Unworthy Hero ~ Chapter 7

by thedevinhiggins

I hadn't even realized I had fallen asleep working until I woke up with my laptop still open and on my lap. I checked the time on my watch: 6:52 a.m.

“My morning shift!” I exclaimed.

I scrambled out of my bed and changed into my Sal's uniform, then grabbed my car keys and left without eating breakfast.

"I'm so going to get fired," I said as I pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant. I scrambled inside and attempted to act like I had been there the whole time. Cooks ran between ovens, stoves, and freezers to accumulate ingredients while I dodged them. I managed to find my way up to the podium, where my coworker Peter was handing out menus to the customers in the waiting area.

"Hey, sorry I'm late," I said quickly, putting on my Sal's Rocks! button on my shirt. "Just overslept a bit."

"Sarah, Sal's going to fire you!" Peter hissed.

"Please don't tell him!" I pleaded. "I need this job, and I'm already on edge with my other job."

Peter sighed. "Fine."

I smiled. "Thanks!"

We stood together in silence. We casually organized reservations, gave people menus, and guided them to tables. Before I knew it, my shift was over. I picked up my backpack and took my car keys out of my pocket. I was about to hang my hat up and leave when I heard Sal clear his throat behind me.

"Sarah Robinson?" He asked smugly. "Come see me in my office."

I nodded and followed him through a hall I hadn't bothered to notice before. He opened the door on the end and ushered me inside. He closed the door and sat at his desk, which had all sorts of knick-knacks cluttering it.

"I brought you here to talk about something, Sarah."

I closed my eyes. Here it was.

"One of your fellow workers told me you came in late, and by about half an hour, too! Is that true?"

Peter ratted me out? But he promised not to tell Sal!

I then realized I still deserved it. I brought this on myself.

"Yes," I said softly.

Sal nodded, his expression indifferent. I didn't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing. When his eyes narrowed, however, I knew it was bad. He stood up from his chair and slammed his hands on his desk.

"Alright. So you think you can come in on your own schedule, huh? Well, at Sal's, you can't come in whenever you want! You follow my rules, and my schedule!"

"I'm so sorry, sir!" I stammered. "I'll never do it again!"

"Oh, I know you won't, Sarah," Sal mused. "because you're fired!"

I looked at him, wide-eyed. "What?"

"That's right, princess. You're fired! Turn in your uniform by tomorrow morning, and after that, don't bother to show your face in here anymore!"

I gaped at him, speechless.

"But I need this job! Please, just one more chance!" I pleaded, clutching my hat.

Sal considered it, at least he acted like he was. He scratched his chin and scrunched his eyes in mock contemplation. Then he said,

"No, Sarah! You've had your chances! This is the third time you've come in late by at least two minutes last week!" I had to repress the urge to scoff and roll my eyes. "And thirty minutes? You know that's unacceptable here! I cannot have such...such irresponsible workers here!"

I sighed and lowered my head in defeat.

"Now get out of my sight."

I got up, trying to keep my hands from shaking. Trying to avoid his menacing gaze, I slipped out of the room without another word.

-----

I was so miserable, I hardly cared that I was late for class until I was almost back to the dorms. After that, I sped home without going too far over the speed limit and ran to class without changing out of my work uniform. Even though I was only about five minutes late, when I entered the classroom, the class was already having a deep discussion about me. Well, Time Turner me.

"...and we all know about her encounter with the new villain in town," Canada was saying. "It's still a mystery why she doesn't fight."

"Yes, that is true," Mr. Yin said. In an instant, I remembered: he was no ordinary teacher. When I caught his eye, he sneered. I felt my heartbeat suddenly quickening, and I hurried to find a seat in the back of the room.

“Well, it is true her dad died because he was punched off of a building,” another student said. “Maybe she didn’t want to do that to anyone else.”

Yes, I thought. That's exactly what happened.

I looked at Mr. Yin/Hung Zhu, who was listening intently. Suddenly a bell went off in my head.

"Sarah Robinson," Hung Zhu asked amusingly. "Do you have anything to add to this?"

