Burnt Out Stars

by thetwofridas

You would not cower in the face of your heart,

Or your dreams,

And that was how I knew I was wishing on burnt out stars,

That they were not shooting but dying,

That we were not strong, we were desperate,

And why would you look at me when you could look at her?

I covered my eyes but I could still hear you speak,

And dear god, why can’t I say what I mean? 

I have a list of things your voice reminds me of,

A clatter of a spoon,

A sunflower stem, 

The sun breaking through a hurricane,

Your windpipe filling with rain,

Like honey seeping to the bottom of the sea,

Would you recognise the voice of me,

If I were to let you, 

This is what I’d say, 

If the world could not see me I wouldn’t even stay.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:52 am
Radrook wrote a review...

Thanks for sharing. I like the indirect way that the poem demands a deep delving into its nuances in order to understand it. For example, the key to understanding the introduction is provided by the reference to a her. Only then can we understand what is meant by the cowering in the face of his dreams.

If he has dreams of her and his heart impels him, then the speaker would want him to cower instead of plowing brazenly ahead. Since he doesn’t cower, then the speaker knows that her hopes of reaching him are useless. She covers her eyes but could still hear him speaking to her.

The rest of the poem seems to be a recollection of memories that are triggered by visual images and sounds. The statement the she is not letting him hear her voice seems to indicate theat the relationship is no longer in effect and that thetee s a very significant distance now, In short that the he mentioned earlier has won.

Suggestions:

If I were to let you[?]

[“]If the world could not see me I wouldn’t even stay.[”]

your heart, [cliche’]

they were not shooting

[Made me wonder why the speaker believes that stars shoot. and that lack of shooting means they are burnt out. The word [shooting] might be seen as subliminal imagery which suggests a desire to shoot the offending person.]

And dear [God,] why can’t I say what I mean?

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:04 pm
EKK15 wrote a review...

Hi! Just stopping by for a quick review.

I really liked this poem; it seems like a simple love poem that we've all read, but the way you worded things and made it go a lot deeper than the typical. My favorite part is the part about the sounds:

"I have a list of things your voice reminds me of,

A clatter of a spoon,

A sunflower stem,

The sun breaking through a hurricane,

Your windpipe filling with rain,

Like honey seeping to the bottom of the sea,"

I like how most of those things don't have a specific sound effect, but you can associate some sort of sound and volume to them. Its a really unique way to describe someones voice.

I also like how the rhyming didn't seem forced at all; everything fit in well and didn't seem to be stretched at all, which I know happens with a lot of poetry.

I do, however, think that if you separated it into 2 stanzas it would be stronger. For example:

"You would not cower in the face of your heart,
Or your dreams,
That they were not shooting but dying,

A clatter of a spoon,
A sunflower stem,
The sun breaking through a hurricane,
Your windpipe filling with rain,
Would you recognise the voice of me,
If I were to let you,
This is what I’d say,
If the world could not see me I wouldn’t even stay."

I feel like that is when the ideas are both strong enough on their own to be separated. So it doesn't drag on.

Overall the piece is very strong and I really did like it! Hope this helps a bit! Keep up the good work!!!

-E

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:26 am
Que wrote a review...

Hi thetwofridas! Sorry it took me so long to get to this. Just as a heads up, I can sometimes get a little bit rambley in reviews, so just let me know if you don't understand anything. And of course you're the author of this wonderful piece, so all suggestions are only suggestions!

Overall, I'm really fond of this. You've got some good imagery going on here, especially near the end. You do tend to use commas as a go-to at the end of lines, and they don't always fit. Think about it this way: if you didn't have the line breaks, do the commas make sense there? You can see what other punctuation might fit better as well!

It's also a big long, and you may want to consider splitting it into two stanzas. Perhaps you already had it split -- the formatting can get a little messed up sometimes. If you want, I can tell you how to do a line break in the code if you can't get it to work.

I'm going to take it a few lines at a time now and just sort of comment. ^_^

Or your dreams,

These lines confuse me a bit. Usually, you would cower (or not cower, in this case) in the face of fear, or maybe a monster. But heart and dreams seem positive, so I'm not quite sure what you're trying to get at here. And then you say "that was how I knew", but I'm not sure how the previous two lines would indicate that the narrator is wishing on burnt stars. What meaning are you trying to convey here? It's not very clear, at least to me.

I really love this line. I think it's strong. So strong, in fact, that you might want to emphasize that by putting a period at the end or even having a line break right afterwards. Nice job with that though!

I hope you aren't married to past tense here! I think that "could" makes this lovely line a little bit bulkier. I would suggest just removing it, or you could remove it and change "hear" to "heard" if you really want to stick with past tense.

A clatter of a spoon,

I would say the clatter of a spoon? I can't think of any specific grammatical reason, but it sounds better that way in my mind.

A sunflower stem,
The sun breaking through a hurricane,

The use of sun twice here, even though one is a flower, doesn't entirely feel right. If you want, you could replace one or the other. For example, you could say "dandelion" in place of sunflower or "blue sky" in place of sun. It's not really redundant, though, so it's fine if you leave it as is too.

