AMAZING!!!!!!

writerkitty says...

Thank you so much!!! :D

Only the suppressed word is dangerous.
— Ludwig Borne