I felt myself starting to sweat despite the air conditioner being right above me. I had no idea what to say.

"Well, I believe that...that Time Turner was...umm...that she used to be a Villain. Yeah, and after she changed her ways, she was still hesitant to fight her own kind, you know?" I knew it was an obvious lie, but I didn't want Hung Zhu to come any closer to the truth.

As I expected, there were bewildered whispers among the group of students. I tried to keep a straight face when Hung Zhu stared me down.

"Interesting proposition, Sarah," Hung Zhu said, trying to read me. "But she hasn't been a hero for too long. How could she change her ways so quickly?"

"It's likely she had a superhero family," Brady said, rolling his pencil up and down his desk. "So she could have that kind of influence, you know?"

"Doesn't that mean that she chose to become a villain?" Canada inquired. "If she's so afraid to 'fight her own kind', doesn't that mean she still has evil instincts?"

"I knew we still couldn't trust her!" A male student said from the front of the room.

The classroom then became increasingly loud as each student had to have his or her say in this matter. I buried my head in my hands, wondering why I started such a thing. But when I caught the confused and furious expression of Hung Zhu, I knew I had won this round.

-----

After Current Events, I made my way into Geometry, where Mr. Zimmern was waiting for everyone at his desk.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Zimmern," I said as I made my way to the closest desk from the door. "What are we doing today?"

"Something exciting!" Mr. Zimmern exclaimed, throwing his arms in the air and spinning around in his swivel chair.

He then did something I didn’t expect him to do. He looked around for anyone in vicinity, then beckoned for me to lean in closer to him.

"Listen," he started, dead serious. "I know you're Time Turner."

I froze up. He knew, too?

"I'm a Superhero, too. Arcane Bolt, to be exact."

"Arcane Bolt?" I asked in bewilderment and relief. I then realized I had said that a little too loudly. "I thought you were re-stationed a year ago!" I whispered.

"That's what I wanted the Villains here to think. Listen, Time Turner, I'm here because I heard rumors of a Villain posing as a teacher. Do you know if that's true?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I..."

I faltered, remembering Hung Zhu's threat.

"Oh, I wouldn't do that. If you tell the authorities, I tell the class your identity."

"Never mind!" I said with a nervous laugh. "I've got no idea!"

Arcane Bolt nodded. "Alright. Let me know if you have your suspicions."

I nodded and sat down in my seat, trying to suppress a sick feeling in my gut that ended up lasting the entire period.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:24 am
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again!! Happy review day! Let's get this chapter out of the green room too! :)

Like I mentioned in my last review, a lot of things happen in this chapter. I think each of the three events are important, but like I mentioned in my other review everything happens so fast it's hard to focus in on each scene. I don't know if you'll need to break this chapter up, but I definitely think each scene could be beefed up a little more.

In each of the scenes I could use more description overall. There isn't a strong sense of place and I want to feel each scene I'm in. Where are we? What does it look like? What's going on around her as she moves through each of these scenes. You can show us by first describing the setting but also by weaving in some of those descriptive details as the scene progresses. More showing overall. This is something I always have to go back and add stuff like this in too :)

I like how you show her emotions throughout the story. Even though I don't have all of the context and I don't fully know her, I like seeing some of her vulnerability. I also like that this is a multi-layered plot and that you have several different elements going on. It can be hard to balance, but it creates a more engaging story.

I'll leave things there for now, but let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like feedback about something I didn't mention! :D

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:31 am

Hi Shikora here.

I really like how this story is going. I can tell your getting into it a lot better now. This chapter was very different to the last ones I've read. A lot of things are happening in Sarah's life at the moment, and it isn't just her superhero life that is going wrong. I really like it that she is under a lot of stress and now she needs to find a new job.
I really like the way your plot is going at he moment. I like the tension in the air. It just makes the story a lot better. I think If you ever think of going back on this story you could do a lot with it.
I like it that your going into Sarah's thought a bit in this chapter, it makes it very interesting.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your story. I hope it takes and epic turn. Never stop writing and have a great day/night.

Your friend
Shikora. :D

Doors are for people with no imagination.
— Skulduggery Pleasant