Your windpipe filling with rain,

I'm so digging this. To be honest, with these two lines right next to each other, I'm kind of imagining honey filling a windpipe as well, which is interesting and neat. Love it.

Would you recognise the voice of me,
If I were to let you,
This is what I’d say,

Nice lines, but I can't for the life of me figure out what they're referring to, how they're grouped. The meaning could change drastically with a little poke in one direction or another. First of all, the "If I were to let you" but needs something after it. Let you what? Okay, then the meaning. Did you want, "Would you recognise the voice of me if I were to let you ___?" or "If I were to let you ____, this is what I'd say." See how these are different? You can use punctuation to help and make sure that you convey the right meaning. Hm, then we have the last line. It's also a little unclear, which isn't great. Since you've had such good imagery, and that other great line in the beginning/middle, you really need to end on a stronger note. It's got to be final, a closing, more weighty so that it stays with the readers, if you know what I mean.

Okay, so looking back, it kind of seems like you started off with an idea, then got into the groove of things and got some great lines and imagery. Hopefully you get that last line a little more powerful, but then you should go back to the beginning. I think you should try to match the flow and tone of the beginning a little more to the later bits, or at least go back into it and see if your message and feelings are consistent throughout or if they change.

Nice job with this, I hope you found something in here helpful! It's a neat poem, though I do wish that you had extended the "burnt out stars" metaphor a little more and mentioned something about space in the second half to give it a bit of a connection with the first bit. Anyway, good luck on future writing, and welcome again! :)

-Q

thetwofridas says...

Thanks so much for this it was extremely helpful! I can honestly say I wrote this poem really fast and I just wrote what I was feeling at the time. I was very aware that it probably wouldn't make much sense to anybody but me.

If you're curious the first few lines are about how I know that this person wouldn't pretend like he felt anything less than what he did. In that, if he truly did like me he would have told me. And since he didn't tell me I knew my feelings were unrequited.

And if you're curious about the last few lines what I was trying to get at was I'm a terribly shy person and don't say how I'm feeling very often. So I'm asking if he would want to get to know me if I were to let him. And if so I think I could open up to him. It might sound a bit silly but as I say it's just what I was feeling at the time.

Sorry for the long response!

Que says...

Haha I always write my poetry way too fast as well, I've been trying to slow down my process. I'm glad I was able to help, though! Those other lines make more sense now too in this context. :)

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:46 pm
StuckOnEarth wrote a review...

Hi! I'm Space, and I found this poem and thought it was beautiful and I decided I should make a review.

I love all the description, it makes the poem really vivid and pretty, especially "a sunflower stem, the sun breaking through a hurricane, your windpipe filling with rain, like honey seeping to the bottom of the ocean" etc. It's just very metaphorical, and it's perfectly added into the poem so it just rolls right of your tongue.

One thing I found about the line about honey seeping through ocean was that it's very beautiful, it paints a pretty image in your mind, but what does it mean? What is it a metaphor? The message it is sending seems unclear.

Other then that, I found nothing wrong with this poem, and I think it's very beautiful.

Great job! :D

-Space

thetwofridas says...

Hi! Thanks so much for reviewing! The line, 'honey seeping to the bottom of the sea,' is just a description of his voice. It mightn't make much sense but it's just how I was feeling at the time, and in my mind at least, it describes his voice quite nicely :D

StuckOnEarth says...

That's cool! Even though readers may not understand, it still makes sense to you and makes a very pretty poem, so I think it's great in the poem. :)

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:58 pm
TheBlueCat wrote a review...

Hullo thetwofridas! Cat here to review this lovely poem! Okay then, here we go! :D

First, let's go through your poem together (Anything in bold is my comments/suggestions/grammar help):

Or your dreams,

That they were not shooting but dying,

That we were not strong, we were desperate, (This sentence doesn't quite make sense)

And dear god, why can’t I say what I mean? (I know that feeling)

A clatter of a spoon,

A sunflower stem,

The sun breaking through a hurricane,

Your windpipe filling with rain,

Like honey seeping to the bottom of the sea, (Great imagery, but I would like to know how these all connect to remind you of this other persons voice)

Would you recognise the voice of me, (RecogniZe)

If I were to let you,

This is what I’d say,

What I liked: I love all the emotions you poured into this poem!

What to fix grammar/spelling wise: I got nothing! Good job! :D

Plot holes/confusing stuff: You poured a lot of emotion into this poem, but the whole poem seem pointless and doesn't really get anywhere. This could just be me, because I'm very blind.

Other random comments: I don't see a need to italicize the whole poem. If you want certain parts to stand out more than others, you can use italics, but otherwise it doesn't add anything to the poem as a whole.

Well anyways, love the poem! Good job and keep writing! :D

thetwofridas says...

thanks for the critiques I really appreciate it! Spelling recognise with a 'z' is actually an American spelling and since I'm not American I spell it with a 's' Thanks again! :D

TheBlueCat says...

oOH I have the same problem with grey vs. gray. Gotcha!

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:23 pm
CaptainPanda13 wrote a review...

I like your work, especially this. Would love to see more from you :D

thetwofridas says...

thank you!

I'm effortlessly ironic.
— Link Neal